Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

KarenButtenbaum

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed May 13, 2015 9:47 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Is there a limit to the number of scholarship increases I can ask for? If I've got a new offer can I take it to a school even though I've already asked for an increase three times? (Accepted once, denied twice)

Generally speaking, having new information may warrant another ask. Keep in mind that every time you ask for more money, it can be rubbing them the wrong way. But you have a better feel for your relationship with the office than we do from how they are responding to your previous requests. If they won't give you more, they will say no again. Just be pleasant in your dealings with them.

Cheers,
KB

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed May 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

KDgirl

Postby KDgirl » Thu May 14, 2015 11:20 am

Is it ever advantageous to pursue a joint degree program (MPH/JD or MBA/JD) when you don't have an exact idea of what you want to do, but it does interest you?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat May 16, 2015 9:10 am

KDgirl wrote:Is it ever advantageous to pursue a joint degree program (MPH/JD or MBA/JD) when you don't have an exact idea of what you want to do, but it does interest you?

That is more of a personal question than an admissions one (although from a purely admissions perspective yes it can help, for example some schools have joint admissions applications, decision-makers etc, some give preference if you have already been admitted to the b-school, for example, etc).

From a life/career perspective there are, of course, pros and cons. The big con would be the time value of money. The big pros would be differentiation and as you suggest, interest in the topic.

KDgirl

Postby KDgirl » Mon May 18, 2015 9:54 am

Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon May 18, 2015 10:22 am

For everyone on a WL anywhere. I will have a blog up this afternoon on two theories for this summer (massive WL movement v. tempered WL movement) and what I expect will happen.

Edit update, oh and I will tweet the link the second it comes live. Hopefully around 1pm MT.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 am

Hello Mr. Spivey,

Question re. your blog post yesterday: Any clue as to timing should "Option One" be the case? Is this something that should begin in a month? Two weeks? Any day now? I imagine a lot of it has to do with deposit deadlines, but are there other factors as well?

Thanks for providing your amazing advise to us moochers. I wonder why you do it, but am grateful that you do.

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Tue May 19, 2015 1:12 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:Hello Mr. Spivey,

Question re. your blog post yesterday: Any clue as to timing should "Option One" be the case? Is this something that should begin in a month? Two weeks? Any day now? I imagine a lot of it has to do with deposit deadlines, but are there other factors as well?

Thanks for providing your amazing advise to us moochers. I wonder why you do it, but am grateful that you do.

Good will. Connections. Clients. Profit.

Also, he's a good guy!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue May 19, 2015 2:26 pm

theramblingfool wrote:

Good will. Connections. Clients. Profit.

Also, he's a good guy!

PLUS, we would get so bored if we thought of and knew these things and just sat in them. Where would the fun be in that? But yes, all of those other things too.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm

I think you will see at least 2 top 6 schools with a wave of admits in the next 2-3 weeks.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Tue May 19, 2015 2:30 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

I think you will see at least 2 top 6 schools with a wave of admits in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks! Hope you're right (and that my name is included!)

Chagolla123

Postby Chagolla123 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello Mr. Spivey,

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD (Last week). I have been lucky enough however to get accepted into some good schools, and receive scholarship money as well. I was wondering if informing the schools of my recent diagnosis might garner me some more money by chance? Also, I have been placed on the waitlist for a couple other schools, would informing them that I have ADHD be most likely to help, or diminish, my chances in any way of getting accepted off of the waitlist?

All your help is appreciated!

Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue May 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Chagolla123 wrote:Hello Mr. Spivey,

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD (Last week). I have been lucky enough however to get accepted into some good schools, and receive scholarship money as well. I was wondering if informing the schools of my recent diagnosis might garner me some more money by chance? Also, I have been placed on the waitlist for a couple other schools, would informing them that I have ADHD be most likely to help, or diminish, my chances in any way of getting accepted off of the waitlist?

Thank you!

Chagolla,

This is a new proposition to me. I don't mean to put words in your mouth but are you proposing to email the schools you are waitlisted at with something along the lines of:

"Just a brief update that I have been recently diagnosed with ADHD?"

I would see this as more likely being interpreted the wrong way on their end. Not your diagnosis, but that rather peculiar update. I hope this helps!

Mike

MustaphaMond

Postby MustaphaMond » Wed May 20, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Spivey,

I had a question regarding your recent blog post. You say that: "Those who stay in touch with their top schools but in a patient, professional way will reap the benefits of these waves of admits."

I think the instructions there are clear -- maintain contact (in a professional manner) w the school -- but I'm somewhat surprised because that seems to be different from other advice I've received. I'm concerned with HLS, specifically. They seem to indicate that there's not much use in reaching out to them -- am I misreading this? Or is this advice, perhaps, true of schools generally but less so of HLS?

If so, what method of contact would you consider most effective? Would it be best to send a brief email, simply confirming interest and willingness to accept an offer? Or would it be more advisable to send something more lengthy/substantial?

Thank you very much for your help.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed May 20, 2015 11:43 am

MustaphaMond wrote:Hi Spivey,

I had a question regarding your recent blog post. You say that: "Those who stay in touch with their top schools but in a patient, professional way will reap the benefits of these waves of admits."

