Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:02 pm

Thinking about the Super Bowl has me also thinking about an even greater betting phenomena, the TLS USNWR Rankings Prediction Pool.

For those unaware, we (Spivey Consultuing Group) helped to sponsor some of it last year. For the Grand Prize we flew the winner 'Cannibal Ox' out to visit me in Denver, I picked him up in the airport, we set him up with a visit and meetings with a very high-end firm here, and we took him to a coffee place and talked career and OCI advice before he flew back home. I think he wrote about the experience in the USNWR Rankings Game thread and I think he thought it was a valuable experience. I even got a thank you card hint hint for future winners.

Anyway, I'd like to do that again, or something similar. I even *might* be able to involve a celebrity of sorts in the prize (a lawyer who you have seen on TV but didn't know is a lawyer).

I'll get in touch with North, who ran the pool last year and report back. Let me know if you are interested, please, before I start cannibalizing air miles or calling firms we prob need a critical mass of participants. Thanks!

js1663

Postby js1663 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:12 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Thinking about the Super Bowl has me also thinking about an even greater betting phenomena, the TLS USNWR Rankings Prediction Pool.

For those unaware, we (Spivey Consultuing Group) helped to sponsor some of it last year. For the Grand Prize we flew the winner 'Cannibal Ox' out to visit me in Denver, I picked him up in the airport, we set him up with a visit and meetings with a very high-end firm here, and we took him to a coffee place and talked career and OCI advice before he flew back home. I think he wrote about the experience in the USNWR Rankings Game thread and I think he thought it was a valuable experience. I even got a thank you card hint hint for future winners.

Anyway, I'd like to do that again, or something similar. I even *might* be able to involve a celebrity of sorts in the prize (a lawyer who you have seen on TV but didn't know is a lawyer).

I'll get in touch with North, who ran the pool last year and report back. Let me know if you are interested, please, before I start cannibalizing air miles or calling firms we prob need a critical mass of participants. Thanks!

I wasn't around for last years thread but it sounds awesome. Count me in.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:55 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Thinking about the Super Bowl has me also thinking about an even greater betting phenomena, the TLS USNWR Rankings Prediction Pool.

I would be happy to participate as well.

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 pm

Auxilio wrote:

I would be happy to participate as well.

Me too

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:47 pm

I would be happy to win this contest

Others would be happy to enter, and I say let them.
I'll settle for being happy winning :)

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Dear Dean of Admissions,

I want to personally thank you for the packet that arrived this morning in the mail. I was eagerly awaiting an acceptance letter with baited breath. I want you to know that your envelope sat on the kitchen island for minutes, as I contemplated opening it or waiting for my wife to come home and open it together.

Unable to contain my excitement, I opened the packet and was over joyed with the materials inside.

Now, maybe next time, please don't send marketing materials to people who already applied.
Its cruel
It's heartless
Or maybe its a test to prepare us for the transition to 1l life this Fall.

Kind of like putting someone on a stress test treadmill.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:30 pm

storpappa wrote:Dear Dean of Admissions,

I want to personally thank you for the packet that arrived this morning in the mail. I was eagerly awaiting an acceptance letter with baited breath. I want you to know that your envelope sat on the kitchen island for minutes, as I contemplated opening it or waiting for my wife to come home and open it together.

Unable to contain my excitement, I opened the packet and was over joyed with the materials inside.

Now, maybe next time, please don't send marketing materials to people who already applied.
Its cruel
It's heartless
Or maybe its a test to prepare us for the transition to 1l life this Fall.

Kind of like putting someone on a stress test treadmill.

Ouch. What school? (or feel free to PM me it)

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:37 pm

I'd be in on that pool

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:16 pm

RaiderRed wrote:I'd be in on that pool

I'll email the mighty North and see if we can get it fired up.

The ranking *might* come out a bit later this year because USNWR was a week later in collecting the data fyi. Also, we've been fortunate enough to break them a day early in years past and if we can this year we will do it on twitter again.

green.tea

Postby green.tea » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:04 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:A heads-up on a vastly different kind of blog we are working on. It's essentially "7 things good deans do well"

I'm not too sure how much that will appeal to people here, but I suspect a few. In fact, I can think of a few I suspect (who may want to be a dean or academic).

