Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

LikelyThrowaway

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with a growing number of former Adcoms

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:24 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Hey, thank you for taking questions today. Mine is: In regard to the T-14 and some select T-1 schools, how can a white, male, Poli Sci, K-JD student differentiate himself from other applicants (other than the obvious answer: highest LSAT score) ?

Do cool things and be good at those things.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:56 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Hey, thank you for taking questions today. Mine is: In regard to the T-14 and some select T-1 schools, how can a white, male, Poli Sci, K-JD student differentiate himself from other applicants (other than the obvious answer: highest LSAT score) ?

hmm
Last edited by roranoa on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:36 pm

It's probably best to let Spivey et al. answer questions in the thread dedicated to them answering questions.

lula43

Postby lula43 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Good afternoon!

I have a resume question. What level of specificity is appropriate on our resumes? I have been involved in various programs that adcoms may not recognize on its face. I see value in the descriptions that are currently listed. However, these details do add length to the document (it is a little less than 2 pages as it stands). Is it appropriate to have a few bullet points under certain list items? Thanks.

zwaterman

Postby zwaterman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Does Spivey have a prediction about what number of errors will yield a 175?

Law2020hopeful

Postby Law2020hopeful » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:53 am

zwaterman wrote:Does Spivey have a prediction about what number of errors will yield a 175?

For the June 2010 test, 175 was 94/102 (-8). I would say that it hasn't changed all that much since then (most likely). Generally, any of the PTs you take will have a conversion chart for scoring purposes so if you look at any of those you'll be able to see how many errors a score of 175 will allow for. Maybe Spivey can give a better answer though!

guybourdin

Postby guybourdin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:28 am

Law2020hopeful wrote:
zwaterman wrote:Does Spivey have a prediction about what number of errors will yield a 175?

For the June 2010 test, 175 was 94/102 (-8). I would say that it hasn't changed all that much since then (most likely). Generally, any of the PTs you take will have a conversion chart for scoring purposes so if you look at any of those you'll be able to see how many errors a score of 175 will allow for. Maybe Spivey can give a better answer though!

it changes every test. -6 is average with an SD or 1. https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/co ... rgeted.cfm

zwaterman

Postby zwaterman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:41 am

I apologize. My question was woefully nonspecific. I meant for September 2016's test. Given their prediction of -13 for 170, -8 or -7 seems likely for 175 based off past tests. I'm wondering if they have a bet between those two numbers.

Law2020hopeful

Postby Law2020hopeful » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:30 pm

zwaterman wrote:I apologize. My question was woefully nonspecific. I meant for September 2016's test. Given their prediction of -13 for 170, -8 or -7 seems likely for 175 based off past tests. I'm wondering if they have a bet between those two numbers.

Ah, my apologies for misunderstanding your question! Good luck with getting your score back!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:20 am

Hi everyone -- we are going to be pretty slow in responding to these apologies in advance. Predictably, it's been busy as it ever get these past few weeks -- it's 5:20am and I have been working for the past hour. So hang in there and we'll try to answer more questions when we get a chance!

Mike

theboringest

Postby theboringest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:37 am

Hi Mike,

I'm just wondering if the (small) drop in June takers has any impact on your projections for this years cycle?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:50 am

theboringest wrote:Hi Mike,

I'm just wondering if the (small) drop in June takers has any impact on your projections for this years cycle?

Not at all, and there should be an equalizing or more bounce from Sept.

theboringest

Postby theboringest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:57 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
theboringest wrote:Hi Mike,

Not at all, and there should be an equalizing or more bounce from Sept.

Darn, was hoping it was a sign that we might see another dip...oh well, things holding steady is ok. Thanks!

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:49 am

lula43 wrote:Good afternoon!

I have a resume question. What level of specificity is appropriate on our resumes? I have been involved in various programs that adcoms may not recognize on its face. I see value in the descriptions that are currently listed. However, these details do add length to the document (it is a little less than 2 pages as it stands). Is it appropriate to have a few bullet points under certain list items? Thanks.

Brief descriptions are definitely helpful if the programs are not recognizable on their face, but I advise keeping the resume to 2 pages, so if adding them will take it to 3 pages, leave the descriptions off.

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:

One of the best ways to differentiate yourself is to get work experience. I am a huge advocate of students going and working for a few years before going to law school. It will make you a more competitive law school applicant and a more competitive job applicant once you are in law school applying for summer associate positions. That being said, if you are going to apply to law school straight from undergrad, then I still recommend trying to highlight what professional/substantive experience you do have from summer internships or other jobs and incorporating into your application what is motivating you to apply to law school and what your career goals are. My K-JD clients who outperformed their numbers in the admission process presented themselves as mature professionals and clearly articulated via their personal statement or a supplemental essay their interests and professional goals.

