Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 am

Just an fyi Karen and I are traveling this entire week for a work project, so it will be Derek and Derek alone on here until next week.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi Karen and I are traveling this entire week for a work project, so it will be Derek and Derek alone on here until next week.

Why am I having a Newhart flashback?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 am

haus wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi Karen and I are traveling this entire week for a work project, so it will be Derek and Derek alone on here until next week.

That was Daryll and his other brother Daryll
and this reference dates us haha!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

haus wrote:

You old.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:52 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
haus wrote:

You old.

Ouch, that says a lot coming from Old Man Mike :D

haus

Postby haus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
haus wrote:

You old.

lol

That explains a lot.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:24 am

storpappa wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
haus wrote:

You old.

Ouch, that says a lot coming from Old Man Mike :D

No joke.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:32 am, edited 7 times in total.

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:34 am

cam89 wrote:Hi all,

I wanted to hear your opinion on writing a "why" essay for Columbia. It seems that most TLSers say not to, yet on their FAQs they seem to imply that they would like one. Thanks so much!

Funny, I just asked Mike and Karen this question the other day. My inclination was "yes," and they agreed. Now, I wouldn't say that EVERY applicant should write a "why Columbia" essay. There certainly will be candidates that are numerically competitive for admission to Columbia and that have backgrounds and experiences that seem to be a good fit for Columbia, and thus, they may not need to write the supplemental essay. (Plenty of applicants that don't write such an essay get admitted.) But if Columbia is your first choice, or if you are a splitter or marginal candidate, then I say, yes, write the essay.

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:44 am

gamerish wrote:Hi, guys. With LSAT takers being up after the June admin, I've seen several people (Mike, most prominently) speculate that there will be a general desire amongst law schools to increase class sizes with the uptake in applications this cycle. I was wondering how you guys might think that would affect scholarship offers, if it would at all, especially in the T14. With more students and more tuition coming into the schools, would that give those of us hoping for merit scholarships at least the same odds of getting one, if not better, as in the last couple of cycles? Or will scholarships see little of the tuition surplus and the increase in students will correlate instead with increased competition for that money and therefore less of it to go around?

Thanks

Great question. And, unfortunately, the answer is it will probably be the latter, i.e., the increase in applicants will likely correlate to increased competition for the money. (Though, of course, this also depends on whether there is an increase, and to what extent, in LSAT takers scoring ~169+). Bottom line: The increase in scholarship money and smaller class sizes for many schools the past few years have been a drain on resources. They are going to want to get some of that back.

cam89

Postby cam89 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:50 pm

deanmeeker wrote:
cam89 wrote:Hi all,

I wanted to hear your opinion on writing a "why" essay for Columbia. It seems that most TLSers say not to, yet on their FAQs they seem to imply that they would like one. Thanks so much!

Funny, I just asked Mike and Karen this question the other day. My inclination was "yes," and they agreed. Now, I wouldn't say that EVERY applicant should write a "why Columbia" essay. There certainly will be candidates that are numerically competitive for admission to Columbia and that have backgrounds and experiences that seem to be a good fit for Columbia, and thus, they may not need to write the supplemental essay. (Plenty of applicants that don't write such an essay get admitted.) But if Columbia is your first choice, or if you are a splitter or marginal candidate, then I say, yes, write the essay.

Thanks so much Derek.

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey guys.

I'm intending to write an addendum to help explain my GPA. I was the primary caretaker for my terminally ill mom for a good chunk of my UG career and didn't go to school in my hometown. A couple questions:

1) This is a good idea, right? I personally know it legitimately affected my GPA, but I don't want to look like I'm grasping to an adcom.
2) How long can this sort of thing be? I'll probably be using this theme for my Personal Statement as well, but I want to attach a complete narrative of the events to my transcript in the addendum. Is a 200 word addendum too much?

Thanks.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:36 pm

MrBalloons wrote:Hey guys.

I'm intending to write an addendum to help explain my GPA. I was the primary caretaker for my terminally ill mom for a good chunk of my UG career and didn't go to school in my hometown. A couple questions:

1) This is a good idea, right? I personally know it legitimately affected my GPA, but I don't want to look like I'm grasping to an adcom.
2) How long can this sort of thing be? I'll probably be using this theme for my Personal Statement as well, but I want to attach a complete narrative of the events to my transcript in the addendum. Is a 200 word addendum too much?

Thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, but yes I would write the addendum. I'd keep it about a page, just explain the situation and the time and impact it had on you. They will understand and should know.

I hope this helps,

Mike

MrBalloons

Postby MrBalloons » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:58 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
MrBalloons wrote:Hey guys.

Thanks.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, but yes I would write the addendum. I'd keep it about a page, just explain the situation and the time and impact it had on you. They will understand and should know.

I hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

woc

Postby woc » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Last edited by woc on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

procell

Postby procell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 am

Hello! Long time lurker here and I felt compelled to make an account to ask this question.

What are your opinions on recommendation evaluations? In particular, for T-14?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi Fantasy Football People! We need a commissioner. Can someone who is in our league volunteer here, and I will then exchange PMs with said person on the league platform and draft date and time. Thanks!

Mike

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:51 pm

woc wrote:Hello! I am a KJD, planning on applying at the end of October / early November. My only concern is my limited WE (four-months of waitressing). Would acquiring an internship between now and then be worth my while? Or should I continue focusing exclusively (as I have since my graduation) on studying for the LSAT? Thank you!

Focus on the LSAT for now since it's only a short time, but you are technically not a K-JD if you've graduated already. You have a year before you will enter law school, and I'd recommend having something lined up for after the LSAT. You can put something on your resume even if you haven't started yet (for law school admissions purposes only) or send an updated resume to most schools later in the process if you have something to add.

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:28 am

Here is an infographic that should be particularly helpful to anyone just starting the law school admissions process. Enjoy!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/naviga ... admission/

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:46 am

procell wrote:Hello! Long time lurker here and I felt compelled to make an account to ask this question.

I did not find the evaluations helpful at all, and I suspect that I am not alone. Its also a bit of a pain/extra step for your recommender/evaluator. I don't know of any schools that require them (please let me know if I am mistaken), and not all schools accept them. They may have changed since I last saw them, but I'm not a fan. A good LOR is much more helpful in my opinion.

Cheers,
KB

woc

Postby woc » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Last edited by woc on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerekMeeker

Postby DerekMeeker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:55 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
procell wrote:Hello! Long time lurker here and I felt compelled to make an account to ask this question.

I did not find the evaluations helpful at all, and I suspect that I am not alone. Its also a bit of a pain/extra step for your recommender/evaluator. I don't know of any schools that require them (please let me know if I am mistaken), and not all schools accept them. They may have changed since I last saw them, but I'm not a fan. A good LOR is much more helpful in my opinion.

Cheers,
KB

You are not alone, KB! I agree 100%; I'd much rather see the LOR.

Best,
DM

benwyatt

Post removed.

Postby benwyatt » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:38 am

benwyatt wrote:Hi all,

I'm curious, when you had reapplicants, how often did you actually pull up their old applications? If it was rare, why did you decide to pull up those particular applications?

It was in their file and I almost always checked to see if they at least took the time to do a new PS. Then while I was there I often read the old one too.

benwyatt

Post removed.

Postby benwyatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:49 am

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”