Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:46 am

NYstate wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Also, keep this data marked for next year because T3 are still admitting off of the WL, I know for a fact. there is so much you can do that has nothing to do with numbers to be admitted at this stage of the WL.

Like be an American citizen who qualifies for federal student loans?

When you ( Spivey) says T3, do you mean HYS? Or TTT?

I mean HYS. Also I meant keep this "date" marked. i was off my game.

Hey Jenesaislaw, I've heard some good things about you of late :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 am

More data, by region. This would be easier to read if I could get wordpress to let me use grids.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/more-final-data-from-201213-cycle-by-region/

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:45 am

MikeSpivey wrote:More data, by region. This would be easier to read if I could get wordpress to let me use grids.

Like these? (Plugin)
http://wordpress.org/plugins/tablepress/

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 pm

BalanceCare wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:More data, by region. This would be easier to read if I could get wordpress to let me use grids.

Like these? (Plugin)
http://wordpress.org/plugins/tablepress/

gratzi for this!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:09 pm

ok here is a real life personal statement from a few years ago and the applicant got admitted with $$$ t top 10 schools. He was a splitter. He gave me permission to post this. Who wants to talk about where/why it is good (overall and in specifcs) and where it is problematic? This should be quite interesting. Sorry I can not format like it should be.

On belay? Too most, a simple question that has no bearing or meaning in their day-to-day
lives. However, for me, a passionate, competitive rock climber, this question can be one of
life or death. To belay an individual is to be their lifeline, their control, and most importantly
their safety. I have been climbing for many years, belaying countless individuals, and it is
reflection on these experiences that allows me to understand what it takes to be a great belayer.
Clearly, an unparalleled level of trust is necessary for the climber to truly perform at the peak of
their ability. As their belayer, you must be that trusted person, so much so that the climber
would not think twice about jumping from the wall to reach a hold and potentially falling. This
responsibility is one I do not take lightly, however, to truly be a great belayer, you must be more
than just able to catch someone if they slip.

The best belayers are those who transcend the ability to catch falls and connect with the
climber, as an extension of the climber’s abilities. In order for this connection to develop, a
belayer must be socially capable of interacting with their climber in a manner that will invoke an
unequaled sense of trust and comfort. If this connection cannot be made, the climber will begin
to doubt their belayer’s abilities, and their belayer’s commitment. These mental insecurities
cloud the climber’s focus and prevent them from committing completely to a route.
To act as an extension of the climber’s abilities, a belayer must focus entirely on their
climber and the route being climbed. The belayer acts as a second set of eyes for the climber,
indicating when the climber has ventured off route, or simply if the climber has missed a hold. A
belayer must mentally climb the route, as the climber physically climbs it, pondering every
dimension of the climber’s movement in their mind and looking ahead to warn of potential
difficulty. The ability to act as an extension of the climber is essential to a great belayer not only
because it will allow for the focus of two minds on the route instead of one, but the climber will
know that someone is on their journey with them, helping guide them, and assuring that each
movement they make allows for the next to be done with the greatest possible ease.
Finally, a great belayer must be a cheerleader for their climber. A mentor once told me
that a quiet belayer is a non-existent belayer. A great belayer must be yelling at the top of their
lungs, encouraging the climber to move forward through what may be the most difficult route
they have ever faced. Without this encouragement, the climber has no external push, no extra bit
of motivation, which is so crucial to completing the most challenging routes.

In my journey to become a great belayer, I have discovered that the qualities that define
the best belayers - focus, passion, cheerleading and trust, are essential in order to be “on belay”
for myself and others as a successful law student and lawyer. Without focus, the demanding
classroom work would leave me behind; however, I can apply my focus and become a proficient
and astute law student. Without passion, the challenges of both law school and legal practice
would leave me exhausted instead of inspired. My deep passion for the law and legal justice will
allow me to persevere, transforming challenges and pressure into motivation. Without
cheerleading, my concern for my fellow classmates and clients would not be as prevalent as is
essential for a leader in law. As a law student or lawyer, I can motivate and encourage those
around me at all times, contributing to their success as much as my own. Finally, without the
ability to connect with others, invoking a sense of trust in my abilities, my success as a classmate
and as a lawyer would be jeopardized. I am confident that I will be able to connect and invoke this
trust in my classmates and clients, just as I do each time I belay a climber.

Through extensive practice, diligence, and desire, I have become a great belayer. It is
with the knowledge and abilities I have gained from this journey that my journey as a law
student and lawyer will be both successful and meaningful to the lives of others.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:58 pm

A fantastic PS. I am an avid rock climber and completely understand and agree with the author's comparison --the author does a great job explaining a relatively complex activity. In regard to grammar and puncuation, the author did a stellar job--one semicolon, not too many commas, and sentence fragments are used sparingly. The flow of the PS is close to New Yorker type writing (which is good). However, I feel that the author could've gotten away with using a few, more complex words. In reference to the law school part, the author could of been more swaying. Perhaps the author wants to become a lawyer because he knows someone who had a bad accident, sued, and lost the case. Maybe the author wants to become an environmental lawyer and lobby to protect the environment he or she has benefited from. I get that short is good but either way, another "why lawyer" reason could not of hurt. Am I wrong?
Last edited by ZVBXRPL on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Sure I will take a crack at it. Seems to be easier to critique these things than write them (see my infamous bitcoin PS)

The Good: It is a unique topic and I enjoyed the discussion of rock climbing. It caught my attention and kept me reading.

