Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MadwomanintheAttic

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MadwomanintheAttic » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Is your question about timing of admitting this type of WL applicant?

Thanks for answering my question. And yes, I also had a question about the timing of this kind of applicant. I know there's a number of different factors involved, but is it safe to assume that if you're below both medians you'll be waiting pretty late in the game for a decision, since I'm assuming numbers won't be secure until pretty late? I assumed a lot :)

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:27 pm

MadwomanintheAttic wrote:Is your question about timing of admitting this type of WL applicant?

Thanks for answering my question. And yes, I also had a question about the timing of this kind of applicant. I know there's a number of different factors involved, but is it safe to assume that if you're below both medians you'll be waiting pretty late in the game for a decision, since I'm assuming numbers won't be secure until pretty late? I assumed a lot :)

your assumptions are mostly correct. They are more likely to admit when the medians are pretty safe, but there's also the possibility to correct if you admit early (depending on what the WL pool looks like)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:30 am

Short notice but if anyone is in Chicago and wants to get together for coffee tomorrow and talk law school/admissions my crazy schedule has an open slot. PM me I have room for 1 meeting!

RustyRyan

Postby RustyRyan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Short notice but if anyone is in Chicago and wants to get together for coffee tomorrow and talk law school/admissions my crazy schedule has an open slot. PM me I have room for 1 meeting!

You couldn't have said this, like, a day ago? :(

Enjoy Chi!

ETA: Or not since it sounds like you are crazy busy.

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:18 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
MadwomanintheAttic wrote:Is your question about timing of admitting this type of WL applicant?

your assumptions are mostly correct. They are more likely to admit when the medians are pretty safe, but there's also the possibility to correct if you admit early (depending on what the WL pool looks like)

This gets at something I've been curious about for a while: how "safe" are medians typically? Are most schools an withdrawal or two away from losing a point, or is it something along the lines of 10+?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 am

RustyRyan wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Short notice but if anyone is in Chicago and wants to get together for coffee tomorrow and talk law school/admissions my crazy schedule has an open slot. PM me I have room for 1 meeting!

Enjoy Chi!

I had something open up this morningn and I almost pulled a muscle sprinting to post this on here the second it did.

RustyRyan

Postby RustyRyan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
RustyRyan wrote:

Enjoy Chi!

I had something open up this morningn and I almost pulled a muscle sprinting to post this on here the second it did.

Yeah I figured. Sorry, I should have said: the world couldn't have conspired so that I had enough heads up? :(

dustybottoms7

Postby dustybottoms7 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:56 am

Mike or KB-

Two days after submitting my scholarship negotiation email with my offer from school A to school B, school A sent me an unsolicited scholarship bump. School B increased my scholarship without showing them the new offer from School A. Is it frowned upon to turn around and show School B the unsolicited increase from School A and politely ask for more, especially within a week or so of receiving the first bump? I have a conflict with deadlines, otherwise I would wait longer.

Thanks!

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Hey Mike or Karen,

When should i be looking at getting LOR's from professors if I am a current senior but looking to get some work experience before law school? Oi would like to get at least one academic LOR since that is the general rule of thumb

My concern is if I ask professors lets say 2 after graduation when I decide to apply,...they may not remember me as well as they would know and are more likely to put a generic statement that doesn't do as much to separate yourself from the pack.......Is it better for me to ask LOR's now and then just keep them in my LSAC account until I apply ( even though they may be 2 years old when i actually apply)

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Broncos15 wrote:Hey Mike or Karen,

When should i be looking at getting LOR's from professors if I am a current senior but looking to get some work experience before law school? Oi would like to get at least one academic LOR since that is the general rule of thumb

My concern is if I ask professors lets say 2 after graduation when I decide to apply,...they may not remember me as well as they would know and are more likely to put a generic statement that doesn't do as much to separate yourself from the pack.......Is it better for me to ask LOR's now and then just keep them in my LSAC account until I apply ( even though they may be 2 years old when i actually apply)

I'm so glad you asked this question! You should get them now while you are fresh in their minds - one or two is even better to have on file for later. Your CAS subscription is good for 5 years, so you can have them sent to LSAC and they'll be ready to go when you are ready to apply. Higher quality of letters trumps the date on the letter. It's totally fine to have a letter that is a few years old in this case. You'll probably want to supplement with a work-related LOR when it is time to apply too.

