Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:28 pm

It's free!

brendo17

Postby brendo17 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Count me in on the fantasy league

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:02 pm

I would, but I wouldn't be able to use the transfer advice when I end up as a C student after all that time managing my FF powerhouse.

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Mike,

Thanks for this thread; the information presented in invaluable!

Do you have any advice on how to tactfully mention a physical disability on applications?

The disability, although mild, has had an impact on my life and serves as one of my main drivers to succeed.

I just don't want to seem like I am "using" the disability on my application...

Thanks!

ggnobbq

Postby ggnobbq » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:18 pm

+1 Fantasy Football, I'm in.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:27 pm

YupSports wrote:Mike,

Thanks for this thread; the information presented in invaluable!

Do you have any advice on how to tactfully mention a physical disability on applications?

The disability, although mild, has had an impact on my life and serves as one of my main drivers to succeed.

I just don't want to seem like I am "using" the disability on my application...

Thanks!

There is certainly a way to do it with the right tone, and there are a few different ways that might work; I could see this being the subject or just a part of personal statement, diversity statement or addendum. But so much depends on the details of what you are telling them and the tone of the writing. It sounds like you have a good handle on that, but feel free to shoot me a PM!

Cheers,
KB

Pacman

Postby Pacman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:45 pm

+1 in for the Fantasy Football League

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:58 am

Pacman Jones is in our Fantasy Football League!

We are about halfway full, fyi.

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:18 pm

so when the June LSAT results come out?

legal.beagle

Postby legal.beagle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Count me in on the Fantasy Football League, Mike :D

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Here is a question I posted in its own thread, but would love to get an answer from some experienced professionals.

I am taking the LSAT in December, and I know this is a bit late in the cycle.

Would it be better for my admissions chances to submit applications without scores (and then have the scores forwarded once released), or should I want until scores are released and go pedal-to-the-metal on my applications?

Thanks so much!

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Hey guys,

Random but has there been any word yet on # of June LSAT test takers? Curious to see how it will play out after the uptick in Feb 2015 test takers

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Hey guys,

Random but has there been any word yet on # of June LSAT test takers? Curious to see how it will play out after the uptick in Feb 2015 test takers

Not random at all, it will be highly interesting to see. We should get them mid to late July. Stay posted!

LFCNY9

Postby LFCNY9 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:26 am

Hi, I posted this in the other thread with Dean Meeker, but I understand that one is closing soon so thought I would post here. I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone who can provide some clarity to my situation. Thanks very much.

~

I have a question regarding accepting offers at schools and the repercussions of backing out/intending to enroll at multiple schools. I have paid 2 separate deposits at a law school I was planning to enroll in. However, this past Monday I was admitted off a waitlist at another school, and they gave me until Friday to pay a deposit and send in a Statement of Intent to Enroll. I paid this deposit and signed the form on Friday to hold my spot. Is this form binding? Also, I now have to submit to the original school a registration form that is due tomorrow. If I sign this, but they see that I signed the intent to enroll form at another school, can they take away my spot and scholarship? I guess the basic q is can you have intents to enroll at multiple schools? (although the wording of the forms are different and one seems slightly more binding than the other).

The reason I want to keep both options open longer is because the school that recently admitted me from the Waitlist is on the other side of the country, and I want to arrange a visit this week before officially committing. It will be a huge change in lifestyle and I think I need to be there again to feel confident in my decision. However I of course do not want to lose my spot at the original school. My goal is to take this trip and then decide officially ASAP so I can let the schools know as I am aware that people are WL'ed at both and I do not want to hold the spots any longer than is necessary.

Are these school-specific questions or is there general precedent? Should I contact admissions at one or both schools to ask? Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Gracelover

Postby Gracelover » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:16 am

For housing and financial reasons, I had to withdraw from certain waitlists last month...

But I will be reapplying to those schools that I had been waitlisted at...

Should I write an addendum explaining why I withdrew from the waitlists last month when reapplying? Would it affect my application negatively if I don't include an addendum explaining the reasons for my withdrawal? And most importantly, would that fact that I withdrew from the waitlist last month negatively affect my chances when I reapply to those schools?

Thank you for your consideration!!!

