Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officer

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Here is a reminder with the link for tomorrow's admissions Q&A Chat, at 8pm EST. I'll tweet the link tomorrow for a final reminder:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/chat/

Postby 052220151 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:56 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here is a reminder with the link for tomorrow's admissions Q&A Chat, at 8pm EST. I'll tweet the link tomorrow for a final reminder:

Spivey, sadly I won't be able to make it. Could you perhaps record it/document it so that stragglers like myself can read/listen later?

Thanks!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm

deputydog wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Here is a reminder with the link for tomorrow's admissions Q&A Chat, at 8pm EST. I'll tweet the link tomorrow for a final reminder:

Spivey, sadly I won't be able to make it. Could you perhaps record it/document it so that stragglers like myself can read/listen later?

Thanks!

Just answered that a page ago.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Thanks!

Just answered that a page ago.

Bro, Stefan, you can't expect me to read back can you? Thanks man!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:52 am

Yep, Mr. Dog, we'll do another one in August and it'll be on a weekend so work folks will not have conflicts.

of course, this all depends on getting my blog back online after Stefan The Impaler knocked it off the grid last night.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am

In better news we may have two Deans of Admissions join our chat tonight.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:31 pm

In breaking news...LSAC has released test taker data for the June LSAT. 23,997 individuals took the June test, down 1,226 - 4.9% - from June 2012. The number of first-time takers was down about 5% compared to June 2012.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:In breaking news...LSAC has released test taker data for the June LSAT. 23,997 individuals took the June test, down 1,226 - 4.9% - from June 2012. The number of first-time takers was down about 5% compared to June 2012.

Thoughts???

(*interested 2013-14 applicant)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:In breaking news...LSAC has released test taker data for the June LSAT. 23,997 individuals took the June test, down 1,226 - 4.9% - from June 2012. The number of first-time takers was down about 5% compared to June 2012.

Thoughts???

Good initial news for 2013-14 applicants. Could change of Oct bounces up but the trend seems to still be downward.

A secondary thought is I bet we lose a few law schools in the next year.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

Thoughts???

Good initial news for 2013-14 applicants. Could change of Oct bounces up but the trend seems to still be downward.

Which ones? A couple friends and people who know people at true TTTs/unranked schools have been talking about schools accepting almost everyone and offering people with abhorrent stats half scholarships.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:07 pm

LRGhost wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:

Thoughts???

Which ones?

No way am I going down that path.

tbq1988

Postby tbq1988 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Happy to see a continuing downward trend in test takers. I thought I saw somewhere on here that the number of applicants in the 170+ range has decreased more percentagewise than most other score bands. My hypothesis is that since 170+ takers are in high demand from the top schools, less of them are retaking or reapplying since they are getting accepted into the top schools. If fewer 170+ scores are applying in multiple cycles, this would seem to account for the additional decrease in 170+ applicants. Do you think this is what has occurred or is some other factor playing a role?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks all who joined the chat tonight. It was a bit chaotic because I had three deans of admissions in there with us, but we will do again and if there is one thing I love in life more than all others it is process improvement. SO we will make it less chaotic next time, which will likely be early August on a weekend.

Thanks again!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 pm

mvonh001 wrote:How looked down upon is a prior DUI arrest (pled guilty and took a divergence program to reduce it to a reckless driving) and Blank prescription arrest (Charge dropped - The prescription wasnt a real dr or anything looking real, it was a prop for school, but when i was arrested for DUI they found it in my car)

What should I do about this situation?

The DUI is probably more common than most think. If there are no other alcohol related incidents (past or future) and if the circumstances of the case helped you to plead it down, I think it will not impact the vast majority of schools.

I actually have never seen a blank rx infraction before but since it was dropped for really good reason I think you are entirely fine there.

That reminds me, anyone hear the story of the 4 students who missed a test because they got a flat tire coming back from Spring Break and asked their Prof for an extension?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:How looked down upon is a prior DUI arrest (pled guilty and took a divergence program to reduce it to a reckless driving) and Blank prescription arrest (Charge dropped - The prescription wasnt a real dr or anything looking real, it was a prop for school, but when i was arrested for DUI they found it in my car)

What should I do about this situation?

The DUI is probably more common than most think. If there are no other alcohol related incidents (past or future) and if the circumstances of the case helped you to plead it down, I think it will not impact the vast majority of schools.

I actually have never seen a blank rx infraction before but since it was dropped for really good reason I think you are entirely fine there.

