www.top-law-schools.com Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
xylocarp

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2018

Post by xylocarp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Main grounds are really pretty to walk around, too. I liked looking at the special collections library.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:21 pm

The King wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Anyone committed to UVA yet other than me? What factors are going to make the decision one way or the other?
I'm sold. And I Look forward to seeing you there, but not knowing that it is you
:lol: Definitely. We should have an all-TLSers-invited game/wine night once everybody's in Cville in August.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Is anyone interested in a 3 bedroom townhouse walking distance from the law school? My husband and I would like to break our lease a month early and we can only do so if there is a tenant that wants to move in in July.

It's a large 3 bedroom without a basement. It's in a quiet area. The neighbors are a mix of very friendly retirees and law students. It's a thirty second drive from Bellair Market which has the best sandwiches in Charlottesville/the world.

We are paying a little under $1300 per month, but you'd have to ask the landlady what she's going to charge next year.

Here is an approximate floor plan.
http://www.huntington-village.com/townhomes_2S_3B.htm

Let me know if you are interested and I can send the landlady's information or answer any questions you have! Also let me know if you are going to be in Charlottesville and want to see the place.

ETA: If you have questions about other housing at UVA I may be able to answer some general questions. I skimmed the last page and saw mentions of Pavilion and Ivy. People usually only stay in those places for a year from what I've seen. Pavilion looks nice but is actually pretty shoddily constructed and has super thin walls (I've heard it referred to as a 'gilded turd'). Ivy is also known at the 1L ghetto because tons of 1Ls live there and then move out after a year. I do know one person that stuck with Ivy all three years though. You may also want to check out the Jeffersonian. A friend has a place there that looks really nice.

jj2014

New

Post by jj2014 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 pm

xylocarp wrote:Anyone committed to UVA yet other than me? What factors are going to make the decision one way or the other?
I'm about 95% certain I'll be there this fall. I have one more ASW to attend, but it'd be pretty tough to convince me not to go to UVA at this point.

boomlawyered

New

Post by boomlawyered » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm

Unsuccessful scholarship negotiation recently. PM for details.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 am

I'm visiting UVA now, and it really is a nice area. Having not spent much time in the "south," visiting the main campus and seeing the architecture was really nice. The downtown mall was also nice, although a lot of the restaurants were closed.

Something that stuck with me was when the tour guide said, "in interviews you often get asked did you enjoy law school. If the person says yes, the joke is they are either lieing or went to UVA."

On the other hand, while the law school building was nice, the business school building next door was GORGOUS and has free coffee in the lobby. I suggest checking it out.

The Jeffersonian seems to be full at this point. I went and spoke with them.

Edit: fixed autocorrect issue
Last edited by smile0751 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 am

smile0751 wrote:On the other hand, while the law school building was nice, the business school building next store was GORGOUS and has free coffee in the lobby.
Yeah, being jealous of the Darden building doesn't go away.

catahoula

New

Post by catahoula » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 am

Not officially committed, but pretty much sure at this point. I really enjoyed the ASW and just felt like I clicked with the place. I only had one other open house to compare it to (Duke) and I definitely didn't get the same sense of fun and community there that I did at UVA. I'm a big believer in personal "fit" - plus, objectively/financially speaking, I think it would be hard to beat UVA's offer.

I am a little worried about finding affordable housing though...am I the only one who thinks rent in Charlottesville is outrageously high? LOL! (I am from the real South...) Also my fault for having a dog though.

mindthegap

Bronze

Post by mindthegap » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:02 pm

catahoula wrote:
Not officially committed, but pretty much sure at this point. I really enjoyed the ASW and just felt like I clicked with the place. I only had one other open house to compare it to (Duke) and I definitely didn't get the same sense of fun and community there that I did at UVA. I'm a big believer in personal "fit" - plus, objectively/financially speaking, I think it would be hard to beat UVA's offer.

