Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

eed333

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby eed333 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Last edited by eed333 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 pm

aad993 wrote:I don't know who either He-man or Highlander is

kids these days...

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 pm

aad993 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
yea yea. You have the power now. Send away!

Of note: In my last two posts I have quoted He-man and The Highlander. I'm so proud right now.

I don't know who either He-man or Highlander is... but in any case, awesome! thanks!

edit: I'm actually super excited to watch highlander now. How did I not know about this.

Please dear goodness only watch the first one.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Please dear goodness only watch the first one.

There can be only one.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:59 am

Here are the prizes we are sponsoring in the USNWR Rankings Competition (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=243939), fyi. If you are nice and polite and like He-Man please try to win #1.

GRAND PRIZE: Round-trip flight for you to the Spivey Consulting Annual Corporate Retreat in Boulder, CO. Will include free, in-person consulting time with the Spivey Consulting Team (http://spiveyconsulting.com/about/) and introductions to law firm partners and associates.

FIRST PRIZE: 30% off any Spivey Consulting service. (Transferable)

SECOND PRIZE: 20% off any Spivey Consulting service. (Transferable)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:01 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
aad993 wrote:I don't know who either He-man or Highlander is

kids these days...

I didn't realize that was possible.

ggnobbq

Postby ggnobbq » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:45 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Also, please please help with even more data by filling out this survey on choosing a law school based on what is important to you. We will blog the results so you can compare with others. Also, we are going to share the aggregate results of this survey with law schools, so that what matters to you will be high on their radar. THANKS !

http://www.jotform.us/form/50473815659161

Hey Spivey, I tried taking the survey but it says "Form over quota". Not sure if you got all the data you need already or if it's an unwanted error.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
landshoes wrote:Hi Mike!

Thanks for this thread.

I have a BA in English with a 3.6 from nearly a decade ago. I recently decided to take a hard science class at my local well-regarded community college. I aced the first semester (A) and signed up for the second semester.

I desperately want to move out of my current area. The only thing holding me back is that I can't quit this class without taking a withdrawal. It doesn't show as a withdrawal pass, either, all withdrawals look the same regardless of whether you're passing. I could maybe get a letter of rec from the professor but I'm not sure.

Given my LSAT and my URM status, I'm looking at the T-6, especially CCN.

Would this look bad to a law school admissions committee who was on the borderline about my academic chops? Will I have to write an addendum about moving? I'm willing to stay for another few months and stick it out if it could really make a big difference in my apps.

Don't let this hold you back from moving. This transcript is not going to factor into your LSAC GPA and you have a very good reason for withdrawing. I don't think this will come up as an issue - especially if they have all of the information from the start.

Cheers,
KB

Thanks!

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Does anybody know why Vandy asks about our outstanding student loans and financial resources ("student indebtedness") in the actual application? No other law school does this. Will it affect our financial aid packages if we have/ don't have outstanding student loans?

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:31 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Does anybody know why Vandy asks about our outstanding student loans and financial resources ("student indebtedness") in the actual application? No other law school does this. Will it affect our financial aid packages if we have/ don't have outstanding student loans?

Thanks!

You should ask them this, we really can't speak for individual schools, especially ones where we have worked.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:33 pm

ggnobbq wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Also, please please help with even more data by filling out this survey on choosing a law school based on what is important to you. We will blog the results so you can compare with others. Also, we are going to share the aggregate results of this survey with law schools, so that what matters to you will be high on their radar. THANKS !

http://www.jotform.us/form/50473815659161

Hey Spivey, I tried taking the survey but it says "Form over quota". Not sure if you got all the data you need already or if it's an unwanted error.

We pay for a certain amount of surveys and my guess means we all full. It is amazing how quickly people did this and the data populated, so thanks to everyone for participating and to you for trying.

Our intern is traveling for her work or some other horrible and inexcusable reason but we will have the data up in a cool infographic as soon as her priorities get back in shape.

Thanks!

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi Mike and Karen!

