MikeSpivey wrote:cinderellasyndrome wrote:MikeSpivey wrote:cinderellasyndrome wrote:MikeSpivey wrote:cinderellasyndrome wrote:Hey, I'm not sure if I'm too late here, but I've got a question.
I applied very late in this cycle to a school I really want to go to (regional out of state) and was waitlisted. I followed up with a LOCI and a phone call. They ended up accepting me off the waitlist, after saying it was very unlikely they'd take anyone, and giving me scholarship money. With that said, between the time I was waitlisted and the time they accepted me, I got to thinking that I should wait one more cycle (for multiple reasons, personal health being primary) and settled on that pretty quickly.
My question is, given all they did for me this cycle, am I shooting myself in the foot by turning down their offer, citing my desire to wait a cycle, and applying pretty much as soon as my September LSATs come in? It's my top choice school and I'm almost positive it will be next year as well; I'm just not ready to start law school and I'm thinking it will end up being a mistake to start this fall.
You might be for sure with THAT school. I have a feeling if it is where you wanted to be, it may be problematic next cycle.
So my options are to go to my dream school before I'm ready and go into way more debt than I'm comfortable with to do it, or to give up on the school entirely?
Does the answer change if I get my LSAT score up?
Or ask for a deferral. Or yes retake and if you get a better score let them know you still hope to be there you were just worried about debt. If you weren't ready why did you apply this cycle? (asking for law school -- who will have the same exact question if you reapply, and think you didn't actually get your real dream school).
It sort of took me a while to realize I wasn't ready. I definitely have plans to ask about deferral and remain in very close contact with them to reassure them of my continued interest.
I'm confused by your last comment. You're saying that the school will think they're not my dream school and that I'm lying to them somehow?
You told them they are your dream school and yet after they admitted you, you are now not going and taking the LSAT. So they will be suspicious. Or at least most would be. Every year almost every school gets burned by just this. So yes, they possibly will think you were telling multiple schools that each was the dream school when the one you really want you weren't admitted to. The fact that you thought to ask makes me also think instinctually you get all of this.
Ah, there's the point of confusion. I said here that they're my dream school (which is true); I never used those terms or any similar terms with them. I wrote a pretty standard-issue LOCI, honestly. And yes, I do get this on some level, but I worry that my knowledge of my own motivations is clouding my ability to assess how to best proceed. Why I'm asking you these questions is because you provide an objective, experienced take on how this will read to the adcom (for which I'm deeply grateful, by the way) – which, ultimately, is the only thing that's going to matter. As an example, your point about "not going and taking the LSAT" is well taken, and I hadn't considered how those two things would look in combination. I appreciate your time and expertise. If I could bother you with one final question (recognizing that you've done more than enough already) – if you were a dean of admission at this school, what if anything would convince you that someone like me were committed to attending next cycle?