Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Jrr13

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with a growing number of former Adcoms

Postby Jrr13 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:35 pm

taxman14 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Do you guys have any idea what's going on with Columbia's lack of fee waivers? It's the only school I know of who hasn't sent any out yet (as far as I can tell). Is it possible they're not doing them this year?

Second this ^ I've seen that some people on LSN have them, but not sure why I didn't receive them especially given my numbers.

You're a real charmer, aren't you? A real treat.

...if you're above 75th percentiles for GPA/LSAT it's pretty reasonable to expect you'd get a fee waiver. Not sure why you're so hurt :roll:

I have a fee waiver for this cycle. But it's likely because I applied last cycle

MAPP

Postby MAPP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Can law schools see if you are registered for the December administration of the lsat? I might want to apply to some schools with my September score (once I get it) but also retake in December, but I feel like they would potentially waitlist me or look at my app disfavorably if they knew I was scheduled for a retake

Also, if no page limit is specified, is it safe to assume that it would be ok to submit a personal statement and resume that are three pages long?

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 am

This thread is like a boarding school kid waiting in front of the school for his parents on the first off-week.

Thanks for all your hard work answering our questions!

StopLawying

Postby StopLawying » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi,
Been getting a bunch of fee waivers in recent days from good schools. Was wondering, do they see get our scores before we do? I know everyone says no, but can't help thinking about this. Thanks!

studyingeveryday

Postby studyingeveryday » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:55 am

Hi! If a school says the length of our personal statement is up to us, should it still be 2 pages or do you think it's okay if it's 3 (double spaced) pages?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:33 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Hi! If a school says the length of our personal statement is up to us, should it still be 2 pages or do you think it's okay if it's 3 (double spaced) pages?

Impossible to say without seeing it (please dear goodness don't PM me it lol), but keep in mind admissions officers are reading, at times, 60 - 100 applications a weekend. So 120 - 200 pages of a PS over a two day time period. So, in a vacuum I like concision.

MARIALE

need an advice on whether to take the lsat or go for a ma in english first

Postby MARIALE » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm new in this forum.
I'm very confused about taking a MA in english. The only reason why I would be interest in taking my masters in english is to help my writing skills, communication, public speaking, and everything that would help me in law school. I know I want to go to law school, I know I want to be an attorney. However, English is my second language. Although, I completed my bachelor's degrees in the U.S. (Pol. Sci & Bus. Adm. ), I feel like I still need to work in my writing and communication skills. I have never taken the LSAT test, I have taken the Kaplan LSAT class, which it was difficult for me to keep up.
In my junior year in college, I started as an intern for a state senator and Assemblyman office, as a legislative aid. At the end of my internship, I got hired full-time. After graduation, I started working for the Assemblyman's law firm, which is a real estate firm. I'm still working there, I do closing books and I help other attorneys with other matters. They all encourage me to take the LSAT and leave my fears behind. My family has been on my back for me to take this LSAT. My sister is a Doctor, english is her second language too. However, she went to med. school in our country, she was already a doctor when she moved here. She is very different than me, she is a fighter and never gives up. She took the requirement exams to revalidate her title in the U.S. I believe there were 4 exams total, 8 hours each. she studied day and night for 8 months, and she passed them all. She is now the director of her department, works full time in a very prestigious hospital and bought a dream house, which is a big accomplishment for her and our family. However, I do believe that her career and law are two totally different fields. Doctors do not need to be perfect writers, or have the best communication skills, or big researchers. Whereas, attorneys do. She doesn't want me to do my masters. she thinks that is a total waste of time, that I should just study hard for the LSAT and just battle whatever comes my way in law school.
What do you think?
thank you!

