Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

sandwhich

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:15 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:We almost had a winner, so close!

Can we try again if we've already failed? ha

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 pm

No second attempts.

So far we have had I believe 21 guesses. Nothing entirely correct (*hint).

I'll breakdown late afternoon MT if there still isn't a winner and announce.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Last call for guesses! Answer coming in about 40 minutes!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:38 pm

We have a winner!

The winning answer:

AdComm
Reverse Splitter (odd because Splitter is used in admissions but referenced both Splitter and Reverse Splitters until TLS came along)
LOCI

Hill1334 is the big winner!!

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:45 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:We have a winner!

The winning answer:

AdComm
Reverse Splitter (odd because Splitter is used in admissions but referenced both Splitter and Reverse Splitters until TLS came along)
LOCI

damn, you trickster, Spivey.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:We have a winner!

The winning answer:

AdComm
LOCI

damn, you trickster, Spivey.

I almost went with "name three people who have never been in my kitchen" but thought this would be more fun.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Surprised about "Adcomm" being on the list as it has been used for many years on college admissions websites.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Surprised about "Adcomm" being on the list as it has been used for many years on college admissions websites.

Totally possible it slipped in from undergraduate admissions, a thing I know very little of. But no admissions officer I know had ever heard of it until TLS started using it. An interesting thing is that AdComms now use LOCI and Reverse Splitter, but I have never heard one refer to themselves or colleagues as AdComms.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Smart or dumb plan

Ask a school I am on hold at, under both medians, to wait list me until my June LSAT retake? Worried about getting a straight reject before then.

It has worked before, but full disclosure I don't know the whole situation and it is a sophisticated pitch. There are particular words you would want to use/not use 9at least from my experience) but this an area I can't go too deep into as I think I could understandably be construed as selling out our clients. I will just say we do it rarely, that with somewhat limited data it has so far been a very successful approach, that you should think carefully about your situation (urm? softs? etc) and think very carefully about how you word the message. In sum, not dumb sounding.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Thanks. Definitely don't want to sound stupid about it and increase my chances of getting a straight reject. Thanks for all your help in this thread.

Our pleasure. When I win the lottery I will give out all the goods on her and opinion up how I feel about some things to boot! (and build a Godzilla sized robot of Godzilla and keep it in my front yard).

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Is it annoying to admissions office faculty to call to say something you've said in an email? The reason I ask is because 1) the office i'm referring to usually takes at least 24 hrs to respond and 2) time is of the essence.

AlohaFriday

Postby AlohaFriday » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:22 pm

If I register for the June 2015 LSAT, would the schools I have been wait listed at be automatically notified?

Thanks

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi all,

I am slowly getting some interesting cycle data from 4/17 (eg 54 schools show an incline in applications, 141 decline). I will tweet as it comes in and once I can aggregate it will blog it, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

I also owe some people some PM from the past 2 days I hope to get to Sat at the latest.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

AlohaFriday wrote:If I register for the June 2015 LSAT, would the schools I have been wait listed at be automatically notified?

Thanks

Not exactly. All schools to which you have applied will have access to this information, but each school will look at it in different ways. It will appear in your electronic file under a field called something like "future test." So, some schools will run regular reports to look for a "future test" and some will have the "future test" field imbedded when they run regular reports. Other schools will only look for it when they have a specific query about it (usually for the Dec or Feb test). And still others just won't even look at it at all -- especially for June.

So, I hate to give you somewhat of a non-answer, but it just depends on the school.

Cheers,
KB

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:45 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
AlohaFriday wrote:If I register for the June 2015 LSAT, would the schools I have been wait listed at be automatically notified?

Thanks

Not exactly. All schools to which you have applied will have access to this information, but each school will look at it in different ways. It will appear in your electronic file under a field called something like "future test." So, some schools will run regular reports to look for a "future test" and some will have the "future test" field imbedded when they run regular reports. Other schools will only look for it when they have a specific query about it (usually for the Dec or Feb test). And still others just won't even look at it at all -- especially for June.

So, I hate to give you somewhat of a non-answer, but it just depends on the school.

Cheers,
KB

Are these reports and others you have discussed (outstanding seat deposits, specifically) arduous or labor-intensive/time-intensive to run? If not, wouldn't every admissions office run them daily to stay on top of the game? From your comments it seems like many offices do not run them very frequently, if at all.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:12 pm

6778628 wrote:Are these reports and others you have discussed (outstanding seat deposits, specifically) arduous or labor-intensive/time-intensive to run? If not, wouldn't every admissions office run them daily to stay on top of the game? From your comments it seems like many offices do not run them very frequently, if at all.

There is a lot of report-running in admissions offices, that is for sure. What I said was that each school will use the information and the reporting system in different ways. The system is set up in a way that you can set up reports to run daily, weekly, etc. Or you can create a report and run it easily by pressing a button or two. Each office creates reports and uses the system and the data within the system differently depending on what they are looking for on any given day.

It is not unusual - in fact it is very common - for admissions offices to run reports on deposits on a daily basis right around the deposit deadline, but if they don't care about future test dates, they don't look at it or include that information in the report.

My point from above is that if an office has no interest in seeing if their applicants are registered for a future test (or include certain other information in a report), then there is no reason to run that report or include that information in the report.

KB
Last edited by KarenButtenbaum on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks! That makes sense.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:20 am

Here is the full cycle data, as promised: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/near-c ... ycle-data/

Postby 2654815451 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm just curious...

What does pre-evaluation mean for admission decision purposes? For instance, my status checker changed from complete, to pre-evaluation, to committee review. What goes on in pre-evaluation that is different than a review?

Thanks!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:14 pm

KAYCEE wrote:I'm just curious...

What does pre-evaluation mean for admission decision purposes? For instance, my status checker changed from complete, to pre-evaluation, to committee review. What goes on in pre-evaluation that is different than a review?

Thanks!

Each admissions office has different names for different statuses and each has a unique process for sorting and distributing applications to readers. My guess is that your application has been processed and is now in a queue to be reviewed - perhaps assigned to a reviewer, but the reviewer has not read it yet.

In short, it's nothing to worry about - it's just the way that that particular office processes applications.

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:48 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
KAYCEE wrote:I'm just curious...

Thanks!

Each admissions office has different names for different statuses and each has a unique process for sorting and distributing applications to readers. My guess is that your application has been processed and is now in a queue to be reviewed - perhaps assigned to a reviewer, but the reviewer has not read it yet.

In short, it's nothing to worry about - it's just the way that that particular office processes applications.

Cheers,
KB

Just to piggyback on what Karen suggested, it likely means that you went from a huge file drawer (some schools have their office encircled by them floor to wall) or an Efolder...into someone office with numbers of smaller stacks of files or into their email account.

The term "pre-evaluation" is likely simply being used to express this gateway and possibly strategically by the school to connotate movement so that they don't get as many inquires "what is going on with my file?"

What I can't possibly imagine it means is that some crack team of researchers is looking into everything you say to prequalify you. Not even close to that.

Postby 2654815451 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks Karen and Mike!

Lions1913

Postby Lions1913 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 pm

How long is it acceptable to wait after a waitlist to send a LOCI? Can I send one more than two months being WLed if I haven't submitted one already?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”