Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 am

rion91 wrote:Any idea if # of LSATs administered this FEB were down this cycle?

I'm going to guess they were up, based on the surge of applicants of late (ie, people take Feb LSAT then apply right after), but it is pure speculation on my end.

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:39 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:31 am

TheodoreKGB wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I'm going to guess they were up, based on the surge of applicants of late (ie, people take Feb LSAT then apply right after), but it is pure speculation on my end.

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

February is up by 4.4%.

Well, I'm embarrassed I didn't know yet happy with my guess! Thanks TheoKGB!

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:46 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:13 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

February is up by 4.4%.

Overall -3.6 for the year though. That's great news for us, even with the small February uptick. I guess people really are shifting their apps from earlier in the cycle to later.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for taking questions.

Do you generally recommend sending LOCI's for transfer applicants?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:50 pm

sandwhich wrote:Thanks for taking questions.

Do you generally recommend sending LOCI's for transfer applicants?

Not really. Just submit a strong application.

Transfer schools often ask why our school plus there is little need to YP in transfer admissions, which is why the loci would have much less punch.

KMart

Postby KMart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm visiting two schools I was WLed at in an effort to get off the WL. Any idea on what to say to the admissions officer who is graciously willing to meet with me? I'm not sure how to properly word, "what is preventing you from admitting me at the moment?" - thanks for any help, as always Mike/Karen.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:18 pm

imKMart wrote:I'm visiting two schools I was WLed at in an effort to get off the WL. Any idea on what to say to the admissions officer who is graciously willing to meet with me? I'm not sure how to properly word, "what is preventing you from admitting me at the moment?" - thanks for any help, as always Mike/Karen.

Hey KMart. Sadly I can't help here, this is something we do extensively for clients and I think some might understandably be upset with us for giving this out for free when they paid for it. That said, I applaud that you are visiting -- be polite and the visit will help!

Bilka

Postby Bilka » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Mike, does it look like this cycle is not turning out as awesome for applicants as we thought?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Bilka wrote:Mike, does it look like this cycle is not turning out as awesome for applicants as we thought?

Still pretty awesome at the top. Also still more awesome than any recent year. But less awesome as early awesome.

appind

Postby appind » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 am

Admissions officers,
is it a good idea to thank the interviewer in the beginning of the interview for giving one the opportunity to interview or something along those lines assuming say it's a harvard skype interview? at the end of the interview before signing off? Both beginning and end are somewhat common in various professional interviews in some industries but it could different in the context of ls admissions.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:32 pm

appind wrote:Admissions officers,
is it a good idea to thank the interviewer in the beginning of the interview for giving one the opportunity to interview or something along those lines assuming say it's a harvard skype interview? at the end of the interview before signing off? Both beginning and end are somewhat common in various professional interviews in some industries but it could different in the context of ls admissions.

It really depends on the interviewer and the tone/flow of the conversation. I see nothing wrong with being polite and appreciative, and saying thanks either at the beginning or the end is not a bad thing in general. I will say that when I was interviewing, I was never expecting anyone to say something like that, so you aren't in a bad place if you don't do it :)

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Predicting the 2015/2016 Admissions Cycle

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/predic ... ons-cycle/

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:23 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Predicting the 2015/2016 Admissions Cycle

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/predic ... ons-cycle/

What do you think about the increase of Feb LSAT test takers generally speaking...I read your Fall 2015-2016 predictions.

The increase in Feb LSAT test takers could very well be since applicants knew Feb LSAT was not as disadvantageous as in the past years for admissions ( especially at the lower ranking schools)....or scholarship negotiations.

Wondering your take since LSATs for Fall 2015 are still down from Fall 2014 LSATs despite this increase of 4.4% of Feb takers

hopeboaltberkeley

Postby hopeboaltberkeley » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Might some schools this cycle ignore an improved February LSAT score?

I ask because a few days after I received a February LSAT score that placed me into a particular school's 75th percentile (up from below its median) I was rejected at that school. My resume, personal statement, etc. haven't been problematic at other points in this cycle, so I suspect that my application was placed in a rejection pile prior to receiving the score.

