Admit Advantage answers your questions Forum

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.
Christina AA

New

Admit Advantage answers your questions

Post by Christina AA » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 am

Greetings! I am the new Director for Law Admissions at Admit Advantage, an admissions consulting company for law, MBA, med and undergraduate applicants. I am a Stanford B.A./Columbia J.D. with ten years of private practice in NYC and Europe and fifteen years of experience volunteering in education and admissions. We have a fantastic team of seasoned consultants who have attended top law schools (Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Berkeley, Columbia, etc.).

I’m going to keep *office hours* from 10:00-11:00 EST on weekday mornings. I’ll log on other times as well to respond to queries as I am able. I’m here to answer all your questions about law school admissions as well as private practice. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

sunbai1029

New

Re: Admit Advantage answers your questions

Post by sunbai1029 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey Christina! Is that you in the Photo? Haha. Anyway, I am looking at applying to law school this fall and I was wondering if you think that top schools are going to change their C&F questionnaires to be more inclusive this year. Or at least they're becoming more forgiving? What do you think Christina?

Christina AA

New

Post by Christina AA » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi,
As you likely know, C&F (character and fitness) questionnaires are required by law schools because when a student graduates and wishes to gain admission to the bar, she or he must meet the character and fitness requirements of the state bar(s). I can't see any reason, nor have I heard of any inclination by law schools in the current admissions environment, for law schools to relax such requirements. These schools have no interest in graduating students who then are unable to meet the stringent requirements of the bar. Best of luck in your applications! The only advice I can offer is to be completely candid in your questionnaire. Disclosing required details that are in reality unimportant will not prevent you from being admitted, but failing to disclose material issues will imperil your future career.

Christina,
Admit Advantage, Director of Law Admissions

Christina AA

New

Post by Christina AA » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 pm

The previous question was very specific to a niche topic. I'm happy to respond to any and all questions regarding applications and admissions.

mysojuli

New

Post by mysojuli » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:22 am

Hello,

Thanks for being so willing to answer questions! I will be applying to law school soon so I'm excited to get started on the application process!

I graduated from high school at the age of 16, I decided to graduate one year early. Which means I'll be 19 when I take the LSAT and 20 when I go to law school. Do you think law schools would prefer someone older? I'm not sure if I should write an addendum or include it in my personal statement. I heard many people advice not to write about a high school experience for a personal statement. I'm a URM with a 3.8 GPA and I'm hoping to go to a T5 school...so I'm just concerned if they'll even consider me since I'll be younger...

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Christina AA

New

Post by Christina AA » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your question. My response will be influenced by your answer to a few questions. Where are you attending school? What is your major? Why do you want to attend law school?

I would not typically advise you to write about a high school experience for your personal statement. Rather, you should be pulling from your adult experience and growth.

Law schools accept all kinds of applicants, both those coming straight from undergrad and those who have been in the workforce. The salient question is whether you can articulate well your reasons for attending law school and your readiness for it.
Christina

Christina AA

New

Post by Christina AA » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Posting an excellent interview we conducted with BYU-Law (J. Reuben Clark School of Law) Assistant Dean of Admissions: Michelle Mumford
August 2014

AA: Dean Mumford, thank you so much for your time in giving this interview. As a former BYU law student and now as Dean of Admissions, what has changed since you attended law school?

MM: Well, the market outlook has changed, but not much else. Many seem to think that means jobs aren't available, but that's not what I've seen. I think it means law firms are more cautious and selective with whom they hire.

I graduated in what seemed to be the most recent heyday of big firm excess - large summer classes, three-course lunches and events most every night. I don't remember going to the grocery store during my summer clerkship experience at a large law firm in New York City. And while students can bemoan the fact that those things aren't around anymore, they weren't what defined the summer experience for me. What I remember most are the relationships I made with partners through the cases I worked on, and continued helping with after I left; the pro bono opportunities I took advantage of despite the added workload; and the immersion into the firm culture and the legal world.

