Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

TexasENG

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby TexasENG » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Hey Karen / Mike,

Thanks for the great resource here. I looked back through a lot of the old materials, and saw some bits that somewhat answer my question, but couldn't find anything definitive.

I'm trying to gauge how helpful an LSAT retake would be. It seems the conventional TLS wisdom is retake til you ~180. If you are already >75 percentile for a school does a higher score actually help in admittance / scholarship? Once you are in the 99th percentile for the LSAT, how much does an admittance team look at say a 171 vs 174? Would you have to jump the score band for it to be worth it?

And one more for the road. I just read the blog with last years data and was wondering if you have any predictions for this cycle?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:40 am

I believe we *might* get the number of June test-takers today. I'm pretty super kinda amazingly curious about this. Stay tuned!

BananaSplit626

Postby BananaSplit626 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:06 am

Count me in for a fantasy waitlist spot!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:30 pm

June takers are up 6.6%, and, as we noted in March, I expect this trend to continue this cycle:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/predic ... ons-cycle/

victory

Postby victory » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:June takers are up 6.6%, and, as we noted in March, I expect this trend to continue this cycle:

:(

Thanks for the update!

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:01 am

MikeSpivey wrote:June takers are up 6.6%, and, as we noted in March, I expect this trend to continue this cycle:

Hopefully it's just a strong rebound of the 165++ but a decline or even below 165. there are lower ranked schools that seriously need to close. We shall see the rest of the cycle.

DerrickBita

Now I can have blissful love life with her.

Postby DerrickBita » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:58 am

deleted

Ron Howard

Postby Ron Howard » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Mods, see post above

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Ron Howard wrote:Mods, see post above

There's a report button

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:38 pm

What was the deleted post? TLS every once in awhile logs me out and I have been too busy to deal with logging in this weekend. Sorry if I missed it.

Ron Howard

Postby Ron Howard » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:50 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

What was the deleted post? TLS every once in awhile logs me out and I have been too busy to deal with logging in this weekend. Sorry if I missed it.

Yeah, there was some post, possibly an advertisement, about erectile disfunction (I guess). It was inappropriate, but not particularly entertaining.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 am

Hey Spivey, I was looking through the pdf of this thread you made the other day and couldn't find the answer to a specific question I had. If you have a strong upward trend in GPA should you write an addendum or will the admissions council notice it on their own? and does it help at all? Like if without one semester if my GPA would jump .15 would they consider my GPA as the higher number? I know they can't report that to US. News so they don't have an incentive to do it, but I am hoping they at least consider it. Thank you for all the help and time you spend on tls!

Generally

Post removed.

Postby Generally » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:26 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basti

Postby basti » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Yikes, being a total hater but hope the law school cycle doesn't become competitive until the next one lol.

Any chance of this being the case, Spivey? Allay my fears! :?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Seamus887 wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:Hey Spivey, I was looking through the pdf of this thread you made the other day and couldn't find the answer to a specific question I had. If you have a strong upward trend in GPA should you write an addendum or will the admissions council notice it on their own? and does it help at all? Like if without one semester if my GPA would jump .15 would they consider my GPA as the higher number? I know they can't report that to US. News so they don't have an incentive to do it, but I am hoping they at least consider it. Thank you for all the help and time you spend on tls!

2nd this question. Addendum if you have one bad semester of 2 Fs and from then on all As with a few Bs?

Yes they will notice it on their own. Indeed they will see it in several places, your ASR and your transcripts. And most people do trend up so they will have an eye for it.

GPA addenda are too often used. So just an increase or pointing to one semester I think would likely be in that "too much" category. But, if there were extenuating circumstances let them know, for sure. Just do not blame anyone else, whatever those circumstances were.

iceballoon

Postby iceballoon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi Mike or Karen,

Thanks for the great resources here!

I have a question about letter of recommendation. My previous employer was happy to write one for me and one general point she wanted to make is that even though my workload was heavy, I still squeezed time and stuck to LSAT study. This impressed her with my self-discipline and commitment. But I only got mid-160s at that attempt, so I worried whether bringing out the test preparation may hurt.

Thank you very much!

