Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

dietcoke1

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A PLUS Fantasy Football Sign up now!

Postby dietcoke1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:42 pm

If you have a spot open Spivey, count me in for fantasy football

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:If you have a spot open Spivey, count me in for fantasy football

Yep, I think this places us at 8. I'd like to get at least 2 more, and I have asked a celebrity admissions dean to join us so we will see if that happens.

We still need a commish and we will need 2 WL people :) Or should I not use the dreaded term. Point being, in the two years I have done this there are always at least two people who don't show up at the allotted time.

So who wants to commish?

TexasENG

Postby TexasENG » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:19 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:If you have a spot open Spivey, count me in for fantasy football

Yep, I think this places us at 8. I'd like to get at least 2 more, and I have asked a celebrity admissions dean to join us so we will see if that happens.

We still need a commish and we will need 2 WL people :) Or should I not use the dreaded term. Point being, in the two years I have done this there are always at least two people who don't show up at the allotted time.

So who wants to commish?

I can't commish, but id love to join if there is still a slot

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:24 pm

TexasENG wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

So who wants to commish?

You are #9.

Need ideally 3 more and a commish and 2 backups!

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:49 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

So who wants to commish?

What are the commissioner's duties?

asuddenarborealstop

Postby asuddenarborealstop » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:47 pm

If there are still spots, I would like to play.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:03 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

So who wants to commish?

You are #9.

Need ideally 3 more and a commish and 2 backups!

I still feel robbed over last year. I'm in, if the need's there.

spiveyasker

Postby spiveyasker » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:43 am

I have a question. Could a diversity statement centered around growing up with depression be a good idea? I think I can draw a strong connection between that and the perspective I'd bring to law school, but I could also see adcomms worrying about how I'd hold up under the stress of law school or something. I should mention, I've done much better over the last few years since getting treatment.

I've got good shots at admission everywhere but HYS, so if it's risky I'm inclined to be risk-averse.

WhyYaCryin

Postby WhyYaCryin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:10 am

If I remember correctly I lost to Spivey in the championship last year and as much as I want to take the crown from him this year, I'm afraid that my 1L grades will take a hit from the amount of time I'll spend on getting revenge so count me out. Maybe next year. Good luck all!

Gitaroo_Dude

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:47 am

If there's still a non-commish spot open, I'd love to join the league.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:01 pm

spiveyasker wrote:I have a question. Could a diversity statement centered around growing up with depression be a good idea? I think I can draw a strong connection between that and the perspective I'd bring to law school, but I could also see adcomms worrying about how I'd hold up under the stress of law school or something. I should mention, I've done much better over the last few years since getting treatment.

I've got good shots at admission everywhere but HYS, so if it's risky I'm inclined to be risk-averse.

1. How dare you hijack this important FF thread.

2. I can't decide if I love your TLS name or if it freaks me out.

3. That's a big risk for several reasons. Most topics can be done either well, or poorly, but that is a sophisticated one. I would likely lay off if you want to take a risk averse strategy.

And I am very happy to hear you are doing much better!

Mike

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:06 pm

LikelyThrowaway wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

So who wants to commish?

What are the commissioner's duties?

Basically aggregating the invitations to the league with whatever site we use (does anyone remember what we used last year?). I think clicking which rules make the most sense (I'll work with you on that but ideally we just use our last year's league with everything figured out. I think everything else pretty much is on auto pilot from there, but I have not run a league since I started getting professional responsibility and a life, about when I hit 30. Okay, well I don't really have a life but the first part is true.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:If there's still a non-commish spot open, I'd love to join the league.

it looks like we need 1 more, you make 11.

AND WE NEED A COMMISH. Want to be the final spot? Step yup and be the commish. Or maybe Throwaway is going to do it?

ponderingmeerkat

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:19 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:If there's still a non-commish spot open, I'd love to join the league.

AND WE NEED A COMMISH. Want to be the final spot? Step yup and be the commish. Or maybe Throwaway is going to do it?

OK...I'll bite the bullet and Commish this year. League is set up on ESPN Fantasy.

I'll just need everyone to PM me their email addresses so I can send the invite your way. Draft scheduled for 7:30PM EDT Wednesday. Fairly standard rules for the league (you can check them out when you sign in). Looking forward to finishing a compelling .500 as I do every year. 8)

LikelyThrowaway

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:31 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

I'd like to announce that I was about to before meerkat saved the day. That means, by law, I get all of the credit of stepping up without having to do any of the actual work.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:38 pm

My understanding is we have 12. But that means that we likely will have 10 show up draft time, 1 email and say they can't, and one disappear for weeks and then start spamming me with PMs asking for law admissions time critical advice :?

So, anyone want to be a backup?

ponderingmeerkat

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:39 pm

And...we are full!

All 12 spots claimed. I need the following people to PM me their details. (I'll take two more as alternates in case anyone flakes).

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

TheProdigal wrote:

asuddenarborealstop wrote:

TexasENG wrote:

dietcoke1 wrote:

JoshLyman13 wrote:

Baby Gaga wrote:

SweetTort wrote:

Mikey

Re: Spivey Consulting Q&A with a growing number of former Adcoms

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:58 am

Spivey, I have a question.

Will having small, but clearly visible that they're stretched ears hurt someone's chances of admissions if there is a video chat interview done?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am

TheMikey wrote:Spivey, I have a question.

Will having small, but clearly visible that they're stretched ears hurt someone's chances of admissions if there is a video chat interview done?

I doubt it, but I can't speak for each interviewer and how oddly judgmental some humans can be. But again, barring someone who has a particularly weird dislike for that (and you'd still have to be like really on the bubble for it to factor in even then) I think you are all good -- assuming you have a good interview!

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:18 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

I doubt it, but I can't speak for each interviewer and how oddly judgmental some humans can be. But again, barring someone who has a particularly weird dislike for that (and you'd still have to be like really on the bubble for it to factor in even then) I think you are all good -- assuming you have a good interview!

Alright, thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:25 am

TheMikey wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I would add that it could crush you for OCI, if you want to go the law firm route,

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
TheMikey wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I would add that it could crush you for OCI, if you want to go the law firm route,

Oh, yeah I understand that. I only plan to have them up until maybe a month or two prior to beginning law school. My only concern was its influence during interviews.

dietcoke1

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Last edited by dietcoke1 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknownanonymous

Postby unknownanonymous » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello deans, and thank you for taking the time to provide input on these questions.

I recently realized that I forgot to include a community college on my applications before I applied to several schools. I took only one course at this school several years ago and withdrew before grades were awarded. I am updating LSAC and each school individually, as well as sending in my transcript to update my CAS report. However, I'm concerned this will reflect very poorly on my application. Should I be concerned?

mukol

Postby mukol » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:01 pm

Didn't impact me at all.

(5/8s for several years, hadn't worn anything for over a year when I had my video chat interview, holes were/are still see-through without anything in them, probably comparable to a 00 or 0 at the time)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”