Project Management: Economic Development in St. Louis (MO) [State Government]
Download this Episode
Subscribe on iTunes | RSS Feed
Or get updates @LSTUpdates or in our monthly newsletter
This episode is presented by The United States Air Force Judge Advocate General's Corp.
Time is money. Few know that better than project managers -- a generic job title that could reflect anything from where to place a cellphone tower to how to stimulate economic development in parts of a city most hurt by unemployment.
In this episode, we hear from a project manager who specializes in the latter, although she did the former before attending law school at St. Louis University. Laura Hughes graduated in 2014 and went to work immediately for a public-private partnership, the Gateway EB-5 Investment Center. EB-5 is a United States visa program that entitles foreigners to obtain a permanent visa in exchange for an investment in certain economic development projects.
Operating out of the World Trade Center in St. Louis, she plays matchmaker for foreign investors and local real estate developers. Laura helps developers cast their projects in such a way that they not only qualify for the EB-5 program, but actually attract investors. From due diligence to navigating regulations, she uses her pre-law and legal experience to help St. Louis prosper.
This episode is hosted by Kimber Russell, an account executive at Planet Depos, an international court reporting firm. It is sponsored by Barbri Law Preview and Top-Law-Schools.com.
- Boyce Law Firm -- Meghann Joyce
- NC State Bar: An Insurance Defense Attorney's Dual Client Problem
- ABA Section of Litgation: Pretrial Practice & Discovery
- Wikipedia: Claims Adjuster
- Episode 0: Introduction to I Am The Law, a Series of Interviews
- Episode 1: Family Law (MA): Mediation, Conciliation, Litigation, and Guardian Ad Litem for Child Custody, Divorces, etc. [Small Firm]
- Episode 2: Personal Injury (TN): Settlement Negotiation for Vehicle Collision Plaintiffs While Confronting Sexism [Solo Practice]
- Episode 3: Patent Law (CA): Litigating and Prosecuting Patents at a [Large Firm]
- Episode 4: Public Defender (GA): Representing Alleged Criminals Who Can't Afford a Lawyer [Government]
- Episode 5: Real Estate Law (NC): Residential Home Transactions [Solo Practice]
- Episode 6: Administrative Appeals (CA): Obtaining Writs of Mandamus to Assist Aggrieved Government Employees [Solo Practice]
- Episode 7: Immigration Law (TX): Navigating the Administrative Maze for Immigrant Clients and Their Families [Small Firm]
- Episode 8: Running a Transactional Legal Services NGO for 501(c)(3)'s
- Episode 9: e-Discovery (OH): Reviewing Electronic Documents for Litigation Support at a [Large Firm]
- Episode 10: Personal Injury (LA): Representing Medical Malpractice Plaintiffs [Solo Practice]
- Episode 11: State [Government] Counsel (TN): Health Policy and Medical Professional Prosecutions
- Episode 12: Maritime Injury (WA): Making Sea Workers Whole [Small Firm]
- Episode 13: Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm]
- Episode 14: Criminal Defense (VT): Pleas, Fees, and Justice [Small Firm]
- Episode 15: Corporate Healthcare at a Chicago [Large Firm] (IL)
- Episode 16: Assistant U.S. Attorney (OH): Prosecuting [Federal] Drug Laws
- Episode 17: Insurance Defense Litigation (SD): Pre-Trial Practice at a Mid-Size [Law Firm]