So, with the dearth of 170+ applicants, you think it's reasonable to expect HYSCCN to dig deeper into their splitter pools to maintain their medians?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:22 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Hi Mike and Karen!

So, with the dearth of 170+ applicants, you think it's reasonable to expect HYSCCN to dig deeper into their splitter pools to maintain their medians?

I think that is possible, but there are still a lot of other factors to consider.
Keep in mind that the very top have always had a surplus of good numbers in their applicant pool. It's not like it used to be, but the pool is still quite talented.
Any way you look at it, it is a good year for applicants!

Cheers,
KB

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Any tips for how to write a LOCI to a law school for which we have already written a why x? I've been waitlisted by this school but I have no idea how to approach the loci. Should I think of new reasons why I love the law school, or expand on the original reasons in my why x?

I know this is a tricky question but I've been struggling with this for some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:28 pm

I disagree a bit with Karen, in that I think it is very likely some will. If you look at the raw, gross numbers not percentages, there simply aren't enough high scores to go around, even at the very top. So most of these schools (but prob not all) will have to go deeper into splitter/reverse splitter or drop entering class size or recalculate C&F issues or hope for a bounce back in the data for the rest of the cycle. But at this rate, again the raw data would say that without any of the previous mentioned adjustments, schools will suffer.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:28 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Any tips for how to write a LOCI to a law school for which we have already written a why x? I've been waitlisted by this school but I have no idea how to approach the loci. Should I think of new reasons why I love the law school, or expand on the original reasons in my why x?

I know this is a tricky question but I've been struggling with this for some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The best thing would be to visit and then LOCI about specific great things about your visit.

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

I disagree a bit with Karen, in that I think it is very likely some will. If you look at the raw, gross numbers not percentages, there simply aren't enough high scores to go around, even at the very top. So most of these schools (but prob not all) will have to go deeper into splitter/reverse splitter or drop entering class size or recalculate C&F issues or hope for a bounce back in the data for the rest of the cycle. But at this rate, again the raw data would say that without any of the previous mentioned adjustments, schools will suffer.

Music to this splitter's ears... thanks to you both!

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

In a general sense, what would be considered major C&F issues, and what would be minor (or major but workable)?

foles

Postby foles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Card

Postby Wild Card » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:54 pm

In light of recent declines in the numbers of applicants and high-scorers, and given the "Fabian tactics" that some T14 schools appear to be adopting this cycle, is it still too late to apply?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:38 am

If adcomms link (or think they linked?) your TLS profile to your application, do they tag you somehow on the apps for all the other people reviewing? Like a post-it on top of the stack of papers that say "TLS user profile: PeanutsNJam, review post history, multiple red flags"

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:49 pm

TheProdigal wrote:
In a general sense, what would be considered major C&F issues, and what would be minor (or major but workable)?

This is such a hard question to answer in general terms, but I would say that this is the spectrum from minor to major:
getting caught smoking pot
Growing lots of pot
dealing pot
dealing lots of drugs
running a meth lab

After smoking pot it quickly starts to become a concerning matter.

Hope that helps!
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Wild Card wrote:In light of recent declines in the numbers of applicants and high-scorers, and given the "Fabian tactics" that some T14 schools appear to be adopting this cycle, is it still too late to apply?

If you have above median numbers for your target school, I would say it is not too late to apply!
but do it soon!

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:56 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If adcomms link (or think they linked?) your TLS profile to your application, do they tag you somehow on the apps for all the other people reviewing? Like a post-it on top of the stack of papers that say "TLS user profile: PeanutsNJam, review post history, multiple red flags"

Adcomms can sometimes link your profile to your real identity, but it's not like they are spending a huge amount of time on it - they are pretty busy. My advice is to not give them a reason to want to track you down. :)

Cheers,
KB

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:21 pm

Am I right in assuming that being WLed with a median LSAT+ GPA>75th is probably not YP? I didn't write the Why X, so I'm trying to figure out if it was that or if I should be thinking about weaknesses to address in my LOCI.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”