The actual practice of law hasn't changed much. It still requires new ideas and critical thinking and careful writing. And I love it.

AA: What sets BYU law school apart from other law schools?
MM: BYU Law School is definitely unique for a variety of reasons. We are consistently ranked a top value law school - one of the few private schools to have that distinction. Those rankings take into account tuition, student debt, AND employment numbers. In short, we can get a student exactly where she wants to be - whether it's a big firm in New York City or Los Angeles, or a small not-for-profit organization concentrating on projects in Africa - without much debt. The lack of debt works to broaden opportunities and choices for our students. Is your dream job in a local prosecutor's office but you need to work in a firm for 10 years first to pay off your debt? Students at BYU go right into their dream jobs - because the debt doesn't limit their choices.

But while value is important, the quality of education students receive at BYU Law is what really stands out. We have top faculty from across the country --six are either current or former Supreme Court clerks. Most notably, our faculty is eager and willing to form relationships with students. Our students enjoy working closely on legal research and publications with faculty members. These personal connections last throughout careers. We have a Center for Law and Religion Studies that brings in legal scholars from all over the world, as well as provides our students with opportunities to travel internationally for externships during the summer. One-third of our students take advantage of these international opportunities.

AA: In which state or geographic region do most BYU law graduates end up practicing?
MM: About half of BYU Law students practice in Utah, mostly because their families are here and they want to stay. Our next highest placement states rotate between California, Washington D.C., and Texas.

AA: What surprised you most when you took on the role of Assistant Dean of Admissions?
MM: What surprised me the most in my role as Dean of Admissions at BYU Law School was simply the new world of higher-education admissions. The rankings system focuses schools' priorities on objective numbers rather than subjective life experience/skills. It's difficult to see a stellar applicant with a lower-than-average LSAT score limit his opportunities because he doesn't want to take the LSAT again to increase his score. The LSAT is a game: the more you play it, the better you perform. Students who understand this win the game in the end.

AA: What personal and academic qualities are you looking for in applicants?
MM: At BYU Law we're looking for students who are willing to work hard. Academic accomplishments can most often show how hard a student is willing to work. But not always. We're also looking for students who serve in the community and are leaders in some area of their life.

AA: What, in your experience, is the biggest surprise students encounter in law school?
MM: The biggest surprise students encounter in law school is that it's a lot of hard work, and life still goes on. There are still going to be life challenges and family trials and the like, but law school keeps going. Students need to figure out how to meet the challenges of life and stay on top of law school obligations, because that's what will happen during bar study, or a big case at the firm, or the night before a deadline. Another surprise is that the busy extends beyond the first year. I remember being even more busy my second year because of involvement in co-curriculars and extra-curriculars, and then employment during my third year. The added experiences were worth it, though.

AA: Tell us more about your much-vaunted externship program.
MM: I mentioned a little about the international externship program earlier, but yes, BYU Law is known for its externship program because of the success students have found through it. Students often ask what is an externship? Simply, it's an internship for school credit as opposed to a paycheck. We have dedicated faculty members who oversee students on externships, we have loan funds available where federal funding isn't available, we don't charge students regular tuition to obtain their credits, but just a minimal administrative charge, and our Career Services office works diligently to set up opportunities. Students have three ways to find an externship - a typical resume drop scenario, a match program that matches students with employers regardless of GPA, and a find-it-yourself externship. I always prefer the last type - I call it the hustle. For students who know what they're interested in, it only makes sense for them to go out, find some alumni contacts, build relationships, and create opportunities to be involved. In the end, an externship is not about easy credit, graduating early, or filling time -- it's about employment. The clerkship program helps to keep our employment numbers high because so many relationships are starting early.