guybourdin

Re: need an advice on whether to take the lsat or go for a ma in english first

Postby guybourdin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:31 am

MARIALE wrote:I'm new in this forum.
I'm very confused about taking a MA in english. The only reason why I would be interest in taking my masters in english is to help my writing skills, communication, public speaking, and everything that would help me in law school. I know I want to go to law school, I know I want to be an attorney. However, English is my second language. Although, I completed my bachelor's degrees in the U.S. (Pol. Sci & Bus. Adm. ), I feel like I still need to work in my writing and communication skills. I have never taken the LSAT test, I have taken the Kaplan LSAT class, which it was difficult for me to keep up.
In my junior year in college, I started as an intern for a state senator and Assemblyman office, as a legislative aid. At the end of my internship, I got hired full-time. After graduation, I started working for the Assemblyman's law firm, which is a real estate firm. I'm still working there, I do closing books and I help other attorneys with other matters. They all encourage me to take the LSAT and leave my fears behind. My family has been on my back for me to take this LSAT. My sister is a Doctor, english is her second language too. However, she went to med. school in our country, she was already a doctor when she moved here. She is very different than me, she is a fighter and never gives up. She took the requirement exams to revalidate her title in the U.S. I believe there were 4 exams total, 8 hours each. she studied day and night for 8 months, and she passed them all. She is now the director of her department, works full time in a very prestigious hospital and bought a dream house, which is a big accomplishment for her and our family. However, I do believe that her career and law are two totally different fields. Doctors do not need to be perfect writers, or have the best communication skills, or big researchers. Whereas, attorneys do. She doesn't want me to do my masters. she thinks that is a total waste of time, that I should just study hard for the LSAT and just battle whatever comes my way in law school.
What do you think?
thank you!

This might be a dumb question: why wouldn't you get a BA in English (or philosophy, art history, film studies, etc)? Things like writing skills are going to be improved by doing them at any level. If something as basic as your writing and communication are what is at issue, then trying to get an advanced degree in a field you have no degree in doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Also, wouldn't even need to be a BA - a year or two of classes, maybe? Just wondering!

generallennon

How bad is my laundry list?

Postby generallennon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Hello,

I want to know how bad a hypothetical applicant with this list of Character and Fitness flaws is:

Disorderly Conduct/Minor in Possession of Alcohol
DUI 1st Offense (no injuries or damages to property)
A withdrawal from a semester due to drug addiction

Otherwise I have a a good GPA and LSAT. If I am above the median for a law school and have good statements and recommendations, will these flaws be overlooked? Or should I consider going into business?

Thanks

MARIALE

Re: How bad is my laundry list?

Postby MARIALE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:19 pm

generallennon wrote:Hello,

I want to know how bad a hypothetical applicant with this list of Character and Fitness flaws is:

Otherwise I have a a good GPA and LSAT. If I am above the median for a law school and have good statements and recommendations, will these flaws be overlooked? Or should I consider going into business?

Thanks

Ultimately what weights the most is your LSAT score and GPA. No one is perfect, everyone has a past. If going to law school is what you really want, nothing should stop you.

MAPP

Postby MAPP » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:05 pm

MAPP wrote:Can law schools see if you are registered for the December administration of the lsat? I might want to apply to some schools with my September score (once I get it) but also retake in December, but I feel like they would potentially waitlist me or look at my app disfavorably if they knew I was scheduled for a retake

bumping

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Apologies for the delay in responding - we will get you some answers soon!
If anyone is interested, I will be doing a webinar with Michigan State tonight on how to craft a personal statement (and some other topics). You can listen to me blather about personal statements and ask questions!
Registration can be found here: https://www.law.msu.edu/admissions/webi ... binar.html

KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

MAPP wrote:
MAPP wrote:Can law schools see if you are registered for the December administration of the lsat? I might want to apply to some schools with my September score (once I get it) but also retake in December, but I feel like they would potentially waitlist me or look at my app disfavorably if they knew I was scheduled for a retake

bumping

Schools do have the ability to see this information, but they have to actively look for it. And some schools do -- and will wait to make a decision until they see the score. I do not think that it would result in a WL but rather they just hold the decision until the December test results. And the school would likely contact you to let you know that they are waiting to make the decision.

KarenButtenbaum

Re: How bad is my laundry list?

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:32 pm

generallennon wrote:Hello,

Thanks

What matters is how you present this information. They will be looking to see if these are "youthful indiscretions" or if they indicate a pattern of behavior. It will also matter how long ago these incidents happened (timing plays a role and distance is better than recent events). Don't give up on law school, but take care when writing the explanation of these events.

KB

danielleearly

Re: need an advice on whether to take the lsat or go for a ma in english first

Postby danielleearly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:29 pm

MARIALE wrote:I'm new in this forum.
What do you think?
thank you!

