Corporate Healthcare at a Chicago [Large Firm] (IL)
Download this Episode
Subscribe on iTunes | RSS Feed
Or get updates @LSTUpdates or in our monthly newsletter
This episode is presented by The United States Air Force Judge Advocate General's Corp.
At a large law firm, the hours, pay, exit opportunities, and desire to leave are among the tradeoffs associates continuously negotiate -- if you can get the job in the first place. In this episode, Holly Carnell, a 2009 graduate of Loyola University Chicago School of Law, describes her challenge of getting a biglaw job from a non-elite law school.
Holly discusses her corporate healthcare practice in the Chicago office of McGuireWoods. Like associates at many large firms, she's seen her responsibilities evolve in her six years in practice. Holly tells how she learned on the job, but also how she developed one of her most important skills before ever going to law school. Her sales background helps her meet the firm's expectations that she build her brand and a book of business.
As a corporate healthcare attorney, she has a broad practice in the healthcare space. She spends a lot of time helping healthcare providers draft contracts, properly engage employees, and remain in compliance with the many applicable laws. Additionally, she does contracts and due diligence for private equity firms buying and selling healthcare companies. While the job may have been difficult to get, she's finding that excelling in the job has more to do with doing quality work, managing junior associates, and exercising good judgment than where she went to school.
This episode is hosted by Derek Tokaz, an academic writing teacher at American University. It is sponsored by Barbri Law Preview and Top-Law-Schools.com.
- Holly Carnell's McGuireWoods Bio
- Wikipedia: HIPAA Summary
- The Middle Market, Mergers & Acquisitions: 5 Technologies That Drove Healthcare M&A in 2014
- NALP Directory: McGuirewoods LLP
- Episode 0: Introduction to I Am The Law, a Series of Interviews
- Episode 1: Family Law (MA): Mediation, Conciliation, Litigation, and Guardian Ad Litem for Child Custody, Divorces, etc. [Small Firm]
- Episode 2: Personal Injury (TN): Settlement Negotiation for Vehicle Collision Plaintiffs While Confronting Sexism [Solo Practice]
- Episode 3: Patent Law (CA): Litigating and Prosecuting Patents at a [Large Firm]
- Episode 4: Public Defender (GA): Representing Alleged Criminals Who Can't Afford a Lawyer [Government]
- Episode 5: Real Estate Law (NC): Residential Home Transactions [Solo Practice]
- Episode 6: Administrative Appeals (CA): Obtaining Writs of Mandamus to Assist Aggrieved Government Employees [Solo Practice]
- Episode 7: Immigration Law (TX): Navigating the Administrative Maze for Immigrant Clients and Their Families [Small Firm]
- Episode 8: Running a Transactional Legal Services NGO for 501(c)(3)'s
- Episode 9: e-Discovery (OH): Reviewing Electronic Documents for Litigation Support at a [Large Firm]
- Episode 10: Personal Injury (LA): Representing Medical Malpractice Plaintiffs [Solo Practice]
- Episode 11: State [Government] Counsel (TN): Health Policy and Medical Professional Prosecutions
- Episode 12: Maritime Injury (WA): Making Sea Workers Whole [Small Firm]
- Episode 13: Suing Debt Collectors (MN): Consumer Protection Federal Litigation [Small Firm]
- Episode 14: Criminal Defense (VT): Pleas, Fees, and Justice [Small Firm]