www.top-law-schools.com Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
TasmanianToucan

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Post by TasmanianToucan » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

xylocarp wrote:I think there are instructions about getting the email if you log into SIS? At least I think that's how I got my email. So far all I've gotten is spam from some tutoring service.
Xylo I'm being a jerk and quoting to get your attention. Can we do a poll for where everyone is going to live and/or when we're moving to VA?

I'm assuming at this point people are starting to have that stuff figured out and it might be nice to compare notes.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Thu May 28, 2015 5:06 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
xylocarp wrote:I think there are instructions about getting the email if you log into SIS? At least I think that's how I got my email. So far all I've gotten is spam from some tutoring service.
Xylo I'm being a jerk and quoting to get your attention. Can we do a poll for where everyone is going to live and/or when we're moving to VA?

I'm assuming at this point people are starting to have that stuff figured out and it might be nice to compare notes.
Yeah! What should be the poll options? Obviously Pavilion, Jeffersonian, Ivy Gardens... anyone else want to out where they're living/nominate a complex? Also have you decided yet, Toucan?
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Thu May 28, 2015 5:10 pm

xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

Yeah! What should be the poll options? Obviously Pavilion, Jeffersonian, Ivy Gardens... anyone else want to out where they're living/nominate a complex? Also have you decided yet, Toucan?
Yup! Arlington Park for us.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:08 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

Yup! Arlington Park for us.
Jeffersonian for me!

JMarie14

New

Post by JMarie14 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:30 pm

xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

Haven't heard anyone living here but im living in Stonefield Commons!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JMarie14

New

Post by JMarie14 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:30 pm

xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

Haven't heard of anyone living here but im living in Stonefield Commons!

MC819

New

Post by MC819 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:44 pm

City Walk for me!

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:59 pm

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 am

How is UVA bball looking for next year? Anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:How is UVA bball looking for next year? Anyone know?
Go back to your own thread Bortles.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:How is UVA bball looking for next year? Anyone know?
Go back to your own thread Bortles.
*Sadly go-karts

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:17 am

JMarie14 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

City Walk for us! Whee!

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:07 am

andthenIwaslike wrote:
JMarie14 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

City Walk for us! Whee!
Love the enthusiasm! How about that poll, Xylo?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:10 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:
JMarie14 wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

City Walk for us! Whee!
Love the enthusiasm! How about that poll, Xylo?
Make sure you have a Durham option!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:30 am

Poll's up. I made an option just for you, bortles
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:31 am

xylocarp wrote:Poll's up. I made an option just for you, bortles
I genuinely appreciate this.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:34 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Poll's up. I made an option just for you, bortles
I genuinely appreciate this.
Bortles it's time for you to finally admit you're one of us and come to UVA already.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:03 am

Section assignments will be posted by 4 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 14
Does that seem really late to anyone else? Frosh year is pretty hazy by this point, but I feeeel like I knew what my class schedule was going to be, like, months in advance.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:57 am

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Does that seem really late to anyone else? Frosh year is pretty hazy by this point, but I feeeel like I knew what my class schedule was going to be, like, months in advance.
I think it just varies a lot by school. For undergrad I got my first semester schedule during orientation, so later than UVA's timeline. Friends of mine got them at the beginning of summer. Similarly, those weirdos at GULC already got their sections...
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:18 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
2017'er here (yeah, I'll get back to my own thread soon) who had the same frustrations last year but in retrospect I really like how UVA does it:

1. It keeps people from doing 0L summer prep--not the possibly-helpful stuff like reading Getting to Maybe (which I didn't read but which some people said really helped them), but the always-unhelpful stuff like buying your casebook and reading/briefing cases over the summer. If you don't know your professors, the temptation to buy the casebooks won't be there and you can spend these last couple months doing things that will actually help you get ready for 1L (relaxing, traveling, earning some money, spending time with friends and family, slowly building your alcohol tolerance, etc.)

