Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Pozzo

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby Pozzo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:05 am

Last edited by Pozzo on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReadyToStart

Postby ReadyToStart » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 am

Hi Spivey Crew!

Thanks for answering my previous question. What seems to be the consensus in regards to disclosing moving violation tickets? I was recently isued a non-speeding ticket and am wondering if I have to update the schools that I have already applied to/been accepted to?
Thanks!

jurisdoctor2020

Postby jurisdoctor2020 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 am

Good morning, Spivey Team, and thanks for guiding us through this rather unusual cycle!

I have a question regarding the disclosure of speeding tickets. In the process of switching auto insurance recently, I realized that I had received a small speeding ticket 4 years ago that I had forgotten about, and therefore forgot to disclose on my applications.

I want to be upfront with schools and let them know, but I also don't want to come across as unprepared (it was an honest mistake). Do you think it is worth notifying them about this matter and, if so, do you think an email would suffice or should I prepare a small addendum to have added to my file?

Thank you very much!!

SybillAnnDorsett

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 am

Hello, Team Spivey:

I'm a bit confused re: your tweet earlier concerning the rare "counter-cycle" in which applicants who apply later might reap some benefits for having done so. I'm (improperly) drawing (poor) conclusions from this so I'm hoping for some clarification on your end.

(1) Are applicants who applied early and have not yet been WL'd or dinged okay?
(2) Deferred ED applicants or applicants who already are on WLs - disadvantaged?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:58 am

This is in response to the Character and Fitness questions regarding speeding tickets:

Each school asks a different question, so it is very important that you respond accurately to the individual questions that are asked. Some don't care about minor moving violations, but will care about more significant infractions such as DUI.
Some will say "have you ever been cited..." which would include these things.
When in doubt, it is almost always better to disclose these minor things than to have then come back and bite you later for not disclosing. So if you forgot to disclose, just send an update to the school and let them know. You can explain that it was an oversight -- don't worry about it looking bad that you forgot. it's better to give them the correct information.
One standard speeding ticket is not going to change a decision from a yes to a no.

KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 am

quigleyest wrote:Dear Spivey Consulting,

I have a decent LSAT on file (170-175). It is in the target range for pretty much all schools. Will HLS consider a february LSAT in deciding admissions? I don't see why they would not...

If you are an applicant and take the Feb test, all schools should get an automatic update on your new score. But, if you want HLS or any other school to hold your decision until the results come out, it wold be wise to alert the school that you are taking the test and that you would like your decision held until the results come out.
Although all schools have the ability to see if you are registered for a future test, not all schools look at or use that information.

Also, you can always call the admissions office and ask a question like this -- but always be kind to the person who answers the phone :)

KB

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Pozzo wrote:Hi Team Spivey, I misstated an award on my resume and apps by putting an extra semester of dean's list. I was just reading my transcript and caught it. I had the grades to qualify, but I was undeclared freshman year and dean's list awards are issued by specific colleges at my ugrad. Almost all my apps are in now. Is this an error worth contacting schools about in the interest of transparency? Or does it look worse by drawing attention to it?

I advise correcting it. It's a minor error, yes, but unlike a typo (also a common minor error), it's an inaccuracy. Better to be transparent and acknowledge it.

DM

Pozzo

Postby Pozzo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:53 pm

DerekMeeker wrote:
I advise correcting it. It's a minor error, yes, but unlike a typo (also a common minor error), it's an inaccuracy. Better to be transparent and acknowledge it.

DM

Thank you.

vcap180

Postby vcap180 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
vcap180 wrote:Spivey you're a legend.

Here is my question: I've heard you speak about "reverse cycles" -- cycles during which it may actually be beneficial to apply somewhat later; do you think this could be one of them? Applicants are down and it look like the last two LSATs were pretty brutal...

No, I don't think it will likely be one. It's just going to be a slower cycle. "Counter cycles" usually occur a year after a really strong cycle and then a bad early cycle, which aren't exactly the conditions here. But it is certainly possible, since the LSAT groupings last year were so plus. Will be interesting to see! Also that is a pretty astute observation.

Mike - I just saw your tweet related to this. Do I have a future in the law school admissions consulting game?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 pm

vcap180 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Here is my question: I've heard you speak about "reverse cycles" -- cycles during which it may actually be beneficial to apply somewhat later; do you think this could be one of them? Applicants are down and it look like the last two LSATs were pretty brutal...

No, I don't think it will likely be one. It's just going to be a slower cycle. "Counter cycles" usually occur a year after a really strong cycle and then a bad early cycle, which aren't exactly the conditions here. But it is certainly possible, since the LSAT groupings last year were so plus. Will be interesting to see! Also that is a pretty astute observation.

Mike - I just saw your tweet related to this. Do I have a future in the law school admissions consulting game?

You called it before we did! In fact, we still aren't calling it entirely, but in general down cycles that follow up cycles that start off slow produce some counter-cycle outcomes. So we seem primed for one. I feel like a weatherman for some reason.

lawnerd87

Postby lawnerd87 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Last edited by lawnerd87 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Thoughts on 2018 rankings? When will they be released? Any predictions in movements?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:17 am

zeglo wrote:Thoughts on 2018 rankings? When will they be released? Any predictions in movements?

It's funny a law school dean asked me that the other day -- I couldn't help but think "should you be the one that knows." But 'tis the season to get jumpy. March 10th-15th-ish I believe.

lalaw1229

Postby lalaw1229 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:21 am

Hey Spivey,

This is probably a dumb question but are the 2018 rankings based on the class of 2019 or the class of 2020 admissions data?

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:32 am

somedeadman wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
somedeadman wrote:I'm a longtime poster trying to conceal my identity, and am looking to get some advice.