It should be up by Wednesday or Thursday.

Still working on this blog? Your insight is always appreciated. :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:42 pm

green.tea wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:A heads-up on a vastly different kind of blog we are working on. It's essentially "7 things good deans do well"

I'm not too sure how much that will appeal to people here, but I suspect a few. In fact, I can think of a few I suspect (who may want to be a dean or academic).

Yep, worked on it today. We also sent it out to a few deans whose names we use to make sure all was okay by them. Almost done. Hopefully we will have it up tomorrow!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 pm

How ironic, being that the hashtag of this tweet is "Kaplan180"

Also, how can someone be "competitive anywhere" with just one metric, say a 170?

Le sigh.

KaplanLSATPrep (@KaplanLSATPrep)
2/3/15, 6:52 PM
If you are in the 170+ score range, you are competitive anywhere. Don't freak out about one question. Perfection not necessary. #Kaplan180

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:51 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:How ironic, being that the hashtag of this tweet is "Kaplan180"

Also, how can someone be "competitive anywhere" with just one metric, say a 170?

Le sigh.

KaplanLSATPrep (@KaplanLSATPrep)
2/3/15, 6:52 PM
If you are in the 170+ score range, you are competitive anywhere. Don't freak out about one question. Perfection not necessary. #Kaplan180

Haha motivating message: "Perfection not necessary"

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:04 am

During the chat they mention lucky for you, you can get more wrong and score higher

Postby 2654815451 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm

Should I schedule an appointment with an admissions officer to help my chances of getting off the waitlist? The school's website says they do not do personal evaluative interviews but they would be happy to meet and discuss the school. Would scheduling the appointment and treating it as an interview (dressing up, best behavior, etc.) help at all?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm

KAYCEE wrote:Should I schedule an appointment with an admissions officer to help my chances of getting off the waitlist? The school's website says they do not do personal evaluative interviews but they would be happy to meet and discuss the school. Would scheduling the appointment and treating it as an interview (dressing up, best behavior, etc.) help at all?

Yes you should! Treat it as if it can help, because it most certainly can. You don't have to go crazy on the dress-up but business casual or something professional, yes.

eed333

Postby eed333 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Last edited by eed333 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:14 pm

aad993 wrote:Dear Spivey,

If a school is ignoring you (ex. no status changes ever), and you're well above both 75ths, wrote a Why X essay, and are legitimately interested in the school, what would you do?

Thanks,

aad993

Have you visited yet?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:25 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
aad993 wrote:Dear Spivey,

If a school is ignoring you (ex. no status changes ever), and you're well above both 75ths, wrote a Why X essay, and are legitimately interested in the school, what would you do?

Thanks,

aad993

Have you visited yet?

How long has it been since you went complete? Some schools just take a little time with their decisions, but if it has been too long, you might want to contact them to make sure all is well. If you went complete two weeks ago, it might be too soon.

Postby 2654815451 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
KAYCEE wrote:Should I schedule an appointment with an admissions officer to help my chances of getting off the waitlist? The school's website says they do not do personal evaluative interviews but they would be happy to meet and discuss the school. Would scheduling the appointment and treating it as an interview (dressing up, best behavior, etc.) help at all?

Yes you should! Treat it as if it can help, because it most certainly can. You don't have to go crazy on the dress-up but business casual or something professional, yes.

Okay, thank you for your input. So if I wore a black pant suit and heels that wouldn't be too much?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:51 pm

KAYCEE wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Okay, thank you for your input. So if I wore a black pant suit and heels that wouldn't be too much?

That strikes me as very normal. Not too much at all.

Postby 2654815451 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
KAYCEE wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

That strikes me as very normal. Not too much at all.

Great, thanks! I scheduled it for tomorrow.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:14 pm

green.tea wrote:

This should be up in an hour or two, thanks for your patience!

eed333

Postby eed333 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Last edited by eed333 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”