. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm

xtgg5020

New

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Post by xtgg5020 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks Kev for all those information!

I have a question about the on campus housing lottery. It seems that in the past all 1L applying for on campus housing are granted, even though not necessary their first choices. So if I want double bedrooms, can I only list the double bedroom options on my application so that I'm guaranteed to get a double bedroom whatever type it is?

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:33 pm

xtgg5020 wrote:Thanks Kev for all those information!

I have a question about the on campus housing lottery. It seems that in the past all 1L applying for on campus housing are granted, even though not necessary their first choices. So if I want double bedrooms, can I only list the double bedroom options on my application so that I'm guaranteed to get a double bedroom whatever type it is?
We didn't get into the lottery process that deep in my tour group - most of us were non-traditional, older students that will be living off campus. Really the only thing I learned was if a 1L applies to live on campus, they are the priority and will most likely end up getting it. I'm not sure how the preference system works though. I would contact the housing folks with that specific question or maybe someone that was in another tour group that asked that question will chime in.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Did anybody find the other admitted students at Georgetown to be a little stuffy? There were a lot of nerdy, intellectual types IMO. Not to say people were rude or disrespectful, but most students at the open house didn't seem to be particularly outgoing. Then again it's entirely possible that's the case at all law schools.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:35 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Did anybody find the other admitted students at Georgetown to be a little stuffy? There were a lot of nerdy, intellectual types IMO. Not to say people were rude or disrespectful, but most students at the open house didn't seem to be particularly outgoing. Then again it's entirely possible that's the case at all law schools.
Well as a 39 year old - I felt out of place at times - but I think that's because many didn't know how to react to someone as nontraditional as me - I think that'll change once Im going to class with them every day. I did run into a guy that's retiring from the military like I am - so that made me feel a little bit more comfortable. Oh and I did have one funny/awkward moment - a Yale kid asked me what courses I taught - guess it was the tie - I was overdressed on the first day! And like you, I did feel that most were not particularly outgoing - but, at least in my case, I think it might have been because the only real chance to chat was while transiting from event to event. There were definitely some nerds and intellectual types (met a few PhDs) but in most cases those were the guys/gals I found most cordial and fascinating. Plus I'm a bit of a nerd as well - so the nerds didn't bother me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Did anybody find the other admitted students at Georgetown to be a little stuffy? There were a lot of nerdy, intellectual types IMO. Not to say people were rude or disrespectful, but most students at the open house didn't seem to be particularly outgoing. Then again it's entirely possible that's the case at all law schools.

Well that's kind of a bummer post

zz24

New

Post by zz24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I personally felt the exact opposite of that. Ever person I met was capable, intelligent and interesting.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:18 pm

spencermcmanus

New

Post by spencermcmanus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:24 pm

zz24 wrote:I personally felt the exact opposite of that. Ever person I met was capable, intelligent and interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Beanie14

New

Post by Beanie14 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:29 pm

I think I met exactly one person who came off a little rude to me - everyone else I talked to was very cool and interesting. That said, there will probably be a decent number of stuffy people at any law school.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:48 am

Just to add to the discussion about the "stuffy" people at admit day -- I think this might help to explain why many, at any law school open house, might appear to be stuffy or not particularly outgoing. So I am a big fan of the Myers Briggs personality test......

Here are the top 6 Myers Briggs personality types found in lawyers:

ISTJ (17.8%)
ESTJ (10.3%)
INTJ (13.1%)
ENTP (9.7%)
INTP (9.4%)
ENTJ (9.0)

"I" stands for introvert and "E" stands for extrovert for those not familiar with the test. Almost 40% of the top 6 personality types for lawyers are introverts compared to 28% for extroverts. I think this might explain why many appear to be stuffy or not particularly outgoing.

If you haven't taken a Myers Briggs personality test - I recommend it - it isn't the ultimate decider on what you can do in life but it helps you understand yourself better in my humble opinion.

Just my 2 cents! :)

titusandronicus

New

Post by titusandronicus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 am

Just checking in. Received my letter in early January, and I can't make it to either ASW, so I look forward to hearing everyone's impressions.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:10 am

Gray wrote:I consistently test as INTJ so I enjoy this.
Pretty interesting how INTJs make up such a higher percentage of lawyers compared to their overall percentage. I am an ISTJ myself - the boring, most common personality type. I take solace in the idea that we have strength in numbers!