I’m interested in hearing if I should take again, and if so, what can I do to study?

GPA: 3.68
LSATs: 169, 168

Dilemma: Completely out of testing material; have done almost every practice test twice, and have done many three times

Practice test score range on a fresh test was 167-172….would score 175+ on retakes. So a 169 is about right in my range.

With that said, I was waitlisted at my two of my top three choices, which is why I’m thinking it may be time to suite up again. But having beaten the crap out already existing problems, am I out of luck? For my first take, I studied for exactly a year. For my retake, I had to do test retakes and reretakes. As you can see, my score actually went down using this method.

169 sounds like it might be my score, but having gotten as high as a 172 on a fresh test, I have a hard time giving this one up, especially when even one extra point would make a huge difference for me.

P.S. BRed all of my prep tests, as well as any problem I drilled.

Top choices are Penn, UVA (waitlisted), Duke (waitlisted). Would love Columbia or Harvard, but know that's not going to happen.

Yep, I'd personally take again. A lower score means absolutely nothing and even one point higher could mean everything. Seems like a no brainer based on what I know.

Thanks so much for answering my question! Do you know what I can do to study though? I studied for a year and a half for the first two takes and have run out of problems (redid many of them 3x)

I'm being serious when I say this: Google LSAC India. This is what Indians take to get into our law schools. They only have four answer choices, not five lol, but the questions are as close as youll get to ours. Also, check out MCAT reading comprehension passages. Three times as arcane and hard.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

Good or bad idea to call reach schools and express interest?

freekick

Postby freekick » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
somedeadman wrote:I'm a longtime poster trying to conceal my identity, and am looking to get some advice.

I’m interested in hearing if I should take again, and if so, what can I do to study?

GPA: 3.68
LSATs: 169, 168

Dilemma: Completely out of testing material; have done almost every practice test twice, and have done many three times

Practice test score range on a fresh test was 167-172….would score 175+ on retakes. So a 169 is about right in my range.

With that said, I was waitlisted at my two of my top three choices, which is why I’m thinking it may be time to suite up again. But having beaten the crap out already existing problems, am I out of luck? For my first take, I studied for exactly a year. For my retake, I had to do test retakes and reretakes. As you can see, my score actually went down using this method.

169 sounds like it might be my score, but having gotten as high as a 172 on a fresh test, I have a hard time giving this one up, especially when even one extra point would make a huge difference for me.

P.S. BRed all of my prep tests, as well as any problem I drilled.

Top choices are Penn, UVA (waitlisted), Duke (waitlisted). Would love Columbia or Harvard, but know that's not going to happen.

Yep, I'd personally take again. A lower score means absolutely nothing and even one point higher could mean everything. Seems like a no brainer based on what I know.

Thanks so much for answering my question! Do you know what I can do to study though? I studied for a year and a half for the first two takes and have run out of problems (redid many of them 3x)

I'm being serious when I say this: Google LSAC India. This is what Indians take to get into our law schools. They only have four answer choices, not five lol, but the questions are as close as youll get to ours. Also, check out MCAT reading comprehension passages. Three times as arcane and hard.

LSAT is uniform across all administrations, American or otherwise.

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Last edited by proteinshake on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBananaStand

Postby TheBananaStand » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm

First off, thank you for doing this.

I took the LSAT a couple years ago and am currently in the workforce. For the 5 year limit on the test, does that mean my score needs to be valid when I apply to law school or when I actually enroll.

I.e. If I took the LSAT in June 2014, can I enroll with that score in Fall 2019?

appind

Postby appind » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:45 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

LSAT india tests are not the regular international LSAT tests and their scores are not used to gain admission into US law schools. Those applying to US law school take the international LSAT which is similar to the NA lsat.

somedeadman

Postby somedeadman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:45 pm

appind wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

LSAT india tests are not the regular international LSAT tests and their scores are not used to gain admission into US law schools. Those applying to US law school take the international LSAT which is similar to the NA lsat.

Do you think it's still worth checking it out as a side study source (along with the MCAT passages)?

I'm taking the test in June, and am currently studying for it by either taking or drilling every practice test twice. Like I've said, I did 70 practice tests, along with drilling, overall for my first two takes, so I hope this works as a strategy.

One major change I'm bringing to my training is doing 6, 7, and 8 (possibly eventually 9) section practice tests.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 pm

lawnerd87 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

You called it before we did! In fact, we still aren't calling it entirely, but in general down cycles that follow up cycles that start off slow produce some counter-cycle outcomes. So we seem primed for one. I feel like a weatherman for some reason.

In a counter cycle, could it still work to your benefit if you apply early but schools hold onto your application for a while?

I'm curious about this as well. Since the decisions are coming slower this cycle, that means they're holding on to apps longer, so how does that factor into the counter-cycle, "later might actually be better" climate?

bwaldorf

Postby bwaldorf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Last edited by bwaldorf on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a_j_l

Postby a_j_l » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

When do you think you'll have enough data to determine if it's actually a counter-cycle? I'm a December test-taker with a score between 170 and 173, and submitted my applications over the past couple of weeks...and I'm kicking myself for submitting so late. Would love to know if this isn't as much a negative as I'm imagining! (And so I can stop checking your twitter every day :wink: )

mrgstephe

Postby mrgstephe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 pm

a_j_l wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

When do you think you'll have enough data to determine if it's actually a counter-cycle? I'm a December test-taker with a score between 170 and 173, and submitted my applications over the past couple of weeks...and I'm kicking myself for submitting so late. Would love to know if this isn't as much a negative as I'm imagining! (And so I can stop checking your twitter every day :wink: )

Unless you have an awful GPA, you should be absolutely fantastic with a score in this range. If you have a great GPA and that score and still are worried about how things are going to turn out, you are probably neurotic.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”