. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
kray

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Post by kray » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:01 pm

zacharus85 wrote:there's always 'that guy' who argues with the prof why such and such a rule doesn't make sense or shouldn't exist.
Honestly, this is kind of what I'm concerned about -- I'm PI focused and would love a less gunner-ish more NPR and prius-driving vibe (lolz) but some of those 'interdisciplinary' classes in undergrad ended up attracting a lot of people constantly talking about how they felt about the issues and relating personal experience, and that's just a pet peeve of mine. But the actual curriculum sounds interesting. IDK.

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:51 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Curriculum B has more reading and looks not just at what the law is, but 'why' it is and encourages more critical thinking.

As a non-curriculum B student, it is annoying that they let this lot intermingle with the rest of us. It's all well and good for 1L, but there's always 'that guy' who argues with the prof why such and such a rule doesn't make sense or shouldn't exist.
There should be an option halfway through 1L Fall where the normal sections get to vote our most annoying policy gunner off the island and into Section 3. And then in return Section 3 could send us their unwanted quiet dudes who just want to comprehend the statutes and learn what the law is.

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 pm

So my intent to enroll form doesn't say anything about having to withdraw all apps if you waive the deposit. Where does it say this? Also we are pretty sure that this isn't a binding form right?

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:58 am

betty_bojangles wrote:So my intent to enroll form doesn't say anything about having to withdraw all apps if you waive the deposit. Where does it say this? Also we are pretty sure that this isn't a binding form right?
Yeah, there's a companion form that you have to submit in order to waive the first deposit, and that form does say that you have to withdraw and not apply to any more and what not.

ETA: The "Optional Tuition Deposit Waiver Commitment Form"

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:38 am

DrSpaceman wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:So my intent to enroll form doesn't say anything about having to withdraw all apps if you waive the deposit. Where does it say this? Also we are pretty sure that this isn't a binding form right?
Yeah, there's a companion form that you have to submit in order to waive the first deposit, and that form does say that you have to withdraw and not apply to any more and what not.

Ohh okay. I see that the intent form has "see attached" next to that option, but they didn't attach anything else. Oh well I just won't waive then. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 am

WHERE IS MY SCHOLLY? :|

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:21 am

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 am

Triangle

New

Post by Triangle » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:25 am

commandercup wrote:WHERE IS MY SCHOLLY? :|
+1000. I e-mailed yesterday and haven't heard back yet. Trying to decide whether they'd prefer a limb or my firstborn in exchange for some $$.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:28 am

Gray wrote:
DrSpaceman wrote:

OK so vis a vis this ^

what happens if we select that we'll pay the deposit, and then submit the deposit waiver form before May 1 instead? Like I'd like to keep my negotiation alive but I also will be on the struggle bus if I have to pay the $1,000.
So I sent my form in and chose the "will pay by May 1" option. Then they responded and said hey thanks we will see you in the fall btw we waived your deposits because you are a "Law Center Scholar." Not sure what this means...

P.S. Negotiation worked and they upped my $$. Looks like 120k is not the ceiling btw.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:29 am

betty_bojangles wrote:Looks like 120k is not the ceiling btw.
Really? FML
Last edited by Hand on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:33 am

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:48 am

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Looks like 120k is not the cieling btw.
Really? FML
lol

But nice work Betty! Congrats!

I wonder if law center scholar just means scholarship recipient or if you're a special snowflake?
Thank you! I think I saw a similar outcome for someone else on one of these threads (regarding deposit waive), so I think it just means scholarship recipient?? I don't know though. Why would they give an option to waive and then waive people who didn't opt to waive..? Everyone is saying this thing isn't binding but now I feel guilty...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

accessislife

Bronze

Post by accessislife » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:03 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
So I sent my form in and chose the "will pay by May 1" option. Then they responded and said hey thanks we will see you in the fall btw we waived your deposits because you are a "Law Center Scholar." Not sure what this means...

P.S. Negotiation worked and they upped my $$. Looks like 120k is not the ceiling btw.
Congrats! I noticed a $145k on LSN - 120k def not ceiling!

chicago_01

New

Post by chicago_01 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:26 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
Gray wrote:
DrSpaceman wrote:

OK so vis a vis this ^

what happens if we select that we'll pay the deposit, and then submit the deposit waiver form before May 1 instead? Like I'd like to keep my negotiation alive but I also will be on the struggle bus if I have to pay the $1,000.

Law Center Scholar is a type of scholarship. I was also very confused about this, so I called and spoke with someone about it. Basically, waiving the deposits is a risk they take with those who get that scholarship. Its not binding, and you can literally ride it out until the end and change your mind with no penalty. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that's what they said!

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:29 pm

chicago_01 wrote:
Law Center Scholar is a type of scholarship. I was also very confused about this, so I called and spoke with someone about it. Basically, waiving the deposits is a risk they take with those who get that scholarship. Its not binding, and you can literally ride it out until the end and change your mind with no penalty. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that's what they said!
Noiceeeeeeeeeeee.

mshahsm

New

Post by mshahsm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:05 pm

Last edited by mshahsm on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:10 pm

mshahsm wrote:Officially joining you fools in DC! So excited.

This has probably been discussed, but what resources are you using to find housing? Anyone bringing/planning to buy/lease a car?
Congrats; see you there. I'll be bringing a car, because I love America.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:20 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:

This has probably been discussed, but what resources are you using to find housing? Anyone bringing/planning to buy/lease a car?
Congrats; see you there. I'll be bringing a car, because I love America.
He doesn't really love America, it's a Prius
hehehe so true

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kray

Bronze

Post by kray » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:27 pm

I live in DC and somehow own an SUV (I actually love America). Depending on neighborhood, if you're willing to have to work for it sometimes street parking is alright and super cheap.

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Welp, finally got scholarship decision. Nothing. Thanks a lot :evil:

mshahsm

New

Post by mshahsm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Last edited by mshahsm on Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Looks like 120k is not the cieling btw.
Really? FML
lol

But nice work Betty! Congrats!

I wonder if law center scholar just means scholarship recipient or if you're a special snowflake?
On myaccess mine says Law Center Scholar but I still have to deposit by May 1st.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”