Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

fireflies

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby fireflies » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:How consistent are admissions with rankings? I was dinged at UT Austin. Does this mean I have no chance at T14?

i've gotten in to georgetown, duke, cornell in t14 so far
and got dinged at UT

i wouldnt worry too much

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:14 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:How consistent are admissions with rankings? I was dinged at UT Austin. Does this mean I have no chance at T14?

Every office does things at least slightly differently. At times dramatically differently. So it is very hard to extrapolate overall results from one outcome. Put another way, I have seen scores of people denied at UT but admitted t14.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:16 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Every office does things at least slightly differently. At times dramatically differently. So it is very hard to extrapolate overall results from one outcome. Put another way, I have seen scores of people denied at UT but admitted t14.

There also appears to be evidence that one can be denied by UT law and still become POTUS, although it might help to have some family connections.

Skool

Postby Skool » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Thinking about visiting a Top 10 school this week to attend one of their "informational interviews" and maybe sit in on a class.

When meeting with the admissions person on call, any tips on how to make myself stand out? I figured I'd ask questions I'm generally curious about (research opportunities with professors, clincal/externship experiences, summer funding for PI work). Planned to end by emphasizing how honored I would be to attend there and that I would look forward to hearing from them soon.

Any other questions I should ask or tips?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:33 pm

UT has to matriculate 65% residents so OOSers are at a big disadvantage. I wouldn't read too much into it.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm

A heads-up on a vastly different kind of blog we are working on. It's essentially "7 things good deans do well"

I'm not too sure how much that will appeal to people here, but I suspect a few. In fact, I can think of a few I suspect (who may want to be a dean or academic).

It should be up by Wednesday or Thursday.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:A heads-up on a vastly different kind of blog we are working on. It's essentially "7 things good deans do well"

I'm not too sure how much that will appeal to people here, but I suspect a few. In fact, I can think of a few I suspect (who may want to be a dean or academic).

It should be up by Wednesday or Thursday.

Let's be real - there's only one that matters for all of us. They accept me (with copious amounts of scholarship money :) ).

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Want to speculate on why UVA is giving out lots of full rides to below median people?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Want to speculate on why UVA is giving out lots of full rides to below median people?

Well, it's peculiar. One would guess that it is a combination of a large amount of money to give thus year (either a one-time dump from central university or their dean is a great fundraiser) + they are projecting other schools suffer drops and trying to beat them to the punch of shoring up their numbers. BUT, when you do have a lot of money to give, AND it is a down year in applications, that is PRECISELY when you try to make your move...not hedge your bets.

So my best guess is either once again the LSN/TLS data simply is very small (I vaguely remember an admissions colleague calculating it was 4% of the entire pool one year), or they aren't doing things the way they should?

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Want to speculate on why UVA is giving out lots of full rides to below median people?

Well, it's peculiar. One would guess that it is a combination of a large amount of money to give thus year (either a one-time dump from central university or their dean is a great fundraiser) + they are projecting other schools suffer drops and trying to beat them to the punch of shoring up their numbers. BUT, when you do have a lot of money to give, AND it is a down year in applications, that is PRECISELY when you try to make your move...not hedge your bets.

So my best guess is either once again the LSN/TLS data simply is very small (I vaguely remember an admissions colleague calculating it was 4% of the entire pool one year), or they aren't doing things the way they should?

Not exactly on topic (although I am a little puzzled over UVA's admissions process), but regarding how representative the TLS/LSN crowd is - while I have no problem believing it only covers ~4% of the total applicant pool, the percentage of people who apply to/get accepted at the top schools that are on here and LSN is presumably much, much, higher, no?

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm

In what timeframe should I attempt to negotiate with schools? Should I start now and then renegotiate closer to the depositing date or just wait until the end of Feb/early march to even start?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:58 pm

RaiderRed wrote:In what timeframe should I attempt to negotiate with schools? Should I start now and then renegotiate closer to the depositing date or just wait until the end of Feb/early march to even start?

Don't start until mid-late Feb please. They hate the first wave of people that try.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:03 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
RaiderRed wrote:In what timeframe should I attempt to negotiate with schools? Should I start now and then renegotiate closer to the depositing date or just wait until the end of Feb/early march to even start?

