Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which type of advice would you most like to see from the Spivey Consulting partners?

Webinar
11%
Podcast
32%
Reddit AMA
57%

Total votes: 44

danielleearly

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Postby danielleearly » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:37 pm

bearedman8 wrote:What font/font size and spacing (double spaced, single but doubles between paragraphs, etc.) would you all recommend for personal statements?

If a school doesn't give you guidelines, then I would default to 1 inch margins, double spaced and a minimum 11pt font. Doublecheck each school's instructions though.

freekick

Postby freekick » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:03 am

danielleearly wrote:
freekick wrote:Thank you for the extremely helpful thread.

Would be really if I could have the following addressed:
For reapplicants, do law schools look at the previous application while evaluating the second?
Other than a new LSAT score, resume and PS, is it safe to recycle everything else (LoRs, optional essays, addendum)?.

Thanks a lot again.

Most schools do have your previous application to review to see what has changed between your former application and this new one. Some of this changes will be your lsat or work experience (as well as their own applicant pool). But, I encourage you to provide a new PS as well as anything else you write - new optional essays etc. For LORs, if there is someone who can add something new (a new employer, for example) then you may want to update that as well.

Schools like to see that you have made an effort with the new application so you don't want to make it appear too "recycled" and you may be able to show a matured perspective with your updated essays.

This is really helpful to know. Thank you!

laqueredup

Postby laqueredup » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:23 am

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Major thanks for the thread.

Is it worth updating schools that have admitted you about a new job? I'm wondering whether it could be a small boost for their scholarship offers.

somedeadman

Postby somedeadman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:21 pm

If I register for the Feb. LSAT, will schools delay making a decision on my application until they see the score?

genjustice

Postby genjustice » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm

If your applications are under review and LSAC sends out an updated CAS report for a new transcript/GPA, do you think it is worth contacting the admissions offices separately? I know that schools are updated automatically, but I'm concerned that the admissions officer/committee won't be made aware of the update if my file has already been queued for review or has already been reviewed.

Thanks and happy holidays! :D

Keilz

Postby Keilz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:52 pm

freekick wrote:
danielleearly wrote:

For reapplicants, do law schools look at the previous application while evaluating the second?
Other than a new LSAT score, resume and PS, is it safe to recycle everything else (LoRs, optional essays, addendum)?.

Thanks a lot again.

Most schools do have your previous application to review to see what has changed between your former application and this new one. Some of this changes will be your lsat or work experience (as well as their own applicant pool). But, I encourage you to provide a new PS as well as anything else you write - new optional essays etc. For LORs, if there is someone who can add something new (a new employer, for example) then you may want to update that as well.

Schools like to see that you have made an effort with the new application so you don't want to make it appear too "recycled" and you may be able to show a matured perspective with your updated essays.

my PS starts off with the same scenario as my one from last year, and sounds similar, but then transcends into an entirely different essay. They wouldn't stop reading and assume it's the same, right?

RPlatt85

Postby RPlatt85 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:09 am

Hi Mike,

Question about international transcript ratings. My transcript was rated as above average, but in my home country is considered significantly better than that. Is it worth me attaching any addendum, not arguing the rating of course, but digging into a little detail on how many of my grades were outstanding, and it was only two courses that changed the rating from superior to above average? I'm worried about arguing over grades, but their evaluation annoys me because it is completely incorrect.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:02 am

laqueredup wrote:
danielleearly wrote:
bearedman8 wrote:What font/font size and spacing (double spaced, single but doubles between paragraphs, etc.) would you all recommend for personal statements?

If a school doesn't give you guidelines, then I would default to 1 inch margins, double spaced and a minimum 11pt font. Doublecheck each school's instructions though.

Cough cough Ucla and having to do a whole new setup in 12 point font

Protip they don't care.

Source - i thought about redoing it in 12 point, said fuck it - submitted in 11 - they let me in

lawschoolapplicant00

Postby lawschoolapplicant00 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:35 am

Hello Mr. Spivey and associates,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I currently have a LSAT score, which is in the high 160s. I am considering whether I should retake in February 2017 for the current cycle. My questions are: if I submit my application to a school in the following days, will the schools know my February registration from LSAC or any other sources? If so, during the period from the school receiving my application to it receiving my February score, will the February registration in any way hurt my admissions prospects (e.g. the school holding off reviewing my application until the February score release, the school suspecting that I am trying to go to higher-ranked schools)? And finally, after the February test score release, if I get a lower score (or choose to cancel the test score), will that hurt my admissions chances?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:13 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Major thanks for the thread.