AA: Do employers come for on-campus interviews to BYU? How does BYU work to place students outside the Utah job market?
MM: Many employers do come on campus for interviews. We also have dedicated one-week breaks during each semester for students to travel for interviews. The Career Service office helps to set up these regional interview trips. We use existing relationships we have with employers and courts nation-wide to place our students. We've found that once an employer hires a BYU student and experiences first-hand the quality of education as well as the work ethic BYU students have, the employer is highly likely to hire from BYU Law in the future. We also use our extensive alumni network to help place students, as well as the J. Reuben Clark Law Society, which is an organization of lawyers throughout the country who meet on a regular basis to network and enjoy fellowship. These society members may not be alumni but are often members of the LDS Church, and they are eager and willing to help place BYU Law students.

AA: Can you give us some do’s and don’ts for writing personal statements?
MM: Do write an interesting and compelling story that will capture the reader's attention without trying to shock them just to be memorable. Do edit your personal statement at least three times. Do use proper grammar. Do write about what will make you a valuable member of the incoming class. Don't repeat your resume. Don't tell us how great BYU Law is. Don't be arrogant or narcissistic.

AA: Do you have any other advice for students applying to BYU Law School?
MM: if you're LDS (Mormon), your mission is not a unique experience. Don't write your personal statement only about your mission and how it helped you really see a disadvantaged population - you should have been able to see them before. Don't submit letters of recommendation from stake presidents or bishops - submit letters from professors. While we are a church-sponsored school, we're not looking for the most righteous people. Be yourself.

Pure Protein

New

Post by Pure Protein » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Last edited by Pure Protein on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christina AA

New

Post by Christina AA » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks for writing,
Without knowing more about your GPA, scores and professional background, it is hard for me to assess exactly where your application needs improvement. Do know, however, that if you improve your LSAT significantly, that will help you move from a waitlisted candidate to one accepted. Perhaps you aren't explaining your goals and achievements in a coherent way. That is often the difference at the top. We do free consultations, which you can book here: http://www.flexbooker.com/admitadvantage
I'd be very happy to speak with you.
Christina

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pure Protein

New

Post by Pure Protein » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Last edited by Pure Protein on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christina AA

New

Post by Christina AA » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:39 am

Good luck!
Here's an article I published recently that deals with how to handle negative issues on your application:
Dealing with Negatives on Your Law School Application
Christina Taber-Kewene
Director, Law Admissions
Admit Advantage
August 2014

You’ve taken the LSAT, registered with LSAC, talked with your professors about letters of recommendation, and now you are ready to apply to your dream law school. But wait -- your LSAT score isn’t as stellar as you had hoped it would be? Your grades are low? You have been out of school for a year and haven’t done anything useful with your time? You have a disciplinary or criminal record (and you aren’t sure whether it is public)? Rare is the student who has a “perfect” application. Let’s talk about how to deal with real-life negatives on your real-life law school application.

Low LSAT Score
What can you do if your LSAT score is lower than the median for the schools to which you plan to apply? The answer depends on your timing, but the simple response is: raise your score! If it is October, and you’ve just received your September LSAT score, then take the time to study and re-take the exam in December. Although you can receive a boost from applying early, it is not nearly as helpful as the increased chance of admission you will enjoy with a significant jump in your LSAT score. If you did not invest in a test preparation course the first time, spend the time and money now to take a course, study more, hire a tutor, or whatever else you need to do to improve your score.
If it is later in the admissions season and you still don’t have a high enough score to make it into the schools of your choice, you may wish to delay applying an admissions cycle until you have put in the time to improve your score. Remember that not only admissions decisions but also scholarship money are in play when you are dealing with your LSAT scores. The LSAT is a learnable test, and with enough time, you can improve your performance.

