Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

What movie should we all watch at the Spivey Consulting Firm Retreat?

The Town
12%
Interstellar
39%
Cabin in the Woods
25%
Logan
25%

Total votes: 101

godinacup

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby godinacup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Spivey,

Georgetown Law Center is my dream school, and I applied Early Decision early in the cycle. I just received notification that I've been placed on their Regular Waitlist, which I understand is lower-ranked than their Priority Reserve Wait List.

I'm disappointed, but Georgetown is still my dream school. What can I do to best leverage my spot on the regular wait list? Any and all advice is appreciated -- I'm all ears!

Thanks,
godinacup
(spoiler: it's coffee)

JD_Kingfish

Postby JD_Kingfish » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:29 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Mike, if you could qualm my fears as I am super confused, pissed as well. I just got an email from the school saying:

"Thank you for participating in our interview process for Georgetown University Law Center. Although the record you present is a strong one, the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.''

So, that's a wait list? I am way above their 75th for LSAT, and have the median GPA. I even had a GREAT interview, went on for an hour, and they said I would make a great fit. Im absolutely livid. Someone please help me. Im freaking the fuck out.

Is this YP? please forgive the hostility, but i am just in awe of the situation. If it'sa YP situation, I can live that, but I really am lost. Plez halp

Well, there is good news and possibly bad news. I'm happy to share my take but only if you promise not to flip out at ME. You seem a bit distraught (which is understandable although I am concerned that you would do so in a public platform GULC could likely easily figure out who you are based on your message) now and perhaps what I will say will be translated to shooting the interpreter. Which I honestly don't have time for at this point in the cycle.

Hey Mike,
I am in the same situation and would appreciate any insight into this.
Thank you.

SUNY1995

Postby SUNY1995 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by SUNY1995 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:27 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Mike, if you could qualm my fears as I am super confused, pissed as well. I just got an email from the school saying:

"Thank you for participating in our interview process for Georgetown University Law Center. Although the record you present is a strong one, the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.''

So, that's a wait list? I am way above their 75th for LSAT, and have the median GPA. I even had a GREAT interview, went on for an hour, and they said I would make a great fit. Im absolutely livid. Someone please help me. Im freaking the fuck out.

Is this YP? please forgive the hostility, but i am just in awe of the situation. If it'sa YP situation, I can live that, but I really am lost. Plez halp

Well, there is good news and possibly bad news. I'm happy to share my take but only if you promise not to flip out at ME. You seem a bit distraught (which is understandable although I am concerned that you would do so in a public platform GULC could likely easily figure out who you are based on your message) now and perhaps what I will say will be translated to shooting the interpreter. Which I honestly don't have time for at this point in the cycle.

Hey Mike,
Thank you.

Oh, I'm not freaking out at anyone but myself. Neither am I attacking the school or anyone else. I'm just really in shock because GULC was one of my Top choices and everything seemed like it was going on track to admittance.

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:59 pm

SUNY1995 wrote:Hi Spivey,

After trying to figure out if I should write an LSAT addendum, I have received a lot of mixed opinions, most of them saying no, but I would like to ask for your advice.

On the September LSAT I received a 167, but this score dropped to a 164 on the December exam. I have a very high GPA and am applying to mid-low T14 schools. Do you think an addendum would be necessary for this 3 point drop? I don't have an extraordinary excuse, besides anxiety, which I can prove, but I honestly don't know if its necessary. What would your advice be?

No, you do not need to write an addendum.

DM

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
raidr wrote:If I sign up to retake the LSAT in February but my application is already submitted, will law schools even know that I've signed up to retake if I don't tell them explicitly?

So long as they run a very simple report they will know. If you want your file held until your Feb score comes out I would tell them via email though, just in case.

Should we email them if we don't want them to hold our file, or is the default for them to move ahead if the file is complete and there hasn't been a request to hold?

You only need to email them if you want them to hold your file for a future LSAT score.

SJ1211

Postby SJ1211 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi there:

Thanks for all your advice!

I'm attending a conference early this Spring near one of my top choice schools. Since I'll be in the area, I would love to visit (even if my application is still pending). What's the appropriate way to approach this? I assume I can't just show up unannounced at the admissions office; should I email them? Will that be seen as disruptive?

Would really appreciate any advice! If it's relevant, this question is with regards to one of the top 3 schools (so I expect their admissions offices are pretty busy and know they won't have much trouble attracting applicants).

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi all, in response to the requests about how to get off a WL for a specific school, we really can't say as it wouldn't be fair to our clients. I promise the second I win the lottery I will put everything I know on here for free (and then start playing video games on my new alien ware).

