Michigan Law c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW will you attend?

March 19-21
34%
April 9-11
42%
Neither
24%

Total votes: 71

lokikoala

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2018

Post by lokikoala » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 pm

What time are people trying to arrive March 19th and depart the 21st? Or can you point me towards specific event details and their timing?

Thanks

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:17 pm

lokikoala wrote:What time are people trying to arrive March 19th and depart the 21st? Or can you point me towards specific event details and their timing?

Thanks
I'm not going to the March ASD but iirc, the admitted students website has more specifics.

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm

lokikoala wrote:What time are people trying to arrive March 19th and depart the 21st? Or can you point me towards specific event details and their timing?

Thanks
On the ASW it says registration starts at 1:00 PM (formal program starts at 3:30 PM) and that we'll be done by 12:00 PM on Saturday.

I'm probably going to end up catching a red-eye and getting in early because if I want to be on time it's either that or arriving a day early and paying for a hotel. Then I'm probably flying out around 3 to give myself enough time to shuttle back to the airport.

titusandronicus

New

Post by titusandronicus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:07 am

Checking in. Congrats to everyone! I was at UMich for undergrad, and my unbiased opinion is that Ann Arbor is the greatest city in the world. Hope to see you all there.

thatssoraven

New

Post by thatssoraven » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Turned in my application for the LC yesterday via email, got my confirmation today! It took a lot less time then I thought that it would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 pm

bought my tickets for ASW today! My first experience on Spirit Air should be...interesting.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:48 pm

For those of you attending the ASW in April, were you going to stay on Saturday? Or were you just going to leave at noon?

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:07 pm

lokikoala wrote:bought my tickets for ASW today! My first experience on Spirit Air should be...interesting.
I've used it a few times its really not that bad. If you've read the website you're prepared.

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:20 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
lokikoala wrote:bought my tickets for ASW today! My first experience on Spirit Air should be...interesting.
I've used it a few times its really not that bad. If you've read the website you're prepared.
paying to have a specific seat is beyond ridiculous. not to mention paying for carry-on. I hate airlines. except jetblue. but now they're going to start charging for baggage so everything sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:52 am

titusandronicus wrote:Checking in. Congrats to everyone! I was at UMich for undergrad, and my unbiased opinion is that Ann Arbor is the greatest city in the world. Hope to see you all there.
Ann Arbor is very nice and Michigan is a beautiful state. Most of you will probably be terribly busy during law school but there are plenty of nice places to go camping or nice towns on the lake to take weekend trips. Also some pretty places for doing day trips.

The Detroit Institute of Arts is in a gorgeous building with a stunning Diego Rivera mural, plus it has one of the largest permanent art collections in the country.

Oh yeah also Coney dogs are the best! And Hunter House burgers are delicious though they can be crazy busy sometimes. I've only been to the Ann Arbor location once, I usually go to the one in Birmingham close to where my grandparents live. I hear Ann Arbor has a lot of great places to eat and drink.

I often visit Michigan since my father's family almost all live in the mid-west and they love to do family reunions. My grandfather actually went to MLaw sometime in the 1950's and my grandmother has lived almost all her life in Michigan. Her father was a paint chemist for a car company. My husband will be applying to law schools next year and I enjoy helping him research. So hi everyone! :mrgreen:

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 am

lokikoala wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
paying to have a specific seat is beyond ridiculous. not to mention paying for carry-on. I hate airlines. except jetblue. but now they're going to start charging for baggage so everything sucks.
Midwest Airlines used to be great before they were bought out by Frontier Airlines. They used to have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies on all their flights that were cooked in tiny ovens and their economy seats were that middle size of seat between coach and first class so they were quite comfy. They last offered cookies in 2012. :(

On our honeymoon this past September we went to Turkey. Turkish Airlines is amazing! They gave us tons of good food even though we weren't first class, I can't remember if there was a first class. All their food didn't contain preservatives and was meant to be eaten within a few days based on the made on and eat by labels. They even gave us food on our less than an hour long domestic flights. They gave you a bread roll, butter, a salad or appetizer, a main course item, and a dessert. One time dessert was this delicious nut pastry thing, another time a chocolate banana pudding. One time a really good baba ganoush for an appetizer with a drizzle of olive oil and three kalamata olives on top. On our one long flight an option between a really good beef dish and a really good chicken dish. On our two different short flights the main course was a sandwich but it had thick high quality seasoned turkey and really flavorful tomatoes and cheese. I can't remember what all the different dishes were but they were all delicious. The plane was really clean and nicely decorated with fake flower arrangements near the entrance and the staff were really nice. On our long flight there was a special staff person with a chef hat and coat whose main job was properly heating the main entree so it wasn't under or over cooked. I like to imagine this is what flying was like back in the golden age of the American airplane industry, but maybe I'm wrong.

Our flights on Lufthansa and Air Canada was really mediocre when it came to food and service but I was happily surprised with the amount of food they gave us. And everything was better than I've had on a domestic American flight anytime recently. I remember in the early to mid 90's they still sometimes would give you complimentary meals other than a packet of pretzels or nuts, these days you are lucky if you even get that. It's hard to accept that these days most planes charge for taking luggage other than carry-ons. The amount of price gouging along with the reduced quality of service is ridiculous.

winterorange

New

Post by winterorange » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:35 am

Checking in! Booked my tickets for Michigan's April Preview. I look forward to meeting some of you! GO BLUE!

