Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

mornincounselor

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby mornincounselor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:49 pm

zeglo wrote:Does applying early decision, then getting moved to the regular pile affect your regular pile chances? My reasoning is that if you apply early decision, the school would know that you really want to attend that school specifically, sort of like a signaling mechanism, possibly increasing chances. This is assuming good email followup and yield being taken into consideration.

e.g., Apply Northwestern ED, don't get it, but then have boosted odds in the normal stack due to signaled intent to attend.

Your reasoning is sound, but I'd argue it may be less impactful with NU specifically because of the scholarship. Saying "I will definitely attend" is different than "I will definitely attend once you back the armored truck up." Nonetheless, I've seen Dean Spivey refer to ED'ing as "the gift that keeps on giving", whether it's regular decision, decision off the waitlist, or a decision in a future cycle, that YP data point can only help you with getting in.

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:57 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
zeglo wrote:Does applying early decision, then getting moved to the regular pile affect your regular pile chances? My reasoning is that if you apply early decision, the school would know that you really want to attend that school specifically, sort of like a signaling mechanism, possibly increasing chances. This is assuming good email followup and yield being taken into consideration.

e.g., Apply Northwestern ED, don't get it, but then have boosted odds in the normal stack due to signaled intent to attend.

Your reasoning is sound, but I'd argue it may be less impactful with NU specifically because of the scholarship. Saying "I will definitely attend" is different than "I will definitely attend once you back the armored truck up." Nonetheless, I've seen Dean Spivey refer to ED'ing as "the gift that keeps on giving", whether it's regular decision, decision off the waitlist, or a decision in a future cycle, that YP data point can only help you with getting in.

What is a "YP data point"? Also, thank for the answer. I agree it may have a greater impact for Cornell or somewhere with a different ED policy.

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:15 pm

zeglo wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:

What is a "YP data point"? Also, thank for the answer. I agree it may have a greater impact for Cornell or somewhere with a different ED policy.

YP is yield protection. Schools want to have a high percentage of their admitted students choose to enroll -- this is their yield. For example, some schools may wait list otherwise qualified candidates because they fear the person wouldn't actually attend if admitted--this is them yield protecting. Ed'ing is a factor that cuts against this. They are (your post had it correct) signaling mechanisms. They tell the school you are serious about attending if admitted. Another example is your location. If you are located in Austin, Texas that's a pretty large sign to Texas Law that you would actually attend if admitted.

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:21 pm

mornincounselor wrote:
zeglo wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:

YP is yield protection. Schools want to have a high percentage of their admitted students choose to enroll -- this is their yield. For example, some schools may wait list otherwise qualified candidates because they fear the person wouldn't actually attend if admitted--this is them yield protecting. Ed'ing is a factor that cuts against this. They are (your post had it correct) signaling mechanisms. They tell the school you are serious about attending if admitted. Another example is your location. If you are located in Austin, Texas that's a pretty large sign to Texas Law that you would actually attend if admitted.

Ah, makes perfect sense. I was thinking along those lines - just didn't connect the dots with the YP abbreviation. Excellent!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:47 pm

mornincounselor wrote:

It was actually how I was going to answer this inquiry, but you nailed it for me!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:49 pm

If anyone is interested, we are hosting a NCAA Bracket! The group password is: lawschool.

http://spiveyconsulting.mayhem.cbssports.com/

Come one, come all!

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 am

It just says I do not have access; there doesn't seem to be a way to enter a password. Or am I just inept?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:51 am

zeglo wrote:It just says I do not have access; there doesn't seem to be a way to enter a password. Or am I just inept?

I think either you have to first create a CBS Sport account, or I am inept.

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:12 am

Before I created an account the link wouldn't resolve. Now . .

"You are logged in with userid mornincounselor@com, which does not have access to this league. If you think this is wrong, please contact the league commissioner and ask for an invite."

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 pm

CBS shouldn't let you send out tweet invites if they don't work. I'll invite everyone who sends me their email in a PM or here!

lawyersHATEhim

Postby lawyersHATEhim » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi, anyone that can give a clear answer,

Looking at the spreadsheets of decisions, it looks like they are barely trickeling in or have stopped for some schools. Are they already filling up? Should we all be expecting waitlists at places we haven't heard from yet? Will decisions start coming in faster after the hold deposit deadlines have passed?

Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Hey all. Let's just not do the bracket. I'm already working absurd hours and doubt I will have time to input everyone's email -- or even fill in my own :/ Maybe next year and I can get someone to manage it :)

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:26 am

lawyersHATEhim wrote:Hi, anyone that can give a clear answer,

Looking at the spreadsheets of decisions, it looks like they are barely trickeling in or have stopped for some schools. Are they already filling up? Should we all be expecting waitlists at places we haven't heard from yet? Will decisions start coming in faster after the hold deposit deadlines have passed?