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:24 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
JD_Kingfish wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Hey Mike,
Thank you.

Oh, I'm not freaking out at anyone but myself. Neither am I attacking the school or anyone else. I'm just really in shock because GULC was one of my Top choices and everything seemed like it was going on track to admittance.

Okay so in response to this -- the good news is that you were held. My experience is that the vast majority, if not all for some schools, of held applicants get admitted and are still in the running for merit aid. Plus if everything you say is true and it was a great interview if you simply follow-up and let them know you are still interested maybe they just made a mistake? Great interview plus your numbers should = admit + money.

My concern is that you weren't admitted and thus it wasn't the GREAT interview you think it was, especially since an hour is almost unprecedented. Often, when people tell me how great their interviews went these are the people that get WL's. I'm not entirely sure what is behind this correlation but maybe it is that the interviewee did too much talking? A really good interview should be organic where both parties are talking a lot. OR, maybe this correlation is about ego? The people that seem to have the best interview results seem to be the people who say "I think it went pretty well but we'll see." This is just macro thinking, of course, any micro situation such as yours could be different. Either way I would suspect you get good news from them, not bad.

CPA-->JD

Postby CPA-->JD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Spivey,

I was just denied at Georgetown on Friday. I applied in November with a 166/3.9, had an ok alumni interview in December, and got a 173 on the December lsat.

Do you think it's possible they didn't take my new score into consideration or is normal for them to deny applicants with my numbers? I was pretty surprised I wasn't even waitlisted...
Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:13 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:Hi Spivey,

I was just denied at Georgetown on Friday. I applied in November with a 166/3.9, had an ok alumni interview in December, and got a 173 on the December lsat.

Do you think it's possible they didn't take my new score into consideration or is normal for them to deny applicants with my numbers? I was pretty surprised I wasn't even waitlisted...
Thanks!

Certainly seems plausible. I'd ask if your file can be reevaluated with the Dec. score. Why not?

CPA-->JD

Postby CPA-->JD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:19 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:Hi Spivey,

Thanks!

Certainly seems plausible. I'd ask if your file can be reevaluated with the Dec. score. Why not?

Thanks! Was just wondering the process since the scores came out Tuesday and I got the denial Friday. If it's possible that they missed it I'll definitely ask them if they can re-evaluate.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Mike and the rest of the Spivey team,

I was looking over the Cycle data you've released and have a few questions concerning what the data is actually representing.

Take the 180 scorers for example:
http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2016-2 ... of-1-5-17/
Score # % Change
180 15 -48.3%

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2016-2 ... 12-9-2016/
Score # %Change
180 22 -40.9%

I'm interpreting this as saying that there were 22 applicants as of 12/9/2016 with a 180 - which was a -40% decrease in number from the same time last year, but somehow 7 of those applicants are not counted just a month later when there are only 15 180 scorers as of 1/5/2017.

This doesn't make sense to me unless people are withdrawing their applications or are for some other reason no longer being counted.

Do you have an explanation for this or am i just reading the numbers wrong?

The same phenomena appears for the score bands of 177, 176, 174, 171 (I only checked the 170+ data)
The only explanation I can think of would be that people are retaking so they are moving up in the score bands - i didn't crunch the numbers exactly, but it doesn't look like this is possible as the numbers from lower scores would have to be funneling up into the higher bands, which they don't appear to be doing.

TLDR - your data seems to be saying that applicants in some score bands are decreasing during the same cycle - i'm confused

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Helioze wrote:Mike and the rest of the Spivey team,

I was looking over the Cycle data you've released and have a few questions concerning what the data is actually representing.

Score # % Change
180 15 -48.3%

Score # %Change
180 22 -40.9%

I'm interpreting this as saying that there were 22 applicants as of 12/9/2016 with a 180 - which was a -40% decrease in number from the same time last year, but somehow 7 of those applicants are not counted just a month later when there are only 15 180 scorers as of 1/5/2017.

This doesn't make sense to me unless people are withdrawing their applications or are for some other reason no longer being counted.

The same phenomena appears for the score bands of 177, 176, 174, 171 (I only checked the 170+ data)
The only explanation I can think of would be that people are retaking so they are moving up in the score bands - i didn't crunch the numbers exactly, but it doesn't look like this is possible as the numbers from lower scores would have to be funneling up into the higher bands, which they don't appear to be doing.

TLDR - your data seems to be saying that applicants in some score bands are decreasing during the same cycle - i'm confused

Yep, aware of this and someone has already emailed the powers that be to ask whats up. More soon I hope!

