Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with a growing number of former Adcoms

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 am

Who wants a sneak peek at our new website? It isn't entirely done, indeed we are adding a new employee Oct 4th and maybe a second new employee. Neither of whom are on here. And we need to make some minor edits....BUT...you folks are the first to see it!

http://spivey-dev.netlify.com/

Comments, questions and criticisms are most welcome. Thanks!

haus

Postby haus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:39 pm

The new page looks nice.

I am not a UI person, but reviewing in Safari on a iPhone 6s running iOS 10 most everything seems smooth and works like expected.

One seemingly odd exception. While looking at page in landscape mode while scrolled fully to the top of the page, the menu button in the upper right appears to be non-responsive. Change over to portrait mode it works fine, or even scroll down so that you are not all the way at the top of the page and it works in landscape as well. Not a showstopper, but it is odd.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:17 am

How much do you think your chances drop if you wait until you get your Dec LSAT score?

I have a score currently but not satisfied with it and thinking of taking the Dec one last time. I had to skip the Sept. test due to personal scheduling.

Any insight on this would be great help.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 am

roranoa wrote:How much do you think your chances drop if you wait until you get your Dec LSAT score?

I have a score currently but not satisfied with it and thinking of taking the Dec one last time. I had to skip the Sept. test due to personal scheduling.

Well, if it is your last test, your chances likely go up more with even a +1 on the LSAT more than taking earlier. So for people with only one more take, this is the group that wants to make sure they can score as high as possible.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:25 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
roranoa wrote:How much do you think your chances drop if you wait until you get your Dec LSAT score?

Well, if it is your last test, your chances likely go up more with even a +1 on the LSAT more than taking earlier. So for people with only one more take, this is the group that wants to make sure they can score as high as possible.

Agree with Mike -- A higher LSAT on the December test adds more value to your application than an earlier application. Also, the December test does not mean your application is late --it's simply on time.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:05 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Actually this Dec test (if I take it) would be my third take. Also if it matters, my first and second score are from a couple of years ago. Also my second score dropped 2 points from a high 160s. So then maybe having factored that in, taking the test a third time in Dec is not such a good idea? What's your take on triple scores?

Foniks

Character and Fitness Question

Postby Foniks » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:06 am

I've enjoyed following this thread for some time now. Since starting to put my applications together, I'm reading more about character and fitness topics, and I'm a little concerned about a C&F issue of mine and how it may impact my cycle. Originally, I assumed it didn't need to be disclosed, but after reading a bit more, and learning that it'll need to be disclosed when I take the bar, I think it's probably safer to write an addendum.

In 2006, after graduating college, I moved back to my parents home for a few months during the summer. While riding in a high school friend's vehicle, we were pulled over and there were drugs present. Everyone in the vehicle (total 3) was arrested on felony charges. The driver claimed ownership of everything, all charges were dropped shortly after, and everything was expunged. I believe the police had planned to arrest this guy for some time, and I happened to be "catching up with old friends" when it happened.

Additional information: I joined the military in 2007 and I've worked as an intelligence officer since this time. Since I was never convicted, and all charges were dropped, I required no waivers to enter the military. Additionally, I've held a high level security clearance since joining, which has been investigated on two separate occasions (reinvestigated every 5-7 years). No traffic tickets. No other arrests... Really just a luck of the draw thing and bad timing on one event.

Am I right in assuming this should be disclosed? And more importantly, what are the chances that this will hurt my cycle? It's a pretty embarrassing event that I've only ever had to bring up during security clearance interviews, and I've tried to forget in all other occasions...

MikeSpivey

Re: Character and Fitness Question

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:00 am

Foniks wrote:I've enjoyed following this thread for some time now. Since starting to put my applications together, I'm reading more about character and fitness topics, and I'm a little concerned about a C&F issue of mine and how it may impact my cycle. Originally, I assumed it didn't need to be disclosed, but after reading a bit more, and learning that it'll need to be disclosed when I take the bar, I think it's probably safer to write an addendum.