YupSports

Postby YupSports » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:28 am

Also, please count me in for Fantasy Football!

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Count me in if there's still an open spot!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Yep, I believe we have 1 more open spot now for the last person who wants to snag it.

We'll try to answer some of these questions today too!

TexasENG

Postby TexasENG » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:39 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Yep, I believe we have 1 more open spot now for the last person who wants to snag it.

We'll try to answer some of these questions today too!

Count me in for fantasy please!

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:52 pm

If by *any* chance there is still one spot (even though it appears there isn't), I would be on board! If not, I will gladly take a spot on the waiting list (hehe).

ggnobbq

Postby ggnobbq » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Oskosh wrote:If by *any* chance there is still one spot (even though it appears there isn't), I would be on board! If not, I will gladly take a spot on the waiting list (hehe).

Spivey has noted your continued interest and has updated your file. Feel free to update your application with any new information that you feel is relevant and would like the Fantasy Committee to have for review. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm

YupSports wrote:Here is a question I posted in its own thread, but would love to get an answer from some experienced professionals.

I am taking the LSAT in December, and I know this is a bit late in the cycle.

Would it be better for my admissions chances to submit applications without scores (and then have the scores forwarded once released), or should I want until scores are released and go pedal-to-the-metal on my applications?

Thanks so much!

The way I generally answer this is "if it does not interfere with your LSAT prep, by all means submit earlier with a clear note letting them know you are taking the Dec LSAT in the LSAT section of the application" .... "if doing all of the application work in the least bit interferes with LSAT prep, just get after it right after you take the LSAT."

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:25 pm

ggnobbq wrote:
Oskosh wrote:If by *any* chance there is still one spot (even though it appears there isn't), I would be on board! If not, I will gladly take a spot on the waiting list (hehe).

Spivey has noted your continued interest and has updated your file. Feel free to update your application with any new information that you feel is relevant and would like the Fantasy Committee to have for review. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Almost dead on but please don't provide new information! I suspect we will need an extra.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Gracelover wrote:For housing and financial reasons, I had to withdraw from certain waitlists last month...

But I will be reapplying to those schools that I had been waitlisted at...

Should I write an addendum explaining why I withdrew from the waitlists last month when reapplying? Would it affect my application negatively if I don't include an addendum explaining the reasons for my withdrawal? And most importantly, would that fact that I withdrew from the waitlist last month negatively affect my chances when I reapply to those schools?

Thank you for your consideration!!!

no need to explain this at all - you withdrew before a decision was made, so there is no harm at all.

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:26 pm

LFCNY9 wrote:Hi, I posted this in the other thread with Dean Meeker, but I understand that one is closing soon so thought I would post here. I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone who can provide some clarity to my situation. Thanks very much.

~

I have a question regarding accepting offers at schools and the repercussions of backing out/intending to enroll at multiple schools. I have paid 2 separate deposits at a law school I was planning to enroll in. However, this past Monday I was admitted off a waitlist at another school, and they gave me until Friday to pay a deposit and send in a Statement of Intent to Enroll. I paid this deposit and signed the form on Friday to hold my spot. Is this form binding? Also, I now have to submit to the original school a registration form that is due tomorrow. If I sign this, but they see that I signed the intent to enroll form at another school, can they take away my spot and scholarship? I guess the basic q is can you have intents to enroll at multiple schools? (although the wording of the forms are different and one seems slightly more binding than the other).

The reason I want to keep both options open longer is because the school that recently admitted me from the Waitlist is on the other side of the country, and I want to arrange a visit this week before officially committing. It will be a huge change in lifestyle and I think I need to be there again to feel confident in my decision. However I of course do not want to lose my spot at the original school. My goal is to take this trip and then decide officially ASAP so I can let the schools know as I am aware that people are WL'ed at both and I do not want to hold the spots any longer than is necessary.

Are these school-specific questions or is there general precedent? Should I contact admissions at one or both schools to ask? Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

There are school-specific considerations here, so be sure to read the commitment forms you signed. In any case, I would think that most schools will reach out to you to clarify before taking any action -- especially since the reports are only updated when the schools update their own data. (What that means is that there may be delays in updating and the information the schools have on those reports will not be 100% accurate all of the time.)

Cheers,
KB

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”