Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

rion91

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby rion91 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Would it be rude to ask for employment figures before they are released? Deposit deadlines are coming up and it would be nice to know how schools are trending. Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:00 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:You should write a blog post on the effect TLS and LST has had on law school admissions spivey.

That is a pretty crazy good idea. They would be two separate blog posts.

I will mention one thing already. Over the years TLS has gone from damaging to helpful, I believe. In the early days there were so many pieces of advice on here that were so wrong you should flat out do the opposite. It was painful to read. It was a point of discussion among admissions officers. I see a lot of good advice on here now from prospective students. It is wonderful to see.

Mike

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:01 pm

rion91 wrote:Would it be rude to ask for employment figures before they are released? Deposit deadlines are coming up and it would be nice to know how schools are trending. Thanks!

You mean not from 509s but from this cycle? I wouldn't. It would put someone in admissions to work bigtime and they would be cursing your name under their breathe.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Coming tomorrow, a blog on the only 3 things that matter in getting admitted off the WL (there is technically a 4th at the very end but it still takes into account at least 2 of the 3).

I announce now in case people want to guess.

-Mike

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:07 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Coming tomorrow, a blog on the only 3 things that matter in getting admitted off the WL (there is technically a 4th at the very end but it still takes into account at least 2 of the 3).

I announce now in case people want to guess.

-Mike

Your position relative to the school's target LSAT/GPA medians, the strength of your LOCI, and if you help satisfy a demographic (gender, geography, race) metric they are trying to reach?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Blog #1: In honor of Game of Thrones coming this Sunday, an article on what some GoT Characters would score on the LSAT. if anyone makes fun of it I will cry to Karen on the phone.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/what-w ... -the-lsat/

Blog #2 is done and waiting to be edits. And by edits I mean Karen is taking out all of my stupid jokes. It is on how to get off the WL.

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:58 pm

Has a previously offered scholarship offer ever been rescinded when someone tried to negotiate for more? Specifically CCN?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 pm

bklynlady wrote:Has a previously offered scholarship offer ever been rescinded when someone tried to negotiate for more? Specifically CCN?

I've never seen that but I imagine someone did it so rudely it has happened.

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
bklynlady wrote:Has a previously offered scholarship offer ever been rescinded when someone tried to negotiate for more? Specifically CCN?

I've never seen that but I imagine someone did it so rudely it has happened.

Thanks! Yes, its hard to be diplomatic and not seem overly greedy!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:39 pm

MadwomanintheAttic

Postby MadwomanintheAttic » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:42 am

How many LOCI is too many? I sent one when inhad been UR for a while and I sent one after my WL fears were realized. I have stuff to add and I'm visiting next week. I'd like to send another before their seat deposit deadline, but I don't wanna come off as a stalker. I know the admissions folks have enough to read as it is without me adding to their load. Advice?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:02 pm

MadwomanintheAttic wrote:How many LOCI is too many? I sent one when inhad been UR for a while and I sent one after my WL fears were realized. I have stuff to add and I'm visiting next week. I'd like to send another before their seat deposit deadline, but I don't wanna come off as a stalker. I know the admissions folks have enough to read as it is without me adding to their load. Advice?

I would send one formal one, of course, and then stay in touch with much more concise emails just letting them know you are still super interested but also super patient (you can lie about that).

hopeboaltberkeley

Postby hopeboaltberkeley » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:55 am

Do you recommend mailing LOCI's or is an email fine?

haus

Postby haus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:09 am

hopeboaltberkeley wrote:Do you recommend mailing LOCI's or is an email fine?

Just place it in the glove box of the luxury sedan that you place in dean of admissions parking slot, leaving the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. The type of sedan should vary by school:

T25 - Cadalliac CTS or equiv
T14 - Lexus LS or equiv
HYS - Mercedes S class or equiv

You should put in the extra effort to determine the recipients favorite colors, but if you are pinched for time selecting the colors to match the school colors is generally seen as acceptable.

I would also recommend using quality stationary for you letter.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:28 am

I'd just email it but if more than 1 paragraph (and it should be), as an attachment.