According to law school numbers data, the vast majority of applicants with the combination of my (new) LSAT and my GPA (between the schools 25th and 50th percentiles) were either accepted or wait-listed. However, most students with my GPA and older LSAT score were rejected.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:11 pm

hopeboaltberkeley wrote:Might some schools this cycle ignore an improved February LSAT score?

I ask because a few days after I received a February LSAT score that placed me into a particular school's 75th percentile (up from below its median) I was rejected at that school. My resume, personal statement, etc. haven't been problematic at other points in this cycle, so I suspect that my application was placed in a rejection pile prior to receiving the score.

According to law school numbers data, the vast majority of applicants with the combination of my (new) LSAT and my GPA (between the schools 25th and 50th percentiles) were either accepted or wait-listed. However, most students with my GPA and older LSAT score were rejected.

Granted I don't know all of the facts, but I tend to agree with your supposition here that your application was placed in a "deny pile" prior to receiving your February score. There are some schools who have a policy of not taking the February score but it is so hard to ignore it -- unless they just don't see it for some reason.
When you get your score from LSAC, it is automatically transferred to your electronic record at the school, so it's in the system. But the have to look for it or see it, so if your application was already reviewed or you didn't tell them that you were taking the test, it may fall through the cracks.

You can always ask for a reconsideration. They may say no, but you've got nothing to lose for asking nicely given this new information. The worst that can happen is that they say no again.

Cheers,
KB

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hopeboaltberkeley

Postby hopeboaltberkeley » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:06 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
hopeboaltberkeley wrote:Might some schools this cycle ignore an improved February LSAT score?

Granted I don't know all of the facts, but I tend to agree with your supposition here that your application was placed in a "deny pile" prior to receiving your February score. There are some schools who have a policy of not taking the February score but it is so hard to ignore it -- unless they just don't see it for some reason.
When you get your score from LSAC, it is automatically transferred to your electronic record at the school, so it's in the system. But the have to look for it or see it, so if your application was already reviewed or you didn't tell them that you were taking the test, it may fall through the cracks.

You can always ask for a reconsideration. They may say no, but you've got nothing to lose for asking nicely given this new information. The worst that can happen is that they say no again.

Cheers,
KB

Thank you very much for this response

Is there a standard procedure for asking for reconsideration across schools, or is it merely a matter of sending a polite email to the admissions department?

doctorofoz

Postby doctorofoz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:02 am

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:32 pm

This would be for Karen I guess, if a couple weeks ago I got my fall grades into LSAC, and it gave me a very small bump (but the difference is now I am over Harvard's 75%), I have already had my JS1, is it worth somehow calling the change to their attention?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:10 pm

hopeboaltberkeley wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Cheers,
KB

Thank you very much for this response

Is there a standard procedure for asking for reconsideration across schools, or is it merely a matter of sending a polite email to the admissions department?

I'd suggest just sending an email to the main admissions address. Some schools may have a "all decisions are final" policy, but the worst that will happen is that they will send you an email to tell you that. Others may wait to do reconsiderations until after all initial decisions are made (like wait until May or June). But it's worth an email inquiry if you want to go!

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Auxilio wrote:This would be for Karen I guess, if a couple weeks ago I got my fall grades into LSAC, and it gave me a very small bump (but the difference is now I am over Harvard's 75%), I have already had my JS1, is it worth somehow calling the change to their attention?

No harm in sending an email to the main admissions address - perhaps address it to your interviewer?

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:03 pm

If anyone has any questions they want addressed in respect to USNWR rankings, let me know and we will try to address them in this podcast:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/podcas ... questions/

NoOneImportant

Postby NoOneImportant » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:If anyone has any questions they want addressed in respect to USNWR rankings, let me know and we will try to address them in this podcast:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/podcas ... questions/

How significant is Wake's drop this year?
Can/should an issue like a drop in the USNWR rankings be brought up in scholarship negotiations or is it bad form?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”