MikeSpivey wrote: compass wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Have we missed any questions in this thread of late?
Not a missed question but something that's been on my mind. I was reading the Q&A PDF in the OP for this thread and saw your advice about sending a LOCI to a school before a decision is rendered. Does that advice hold for schools at the top of the rankings where common knowledge is that they assume you're interested and don't want to hear about how much you want to attend? This assumes, I suppose, that you don't have anything substantive to update (new grades, job promotion, etc.).
I suspect my advice was a bit specific because whether you should or should not is nuanced based on many variables, including timing and time from submit, etc. Was there a specific question I was addressing?
That definitely makes sense. I don't think the questions included too much specific information, but the relevant excerpt is below:
Q&A wrote:Question: What are your thoughts on sending a LOCI before a decision? I'm trying to get into X school my application already went complete in January. I know they've already passed me based on other people reporting, and it looks like I may be part of a mass wave of either rejections or wait-lists in mid-March. It's my top choice and I'm just a little worried. Too soon?
Mike: I need to make sure I disclaim I am in no way speaking for X school, but on a much more broad level why would you ever send a LOCI after a decision is made? I would always send before the decision is rendered.
Question: Your comments on a LOCI are very interesting! So if you expect to get wait-listed at a school, should you be sending one if you haven't heard back after a while? As opposed to right after you get WLed, which is what I did for two schools already...?
Mike: I would send a school a very toned down one even if you expect to get admitted to that school. You don't want to say things like "if admitted, this is where I want to go" as I think that may have the potential to have negative consequences on scholarship negotiation, particularly if you later get a large scholarship from a different school and start backing down from the statement. BUT, simply letting a school know you are interested in them can never hurt. I promise. Actually, to be on the hyper-paranoid safe side I shouldn't say never. So, I cannot see a scenario where a very soft "I am very much interested in X law school because of the following reasons..." could hurt.
Question: In regards to the LOCI discussion, what about someone who is below medians, but above 25th? Worth it to send a LOCI prior to a possible WL, or save it for the WL?
Mike: I had dinner with an admissions dean last week and we discussed this. We both agree that you want to express an interest through a LOCI before a decision is rendered and then again after if you are wait-listed. As a side note, please don't, anyone, if you are denied (this happens and is quite frankly painful). The "before a decision" applies to everyone, including if you are above both medians. Some schools may yield protect and consider this very valuable and worth the effort.