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Planning on being at the March preview weekend! Really looking forward to seeing campus and reading the freestyle line on everyone's nametags.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 pm

hillz wrote:Planning on being at the March preview weekend! Really looking forward to seeing campus and reading the freestyle line on everyone's nametags.
Totally excited about freestyle line. It's just those little things that are really pushing Michigan over the edge for me. That and the super friendly way they admit you on status checker. And personal note from Dean on acceptance letter. Keep it classy, Michigan.

tlcanny

New

Post by tlcanny » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:43 am

Anyone going to the either of the preview weekends want to carpool from TX/OK? I made the drive a week or so ago and its long but not bad at all. Two people can do it easily enough, more would be great. PM me if you're interested, I would certainly like to save on gas, and not having to drive the whole thing myself would be pretty great.

LSCHI

Bronze

Post by LSCHI » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:51 am

If we are on the subject of carpooling, I am going to the first ASW and will be driving from downtown Chicago. So if anyone is interested in tagging along for the drive, I'd be happy to have the company.

taptaptop

Bronze

Post by taptaptop » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Road trip 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adeel

New

Post by adeel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:06 am

People when is the right time to start looking for shelter in Ann Arbor? I d hopefully be "go[ing] blue" in the Fall semester. What is the range of different kind of rooms/apartments that can be availed? What budget do you look at if you want your private bathroom?

I am an international, who has never been to the US. Treat me as you d treat a toddler, and walk me through this mystery puzzle they call finding an accommodation. Is there anything called paying guest as well in Ann Arbor? Also I am not rich. At. all. Call me cheap but its cheap accommodation that I might be primarily interested in.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:20 am

adeel wrote:People when is the right time to start looking for shelter in Ann Arbor? I d hopefully be "go[ing] blue" in the Fall semester. What is the range of different kind of rooms/apartments that can be availed? What budget do you look at if you want your private bathroom?

I am an international, who has never been to the US. Treat me as you d treat a toddler, and walk me through this mystery puzzle they call finding an accommodation. Is there anything called paying guest as well in Ann Arbor? Also I am not rich. At. all. Call me cheap but its cheap accommodation that I might be primarily interested in.
How are you paying for law school if you're not rich at all? COL is much less than tuition, so if you just have to take out loans for that it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going cheap check out craigslist and look for a place with roommates, should be able to find a room for ~500 a month. you'll probably living with undergrads though if going cheap

adeel

New

Post by adeel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 am

How am I paying? There is a bit of scholarship money. The rest I m going to borrow from family and friends for the first year, and meanwhile look for ways to sail through the next two. Thinking of money makes me "Go Blue" - quite literally. Tuition is, still, a kind of an expense that needs to be taken care of despite whatever. Living cost, on the other hand, can be brought down by making smarter decisions and living in meager"er" circumstances.

In my head, it seems as if I am planning on a very expensive three year vacation.

goblue713

New

Post by goblue713 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:29 am

Hello! I'm a 2L at Michigan Law looking to sublet my room for the summer (at a very discounted rate) to any confirmed summer starters.

I live in an apartment building which is an 8-10 minute walk to campus. The room would be fully furnished, with a full-size bed, a dresser, a desk, and a TV. The apartment has internet and TV set up, the cost of which I would cover. There is a large common space, and a fully equipped kitchen with a dishwasher; there's also laundry in the basement. The apartment is also air conditioned. My roommate, a second-year PhD student, will be in and out throughout the summer (and entirely away for the month of July), and she is very easygoing and tidy. The apartment also has a small balcony. It comes with one parking spot as well.

Please message me if you're interested. It's a nice space and I'd love to help welcome a future Wolverine to Ann Arbor! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

city123

New

Post by city123 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:48 pm

I am a 3L looking to sublet my huge 1 bedroom apartment to an incoming summer starter. You can read more about it here (and see photos!): http://annarbor.craigslist.org/sub/4875485824.html. It's situated between downtown and the law school--about a 7 minute walk to either. I can rent it furnished or partially furnished (i.e. with my queen-size bed or without it). Comes with A/C, on-site laundry, and a parking spot. It's a very quiet building on a quiet block thankfully (as a 1L I accidentally lived between two sorority houses..I've heard enough drunk Katy Perry remakes to last a lifetime).

I can also answer general questions about housing in AA. It's way more expensive than I thought it would be. I pay $850/month for my 1 bedroom, and I can say that is a very good price for my location. I looked at 15 apartments before I found mine, because I didn't want to live somewhere that looked like it had been recently destroyed by a frat boy or pay over $1,000/month. Also, the rental market moves very quickly here--I signed my lease almost a year in advance. So if you are looking for next fall, don't sit on it too long because you are already several months behind. Also on-site laundry isn't a given here like it is in many places--so ask about it if that's important to you. Hope that helps!

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:30 am

Hey! Long time lurker, glad to be jumping in finally.

Michigan is the best school I've gotten into, and their propaganda has worked such wonders on me I'm actually catching myself hoping I won't get into other schools so I can just let myself jump all the way onto the Michigan bandwagon.

So, on to my question. I'm engaged, and will be married by the time I show up for orientation. Any other married/engaged/SO'd UMich admits out there?

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:Hey! Long time lurker, glad to be jumping in finally.

Michigan is the best school I've gotten into, and their propaganda has worked such wonders on me I'm actually catching myself hoping I won't get into other schools so I can just let myself jump all the way onto the Michigan bandwagon.

So, on to my question. I'm engaged, and will be married by the time I show up for orientation. Any other married/engaged/SO'd UMich admits out there?
welcome!

yep, married! I imagine it will be really nice to have the support during 1L.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:44 am

hillz wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:Hey! Long time lurker, glad to be jumping in finally.

welcome!

yep, married! I imagine it will be really nice to have the support during 1L.
Absolutely. Not to mention an actual income :wink:

Hopefully there will be a bunch of us. Is there a good chance you'll end up at UMich?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”