Hi Mariale,

Writing skills are important in the legal field. Additionally, your listening and reading comprehension skills will also play a large part in your success, both in law school and in your legal career. You may want to begin studying for the LSAT and taking practice tests to gauge for yourself (rather than listening to everyone around you) if your language skills are strong enough right now or not. If you feel that your English language skills need improvement before law school then I would encourage you to find opportunities to work on them - however whether or not a Masters in English is the way to go is not something we can advise you on not knowing your current skill level or the program you would be looking into.

~Danielle

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:32 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Do you guys have any idea what's going on with Columbia's lack of fee waivers? It's the only school I know of who hasn't sent any out yet (as far as I can tell). Is it possible they're not doing them this year?

danielleearly

Postby danielleearly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:33 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:The application asks if I ever attended law school. Part of my Masters was at a law school with actual law students and students from my grad school. I wrote on my resume that some classes were at a law schoo. My transcripts don't treat it as a law school class. Do I answer yes or no?

Generally treat this as if they are asking "Have you ever been enrolled in a law school" unless they specifically say "have you taken classes in a law school". Enrolled could mean for an LLM, JD or certificate program though.

~Danielle

bloomsday

Postby bloomsday » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Hopefully a quick question here:

One of the pieces of TLS-wisdom I've seen again and again is that having publications is one of the "best" softs you* can expect to have. Like, equivalent in stature to a good job, elite undergrad, etc.

Does this have any truth to it at all? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me as
a) publications among science majors are not that uncommon and certainly not necessarily a signaling mechanism for exceptionalism (more like a signaling mechanism that you were in a good lab/got handed a good project/had a supportive PI), and
b) publications don't seem to reveal anything that "matters" in law school, at least any more so that everything else in your application already. You can write well? But scientific papers aren't "well-written" per se, and you have the personal statement. You can conduct research? Most applicants would have had to do a senior thesis. You're capable of carrying out independent work? Seems like work experience would be more revealing.
All "I have a publication" seems to say to me is "I was a science major and was decent at it," which of course you'd get from your transcript anyway.

Any thoughts? This puzzles me every time I see someone here write about softs, so I'd be happy to hear any insight you might have.

*a non-Rhodes scholar, non-Olympian, otherwise normal etc person

theboringest

Postby theboringest » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:03 am

Hi Mike,

On behalf of all us September takers wondering how valuable our scores are, any idea when we'll find out about September taker #'s? Thanks!

Rubbishdump

Postby Rubbishdump » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Likelihood of admission to Vanderbilt with a 3.8/165?

studyingeveryday

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi! Quick question if anyone can answer this weekend, I'll be calling LSAC to confirm on Monday but have to wait until then.

i took the LSAT October 2015, December 2015, and September 2016, and I'm thinking about taking it a fourth and final time.

LSAC'S policy is three times in two years: does that mean three times in 2015 and 2016, which means I'm okay to take it in February? Or does it mean three times in exactly two years, which means I wouldn't be able to take it again until December 2017?

masterz

Postby masterz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:20 am

studyingeveryday wrote:Hi! Quick question if anyone can answer this weekend, I'll be calling LSAC to confirm on Monday but have to wait until then.

i took the LSAT October 2015, December 2015, and September 2016, and I'm thinking about taking it a fourth and final time.

LSAC'S policy is three times in two years: does that mean three times in 2015 and 2016, which means I'm okay to take it in February? Or does it mean three times in exactly two years, which means I wouldn't be able to take it again until December 2017?

5-time taker here. It should be 2 years from your first take, which means you'll be able to retake it September/October 2017.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Mike,

Does a fee waiver from a school to which your LSAT is under 25th (but at 75th GPA-wise) mean that they want you? Or do they give waiver so they can reject you?

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Mike,

How much does "running up the score" above a school's 75th matter? Like, if you're 1 point above their 75th, or 10 points above their 75ths, are you any more likely to get a scholarship?

haus

Postby haus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:44 pm

SweetTort wrote:Mike,

How much does "running up the score" above a school's 75th matter? Like, if you're 1 point above their 75th, or 10 points above their 75ths, are you any more likely to get a scholarship?

One thing I think is worth mentioning is that last years numbers are just that, last years numbers. When applying you are in competition with this years candidates, which may be better or worse than last years. Unless you have inside information, you would not know if your one point above or bellow a given indicator is actually what you think it is.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”