The Bad: If this person is a splitter I think they might have been better off with a topic that suggests an aptitude for academic pursuits. Unfortunately, I didn't really get a sense of the extent of this persons involvement in rock climbing. I went rock climbing a few times when I was a teenager and could have honestly written the same PS. I find the tie into being a lawyer tenuous and I think the author would be better off describing a specific instance in which they exhibited focus, passion, cheerleading, and trust rather than just telling us that they possess these qualities.

The ugly: There seem to be grammatical and usage mistakes throughout. Most notably in the second sentence which turned me off a little bit and made me doubt their writing ability.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Anyone else before I ruin the fun?

I mean, you folks create spreadsheets that I am going to bring with me when I am on Shark Tank in a few months, but you don't care about the all important PS?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Oh yea, one more thing. As of this Friday COB Karen Buttenbaum will be officially joining Spivey Consulting. So, given her experience at Harvard and traveling with the top tier schools, if you are gunning for one of those now is the time to jump on board and let us know.

I actually think that might be the first time I have really plugged my business in this thread, but just wanted to make sure everyone is aware, especially because we (or more aptly stated I), are near capacity.

Thanks,

Mike

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:57 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:when I am on Shark Tank in a few months

Never mind, I detect the sarcasm now.

I must admit the prospect was intriguing. ;)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

bouleversement wrote:

Trust trust trust me, I am trying. I am addicted to that show.

The problem is I have zero overhead so I don't really need a capital injection. So my pitch to them is 1% of my company for $0 and so far I think the producers do not believe me.

If they every want us, I am going to utilize this board heavily and then likely bring people on the show with me I kid not.

-Mike

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:25 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
bouleversement wrote:

The problem is I have zero overhead so I don't really need a capital injection. So my pitch to them is 1% of my company for $0 and so far I think the producers do not believe me.

If they every want us, I am going to utilize this board heavily and then likely bring people on the show with me I kid not.

-Mike

I'm ready for my close up!

whatshouldido3

Postby whatshouldido3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am

Any idea why a school would offer an unsolicited fee waiver last cycle, but fail to extend the offer for this cycle after I contacted them?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
bouleversement wrote:

-Mike

:wink:

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 am

Hey Mike, do you know of anyone that got into HYS(with good numbers) that had a DUI within 4 years of their app?

No, I don't have one, but my C&F is minor but greater in quantity so I figured if someone got in with a DUI then my issues would not be a problem. Thanks

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm

whatshouldido3 wrote:Any idea why a school would offer an unsolicited fee waiver last cycle, but fail to extend the offer for this cycle after I contacted them?

I can think of two.

1. They have a new admissions dean who has a different policy. If you tell me the school I can likely tell you if this is true or not.

2. They are in a severe budget crunch like some law school are.

That's about all I got.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:05 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Hey Mike, do you know of anyone that got into HYS(with good numbers) that had a DUI within 4 years of their app?

No, I don't have one, but my C&F is minor but greater in quantity so I figured if someone got in with a DUI then my issues would not be a problem. Thanks

I certainly don't know this level of detail or confidentiality but I would say it seems likely, yes. When I did the law school admission side of things we could see schools above us taking common applicants with multiple duis who had really strong scores.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 pm

bee wrote:Re: the PS posted above--I thought the topic was quite interesting and I liked that he was reaching for an extended metaphor. It was genuinely fun to read, which is a plus, and there's a sense of flow. However, I spotted more than one serious grammar mistake (that "too" in the beginning...) and by the last few sentences, the PS had fallen a little flat. The connection between his experiences rock climbing and his desire to be a lawyer was tenuous at best and felt a bit disingenuous and forced.

Am I the only one who kind of wished he'd just kept going with the rock climbing and left out the whole Why I'll Be a Good Lawyer bit?

I'm totally with you about leaving out the part about law at the end. I felt like the entire time he was successfully using the metaphor of belaying with being a lawyer. It even sounds eerily similar, which couldn't have been a mistake. I feel like he could've just stuck with the extended metaphor throughout, given how well thought out it was and how obvious the parallels are (even unstated) to a career in the law. It was fun to read and an interesting take on a law school PS, but bringing the explicit discussion about "why law" actually detracted from this statement IMO.

I also felt there were some distracting grammatical mistakes, but overall the message was solid and that overcame any grammatical errors.

whatshouldido3

Postby whatshouldido3 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
whatshouldido3 wrote:Any idea why a school would offer an unsolicited fee waiver last cycle, but fail to extend the offer for this cycle after I contacted them?

I can think of two.

1. They have a new admissions dean who has a different policy. If you tell me the school I can likely tell you if this is true or not.

That's about all I got.

Cornell

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:13 pm

whatshouldido3 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I can think of two.

That's about all I got.

Cornell

I can tell you we don't have a new admissions dean.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Mike,
When applying to LS must I use my legal name?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:Mike,

Please tell me this is more than a redundantly stupid question.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:

Please tell me this is more than a redundantly stupid question.

Troll.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 am

I used Mclovin last cycle.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”