I am a little worried about finding affordable housing though...am I the only one who thinks rent in Charlottesville is outrageously high? LOL! (I am from the real South...) Also my fault for having a dog though.
It's funny you mention the cost of housing - my fiance and I would be coming from London and we both fell over ourselves at how gloriously cheap Charlottesville is in comparison! We were seriously on the verge of cartwheels so I guess it's all about perspective. :)

I'm 99.9% sure that I will be at UVA in the fall. Although I'm still waiting on a few long shots, I honestly think Virginia is a better fit for me than any of the schools I've heard from (I'm also a believer in fit). Despite all of the reports that negotiating has been futile, I sent an email earlier today asking them to reconsider my merit award. The worst they can say is no, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rkspurs21

Bronze

Post by rkspurs21 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:34 pm

requested a scholarship bump, shot down. "exhausted funds". NU gave me a sweet offer that I thought would at least get me something, but no dice. Looks like I'm headed to Chicago.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Is there an earlier cut off date for accepting Dillards? I haven't kept track of all the correspondence, and don't want to accidentally miss the deadline!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:42 pm

alloverthat wrote:Is there an earlier cut off date for accepting Dillards? I haven't kept track of all the correspondence, and don't want to accidentally miss the deadline!
I'm pretty sure there's not

MC819

New

Post by MC819 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm

alloverthat wrote:Is there an earlier cut off date for accepting Dillards? I haven't kept track of all the correspondence, and don't want to accidentally miss the deadline!
They definitely didn't bring this up at the Dillard session during ASW, so I think we've all got until April 21 for the first seat deposit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms1spiderman

New

Post by ms1spiderman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Hey, rising 2L looking for a new roommate. My current one is graduating this year and I'm looking for someone interested in taking over his share of the lease. I live in the Jeffersonian, very short walk from campus. Here's a link to my Facebook if you want to hit me up: https://www.facebook.com/truman.chris

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:40 pm

rkspurs21 wrote:requested a scholarship bump, shot down. "exhausted funds". NU gave me a sweet offer that I thought would at least get me something, but no dice. Looks like I'm headed to Chicago.
Thanks for the update. Super bummed that they're still "out of funds".

The thinker

Bronze

Post by The thinker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 pm

Will probably be depositing at UVA tomorrow/next few days. Its comforting to see some familiar faces from other threads on here. If anyone is in the Central VA area let me know via PM, would love to meet some of y'all before classes start!

p.s. if anyone is looking for a roommate PM me

Hootimestwo

New

Post by Hootimestwo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I don't actually have anything of substance to share but reading the thread this morning got me super excited again for this fall- I really can't wait to meet y'all in person/see you again if I met you at ASW and had no idea!

In the interest of being helpful, I will add another restaurant recommendation for everyone, this one even better than the awesome Chipotle (and also very close to the law school): Peter Chang China Grill

This place is real deal, authentically delicious Chinese food. Bonus! The chef/owner is kind of a mad genius: Where Peter Chang Cooks, They Will Follow and How chef Peter Chang stopped running and started empire-building.

Finally, my wife and I are moving to Cville in June and would love to hang out with anyone who will be around over the summer- feel free to PM me if you'll be there! Summer in Charlottesville is awesome and there is a lot to do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 am

North wrote:
smile0751 wrote:On the other hand, while the law school building was nice, the business school building next store was GORGOUS and has free coffee in the lobby.
Yeah, being jealous of the Darden building doesn't go away.
We get that free coffee in the law lib though

emwaja

New

Post by emwaja » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Last edited by emwaja on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm curious to hear about others' experiences when they visited. When I visited, eight of the nine students who were giving tours/leading panels that day were white men. Sure, it could have been an off day, but still -- it made me feel weird. It seems like UVA would be a little more concerned with diversity, especially in light of last year's gender imbalance.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Unfortunately, I think the stats kind of speak for themselves on that one. 36% women and only 19% minorities in last year's class is pretty bad, and it's definitely one of the biggest downsides for me. That said, I think the new admissions team is at least trying to correct those imbalances, and I'm hoping they succeed.

As for my personal experience visiting, I didn't take a tour, so I just talked to random students I encountered throughout the building. Many were women and/or minorities, and honestly all of them seemed pretty enthusiastic about the school and their experiences there. Just anecdotal though of course.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:03 am

how did they get only 36% women lol

curlietop86

Bronze

Post by curlietop86 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 am

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kip

New

Post by Kip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 am

Anyone try negotiating lately?

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:26 am

Kip wrote:Anyone try negotiating lately?
I think right after the first deposit deadline might be the best/only time to try. Just my opinion ofc and I'm a rando, so grain of salt, etc.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”