In 2006, after graduating college, I moved back to my parents home for a few months during the summer. While riding in a high school friend's vehicle, we were pulled over and there were drugs present. Everyone in the vehicle (total 3) was arrested on felony charges. The driver claimed ownership of everything, all charges were dropped shortly after, and everything was expunged. I believe the police had planned to arrest this guy for some time, and I happened to be "catching up with old friends" when it happened.

Additional information: I joined the military in 2007 and I've worked as an intelligence officer since this time. Since I was never convicted, and all charges were dropped, I required no waivers to enter the military. Additionally, I've held a high level security clearance since joining, which has been investigated on two separate occasions (reinvestigated every 5-7 years). No traffic tickets. No other arrests... Really just a luck of the draw thing and bad timing on one event.

Am I right in assuming this should be disclosed? And more importantly, what are the chances that this will hurt my cycle? It's a pretty embarrassing event that I've only ever had to bring up during security clearance interviews, and I've tried to forget in all other occasions...

We can't give specific advice for things like this for both legal reasons, and out of respect for our clients, but I would say yes, for some schools (depending on the state you are in) you will have to answer and I find it highly likely no one will think twice and simply turn the page. Turn the page being my theme for C&F statements anyway, be honest but concise, don't load up on unnecessary details.

here is some motivation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOibtqWo6z4

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 am

haus wrote:The new page looks nice.

I am not a UI person, but reviewing in Safari on a iPhone 6s running iOS 10 most everything seems smooth and works like expected.

One seemingly odd exception. While looking at page in landscape mode while scrolled fully to the top of the page, the menu button in the upper right appears to be non-responsive. Change over to portrait mode it works fine, or even scroll down so that you are not all the way at the top of the page and it works in landscape as well. Not a showstopper, but it is odd.

Thanks, Haus! As always, you the man!

Cbear2017

Postby Cbear2017 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:26 am

Hello everybody! I have a question regarding LSAT score cancellation. I took the LSAT in June and scored slightly lower than my practice tests (3 points or so), but well within the medians of a lot of schools I'm looking at. I then wanted to retake it (since the general consensus is every point matters). However, I got sick before the test, and while sitting for it had eally bad coughing fits throughout, but one for 4 minutes straight during LG. In light of this, I'm sure I didn't do as well. Would cancelling this score be looked at negatively? It would be my only cancellation, and I don't think I would retake.

Do I need to write an addendum/should I be concerned? Or do I let the first score stand?

Foniks

Re: Character and Fitness Question

Postby Foniks » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
We can't give specific advice for things like this for both legal reasons, and out of respect for our clients, but I would say yes, for some schools (depending on the state you are in) you will have to answer and I find it highly likely no one will think twice and simply turn the page. Turn the page being my theme for C&F statements anyway, be honest but concise, don't load up on unnecessary details.

here is some motivation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOibtqWo6z4

Right on. Thanks for the quick response and the feedback. At least this puts me at ease a bit.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:40 pm

What do you think about taking the test three times after a score drop on the second test? Would it be too risky and look bad?

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Cbear2017 wrote:Hello everybody! I have a question regarding LSAT score cancellation. I took the LSAT in June and scored slightly lower than my practice tests (3 points or so), but well within the medians of a lot of schools I'm looking at. I then wanted to retake it (since the general consensus is every point matters). However, I got sick before the test, and while sitting for it had eally bad coughing fits throughout, but one for 4 minutes straight during LG. In light of this, I'm sure I didn't do as well. Would cancelling this score be looked at negatively? It would be my only cancellation, and I don't think I would retake.

Do I need to write an addendum/should I be concerned? Or do I let the first score stand?

Nope, no need to be concerned or to write an addendum for one cancellation.

Cbear2017

Postby Cbear2017 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:43 am

DerekMeeker wrote:
Cbear2017 wrote:Hello everybody! I have a question regarding LSAT score cancellation. I took the LSAT in June and scored slightly lower than my practice tests (3 points or so), but well within the medians of a lot of schools I'm looking at. I then wanted to retake it (since the general consensus is every point matters). However, I got sick before the test, and while sitting for it had eally bad coughing fits throughout, but one for 4 minutes straight during LG. In light of this, I'm sure I didn't do as well. Would cancelling this score be looked at negatively? It would be my only cancellation, and I don't think I would retake.