MAPP

Postby MAPP » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Regarding resumes, I see you mention a 2 page limit, but from what I've seen in law school app directions there is no limit...

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:47 pm

MAPP wrote:Regarding resumes, I see you mention a 2 page limit, but from what I've seen in law school app directions there is no limit...

That is correct, most law schools do not impose a page limit on the resume. But yes, I advised that particular person to limit their resume to 2 pages if it was only going to carry over by a few lines. And I advise most applicants to do the same. But there are few absolute rules in law school admissions that are going to apply to every applicant. It is important that applicants use sound judgment when putting together their individual applications based on their circumstances/experiences. If an applicant has been out of college and in the workforce for more than 10 years, or has advanced degrees, multiple publications, etc., a resume that is more than 2 pages might make sense. But rarely would someone applying directly from college or a few years out need to have a resume that is longer than 2 pages. Again, you have to consider what is reasonable/makes sense based on your circumstances/experience (and within any parameters set forth by the school, of course).

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Do you guys have any idea what's going on with Columbia's lack of fee waivers? It's the only school I know of who hasn't sent any out yet (as far as I can tell). Is it possible they're not doing them this year?

taxman14

Postby taxman14 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:33 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Do you guys have any idea what's going on with Columbia's lack of fee waivers? It's the only school I know of who hasn't sent any out yet (as far as I can tell). Is it possible they're not doing them this year?

Second this ^ I've seen that some people on LSN have them, but not sure why I didn't receive them especially given my numbers.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:19 pm

taxman14 wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Do you guys have any idea what's going on with Columbia's lack of fee waivers? It's the only school I know of who hasn't sent any out yet (as far as I can tell). Is it possible they're not doing them this year?

Second this ^ I've seen that some people on LSN have them, but not sure why I didn't receive them especially given my numbers.

You're a real charmer, aren't you? A real treat.

taxman14

Postby taxman14 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:57 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

You're a real charmer, aren't you? A real treat.

...if you're above 75th percentiles for GPA/LSAT it's pretty reasonable to expect you'd get a fee waiver. Not sure why you're so hurt :roll:

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 am

The application asks if I ever attended law school. Part of my Masters was at a law school with actual law students and students from my grad school. I wrote on my resume that some classes were at a law schoo. My transcripts don't treat it as a law school class. Do I answer yes or no?

JT90DC

Postby JT90DC » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Here's my question: How will a gap in professional work experience in a resume be viewed, especially if the applicant's narrative emphasizes work experience but is unemployed at the time of submission?

Here's my story: I' have almost 5 years of work experience in management consulting, where I've been successful, been promoted several times, but also work 70+ hour weeks and travel 80%+ of the time. I am thinking of quitting my job next year just to focus on the LSAT and applying in the fall. I am just finding I have literally no hours in a day to study and concerned about how I'll get my act together in the next year to pursue law school, which has always been a dream of mine. My initial LSAT diagnostic is very encouraging, but I know I can improve very much with time to study.

How will that be viewed? Can I explain in an addendum that I needed to leave work to be able to find any time to study for the LSAT and assemble applications? I know I have more substantive work experience than most, and I want to practice law in the sector where I work now, but I fear that narrative will be undermined by applying while I'm not working. Can I partially rebut that by volunteering during this time, or dropping down to part-time work?

dadownclub8

Postby dadownclub8 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Question: I am hoping to take my LSAT in December however is it worth it to postpone and take the February LSAT and submit my applications accordingly even if it is a one point increase? Or would you need to know my numbers to better project? Receiving scholarship/aid/etc is something of higher priority on my wish list if possible. Thank you.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:27 am

dadownclub8 wrote:Question: I am hoping to take my LSAT in December however is it worth it to postpone and take the February LSAT and submit my applications accordingly even if it is a one point increase? Or would you need to know my numbers to better project? Receiving scholarship/aid/etc is something of higher priority on my wish list if possible. Thank you.

These questions get almost too specific. I guess if you could guarantee you would get exactly one point higher in February than in December, than for some schools better but for many worse because they would be near full and also out of money. But mostly, impossible to say.

Additionally, you can't guarantee that. If it isn't your third and final take I'd def. shoot for Dec.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”