Good luck with Boalt or Berkeley :)

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 am

haus wrote:

Just place it in the glove box of the luxury sedan that you place in dean of admissions parking slot, leaving the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. The type of sedan should vary by school:

T25 - Cadalliac CTS or equiv
T14 - Lexus LS or equiv
HYS - Mercedes S class or equiv

You should put in the extra effort to determine the recipients favorite colors, but if you are pinched for time selecting the colors to match the school colors is generally seen as acceptable.

I would also recommend using quality stationary for you letter.

It's cheaper to mail in a LOCI with a plethora of surveillance photos of all relatives and loved ones.

Although, i'd take the Lexus LS over Mercedes S class anyday.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:23 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
It's cheaper to mail in a LOCI with a plethora of surveillance photos of all relatives and loved ones.

This schtick has already been taken. Find your own, PnJ; don't make me start posting pics of your parents' house.

BananaSplit626

Postby BananaSplit626 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your time and advice on this thread.

Let's say an admitted student is deciding between law school or a job offer with the federal government. Assuming all other factors (LSAT, GPA, C&F, etc.) remain the same, would 2-4 years of gainful employment warrant any increase/new merit scholarship funds for someone who previously received little to none? (GPA<25%, LSAT>75%)

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

BananaSplit626 wrote:Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your time and advice on this thread.

Let's say an admitted student is deciding between law school or a job offer with the federal government. Assuming all other factors (LSAT, GPA, C&F, etc.) remain the same, would 2-4 years of gainful employment warrant any increase/new merit scholarship funds for someone who previously received little to none? (GPA<25%, LSAT>75%)

The financial aid award that you would receive in 2-4 years is entirely dependent on what the applicant pool looks like at that time. In very general terms, the money is awarded to the "best" candidates, and the makeup of that category is fluid and is likely to change over the next several years. Also, in general, merit aid is based more on GPA/LSAT than work experience.
So, there is a chance that it would happen if the applicant pool remains the same or continues to go down, but there's also a chance that there will be an increase in applications in 4 years, and you may see very different results.

Cheers,
KB

AnonymousApplicant

Postby AnonymousApplicant » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi, thank you for everything that you all are doing here. But basically, I just have one question: how much do grades from one's masters degree program matter in law school admissions. I'm working on a masters degree now, on scholarship and from an Ivy League school, and anticipate graduating in May with a 3.48 gpa. Though this is not necessarily bad, it is lower than my undergraduate gpa, which was a 3.79. Will this be a problem for me? Being that on top of my undergraduate gpa, my LSAT scores will be high (that is, if prep tests are any indicator) and that I am an AA male, I think that I would be able to put together a strong application, assuming the problem I've mentioned above isn't actually that much of a problem. So what do you think -- should I be worried, or is it not really all that big of a deal? As well, if you think that you can give me maybe a tentative evaluation of the overall strength of my application, on the basis of what I've said here, that would be appreciated too. Thanks.

P.S. Please don't quote my post if you can help it, I intend to alter it later because I don't want my identity to be inferred from what I've written. Again, thanks.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:31 pm

Masters grades don't help very much. The fact that you are in a Masters program can certainly help -- but the grades are almost always 3.7+ and they don't factor into rankings nor have been studied for correlation to law school performance. So a static gpa, no matter how high, won't come much into play.

I SUCCESFULLY ANSWERED WITHOUT QUOTING. I am so proud right now.

haus

Postby haus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I SUCCESFULLY ANSWERED WITHOUT QUOTING. I am so proud right now.

8)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:00 am

Here is a sample transfer Personal Statement I think some will enjoy:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/transf ... statement/

A quick disclaimer. obviously you couldn't use this as a 0L PS, but even the notion of talking about "the law is this, that or the other" is a particularly bad idea for a 0L, and done far too often. So keep in mind transfer with this one.

MadwomanintheAttic

Postby MadwomanintheAttic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:31 pm

A while ago someone posed the question do people below both medians stand a chance when WL, the response was not for most of the summer. Is this still the case is a down cycle? How far does showing interest go for those below both medians? Thanks

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:06 pm

MadwomanintheAttic wrote:A while ago someone posed the question do people below both medians stand a chance when WL, the response was not for most of the summer. Is this still the case is a down cycle? How far does showing interest go for those below both medians? Thanks

Is your question about timing of admitting this type of WL applicant?
Showing interest is always a good idea. No school wants to admit someone who is not interested in attending.

Cheers,
KB

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”