Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Innovative

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby Innovative » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Innovative wrote:Hey Mike and now KB,

Just finished 29 pages of this thread and wanted to thank you for all your hard work helping potential law students navigate this unfamiliar territory. Here's to hoping that this next cycle isn't a "Red Wedding" and that i'll be able to use all this information for success.

People who use Game of Thrones references get huge discounts for our services :)

Also, this year won't be a Red Wedding, you should feel good about the cycle. Thanks for the thanks!

The hardest part is the uncertainty. The black box of the T3 will likely cause some sleepless nights. The winter of admissions is coming and I hope it's short! (perhaps I worked too hard for the continued analogy :) ).

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:05 am

linkx13 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I am blown away that there are nearly twice as many applicants with LESS than a 140 as there are applicants with 170+. I honestly assumed many who score that low decide law school is not for them.

This has been my professional life for the last 13+ years and I was a little surprised, too.

Who provides these numbers?

Also, when will the new median scores come out?

Lsac releases this data per cycle, as well as per lsat for lsat frequency data.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:34 am

Clearly wrote:
linkx13 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I am blown away that there are nearly twice as many applicants with LESS than a 140 as there are applicants with 170+. I honestly assumed many who score that low decide law school is not for them.

This has been my professional life for the last 13+ years and I was a little surprised, too.

Lsac releases this data per cycle, as well as per lsat for lsat frequency data.

So LSAC is late in releasing the new medians?

haus

Postby haus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:35 am

Mike,

Congrats on the mention in the recent Fortune/CNN article.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/ ... gotiation/

To bad they did not seem to link to your site.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 am

="linkx13"

Lsac releases this data per cycle, as well as per lsat for lsat frequency data.[/quote]

So LSAC is late in releasing the new medians?[/quote]

1. what do you mean by medians?

3. If you mean for individual schools, that will not happen until Sept-Nov by each school. No one is late

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:54 am

haus wrote:Mike,

Congrats on the mention in the recent Fortune/CNN article.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/ ... gotiation/

To bad they did not seem to link to your site.

Thanks for seeing it. Too bad, after an hour phone interview, they took my two most boring quotes and left off the splashy one :(

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:04 am

MikeSpivey wrote:1. what do you mean by medians?

3. If you mean for individual schools, that will not happen until Sept-Nov by each school. No one is late

I think the confusion (at least on my part) is that there was a bunch of law school / LSAT data released around March of 2012, and there doesn't seem to have been an equivalent release in 2013 (in March, or in the five months since March).

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:51 am

Mike,
In what scenario(s) would not applying ED hurt/work against the applicant?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 am

ScottRiqui wrote:

I think the confusion (at least on my part) is that there was a bunch of law school / LSAT data released around March of 2012, and there doesn't seem to have been an equivalent release in 2013 (in March, or in the five months since March).

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but LSAC released the data for all the schools back in June: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=210734

That's for the Class of 2015. As Mike said, the schools themselves will start reporting their numbers for the Class of 2016 next month. Right now, they're not going to release any numbers because we haven't even had orientation yet. Vanderbilt's might come out soon though. Last year we started tracking the medians and class sizes in mid-August: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191337

Some schools didn't disclose their medians publicly so I don't believe we found out until the LSAC release in June. Or maybe they did at some point when we stopped paying attention. But for example, I see Harvard still only has the 75th/25th posted on its site.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:37 am

Lavitz wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but LSAC released the data for all the schools back in June: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=210734

No, what I was thinking of was the "Applicant Data" that broke up the percentage change in the number of applicants by LSAT score range. I didn't realize that the information had recently been released, and that Mike had linked to it on the previous page of this thread.

I still think it's curious that we got last year's data in March 2012, but it took until August 2013 to get this year's updated numbers.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 pm

LSAC releases the data publicly well after the cycle ends. I am not sure when that will be, but you have the LSAT portion and volumes by gender at my blog. I will release some more information when I have time -- hopefully this weekend!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:28 pm

For the next two weeks I am going to be largely off the grid here because of a huge workload. That said (and apologies) I want to give some good news in the form of a timeline of sorts.

