Michigan Law c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW will you attend?

March 19-21
34%
April 9-11
42%
Neither
24%

Total votes: 71

hearsay77

Silver

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2018

Post by hearsay77 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:43 am

taptaptop wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Quick question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. When you go to the admitted student site and view your personal award info, does it have your scholarship listed per year or as a total or in some other way? Also is the amount the same as the merit award that you were sent via email? I think theres a discrepancy in mine but I want to make sure before I call the school and try to figure it out.

Edit: If a summer starter could respond that would be great because I'm realizing it might have to do with being summer start.

Summer start here. It shows the scholarship for you in 3 semesters (half of the full scholarship you have) since 2015-2016 actually means summer, fall, winter for us.
Thank you! That makes sense, I was a little confused.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Second successful negotiation with Michigan!

vm18

New

Post by vm18 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:32 am

hearsay77 wrote:For summer starters, does accepting summer start mean you're giving up/withdrawing from any/all waitlists you might still have at that point? I know a lot of wait lists don't move until June/July, at which point we would already be halfway through our first semester, so I assume we would have to withdraw waitlists and give up on them, but just looking for some clarification.

Did you ever get an answer for this? Thanks!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:40 pm

vm18 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:For summer starters, does accepting summer start mean you're giving up/withdrawing from any/all waitlists you might still have at that point? I know a lot of wait lists don't move until June/July, at which point we would already be halfway through our first semester, so I assume we would have to withdraw waitlists and give up on them, but just looking for some clarification.

Did you ever get an answer for this? Thanks!
No I didn't, but even if I end up at Michigan I only have one waitlist so I'm not super concerned about it anymore. Sorry!

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:51 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Second successful negotiation with Michigan!
lol@we only negotiate once. Thanks for letting us know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mina_ami

New

Post by mina_ami » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Tentative Summer Schedule is up for Summer Starters!

https://www.law.umich.edu/currentstuden ... ?term=2040

KingsleyZissou

New

Post by KingsleyZissou » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 pm

mina_ami wrote:Tentative Summer Schedule is up for Summer Starters!

Nice, thank you! I was just looking at this earlier today, and it wasn't up yet. Thanks for posting!

I wonder when we find out which group (A/B/C/D) we are in. Maybe orientation?

mina_ami

New

Post by mina_ami » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:57 pm

KingsleyZissou wrote:
mina_ami wrote:Tentative Summer Schedule is up for Summer Starters!

Nice, thank you! I was just looking at this earlier today, and it wasn't up yet. Thanks for posting!

I wonder when we find out which group (A/B/C/D) we are in. Maybe orientation?
I remember talking to a summer starter at ASW, and it sounds like Dean Z messes with who's in what section up to then, so I would assume we won't find out til then.

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:14 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shyguy4

New

Post by Shyguy4 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I tried negotiating via e-mail with the admissions office using the classic "michigan is my number one choice (which it actually is), but graduating with debt is a concern" and received a very swift reply that stated "we can almost guarantee your request for additional scholarship will not be met".

I was somewhat insulted at the fact that they wouldn't even forward my request to a scholarship committee or even consider the request at all. I used competing offers from two peer schools which offered me more than Michigan and a full tuition scholarship from a T20 school, yet they seemed to flat out reject my request and I am continually seeing people talk about their successful negotiations. I have a solid GPA and an LSAT score of 17X. I am considering making an appointment with the financial aid office to go in an negotiate in person, but has anyone else received this type of response from Michigan during their attempt to negotiate? I am not quite sure what to think about the way they are handling this.

TheDogWhisperer

New

Post by TheDogWhisperer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Brothers and sisters. I would like to sublease my room in a 3 bedroom apartment 1 minutes away from the LS walking in south state st for the summer. Available from May 7th until Saturday, August 22nd. It has everything you'll need in an apartment + A/C. Rent will be cheap. PM me if interested.

queerqueg

New

Post by queerqueg » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Shyguy4 wrote:I tried negotiating via e-mail with the admissions office using the classic "michigan is my number one choice (which it actually is), but graduating with debt is a concern" and received a very swift reply that stated "we can almost guarantee your request for additional scholarship will not be met".

I was somewhat insulted at the fact that they wouldn't even forward my request to a scholarship committee or even consider the request at all. I used competing offers from two peer schools which offered me more than Michigan and a full tuition scholarship from a T20 school, yet they seemed to flat out reject my request and I am continually seeing people talk about their successful negotiations. I have a solid GPA and an LSAT score of 17X. I am considering making an appointment with the financial aid office to go in an negotiate in person, but has anyone else received this type of response from Michigan during their attempt to negotiate? I am not quite sure what to think about the way they are handling this.
You should have sent the request to lawfinaid. Also, they will only reconsider if there's a "significant" discrepancy between the amount they awarded you and the amount awarded from a peer school. That's what they say at least, and who knows what qualifies as significant.

My guess is that you came off entitled, but it's also likely that they're running out of funds.