Is it worth updating schools that have admitted you about a new job? I'm wondering whether it could be a small boost for their scholarship offers.

Not sure how much it will help with scholarship, but sending in an updated resume is a good idea!
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 am

genjustice wrote:If your applications are under review and LSAC sends out an updated CAS report for a new transcript/GPA, do you think it is worth contacting the admissions offices separately? I know that schools are updated automatically, but I'm concerned that the admissions officer/committee won't be made aware of the update if my file has already been queued for review or has already been reviewed.

Thanks and happy holidays! :D

Most schools are reading files electronically using a database that is very much connected to LSAC, so if it hasn't been reviewed, then it is highly likely that it will be read with your file. If your file has already been reviewed, it is unlikely that they will see it. Send the school a quick email and let them know that the updated transcript is on the way.

KB

latif

Postby latif » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi, I took the December 2016 LSAT and I'm currently waiting for my score, my applications are pretty much ready but I havent submitted them, Instead I'm just proofreading and making sure that my PS and other materials are solid. I was thinking of submitting on January 3rd, the day before LSAT scores are released because schools won't even look at your file without it. Am I right, or should I just upload them now?

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:53 pm

somedeadman wrote:If I register for the Feb. LSAT, will schools delay making a decision on my application until they see the score?

It frankly depends on the school, some will hold till they see the new score, others will review you now and make a decision or choose to hold you for the new score, and others will not hold up their review at all. A lot of schools will give you an indication on their application instructions.

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Keilz wrote:
freekick wrote:
danielleearly wrote:

Thanks a lot again.

my PS starts off with the same scenario as my one from last year, and sounds similar, but then transcends into an entirely different essay. They wouldn't stop reading and assume it's the same, right?

When I read a re-applicant, I would read this year's app and flip over to last years to see the changes. As long as the first bit isn't the exact same word for word, I would not assume it's the same.

Keilz

Postby Keilz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:38 pm

danielleearly wrote:
Keilz wrote:
freekick wrote:
danielleearly wrote:

Thanks a lot again.

When I read a re-applicant, I would read this year's app and flip over to last years to see the changes. As long as the first bit isn't the exact same word for word, I would not assume it's the same.

Okay thank you!

christinaxcarrie

Postby christinaxcarrie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:24 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
vcap180 wrote:Spivey you're a legend.

Here is my question: I've heard you speak about "reverse cycles" -- cycles during which it may actually be beneficial to apply somewhat later; do you think this could be one of them? Applicants are down and it look like the last two LSATs were pretty brutal...

No, I don't think it will likely be one. It's just going to be a slower cycle. "Counter cycles" usually occur a year after a really strong cycle and then a bad early cycle, which aren't exactly the conditions here. But it is certainly possible, since the LSAT groupings last year were so plus. Will be interesting to see! Also that is a pretty astute observation.

This law school process seems like a Chess game...and I HATE chess lol

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:45 pm

latif wrote:Hi, I took the December 2016 LSAT and I'm currently waiting for my score, my applications are pretty much ready but I havent submitted them, Instead I'm just proofreading and making sure that my PS and other materials are solid. I was thinking of submitting on January 3rd, the day before LSAT scores are released because schools won't even look at your file without it. Am I right, or should I just upload them now?

That is correct, schools will not review your file without an LSAT score. So if they are ready to go, might as well submit them now.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Last edited by appind on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Appind, didn't one of us answer this for you already here or over on reddit?

appind

Postby appind » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:52 pm

not really, i didn't post my profile on this thread or reddit before.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:46 pm

appind wrote:not really, i didn't post my profile on this thread or reddit before.

Okay, well the short of it is it depends on how you present yourself. Karen and I had a join client a few years ago who had 6 takes and reached out to us because he had poor results despite a score in the 170's. We read his previous applications and it was immediately obvious why. He came across as too obsessive in the applications. So we helped fixed that and he is at his dream top 6 school now.

So do likewise :) (if anyone can name the movie quote I'll answer their next question)

narfkarta

Postby narfkarta » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:59 pm

What do you think of this?

https://lawsalaries.blogspot.com/

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Last edited by proteinshake on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Protein, I wouldn't sweat it.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”