Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Mikey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with a growing number of former Adcoms

Postby Mikey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:10 pm

mukol wrote:
TheMikey wrote:Spivey, I have a question.

Will having small, but clearly visible that they're stretched ears hurt someone's chances of admissions if there is a video chat interview done?

Didn't impact me at all.

(5/8s for several years, hadn't worn anything for over a year when I had my video chat interview, holes were/are still see-through without anything in them, probably comparable to a 00 or 0 at the time)

Ahh alright, thanks, that's good to know. I think I will take them out if I do a video chat interview. I only had 0's but now I have 2's so I doubt they'll be visible on video if they're out.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:42 pm

unknownanonymous wrote:Hello deans, and thank you for taking the time to provide input on these questions.

I recently realized that I forgot to include a community college on my applications before I applied to several schools. I took only one course at this school several years ago and withdrew before grades were awarded. I am updating LSAC and each school individually, as well as sending in my transcript to update my CAS report. However, I'm concerned this will reflect very poorly on my application. Should I be concerned?

Happens all the time, you are doing it the right way. They won't even notice.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:04 am

If you haven't seen it, Danielle and I recorded a podcast on "When is it early/late?" in the admissions cycle. It's at the top of our blog:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com

which brings me to a second question. Which is most favorable for you all: Podcasts? Written Blogs? Video casts? Combo? (if you have to pick just one format though, not combo, which would you pick? Thanks!

Mike

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:56 am

MikeSpivey wrote:If you haven't seen it, Danielle and I recorded a podcast on "When is it early/late?" in the admissions cycle. It's at the top of our blog:

which brings me to a second question. Which is most favorable for you all: Podcasts? Written Blogs? Video casts? Combo? (if you have to pick just one format though, not combo, which would you pick? Thanks!

Mike

Blog 100%. If it's a nuanced and complex issue, that might be an exception and a podcast may be particularly informative. But mostly I just want to read something for a few minutes rather than put my headphones in for half an hour.

caitlinrw

Postby caitlinrw » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:If you haven't seen it, Danielle and I recorded a podcast on "When is it early/late?" in the admissions cycle. It's at the top of our blog:

Mike

I would love a blog! It's easier to understand and digest all the great information that you guys have. I really enjoyed the podcast and it was more natural, but a blog would definitely help. Even though no combos, even if the podcast had a transcription underneath, it would've helped as well.

USayinBoalt

Postby USayinBoalt » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Mike

Written blogs

masterz

Postby masterz » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Mike

Blogs are the best.

ponderingmeerkat

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:54 pm

My guess is you'll get a lot of people on this forum who prefer blogs. But, I don't know if that's necessarily indicative of what law school applicants overall would prefer. I would imagine the demographic that uses TLS and other similar resources (r/lawschooladmissions, r/LSAT, etc.) will overrepresent people who prefer online, written content.

It wouldn't shock me if you could successfully expand your communications reach by blogging/vloging and sharing that content across platforms to reach a broader audience. Vlogging especially could be dropped right into a "Spivey Consulting" Youtube channel and, I'd assume, you could grow a subscriber base into something pretty decent (especially if you post a lot of "evergreen material" that's always relevant--basically an FAQ of law school admissions chopped into 3-5 minute vignettes).

Good luck!

asuddenarborealstop

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Mike

I really like podcasts as a format. I would say that for data-heavy posts, a blog is best; for general advice, I thought the back-and-forth of your conversation on this podcast was really useful.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:04 pm

Great podcast! Very thoughtfully produced, great sound quality, and personable. Hope you make some more!

elcamino4

Postby elcamino4 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Mike

Definitely podcast. I listen when I'm on the go or at the gym. Also, a lot more information comes across in the way things are said and subjects broached, etc... I loved the one you did with Danielle. Thank you.

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:31 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:

Mike

Blog 100%. If it's a nuanced and complex issue, that might be an exception and a podcast may be particularly informative. But mostly I just want to read something for a few minutes rather than put my headphones in for half an hour.

I need to retract this statement. I just listened to the podcast and it was really helpful. Doing podcasts and blogs both would be great, and honestly I think we'd get so much more out of the podcast that those would be my preference.

Also, if you guys did one on scholarship negotiations you'd make me ever so pleased. :)

Also also, your poll is currently closed and can't be answered.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Everyone,

Many many thanks for the valuable input! We will balance heavy advice on tricky topics with a lean toward podcasts or Vlogs with data and quick hitting advice in blogs. Based on this advice, so you all are awesome!

Mike
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:05 pm

+1 scholarship neg. podcast. Perhaps with Karen too!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:02 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:+1 scholarship neg. podcast. Perhaps with Karen too!

I don't think it is likely we will talk too much publicly about scholarship negotiation. Maybe we could do something on initial scholarship consideration. Although that's very heavily numbered weighted so I am not sure how much value add it would be. Not sure how to come up with a good solution but we will think it over as a team internally.

calpolisci2016

Postby calpolisci2016 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Love the podcasts! Keep 'em coming!

pretzeltime

Postby pretzeltime » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:02 pm

Spives, I like the informative podcast thing.

However if you also wanted to record a string of admissions-related affirmations and reassurances in a soothing whisper and put them on a loop, that's something I'd be really interested in falling asleep to.

poptart123

Postby poptart123 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:23 pm

pretzeltime wrote:Spives, I like the informative podcast thing.

However if you also wanted to record a string of admissions-related affirmations and reassurances in a soothing whisper and put them on a loop, that's something I'd be really interested in falling asleep to.

*Soft Spivey voice* "You're application isn't late yet.. Your addendum was sufficient.. You've got this.. I'm watching you.. That's a great personal statement.."

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:58 pm

I may do just that.

Every time I see your name I sing to myself "Burgertime Burgertime" ...which is what some old arcade video game used to chirp at me when i was a kid salting burgers that were chasing me.

pretzeltime

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:10 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

I may do just that.

Every time I see your name I sing to myself "Burgertime Burgertime" ...which is what some old arcade video game used to chirp at me when i was a kid salting burgers that were chasing me.

My presence on TLS is basically an extended Rorschach test. Apparently pretzels mean a lot of different things to different people. Who knew?

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:25 pm

I have received a status checker from every school to which I applied except Michigan. I applied there on 9/1. Is there an issue, or are they just slow?

ashrice13

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:01 pm

poptart123 wrote:

*Soft Spivey voice* "You're application isn't late yet.. Your addendum was sufficient.. You've got this.. I'm watching you.. That's a great personal statement.."

Oh man, I need this exact recording in my life.

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 pm

I humbly request that we get some trade action going in our fantasy league. Trading is like half the fun of fantasy football for me, and frankly y'all so far have proven to be downright Trumpish in your trade policy.

(Unless you guys are having fervent trade discussions behind my back, but that's a scenario too heartbreaking for me to contemplate.)

dietcoke1

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:I humbly request that we get some trade action going in our fantasy league. Trading is like half the fun of fantasy football for me, and frankly y'all so far have proven to be downright Trumpish in your trade policy.

(Unless you guys are having fervent trade discussions behind my back, but that's a scenario too heartbreaking for me to contemplate.)

I humbly request that we get a thread going purely for our fantasy football league.

Also, request has been sent to you LikelyThrow

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:54 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

Oh man, I need this exact recording in my life.

Sorry to crush your idea, but there is no such thing as a *soft Spivey voice* ha!
In fact, you should hear him now that our blog is down! Eek!
Sorry about the blog being down -- we will try to get it back up and running soon!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”