Don't start until mid-late Feb please. They hate the first wave of people that try.

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:21 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Not exactly on topic (although I am a little puzzled over UVA's admissions process), but regarding how representative the TLS/LSN crowd is - while I have no problem believing it only covers ~4% of the total applicant pool, the percentage of people who apply to/get accepted at the top schools that are on here and LSN is presumably much, much, higher, no?

Yes, I think TLS is represents the top of the applicant much more than 4%. I would guess as far up as 50%. In other words, maybe up tp 50% of the top 10% of applicants are on TLS.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Yes, I think TLS is represents the top of the applicant much more than 4%. I would guess as far up as 50%. In other words, maybe up tp 50% of the top 10% of applicants are on TLS.

Based on self-reported JS1s and interview slots taken on the Harvard 2018 thread it seems like about 25% of people competitive at Harvard were active on that thread. Given that I would agree with a figure around 50% on TLS as a whole.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:12 am

Is non-monetary negotiation possible/accepted practice? I can't think of a better example, but something like a garage parking permit, or something.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:24 pm

usn26 wrote:Is non-monetary negotiation possible/accepted practice? I can't think of a better example, but something like a garage parking permit, or something.

Lol, how would you say it?

"Dear Columbia,

I appreciate your scholarship offer and, again, am honored by the acceptance. However, financial concerns are a primary consideration for selecting the law school that I will ultimately matriculate at. I understand times are tough. In this economy, it may be difficult to offer me much more money. Since Chicago has offered me $20,000/year, I was wondering if you would be willing to make up for the difference in the following:

- Vending machine vouchers
- Campus store credit
- Parking permits
- Tickets to school-sponsored events
- A Knicks season pass
- A maid service

A hopeful student,

usn26"

june1

Postby june1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:41 pm

I read all the time how a lot of admissions interviews are done after a decision to admit has been tentatively made, and they're just checking to make sure the candidate isn't incapable of speech or very rude or something like that. Any funny anecdotes of candidates who interviewed their way out of admission?

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Haha, something like that.

Seriously, though, if school A has free fitness center access, or cheap parking, or summer PI funding, or something and school B doesn't, and that's an important factor, maybe it could be negotiable. I don't know.

Irish11

Postby Irish11 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:53 pm

june1 wrote:I read all the time how a lot of admissions interviews are done after a decision to admit has been tentatively made, and they're just checking to make sure the candidate isn't incapable of speech or very rude or something like that. Any funny anecdotes of candidates who interviewed their way out of admission?

I'll be Skyping with a T6 tomorrow from the dry stock room of the bar I work at, so I might have one for you soon, haha

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm

june1 wrote:I read all the time how a lot of admissions interviews are done after a decision to admit has been tentatively made, and they're just checking to make sure the candidate isn't incapable of speech or very rude or something like that. Any funny anecdotes of candidates who interviewed their way out of admission?

Karen got Cat-bombed doing a HLS interview but since she loved cats I think the person got a bump.

Edit: "loves" cats. I imagine she still does.

fra

Postby fra » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

Karen got Cat-bombed doing a HLS interview but since she loved cats I think the person got a bump.

I don't know what cat-bombing is - but it may have happened during my Harvard interview as well. My cat tries to sit on my laptop keyboard whenever I skype - I had to lock her in another room mid interview. She's adorable, and I got into Harvard - so it obviously didn't hurt too badly.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:03 pm

common wisdom on tls is that prior criminal/disciplinary history, as long as it's for minor stuff, doesn't matter that much for admissions as long as you disclose it

but that's gotta be one of the most interesting parts of an application, right? if i were reading applications i would flip right to the c&f addendum

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:03 pm

fats provolone wrote:common wisdom on tls is that prior criminal/disciplinary history, as long as it's for minor stuff, doesn't matter that much for admissions as long as you disclose it

but that's gotta be one of the most interesting parts of an application, right? if i were reading applications i would flip right to the c&f addendum

Exactly what I used to do.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

How many cats does she have. There is a well known equation established by some famous scientist fuck that for every cat over 1 a woman has, she becomes 2^x more crazy. I guess what I am trying to say, Spivey, is determine this number, and then protect yourself.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”