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:38 pm

I found what I believe to be a grammatical error on my resume. I forgot to put in a word. Let it go? Or resend resume?

xn3345

Postby xn3345 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:20 am

Last edited by xn3345 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReadyToStart

Postby ReadyToStart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am

Hey Spivey crew,
I'm considering dropping my Honors minor, which includes a substantial thesis. I've already applied, and been accepted, to law schools with my old transcript and resume which includes this minor. Would dropping my minor be enough cause to revoke an acceptance? Also, if I choose to reapply next year, would my missing thesis and minor negatively affect me?

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
JD_Kingfish wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Hey Mike,
Thank you.

Okay so in response to this -- the good news is that you were held. My experience is that the vast majority, if not all for some schools, of held applicants get admitted and are still in the running for merit aid. Plus if everything you say is true and it was a great interview if you simply follow-up and let them know you are still interested maybe they just made a mistake? Great interview plus your numbers should = admit + money.

My concern is that you weren't admitted and thus it wasn't the GREAT interview you think it was, especially since an hour is almost unprecedented. Often, when people tell me how great their interviews went these are the people that get WL's. I'm not entirely sure what is behind this correlation but maybe it is that the interviewee did too much talking? A really good interview should be organic where both parties are talking a lot. OR, maybe this correlation is about ego? The people that seem to have the best interview results seem to be the people who say "I think it went pretty well but we'll see." This is just macro thinking, of course, any micro situation such as yours could be different. Either way I would suspect you get good news from them, not bad.

Thanks for the detailed response! I think youre right about my inflated ego and expectations. Nothing went wrong so I assumed everything went well. Much appreciated, Mike.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Score # % Change
180 15 -48.3%

Score # %Change
180 22 -40.9%

Hey Helioze,

The Dec %'s were correct but we used the wrong column for raw numbers (from the previous year) and thus those are incorrect. The good news is that for the post we put up Jan 5, reflecting Dec. 30th data, every number and percentage is accurate. So the most recent data is 100% accurate, and the percentages on the old data were also accurate. So user error on our end on the first report on raw numbers -- apologies for that and good catch.

Mike

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

Score # % Change
180 15 -48.3%

Score # %Change
180 22 -40.9%

Hey Helioze,

The Dec %'s were correct but we used the wrong column for raw numbers (from the previous year) and thus those are incorrect. The good news is that for the post we put up Jan 5, reflecting Dec. 30th data, every number and percentage is accurate. So the most recent data is 100% accurate, and the percentages on the old data were also accurate. So user error on our end on the first report on raw numbers -- apologies for that and good catch.

Mike

Got it. Glad its not my mind going off the rails!

Thank you so much for publishing that data btw - very interesting stuff!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 pm

xn3345 wrote:Hi Spivey wizards,

My GPA went down .01 this semester. Would not sending my new transcripts to law schools be frowned upon? Of course I would send them if a school asked explicitly.

Thanks so much for your time. I know you guys must be swamped.

Many schools have it in writing somewhere what their expectations are of you in terms of submitting your transcripts. I would say that most schools expect that you will update them, but you do have a generous grace period for sending it in. Just know that eventually you will be expected to send it in.

KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:53 pm

ReadyToStart wrote:Hey Spivey crew,
I'm considering dropping my Honors minor, which includes a substantial thesis. I've already applied, and been accepted, to law schools with my old transcript and resume which includes this minor. Would dropping my minor be enough cause to revoke an acceptance? Also, if I choose to reapply next year, would my missing thesis and minor negatively affect me?

While we can't give individual advice on the potential for revoking an acceptance, I will say that this is rather benign compared to the reasons that I have seen for revoking an acceptance.
Call the school and ask them - you've done nothing at this point besides consider it, so just asking is not a big deal.
It's hard to say what your reapplication would look like in this forum -- we only give general advice here and that question is too specific for a valuable response.

KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:57 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:I found what I believe to be a grammatical error on my resume. I forgot to put in a word. Let it go? Or resend resume?

Please tell me you didn't leave out the "L" in "Public" ... I've seen that one before and had a chuckle ...
A small grammatical error is unlikely to change your decision from a yes to a no, so I would say let it go.
If you have something new to add to your resume, you could update it and send in a new one.

KB

lawschool2016nyc

Postby lawschool2016nyc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:22 pm

quigleyest

Postby quigleyest » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Dear Spivey Consulting,

I have a decent LSAT on file (170-175). It is in the target range for pretty much all schools. Will HLS consider a february LSAT in deciding admissions? I don't see why they would not...

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”