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:36 pm

dustybottoms7 wrote:Mike or KB-

Two days after submitting my scholarship negotiation email with my offer from school A to school B, school A sent me an unsolicited scholarship bump. School B increased my scholarship without showing them the new offer from School A. Is it frowned upon to turn around and show School B the unsolicited increase from School A and politely ask for more, especially within a week or so of receiving the first bump? I have a conflict with deadlines, otherwise I would wait longer.

Thanks!

In general, if you've received new information since the last increase, you have a reason to bring it up. Getting scholarship appeal emails is unlikely to be a favorite part of the job, but it generally doesn't hurt to ask as long as you do so nicely and with good reason.

Cheers,
KB

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:18 am

Mike or Karen-

What are your feelings on pineapples on pizza? Unholy combination, or surprisingly pleasant juxtaposition?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:56 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Mike or Karen-

What are your feelings on pineapples on pizza? Unholy combination, or surprisingly pleasant juxtaposition?

I hate hate hate that unholy mix. I'd deny someone if I knew they mixed those and go Britt McHenry at the pizza.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:29 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Mike or Karen-

I hate hate hate that unholy mix. I'd deny someone if I knew they mixed those and go Britt McHenry at the pizza.

Somehow I knew that you were a man of reason, but now we have proof.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:23 am

Pop Trivia Question:

Which of these were made up on TLS:

T14
Softs
AdComm
Reverse Splitter
LOCI

Edit update: please don't post answers here. PM them to me or Karen. Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 am

Reverse Splitter ?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Pop Trivia Question:

T14
Softs
AdComm
Reverse Splitter
LOCI

I know! I know!

I'll text you hahaha

KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:49 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Pop Trivia Question:

T14
Softs
AdComm
Reverse Splitter
LOCI

I know! I know!

I'll text you hahaha

KB

You were supposed to PM me. or you.

Update: No one has it yet.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 am

MikeSpivey wrote:You were supposed to PM me. or you.

Update: No one has it yet.

what can I say? I'm a rule breaker.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:02 am

9:01 am MT update:

No one has it so far.

Actually Karen got it but gave herself two attempts because she is a rule breaker.

cunninghat

Postby cunninghat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:06 am

Last edited by cunninghat on Sat May 30, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:10 am

cunninghat wrote:Hi guys! I had a quick question regarding Transfer LOR for HYS hopefuls.

In your opinion, does it make a substantive difference if your letter of recommendation is "targeted" towards the school? Or are general, "to whom this may concern" letters more than sufficient?

Karen can answer more about HLS but a pet peeve of mine in any letter (admissions, career, etc) is the "To Whom it May Concern" which I think can be construed as lazy. At least say "Dear Admissions Committee"

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

9:13 am update. I have multiple calls coming up so away for next hour +. No one has it yet. It is tough.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:19 am

cunninghat wrote:Hi guys! I had a quick question regarding Transfer LOR for HYS hopefuls.

In your opinion, does it make a substantive difference if your letter of recommendation is "targeted" towards the school? Or are general, "to whom this may concern" letters more than sufficient?

In general, there is no need to target the letter unless the author has a special connection to the school. But SLS does like targeted letters.
The content of the letter really is the most important piece of info -- especially if it is a law school prof letter for transfer.

And, yes, ask them to address it to the Admissions Committee. And definitely not "Dear Sirs" which is my pet peeve.

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:00 pm

We almost had a winner, so close!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”