I think the instructions there are clear -- maintain contact (in a professional manner) w the school -- but I'm somewhat surprised because that seems to be different from other advice I've received. I'm concerned with HLS, specifically. They seem to indicate that there's not much use in reaching out to them -- am I misreading this? Or is this advice, perhaps, true of schools generally but less so of HLS?

If so, what method of contact would you consider most effective? Would it be best to send a brief email, simply confirming interest and willingness to accept an offer? Or would it be more advisable to send something more lengthy/substantial?

Thank you very much for your help.

it is different from school to school. At the very very top you generally get once shot at it, about a one page LOCI. Most schools, however, would like to hear from you from time to time to make sure you are a yield candidate.

Also, consider this. Let's say a school has 1000 people on the WL. It is July 1 and they are thinking about taking a small number, say 10. let us say you time is right and email them July 1 in a very simple, professional way. Do you think it is more likely they will read your file and a few others, or all 1000? This, for most schools, is a boon when you time it right.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed May 20, 2015 3:08 pm

I will give free, lifetime consulting for admissions, employment, and Stratego skills for anyone who will fly out here (Boulder) today and help me set up my iPod Shuffle so that I can change the order of my individual songs LIKE IT WAS ABLE TO DO IN 2002... and who when they graduate from law school will sue Apple for me for great mental anguish.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed May 20, 2015 3:13 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I will give free, lifetime consulting for admissions, employment, and Stratego skills for anyone who will fly out here (Boulder) today and help me set up my iPod Shuffle so that I can change the order of my individual songs LIKE IT WAS ABLE TO DO IN 2002... and who when they graduate from law school will sue Apple for me for great mental anguish.

I'll be there on Saturday! But I don't need the consulting services. You can buy me dinner :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed May 20, 2015 3:18 pm

You are horrible at Stratego.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed May 20, 2015 3:20 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:You are horrible at Stratego.

true, but I'd rather have dinner.

Chagolla123

Postby Chagolla123 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:41 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Thank you!

Chagolla,

This is a new proposition to me. I don't mean to put words in your mouth but are you proposing to email the schools you are waitlisted at with something along the lines of:

I would see this as more likely being interpreted the wrong way on their end. Not your diagnosis, but that rather peculiar update. I hope this helps!

Mike

Mr. Spivey,

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about bringing it up while submitting a LOCI. I definitely would go a little more into detail than just saying I was recently diagnosed. My thought is that since most people that are diagnosed with this learning disability normally do a lot better in school/work once under treatment, that they would consider this when going over my numbers upon reevaluating the applicant pool. My numbers are not that bad, but since I was waitlisted I thought perhaps this would put me over the hump since one could assume after treatment I would perform better. However, my fear is that they could interpret it the wrong way which is why I am hesitant to bring it up in the first place.

Thank you!

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Chagolla123 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Thank you!

Chagolla,

Mike

Mr. Spivey,

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about bringing it up while submitting a LOCI. I definitely would go a little more into detail than just saying I was recently diagnosed. My thought is that since most people that are diagnosed with this learning disability normally do a lot better in school/work once under treatment, that they would consider this when going over my numbers upon reevaluating the applicant pool. My numbers are not that bad, but since I was waitlisted I thought perhaps this would put me over the hump since one could assume after treatment I would perform better. However, my fear is that they could interpret it the wrong way which is why I am hesitant to bring it up in the first place.

Thank you!

Dear Admissions Committee:

I am writing to you today to express my continued interest and enthusiasm for the prospect of attending your law school. I would also like to briefly mention a revelation I've had that may be pertinent to my application materials. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. While I would not characterize my academic performance until now as 'bad', I've always had this subtle feeling that I was more capable than my numbers seem to show, that there was some barrier in my way to greater success other than my own aptitude. With this diagnosis, I believe I'll finally overcome that barrier. I would like to convey to this admissions committee that I believe I am equipped to succeed to a degree not quite articulated by my past numbers. I hope that you'll consider my application for admission, and I look forward to any future correspondence.

Regards,
Chagolla123

Something of the like? It's hard to tell, but I suppose it's not likely to *hurt* your chances...

bleachgc

Postby bleachgc » Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Dear Mr. Spivey,

I am uncertain whether I should send in my spring grade to a law school that have me waitlisted. My GPA is currently slightly above their median but if I send in my new transcript it would be 0.01~0.02 below their median. Would you recommend updating the transcript?

Thank you for your time

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Chagolla123 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Thank you!

Chagolla,

Mike

Mr. Spivey,

Thank you!

At this stage, I don't think that it will help your application in the way that you want it to. When they are taking people off the WL, they are focused more on what the incoming class needs, so this isn't really what they are expecting to hear in an update. I think you are right to be hesitant to bring it up. Just my two cents.

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed May 20, 2015 9:14 pm

bleachgc wrote:Dear Mr. Spivey,

I am uncertain whether I should send in my spring grade to a law school that have me waitlisted. My GPA is currently slightly above their median but if I send in my new transcript it would be 0.01~0.02 below their median. Would you recommend updating the transcript?

Thank you for your time

You'll have to send in a final transcript eventually to the school (or LSAC) and many schools specifically ask that you send it in when it is available. But if it is not going to help you, I wouldn't rush to get it in.

Cheers,
KB

haus

Postby haus » Wed May 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Karen is far too fast. She responded before I was able to make my joke about the joys of worrying hundredths of a point on an indicator from a previous year... Oh well, there is always next time. :)

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”