Shyguy4

New

Post by Shyguy4 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:10 pm

queerqueg wrote:
Shyguy4 wrote:I tried negotiating via e-mail with the admissions office using the classic "michigan is my number one choice (which it actually is), but graduating with debt is a concern" and received a very swift reply that stated "we can almost guarantee your request for additional scholarship will not be met".

You should have sent the request to lawfinaid. Also, they will only reconsider if there's a "significant" discrepancy between the amount they awarded you and the amount awarded from a peer school. That's what they say at least, and who knows what qualifies as significant.

My guess is that you came off entitled, but it's also likely that they're running out of funds.
I believe my request was sincere, I am from Michigan and I made it clear that UMich was #1. I spoke to someone on TLS that had successfully negotiated with Michigan and they sent their e-mail to the same address I did (admissions office) and there was a large discrepancy, (25K difference at Cornell and 35K difference at Gtown and over 100K difference at the T20). I just don't know whether I should actually make an appointment to speak in person about this or whether it is futile for me at this point.

Additionally, it seems that many people are successfully negotiating scholarships every day and they post their news on this board, so I doubt it was the lack of funding. I'm just confused at this point, every other school I negotiated with was more polite and awarded me more aid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 am

Shyguy4 wrote:
queerqueg wrote:

I believe my request was sincere, I am from Michigan and I made it clear that UMich was #1. I spoke to someone on TLS that had successfully negotiated with Michigan and they sent their e-mail to the same address I did (admissions office) and there was a large discrepancy, (25K difference at Cornell and 35K difference at Gtown and over 100K difference at the T20). I just don't know whether I should actually make an appointment to speak in person about this or whether it is futile for me at this point.

Additionally, it seems that many people are successfully negotiating scholarships every day and they post their news on this board, so I doubt it was the lack of funding. I'm just confused at this point, every other school I negotiated with was more polite and awarded me more aid.
Are the 25k/35k differences in the amount of scholarship awarded or in the COA? If they're just in the scholarship amount and the COA is much closer than that, that could make a difference. COL in Ann Arbor is much less than DC (and idk about Ithaca).

usernotfound

Bronze

Post by usernotfound » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 am

I got a similar response, saying they don't re-access scholarship amounts.

BrannigansLaw

New

Post by BrannigansLaw » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 pm

usernotfound wrote:

I got a similar response, saying they don't re-access scholarship amounts.
Same, here, though I got back a very nice email from admissions indicating that the financial aid office is open to engaging on these types of situations, but that without a compelling argument, they weren't going to up my merit scholly and that I was welcome to call and discuss further. (I did - bottom line: 1. Michigan should be the right choice outside of financial considerations; 2. Cornell's offer of 2/3 tuition wasn't compelling.) I'm well above GPA 75th and between 25th-50th for LSAT.

Not happy about the result, but generally pleased at how the admissions officer handled the interaction. Probably won't be able to attend Michigan with my current offer, though, so meh.

Anywho, just thought I'd share my experience. Congrats to those of you who have had success!

Bird Lawyer

New

Post by Bird Lawyer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:46 pm

I originally sent Michigan an offer from a T20 that was around $40k higher, they didn't up my $. I then sent them an offer that was $35k higher from a peer, and they still wouldn't up it. With my first rejection they said they needed a difference in COA from a peer of at least $15k, then in my second rejection said at least $35k. I just withdrew.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:16 am

Bird Lawyer wrote:I originally sent Michigan an offer from a T20 that was around $40k higher, they didn't up my $. I then sent them an offer that was $35k higher from a peer, and they still wouldn't up it. With my first rejection they said they needed a difference in COA from a peer of at least $15k, then in my second rejection said at least $35k. I just withdrew.
That sucks, sorry to hear... It's strange that they wouldn't have consistent policies, or at least consistent messaging.

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 am

Can any Darrow recipients PM me? Looking to talk through thoughts on the Darrow as the deadline is fast approaching.

sneezus

Bronze

Post by sneezus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:41 am

also had a strange encounter re: negotiation, pm for details.

most likely depositing though; i like the school, and they were generous.

Shelbinole

Bronze

Post by Shelbinole » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:56 am

Bird Lawyer wrote:I originally sent Michigan an offer from a T20 that was around $40k higher, they didn't up my $. I then sent them an offer that was $35k higher from a peer, and they still wouldn't up it. With my first rejection they said they needed a difference in COA from a peer of at least $15k, then in my second rejection said at least $35k. I just withdrew.
When I negotiated with them I had an offer of 60k difference with a peer so maybe they really are looking for large differences. I'm sorry that happened to you though.
I'm sure you'll do well wherever you end up!!! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Vermonster

New

Post by Vermonster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Got shut down when I tried to negotiate a second time. Oh well, it was worth a try! At least they are quick with responses relative to all the other schools.

Bird Lawyer

New

Post by Bird Lawyer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Shelbinole wrote:I'm sure you'll do well wherever you end up!!! :D
Thanks, let's hope so!!

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:20 am

Withdrawing with $$$ (non-Darrow), hope one of you gets it!

sneezus

Bronze

Post by sneezus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:28 pm

depositing Mich today, withdrawing from Columbia. see yall in ann arbor

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”