. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
betty_bojangles

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Post by betty_bojangles » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 am

Gray wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:sooo i got the email, but after spending 20 minutes trying to get onto MyAccess and trying to figure out the difference between this and the admitted students website, there is no award available. wut. am i doing this wrong?

Edit: nvm excessive refreshing has worked. "Deans Tuition Grant" = merit award right?
I'm not sure, but there is this on the site:

"Dean's Tuition Grants are awarded to approximately 1/3 of the full-time J.D. class based on financial need."

That seems to imply need-based?
:shock: Hopefully that is it. Mine seems kind of low for merit, but high for need.. Can anyone who has received both merit and need comment on what each is listed as in the financial aid breakdown?

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Soooo what did everyone think of ASW?? Kind of overwhelming but overall I feel much more set in my decision. Glad I got to meet a few of you and hope I see you in the fall!

BTW while I was at ASW (as in literally on campus), I got waitlisted at Emory (wtf) and Michigan. It's like they could sense my current location!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:18 pm

tuxedocat wrote:Soooo what did everyone think of ASW?? Kind of overwhelming but overall I feel much more set in my decision.
Yes, and fill in those of us who couldn't make it!

MennetoC

New

Post by MennetoC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Anyone still at the ASW want to go out tonight?

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:00 pm

MennetoC wrote:Anyone still at the ASW want to go out tonight?
Possibly? I have an early train to NYC tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MennetoC

New

Post by MennetoC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:24 pm

tuxedocat wrote:
MennetoC wrote:Anyone still at the ASW want to go out tonight?
Possibly? I have an early train to NYC tomorrow.
I'm going to the wizards game at 7, will prolly look to go out at 10 near the GT main campus.

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:39 pm

usn26 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:Soooo what did everyone think of ASW?? Kind of overwhelming but overall I feel much more set in my decision.
Yes, and fill in those of us who couldn't make it!
I thought it was solid. They really emphasized the advantages of GULC's location in D.C., both in terms of access/vicinity to nonprofits/NGOs, policymakers, Supreme Court etc., and in that many of your professors and adjuncts are also doing incredible things -- you can go to Washington, and Washington comes to you. They made clear that they're a very service-oriented school, and played up their public interest programs and dedicated office of career services for PI students. I didn't get a huge sense of their focus on private sector/big law, but I might have also just zoned out during that (maybe someone else can speak to it). At times I thought their focus on "community" felt a bit forced, but I liked a lot of people (especially TLSers, oviously) that I met -- good mix of older people and K-JDs. They also made an effort to show that although the classes are huge, sections are manageable and the size means they have a ton of resources and course offerings.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:49 pm

neeksneeks wrote:
Dipper wrote:
canadianbrother wrote:Tuition went up 4% from 53,130 to 55,255. :(

If it continues to increase at this rate, we'll be paying 57,465 in 2L and 59,763 in 3L.
Can you point me to where you found the increase/new tuition? I can't seem to find it...

I was wondering the same thing. The Admitted Students site just says "2015-2016 Estimated Expenses will be available late spring."
Found it!
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... -15-16.pdf

According to my review of GULC's four previous 509s, tuition has increased anywhere from 3.99% to 4.4% every year. Yikes. As canadianbrother points out, we'll be paying $59,764 for 3L. I don't suppose there's a ceiling on this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:51 pm

how does renewing need-based aid work? can they just arbitrarily lower it in our 2nd and 3rd years?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:04 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:how does renewing need-based aid work? can they just arbitrarily lower it in our 2nd and 3rd years?
I receive both types of aid, and AFAIK, it renews automatically -- I would be very surprised if they lowered need-based aid for any reason other than you report some sort of additional aid in subsequent years, like if you win the lottery or something.

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 pm

tuxedocat wrote:If anyone's checking this, I was told that people are moving over to Dan's in Adams Morgan. My group seems to be the first one here, but chatting with some current students. Come by! I am wearing an extremely pink rain jacket.
Student ambassadors took admitted students to Dan's? That's hysterical. The previous few years ambassadors were super uptight about the whole process.

