Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

proteinshake

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby proteinshake » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:30 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Protein, I wouldn't sweat it.

thanks! :D

TexasENG

Postby TexasENG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:43 am

Last edited by TexasENG on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhbiv

Postby dhbiv » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Last edited by dhbiv on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gitaroo_Dude

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:11 pm

TexasENG wrote:Well fantasy football was fun this year :o. Now that it's over I guess it's back to the application grind

:cry:

Congrats btw on fielding a most dominant team. 8)

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
TexasENG wrote:Well fantasy football was fun this year :o. Now that it's over I guess it's back to the application grind

:cry:

Congrats btw on fielding a most dominant team. 8)

Yup, very well done Tex! Thanks to everyone for a fun year.

clueless801

Postby clueless801 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:34 pm

LOR question: Before leaving undergrad, I asked a professor who I was close with to write me a recommendation. On top of knowing me and my work well, he was highly regarded in his particular subject and worked for top orgs (I'm not dropping names to keep it vague). He is also a T6 law alum though I'm not sure how much that matters. Issue is, the semester after I left school, he got into a verbal altercation and was asked to leave the school. Does the T14 look in depth at who writes your LORs? I'd still like this guy to write it for me (granted, I haven't asked him about the LOR since touching base about this incident) because of his credentials alone and because he was very in tune with my work and my goals. But, would it negatively affect my application in any way given that he no longer works with my undergrad?

Also, please don't quote because I'm not sure how often such a thing happens!
Last edited by clueless801 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Yea man...congrats on the win. Definitely a commanding performance! 8)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:52 pm

dhbiv wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
appind wrote:not really, i didn't post my profile on this thread or reddit before.

Okay, well the short of it is it depends on how you present yourself. Karen and I had a join client a few years ago who had 6 takes and reached out to us because he had poor results despite a score in the 170's. We read his previous applications and it was immediately obvious why. He came across as too obsessive in the applications. So we helped fixed that and he is at his dream top 6 school now.

So do likewise :) (if anyone can name the movie quote I'll answer their next question)

Glengarry Glenn Ross?

Nice! I didn;t add the word "gents" so that it was less google-able. Either way, you win a question answered!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Well done man!

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 am

Is the consensus that applying in December or January is OK?

TexasENG

Postby TexasENG » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReadyToStart

Postby ReadyToStart » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:54 pm

How late is too late to send in Why X essays? I applied to a few schools such as UVA, and Michigan who seem to take the supplemental essays seriously. I've been complete for over a month now at both, and am definitely under review at UVA. Can I still send in the essays now, or is it too late?

nimbus cloud

Postby nimbus cloud » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Last edited by nimbus cloud on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Spivey,

I know it's too early to tell, but since Dec scores are out, do you think this will be a cycle with an abnormally low number of 99% percentile+ applicants? Or do you think the Dec scores will balance it out eventually?

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 pm

galeatus wrote:Hi Spivey,

I know it's too early to tell, but since Dec scores are out, do you think this will be a cycle with an abnormally low number of 99% percentile+ applicants? Or do you think the Dec scores will balance it out eventually?

also, any idea when you'll get updated cycle data?

dan9257

Postby dan9257 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:47 am

Hi Spivey,

I've taken the LSAT twice and am retaking in June. But I'm still applying to a few schools this cycle.
Let's say I get accepted and commit attendance to School A (sticker $) and receive a higher LSAT score in the end of July. If I withdraw from School A in July and reapply to that school in September (so that I can get some scholarship $), would they look at my app in a negative way?

Also, with 3.8 GPA, 164, and 2-3 years of work experience, which schools in T14 do I have even a slightest chance? I'm considering Cornell, Georgetown, and Northwestern. Are Michigan and UVA out of reach?

Thank you so much :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:23 am

proteinshake wrote:
galeatus wrote:Hi Spivey,

also, any idea when you'll get updated cycle data?

My best guess is within 10-14 days tops, maybe sooner.

Please everyone bear with us on this thread as I have been on the phone straight for the last 12 hours. Yes feb LSAT scores count for almost all schools, June for most!

SouthCalLaw2016

Postby SouthCalLaw2016 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 am

Hi Spivey,

If you have the time, I had a question in regards to applications in general. Just wondering if you are exactly at or very close to last years 25th GPA percentile and 75th LSAT percentile for a school how likely are you to be admitted. Is it closer to a lock or 50/50? Since USNews only takes medians in account for rankings are the past year's percentiles pretty arbitrary when it comes to admissions? Thanks for all your responses, this thread is really helpful!

raidr

Postby raidr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:49 am

If I sign up to retake the LSAT in February but my application is already submitted, will law schools even know that I've signed up to retake if I don't tell them explicitly?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:09 pm

raidr wrote:If I sign up to retake the LSAT in February but my application is already submitted, will law schools even know that I've signed up to retake if I don't tell them explicitly?

So long as they run a very simple report they will know. If you want your file held until your Feb score comes out I would tell them via email though, just in case.

Anon.y.mousse.

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
raidr wrote:If I sign up to retake the LSAT in February but my application is already submitted, will law schools even know that I've signed up to retake if I don't tell them explicitly?

So long as they run a very simple report they will know. If you want your file held until your Feb score comes out I would tell them via email though, just in case.

Should we email them if we don't want them to hold our file, or is the default for them to move ahead if the file is complete and there hasn't been a request to hold?

studyingeveryday

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 pm

How much would visiting a school affect whether we can get off a waitlist (particularly if we visited from a long distance)? Thank you!

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Mike, if you could qualm my fears as I am super confused, pissed as well. I just got an email from the school saying:

"Thank you for participating in our interview process for Georgetown University Law Center. Although the record you present is a strong one, the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.''

So, that's a wait list? I am way above their 75th for LSAT, and have the median GPA. I even had a GREAT interview, went on for an hour, and they said I would make a great fit. Im absolutely livid. Someone please help me. Im freaking the fuck out.

Is this YP? please forgive the hostility, but i am just in awe of the situation. If it'sa YP situation, I can live that, but I really am lost. Plez halp

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:23 am

studyingeveryday wrote:How much would visiting a school affect whether we can get off a waitlist (particularly if we visited from a long distance)? Thank you!

it's a big deal -- i'd visit for sure if you can!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:26 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:Mike, if you could qualm my fears as I am super confused, pissed as well. I just got an email from the school saying:

"Thank you for participating in our interview process for Georgetown University Law Center. Although the record you present is a strong one, the Committee on Admissions has chosen to postpone your final decision.''

So, that's a wait list? I am way above their 75th for LSAT, and have the median GPA. I even had a GREAT interview, went on for an hour, and they said I would make a great fit. Im absolutely livid. Someone please help me. Im freaking the fuck out.

Is this YP? please forgive the hostility, but i am just in awe of the situation. If it'sa YP situation, I can live that, but I really am lost. Plez halp

Well, there is good news and possibly bad news. I'm happy to share my take but only if you promise not to flip out at ME. You seem a bit distraught (which is understandable although I am concerned that you would do so in a public platform GULC could likely easily figure out who you are based on your message) now and perhaps what I will say will be translated to shooting the interpreter.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”