LifeGoals

Postby LifeGoals » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:15 pm

I have a question about diversity statements. Should the focus of a diversity statement be primarily about the hardships one has faced, or should it be more focused on how the identity as a whole impacts the applicant's perspective in the present?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:37 pm

LifeGoals wrote:I have a question about diversity statements. Should the focus of a diversity statement be primarily about the hardships one has faced, or should it be more focused on how the identity as a whole impacts the applicant's perspective in the present?

I would imagine that in most cases to talk fully about the latter, you may need to describe the former. The takeaway should be about what you learned, how you grew, how it shaped your perspective, but it is often within the context of your story.

We wrote a blog article last year about diversity statements, which may be helpful here: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/when-s ... statement/

Cheers,
KB

Spence334

Postby Spence334 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Just had a quick question in regards to physically going in and talking to the admissions team upon a rejection or waitlist-- what are your thoughts on that? And if I do decide to go ahead and do that (because I have literally nothing to lose and everything to gain) how should I go about doing so?
Also wanted to ask, in this scenario, who would be the best target? A member of the admissions team, the director of recruiting and/or manager of recruitment? Obviously talking to the committee would be best, but that may not be possible with people being busy. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

SabbathPuppet

Postby SabbathPuppet » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks so much for doing this. I have a question that's been nagging me for some time: should I mention in my "Why X?" statement that my partner attends a PhD program at a law school I'm applying to? I feel like they would be want to know this, because it makes it vastly more likely that I'll matriculate. On the other hand, I don't know if I want it to seem like my only reason for wanting to attend their law school is a personal one.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:41 pm

SabbathPuppet wrote:Thanks so much for doing this. I have a question that's been nagging me for some time: should I mention in my "Why X?" statement that my partner attends a PhD program at a law school I'm applying to? I feel like they would be want to know this, because it makes it vastly more likely that I'll matriculate. On the other hand, I don't know if I want it to seem like my only reason for wanting to attend their law school is a personal one.

Yes they want to know. There are two reasons this is good:

1. These statements are used for yield protection. There aren't much better indicators that you will attend than "my fiancé is at the same school"

2. Most Adcoms are people with a human side to them. Particularly if you are WL'd this could be the elevating factor for you.

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
SabbathPuppet wrote:Thanks so much for doing this. I have a question that's been nagging me for some time: should I mention in my "Why X?" statement that my partner attends a PhD program at a law school I'm applying to? I feel like they would be want to know this, because it makes it vastly more likely that I'll matriculate. On the other hand, I don't know if I want it to seem like my only reason for wanting to attend their law school is a personal one.

Yes they want to know. There are two reasons this is good:

1. These statements are used for yield protection. There aren't much better indicators that you will attend than "my fiancé is at the same school"

2. Most Adcoms are people with a human side to them. Particularly if you are WL'd this could be the elevating factor for you.

I have a question about statement 1. Are the statements only advantageous for YP? Because I'm assuming T3 schools aren't too afraid of YP. Would that make a Why X law school a dumb idea? Or could the statements help an applicant in the sense that they let a T3 school that they know what they want to do at law school, and that they've researched x law school for their clinics, etc?

chaitealatte

Postby chaitealatte » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi Mike and Karen! Continuing the question deluge so thanks as always for all your help! I have a question about LORs-- I'm three years out of college, and I'm planning on getting one of my professors (also my thesis advisor) to write one of my letters. For the past year and a half, I've worked at a big think tank in a law-focused research field, I've worked closely with two attorneys over the past several months and I'm confident that either of them would write me a great letter. My question-- if I want to submit a third letter, is it okay to ask both attorneys for a letter? I believe one would be able to speak well to my advocacy and legal research skills, while I'm co-writing a major publication with the second attorney, which in size and scope, is easily on parallel with a thesis (except it'll actually be published!). Will it disadvantage me to have two professional+one academic letter, even if the bulk of my professional work has been literally legal research and publishing? I'm sure I could get a professor from a seminar course in college to write the third LOR if absolutely necessary, but I doubt they'd have anything more unique to say than "she was a good writer/participated in class discussions etc." especially since it's been so long. i'd really appreciate any insight!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am

basti wrote:Yikes, being a total hater but hope the law school cycle doesn't become competitive until the next one lol.

Any chance of this being the case, Spivey? Allay my fears! :?

I'm sorta doubting it. We'll know more in Oct, of course, but talking heads are starting the think more competitive:

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... re_twitter

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”