Low GPA
As with a low LSAT score, a GPA below the median for your target school can stand in the way of your admission. If you are a college senior and need a higher GPA to have a good chance of being admitted to your top choice law school, strongly consider delaying your application one admissions cycle. Two semesters of higher grades can significantly raise your overall GPA and make the difference in gaining acceptance and receiving needed scholarship money.
If you are already out of school, consider where your weaknesses lie. If, for example, you have a quantitative background, highlight your written and verbal skills by emphasizing relevant extracurricular activities (debate club, anyone?). If your overall GPA is lower than the median but you performed well in your major, ensure that your recommender can point out your proficiencies and rave about your passion and intellect.

Character and Fitness
Some applications only ask about whether you have been criminally indicted or charged; others request information regarding any arrest, minor infraction or even school disciplinary history. Make sure you understand exactly what you are being asked. Do not assume that if an infraction was far in the past or “sealed” that you do not need to disclose it. You can and should obtain all records from the incident, as you will eventually need them for admission to the bar. If you are unsure, seek advice from an outside source. In fact, you may wish to call the state bar where you wish to practice in order to ensure that your background will not interfere with admission to the bar. And when in doubt: disclose. Many state bars will request a copy of your law school application. If there is a discrepancy between what you disclose there and what you disclose in your bar application, that can present a real problem for bar admission.

Letters of Recommendation
Two typical problems arise in obtaining letters of recommendation. The first is when a current student feels she does not have a strong relationship with a professor. The second is when an applicant has been out of school for an extended period of time and is unsure of how to approach former professors.
In the first instance, remember that professors expect such requests. Even if you have not written a senior thesis, worked as a teaching assistant or otherwise formed a close relationship with a professor, you can ask a professor for a recommendation. Consider in which classes you have been outspoken and performed well. You will be wise to set up a face-to-face meeting with your professor, provide her with your personal statement and resume, and explain to her why you are applying to law school. Help her understand your motivations so she can write you a strong letter. Finally, give your professor an opportunity to say “no.” Ask if she can give you a strong recommendation. If she declines, politely thank her and find another recommender.
In the second instance, applicants often ask whether they should just use professional contacts for their recommendations. Each school has its own guidelines, but you should aim to have one academic recommendation and one professional recommendation if possible. If you don’t or can’t obtain an academic recommendation, this will raise a red flag for an admissions committee.
And if you are a sophomore or junior considering law school, remember to build those relationships now. Writing a senior thesis or engaging in independent study with a professor is an excellent way to develop the kind of relationship that will help you to obtain that glowing recommendation.

Lack of extracurricular activities or a gap in work experience
Law schools are interested in seeing your development as a full human being, not only as an academic. Long-term involvement in extracurricular activities, especially those in which you have held a leadership role, is preferable to peripatetic club joining, so think quality, not quantity. If you are earlier in your academic career, get invested in activities, stay with them and grow with them. If you are a senior or already have graduated, you can add activities now, but beware that schools are less likely to take those as indicators of character than if you had been involved for a longer period of time.
If you have been out of school for a year or two or ten, you need to show that you have direction in your professional life. The biggest problem is if you have not done anything. Schools know that the job market has been tight, but you can include unpaid internships and volunteer work to show how you have developed and made the most of your situation.

Writing an Addendum
An addendum serves to address weaknesses in an application that you have not sufficiently addressed elsewhere. It should not read as an excuse or a complaint. Rather, it should be an explanation. For example, if your second semester sophomore year grades are low because you were caring for a terminally ill parent, you could provide a brief explanation. If your grades fell because you were pledging a fraternity, that would be seen as an excuse and not a good way to handle the dip in your GPA. If you choose to write an addendum, ensure that it is direct, succinct (while still providing sufficient details as explanation) and is not a complaint or excuse.
Some applicants wonder if they should address a discrepancy in LSAT scores in an addendum. If you scored a 150 the first time and a 165 the second time, congratulations! And don’t think any more about it. The school is likely ignoring your first score. Drawing attention to the score will do you no good, nor does it matter.

Conclusion
Have confidence in yourself and your experience. No application is perfect, but you can take steps to mitigate negatives and emphasize positives. Do your best, and good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”