This weekend I should have a qualitative analysis and prediction for the upcoming cycle on the excellent data mining and regression analysis that Elterrible did on his Admissions by the Numbers blog, which he has allowed me to already post on my blog.

Over the next week I will be blogging a bunch more of the 2012/13 application/applicant data. I will announce this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

...along with the award winning advice I just tweeted 15 seconds ago.

September 1 Both Karen Buttenbaum and a new mystery "to be named later" law school professional will be joining Spivey Consulting. (and we will jump back on here).

Sept. 5th Karen and I will be hosting a Q&A chat linked from my website.

Sept. 17th I am speaking at Rice. Details to follow on website.

Sept. 18th and 19th I am in Dallas visiting so heavy hitter lawyers/mentors of mine. I will try to speak at SMU and likely have time to meet for coffee with one or two people. Please email me (not PM I am way behind there and too busy to answer) if you are interested.

Sept 21 I will be tailgating in Foxboro for the VU/UMASS football game If you happen to be going let me know via email we can share a coffee.

Sept 22-25 I am in Boston and would love to speak at your school. Let me know.

I hope this is helpful and I can meet some of you fine folk on the road!

Mike

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:33 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:...along with the award winning advice I just tweeted 15 seconds ago.

:lol:

MikeSpivey wrote:September 1 Both Karen Buttenbaum and a new mystery "to be named later" law school professional will be joining Spivey Consulting. (and we will jump back on here).

Looking forward to seeing who this is. :)

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:This weekend I should have a qualitative analysis and prediction for the upcoming cycle on the excellent data mining and regression analysis that Elterrible did on his Admissions by the Numbers blog, which he has allowed me to already post on my blog.

Regarding this post:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/how-ab ... -help-now/

..."submitted" presumably means "completed"? If one submits a complete application September 5 but is registered to retake the LSAT in December, would one's file not be considered "submitted" until early January when the new score is released? Or do these files go into a third category i.e. submitted early but pending further data?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:05 am

I like your "retake" tweet. :lol:

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 pm

On the Yale blog, Asha makes it very clear that you need two academic references for YLS. At the rest of the T14, what would you say is the right mix of "recommenders?" I'll have done the whole TFA thing - would they want to see a principal letter? Would they want a more personal i.e. less academic reference? I have already contacted profs; I'm wondering what else you recommend.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:13 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I like your "retake" tweet. :lol:

:)

GettingbackUp

Postby GettingbackUp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I have a question I don't see mentioned anywhere in the thread. As a former admissions officer, you likely will be able to answer this.
If someone checks yes on the "pending criminal charges" box on the C&F portion, are they automatically disqualified from admission?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:21 am

GettingbackUp wrote:I have a question I don't see mentioned anywhere in the thread. As a former admissions officer, you likely will be able to answer this.
If someone checks yes on the "pending criminal charges" box on the C&F portion, are they automatically disqualified from admission?

No.

t14splitter

Postby t14splitter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Mike,

The Vanderbilt application asks what the expected parental contribution will be for first year expenses. Do you have any insight on why they ask this?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:56 pm

t14splitter wrote:Mike,

The Vanderbilt application asks what the expected parental contribution will be for first year expenses. Do you have any insight on why they ask this?

Well, I try not to speak for the schools I used to work at publicly because it oddly would feel like betrayal on my behalf. But it's a long time question of theirs and it has zero bearing on your admissions chances.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Also, keep this data marked for next year because T3 are still admitting off of the WL, I know for a fact. there is so much you can do that has nothing to do with numbers to be admitted at this stage of the WL.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:21 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Also, keep this data marked for next year because T3 are still admitting off of the WL, I know for a fact. there is so much you can do that has nothing to do with numbers to be admitted at this stage of the WL.

Like be an American citizen who qualifies for federal student loans?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Also, keep this data marked for next year because T3 are still admitting off of the WL, I know for a fact. there is so much you can do that has nothing to do with numbers to be admitted at this stage of the WL.

Like be an American citizen who qualifies for federal student loans?

When you ( Spivey) says T3, do you mean HYS? Or TTT?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”