Nope, no need to be concerned or to write an addendum for one cancellation.

Thanks so much!

MAPP

Postby MAPP » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:50 pm

Where should I include a "why x school" essay? I haven't really seen an appropriate place to attach it in any of my applications

pumpkinseed

Postby pumpkinseed » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:26 am

Hi!
Glad I found this thread.
PLEASE HELP.

Character & Fitness application for the bar due soon.
No arrests, no criminal history, nada... however, I am prescribed suboxone by my doctor and have been on it for over 2 years, sober. I got on it before law school to help with opiate addiction and am still on a very low dose.

Do I have to disclose this info? I can't see it coming up in anything except medical records and I feel it will just delay my application. I have no conduct or history that would validate me putting my treatment on there since I have a clean record.
I'm following the advice of "disclose & be candid" on all my other aspects... but this aspect has me second-guessing if I should disclose or not........

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Pumpkin, I do not know of a single application that specifically and directly asks about this -- but I would delete your post and just make sure to answer the questions that applications do ask. I'd especially delete if your email address is "pumpkinseed@gmail.com"...it happens on here more than you would think.

Congrats on your continued success.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I will be with Kyle McEntee, co-founder and executive director of Law School Transparency, this Saturday.

If we were to do a 30-minute podcast, given our backgrounds, what would you like for it to be on?

Kyle's background: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/wh ... /the_team/

Me (and a bit on my awesome dog): http://www.spiveyconsulting.com/about/

Thanks!

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:19 pm

roranoa wrote:What do you think about taking the test three times after a score drop on the second test? Would it be too risky and look bad?

Can I get some insight on this?
(Bumped cuz it seemed like you skipped this question)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:16 pm

roranoa wrote:
roranoa wrote:What do you think about taking the test three times after a score drop on the second test? Would it be too risky and look bad?

Schools only care about the high score. But allow me to rant more below.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:18 pm

roranoa wrote:

Schools only care about the high score. My goal is that before I die people will actually realize this and the implications it has and stop canceling because they think they *may* have done slightly worse and stop worrying about anything but the high score. But I sadly don't think it is going to happen. Pray for me.

nerdylsat

Postby nerdylsat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 am

Last edited by nerdylsat on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:33 am

Karen,

I'm confused why people who have a September LSAT score and who retake in December tell law schools to hold off on reviewing theor application until Dec. score comes out.

What if I apply to ls with my September LSAT score and then take the December LSAT. Suppose they admit me before December. Couldn't I just wait until my December score comes out and see what I get? If I score higher, then I'll tell everyone who rejected me to relook at my app. Also, everyone who accepted me or still pending, I'll tell to relook, and try to negotiate bigger scholly.

What's the point of holding off applications? Are people just too lazy to do this process? Or am I missing something?

Tazewell

Postby Tazewell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 am

This page is amazing. Thank you all so much for this!

Quick question. I'm a splitter and expect my score to be in the 166-168 range for this September test, which is low for me because I'm a high 160s low 170s scorer. I'm applying to a few top 40s, so I'll easily be above their 75th percentile, but it'll be close if I'll be in the 75th for Vandy, Notre Dame, and Texas (my other schools). My thought process now is to apply to the top 40s for ED with my September score to help with scholarships, but hold off on applying to the top 20 for the regular deadline, to make sure I'm above their 75th percentile. Basically what I'm getting at is would it help my scholarship chances more to apply early with a 166-168 to the top 40s (since I'll already be above their 75th) and just renegotiate after my December score, or just wait for the 2-3 point bump and apply on time? I'm just not sure if ED or 2-3 points helps me more with the top 40s strictly regarding scholarship money. Thank you so much for the time.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Quick question, Spivey:

I just took the September LSAT (2nd take) and was thinking if it were to be the case in which I have to retake a third time. Would I be able to apply to schools with a September score, and tell them to hold off on my app, if I decide to retake in February? I think I saw someone on other forums last cycle do this. Would this be something possible, if it came to it?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”