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:40 am

Gray wrote:+1 to everything Dipper said. Obviously I loved every minute of it.

Also I asked about the financial aid email from yesterday. It was for need based aid only, so doesn't necessarily include merit aid. If your merit scholarship has already been decided (and communicated to financial aid), it would show up on myaccess, but if you haven't received anything from admissions yet, the amount there does NOT include merit aid.
Whew! Thanks for sharing!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:04 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:If anyone's checking this, I was told that people are moving over to Dan's in Adams Morgan. My group seems to be the first one here, but chatting with some current students. Come by! I am wearing an extremely pink rain jacket.
Student ambassadors took admitted students to Dan's? That's hysterical. The previous few years ambassadors were super uptight about the whole process.
Hahaha it was EXTREMELY unofficial, someone just walked around and invited people. I think ambassadors were a bit, um, looser because of celebrating SBA elections. Which actually I kind of appreciated because it's nice to see that people are still enthusiastic about GULC even after a few drinks.

kimaginary4s

New

Post by kimaginary4s » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:47 pm

I have been in love with Georgetown Law since the beginning of college (perhaps for no rational reasons), but this past open house showed me just how deserving Georgetown is of every bit of my love. I cannot wait to go there. Really, really, really hope they get back to me on merit-based $ soon...

And I agree that they put a lot of emphasis on public interest, and apparently about 40% of each class goes into public sector. I don't know if it means we are less competitive in the private sector or if that's just a self-selection bias with more people who are interested in government wanting to come here.

Before I hear anything I'm just gonna pretend its the latter...

gilessanderson

Bronze

Post by gilessanderson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:36 pm

tuxedocat wrote:Soooo what did everyone think of ASW?? Kind of overwhelming but overall I feel much more set in my decision. Glad I got to meet a few of you and hope I see you in the fall!
In all honestly, I thought Andy would be taller. But I very much enjoyed it, the faculty moot was great. Still waiting on merit aid but will most likely be attending in the fall.

Hedgehogday

New

Post by Hedgehogday » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi all,
For those not living close to DC, how are you doing your apartment searches?
Also, anyone have thoughts about the pros and cons between living in the dorm vs. an apartment? Thank you :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:13 pm

gilessanderson

Bronze

Post by gilessanderson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Hedgehogday wrote: Also, anyone have thoughts about the pros and cons between living in the dorm vs. an apartment? Thank you :)
From what I've heard..
dorm pros: convenience of being on campus, literally right next to classes, libraries, gym, etc. Good socially, especially if your recently out of undergrad and don't know many people in the dc area. Convenience of not having to do an apartment search
dorm cons: Expensive for what you get, rooms are very much dorms, not apartments. Forced to always be in the law school atmosphere
Conversely...
apartment pros: can get more for your money. The ability to "get away"/not always be surrounded by law students/law school environment.
apartment cons: farther from campus (although many are very close), could potentially be more difficult to get involved socially (although not necessarily), apartment searching sucks

CaptainJapan

Bronze

Post by CaptainJapan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:51 am

Glad ASW was a hit with everyone on this thread...I've really got to get up for a long weekend at some point this spring.

anyone planning on living on campus seen/heard anything about the housing form yet?

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:55 am

Hedgehogday wrote:Hi all,
I'm planning to fly back for a few days in early July and hope to nail down a place then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:05 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

xtgg5020

New

Post by xtgg5020 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 am

fhmx wrote:
xtgg5020 wrote:
kimaginary4s wrote:Bummer, got waitlisted for GLS...
When did you apply? I still haven't heard anything back from them. It's been few weeks now...
I just made a phone call to the Admission office, she said that they haven't finished reviewing all applications, and every applicant will be getting something at the end of this week.
Have you heard back about GLS yet? I still haven't got anything...

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Dipper wrote:
Hedgehogday wrote:Hi all,
I'm planning to fly back for a few days in early July and hope to nail down a place then.
Congrats on picking btw Dip! Good luck at GULC!
Thanks! Does this mean you're not going.... ? :cry: :cry:

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”