Thank you!

There are more decisions to come, but they likely have slowed so the school can check in and see where they are with admits so far and see who is left in the applicant pool. Not necessarily all waitlists left, but this time of year -- or in the coming weeks -- is when there can be a pause in admit decisions so they can do a bit of an assessment on where they stand.

The schools will certainly have a better sense post-deposit deadlines (which is why they aren't too keen on extending those deadlines) so it is possible that they will be full or it is possible that they will make more offers.

Hang in there! The waiting is the hardest part sometimes!!

Cheers,
KB

WhiteHouse

Postby WhiteHouse » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello! Question regarding dual-degree programs and admissions

I am a prospective JD/MPP applicant and was accepted to both Duke's Sanford School (MPP) and UChicago's Harris School (MPP) but was waitlisted at both Duke and Chicago's law school. Both MPP programs have a deposit deadline of April 15th. Since law school is my priority, I would attend a different law school over attending just one of the MPP programs.

Would it be possible to explain this situation to the law school adcom in the hopes that they consider bumping me off the waitlist early? I know they say they don't look at the waitlist until May or after the deposit deadline. But certainly I can't be the first person in this situation where the dates conflict with each other.

Any advice? :D

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 am

WhiteHouse wrote:Hello! Question regarding dual-degree programs and admissions

I am a prospective JD/MPP applicant and was accepted to both Duke's Sanford School (MPP) and UChicago's Harris School (MPP) but was waitlisted at both Duke and Chicago's law school. Both MPP programs have a deposit deadline of April 15th. Since law school is my priority, I would attend a different law school over attending just one of the MPP programs.

Would it be possible to explain this situation to the law school adcom in the hopes that they consider bumping me off the waitlist early? I know they say they don't look at the waitlist until May or after the deposit deadline. But certainly I can't be the first person in this situation where the dates conflict with each other.

Perhaps the MPP schools can help in this situation: ask for an extension on the deposit deadline and explain why. See what they say - it doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as the law schools, you can certainly explain the situation to them, but I wouldn't ask them to speed up the decision (you may not like the sped-up decision). Ask for advice from them to see what they say.

Good luck!
Cheers,
KB

WhiteHouse

Postby WhiteHouse » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:13 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
WhiteHouse wrote:Hello! Question regarding dual-degree programs and admissions

Perhaps the MPP schools can help in this situation: ask for an extension on the deposit deadline and explain why. See what they say - it doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as the law schools, you can certainly explain the situation to them, but I wouldn't ask them to speed up the decision (you may not like the sped-up decision). Ask for advice from them to see what they say.

Good luck!
Cheers,
KB

Much appreciated! Thanks

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 am

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:38 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Most recent cycle data!

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2015-16/

Thanks for keeping up with the data! Thoughts on this update? It looks like females are now the dominant applicant. Also, how does GPA fit in to this - also rising?

Adcomm

Postby Adcomm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:39 am

How serious are schools that have waitlisted you when they tell you to let them know if you have upcoming deadlines? I'm approaching a steep deposit deadline but the school I'm waitlisted for won't look at their waitlist for some time.

splitterfromhell

Postby splitterfromhell » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am

Is the general consensus that next cycle will be more competitive than this one because of rising apps?

Signed,
Considering Reapplying

MAPP

Postby MAPP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:37 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:Is the general consensus that next cycle will be more competitive than this one because of rising apps?

Signed,
Considering Reapplying

+1

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Adcomm wrote:How serious are schools that have waitlisted you when they tell you to let them know if you have upcoming deadlines? I'm approaching a steep deposit deadline but the school I'm waitlisted for won't look at their waitlist for some time.

Information like that is valuable to them. Certainly if they ask for you to share, share. They are much more serious about their needs than yours, of course, but it can't hurt to let them know.

You are an Adcomm, you know how it works :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:13 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:Is the general consensus that next cycle will be more competitive than this one because of rising apps?

Signed,
Considering Reapplying

Far from close to a general consensus. It would be ludicrous for their to be a general consensus on prediction. My best guess, which is only a guess, is that things at the top as far as LSAT scores will be down.

That said, I will immodestly say the last time we guessed, we guest mostly right: http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/predic ... ons-cycle/

Jumpman

Postby Jumpman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:58 am

Last edited by Jumpman on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mghaffar

Postby mghaffar » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 pm

I saw the Waitlist Webinar post late and am really sad to have missed it. Any chance there is a recording somewhere that you can post?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”