For those interested in the test: http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Can you tell my retirement started - I am bored out of my freaking mind! An ISTJ without deadlines is a lost soul! Law school can't start soon enough! :)

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I would have to agree a little bit here. There were a few times where people would look at my name tag, see that I go to a state school, and walk the other way as if i'm not worth talking to. However, there were plenty of friendly people as well. Very diverse group of students IMO, but definitely a little bit of snobbery there.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Gray wrote:
Shelbinole wrote:
I would have to agree a little bit here. There were a few times where people would look at my name tag, see that I go to a state school, and walk the other way as if i'm not worth talking to. However, there were plenty of friendly people as well. Very diverse group of students IMO, but definitely a little bit of snobbery there.
Do they put your UG institution on your name tag even if you aren't still in school?
yes they do!
I met a few people who were out of school or in grad school, their name tags all stated their UG institution

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:11 pm

Shelbinole wrote: There were a few times where people would look at my name tag, see that I go to a state school, and walk the other way as if i'm not worth talking to.
I wouldn't want to be friends with someone that acted like that anyway & I hope they don't choose GULC! If I detected a hint of that - I think I'd say something like this: "Yale huh? So would you consider yourself an intellectual equal to George Bush or are you more of a Pat Robertson type?" Socioeconomic factors play way too much of a role in where you go to undergraduate to ever judge someone by that.

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Shelbinole wrote:
Gray wrote:
Shelbinole wrote:
Do they put your UG institution on your name tag even if you aren't still in school?
yes they do!
I met a few people who were out of school or in grad school, their name tags all stated their UG institution
I'm one of those. I have been at grad school for almost 5 years, and they still put my undergrad on my tag. I was thrilled though that I met someone at the weekend who recognized my undergrad (small liberal arts, so it doesn't happen that often).

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:32 pm

I got ESFJ!

Can't remember if this matches my previous test - I think it was different. I think my previous result was more accurate though

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 pm

navykev wrote:
Shelbinole wrote: There were a few times where people would look at my name tag, see that I go to a state school, and walk the other way as if i'm not worth talking to.
I wouldn't want to be friends with someone that acted like that anyway & I hope they don't choose GULC! If I detected a hint of that - I think I'd say something like this: "Yale huh? So would you consider yourself an intellectual equal to George Bush or are you more of a Pat Robertson type?" Socioeconomic factors play way too much of a role in where you go to undergraduate to ever judge someone by that.
+1 just to let you know that I will be stealing using this if needed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:14 am

I'd like to offer my two cents:

This is more indicative of ASWs as a whole, than of GULC as a student body. I felt the same way meeting (non-TLSers) at Vandy and WUSTLs ASW. Once I arrived on campus for classes to begin, most people realize they will be colleagues not only for the next three years, but for their careers, so most are pretty out going, relatable, and fun to be around.

FWIW.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 am

tk17 wrote:
+1 just to let you know that I will be stealing using this if needed.
Roger and if you ever leave TLS I'm stealing your avatar! :mrgreen:

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:29 am

JustHawkin wrote:
FWIW.
Thanks JH - kinda figured that! Hope the second semester is going well!

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:42 am

Gray wrote:
navykev wrote: Here are the top 6 Myers Briggs personality types found in lawyers:
ISTJ (17.8%)
ESTJ (10.3%)
INTJ (13.1%)
ENTP (9.7%)
INTP (9.4%)
ENTJ (9.0)
There's only so much weight one can put on a personality assessment, but they're definitely fun - and, at least for me, the analysis of my Myers Briggs type is spot on.

Also interesting is how this compares to percentages in the general population:

ISTJ (11-14%)
ESTJ (8-12%)
INTJ (2-4%)
ENTP (2-5%)
INTP (3-5%)
ENTJ (2-5%)

I consistently test as INTJ so I enjoy this.
Interesting that the two most common personality types aren't on this list since they are so common. The two most common are ISFJ and ESFJ.
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-pers ... y-type.htm

Interesting that N personality types are so often lawyers since they are much more uncommon generally speaking.

I'm not surprised by the amount of J's there are, about what I'd assume.

I'm not applying to law school my husband is and he's an INTJ. He always gets INTJ and he took the long official test once. I'm probably an ENFP or ENFJ but I'm only a strong NF and I've never taken the official test. I'm trying to get work in HR currently but if that doesn't work out I'll probably go back to school to become an elementary teacher.

It's interesting that the huge majority of people who become lawyers are T's. After my husband started studying for the LSAT and I realized how analytical you need to be to do well on it - I'm not so surprised about all these T's - but I thought maybe one of the F personality types would make the list. T is the only thing all of these have in common. I'm curious where the other personality types rank in this list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”