That reminds me, anyone hear the story of the 4 students who missed a test because they got a flat tire coming back from Spring Break and asked their Prof for an extension?

Lol which tire was it.

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:15 pm

I have a quick question. I took a semester off from school because I had to work for my family's business. Is this something I will need to explain in my application? I did self-study and CLEPed 15 credits during the semester.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 am

sasquatchsam wrote:I have a quick question. I took a semester off from school because I had to work for my family's business. Is this something I will need to explain in my application? I did self-study and CLEPed 15 credits during the semester.

Nope.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:37 am

sasquatchsam wrote:I have a quick question. I took a semester off from school because I had to work for my family's business. Is this something I will need to explain in my application? I did self-study and CLEPed 15 credits during the semester.

Sasquatch,

I actually would include an addendum. A few reasons:

(1) People (especially on the hiring side but also admissions) notice gaps in resumes, school, etc. and these gaps can be red flags. So an addendum on this would easily preempt that read flag.

(2) The words "had to work" lead me to believe you did this for the right reasons and such a statement will have a human element to it. Keep in mind that most admissions officers get into admissions, in part, because they like people. So appealing to this side can't hurt.

I hope this helps!

Mike

Oh yea I will tweet some new blog articles by today. I have about 5 mostly finish and I am going to release them in a shock and awe campaign. Ok, well not really that but I will post them in a flurry. https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Where da poasts at?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Where da poasts at?

I posted unpublished ABA applicant data about an hour ago. I'll keep posting the blog articles as well, all of which I link through Twitter. I need to be mindful of how often I link things on here, sayeth the powers that be.

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:45 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Sasquatch,

(1) People (especially on the hiring side but also admissions) notice gaps in resumes, school, etc. and these gaps can be red flags. So an addendum on this would easily preempt that read flag.

(2) The words "had to work" lead me to believe you did this for the right reasons and such a statement will have a human element to it. Keep in mind that most admissions officers get into admissions, in part, because they like people. So appealing to this side can't hurt.

I hope this helps!

Mike

Glad to hear you think I can make this into a positive aspect of my application. For some reason, my Academic Summary Report shows all of my test credits as being earned in my first semester instead of spread out through my college career. Is this something I should address with LSAC or do they normally just lump all test credits into the first semester you attended? I don't want anyone to think I am being dishonest when I say that I CLEPed 15 credits in the semester I took off when it doesn't show that on the Academic Summary Report.

Yes, it was for a good reason. My family was struggling financially and despite working full time we still lost our home and our business.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

Sasquatch,

Mike,

Thanks so much for all your advice so far, I read the entire thread and it is incredibly helpful! To piggyback on this person's question, if you took a year off after graduating early and traveled/studied for the LSAT/worked crappy retail job, and then started a good job, should the year off go on your resume or in an addendum? I don't particularly want to list said crappy retail job on my resume, but I know a year-long gap will be a red flag.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

NYC2012 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Sasquatch,

Mike,

Thanks so much for all your advice so far, I read the entire thread and it is incredibly helpful! To piggyback on this person's question, if you took a year off after graduating early and traveled/studied for the LSAT/worked crappy retail job, and then started a good job, should the year off go on your resume or in an addendum? I don't particularly want to list said crappy retail job on my resume, but I know a year-long gap will be a red flag.

It's difficult and goofy to include a year off in the resume, e.g.:

5/2-11 - 3/2012 Year Off

...so i would just address this in a very brief addendum. Certainly law schools can understand "I was studying for the LSAT" so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only red flag would be if yo went on and on in your addendum, as that always looks suspicious for inconsequential thing. Thanks for the thanks!

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am

Mike have you ever heard of a student negotiating a discount on student housing? I don't plan on asking for too much. Maybe $5k off of the $17k price of law student housing and they already told me I have a great shot at paying $2k for tuition by way of scholly. Any thoughts?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm

ALeal90 wrote:Mike have you ever heard of a student negotiating a discount on student housing? I don't plan on asking for too much. Maybe $5k off of the $17k price of law student housing and they already told me I have a great shot at paying $2k for tuition by way of scholly. Any thoughts?

Yes. if they offer student housing, i.e. the are the landlord or owners, you can possibly negotiate down. The only wrinkle is that admissions won't control this so you will have to have them argue on your behalf --some will be good at this and eager to do so and other lazy and unaccommodating, I would imagine.

I feel like I should offer a consulting package for this, i.e. for 1k I will negotiate your rent down 5k :)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”