2. It allows 1L's to get to know each other during the first week everyone arrives in C'ville without segregating themselves by section. Obviously a lot of y'all will have work, family, and housing reasons to arrive just before orientation, but otherwise the best advice I can give is get to C'ville early. I moved in 2 weekends before (so for you guys, that would be the weekend of August 8-9) and spent that whole first week just getting to know my classmates. It was a blast. Then sections came out that Friday, and we had our first section get-togethers that weekend, which were also a blast. I loved my section, but if I had known the whole time what section I was going to be in, I probably would have just hung out with them the whole week and never gotten to know a bunch of people outside my section who ended up being pretty good friends during 1L year.

(tl;dr don't do 0L prep, get to Cville as early as your situation allows and go out and meet people before classes start!)

That all being said, your schedules are pretty much set already: all of you will have CivPro at 8:30, Torts at 10, Criminal Law at 2:10, and Contracts at 3:40. It's just a matter of figuring out which profs you have and on which days you have which classes.

Also I'm looking forward to meeting all you guys in a couple months!
Last edited by rhododactylos on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:26 pm

rhododactylos wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:
2017'er here (yeah, I'll get back to my own thread soon) who had the same frustrations last year but in retrospect I really like how UVA does it:

1. It keeps people from doing 0L summer prep--not the possibly-helpful stuff like reading Going to Maybe (which I didn't read but which some people said really helped them), but the always-unhelpful stuff like buying your casebook and reading/briefing cases over the summer. If you don't know your professors, the temptation to buy the casebooks won't be there and you can spend these last couple months doing things that will actually help you get ready for 1L (relaxing, traveling, earning some money, spending time with friends and family, slowly building your alcohol tolerance, etc.)

2. It allows 1L's to get to know each other during the first week everyone arrives in C'ville without segregating themselves by section. Obviously a lot of y'all will have work, family, and housing reasons to arrive just before orientation, but otherwise the best advice I can give is get to C'ville early. I moved in 2 weekends before (so for you guys, that would be the weekend of August 8-9) and spent that whole first week just getting to know my classmates. It was a blast. Then sections came out that Friday, and we had our first section get-togethers that weekend, which were also a blast. I loved my section, but if I had known the whole time what section I was going to be in, I probably would have just hung out with them the whole week and never gotten to know a bunch of people outside my section who ended up being pretty good friends during 1L year.

(tl;dr don't do 0L prep, get to Cville as early as your situation allows and go out and meet people before classes start!)

That all being said, your schedules are pretty much set already: all of you will have CivPro at 8:30, Torts at 10, Criminal Law at 2:10, and Contracts at 3:40. It's just a matter of figuring out which profs you have and on which days you have which classes.

Great post! I actually am moving to Charlottesville that weekend, so hopefully my experience mirrors yours. (Boo to CivPro at 8:30 though. :| )

And so far my 0L prep has consisted of binge-watching Veep. Because, um, something something law degree politics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 am

rhododactylos wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:

1. It keeps people from doing 0L summer prep--not the possibly-helpful stuff like reading Getting to Maybe (which I didn't read but which some people said really helped them), but the always-unhelpful stuff like buying your casebook and reading/briefing cases over the summer. If you don't know your professors, the temptation to buy the casebooks won't be there and you can spend these last couple months doing things that will actually help you get ready for 1L (relaxing, traveling, earning some money, spending time with friends and family, slowly building your alcohol tolerance, etc.)

This is an attitude I can get on board with.

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:10 am

Anyone else get a letter to "Parents of"? Kinda weird for graduate students, right? Come to think of it, why do they even think my parents have the same address? Odd.

jj2014

New

Post by jj2014 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm

If we don't get our class schedules until orientation are we basically forced to buy the books at the bookstore, or is there usually enough time to order from Amazon before we need them?

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:02 pm

What orientation activity is everyone picking? It's hard to select 1, 2, and 3.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”