Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:34 am

green.tea wrote:LSAC has updated applicant/application data posted as of 1/16/15. When will updated numbers be out broken down by region, race/ethnicity, and LSAT scores? Thanks!

I checked, nothing.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:34 am

No more guesses for my LCM game?

packer_22

Postby packer_22 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm guessing Vanderbilt.

ChoboPie

Postby ChoboPie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Harvey Mudd? Feels so random, but I feel like it's gotta be a not too big school with lots of math/physics people.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Still no correct answer. It's hard!~

jimmymac

Postby jimmymac » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Washington & Lee? Shot in the dark

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:38 pm

FIU?

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Transylvania

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:41 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:Transylvania

winner! Well done.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:52 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

winner! Well done.

Thanks! You mentioned it at some point earlier in the thread and for some reason it stuck with me. Hope this makes up for indirectly causing the "Spivey sense" seizure meme... (Although it was pretty awesome, as long as you didn't look at it for more than 10 seconds).

haus

Postby haus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

winner! Well done.

And all this time I thought this was only a (partial) name for a campy movie...

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:19 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:

winner! Well done.

Is there any chance you could show their LCM?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Auxilio wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

winner! Well done.

Is there any chance you could show their LCM?

This was like in 2001/2002. I guess I could check with LSAC. Or Transylvania. I think it *may* have been a 168 only because that number comes to mind.

Clearly what they had going for them was enough test-takers that an LCM was reported, but likely just enough. Also they had a very active pre-law advisor (who looked like Wolf Blitzer).

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Do schools care about their 25/75 percentiles or is it strictly medians? If they do care, then why is it important? Does it factor into rankings at all? What priorities are set in admissions offices when it comes to holding or raising 25/75 percentiles?

I'm just fact checking some reasoning I once heard but that may have been faulty. I don't want an incorrect explanation echoing around the TLS.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:29 pm

Dirigo wrote:Do schools care about their 25/75 percentiles or is it strictly medians? If they do care, then why is it important? Does it factor into rankings at all? What priorities are set in admissions offices when it comes to holding or raising 25/75 percentiles?

I'm just fact checking some reasoning I once heard but that may have been faulty. I don't want an incorrect explanation echoing around the TLS.

The very short answer is "some do, some don't" and you can see the evidence of this and which do very nicely in the google spreadsheet on class profiles. The reasons behind this are rather complex. I'm not sure it really bears getting into unless you want a boring blog post.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:34 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Do schools care about their 25/75 percentiles or is it strictly medians? If they do care, then why is it important? Does it factor into rankings at all? What priorities are set in admissions offices when it comes to holding or raising 25/75 percentiles?

The very short answer is "some do, some don't" and you can see the evidence of this and which do very nicely in the google spreadsheet on class profiles. The reasons behind this are rather complex. I'm not sure it really bears getting into unless you want a boring blog post.

I updated the spreadsheet so I'm definitely a stats wonk. A blog post would actually be great if you could add that to your busy queue.

sneakyleo

Postby sneakyleo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

I updated the spreadsheet so I'm definitely a stats wonk. A blog post would actually be great if you could add that to your busy queue.

I'd be curious about this as well!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:21 pm

I know of 3 real reasons why a school would care. I don't think you guys could possibly know 1 of them (if you do I'll hire you) but I bet you can guess the other two. or is this guessing game already getting old?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:24 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I know of 3 real reasons why a school would care. I don't think you guys could possibly know 1 of them (if you do I'll hire you) but I bet you can guess the other two. or is this guessing game already getting old?

I imagine law schools care because if the rating system, for whatever reason, switches to weighting the 25th and 75th medians instead of the actual median, this could affect their ranking.

True?

Quippy

Postby Quippy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I know of 3 real reasons why a school would care. I don't think you guys could possibly know 1 of them (if you do I'll hire you) but I bet you can guess the other two. or is this guessing game already getting old?

Sorry to spoil the guessing game but I came across this blog post earlier and I still had the tab open: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/new-bl ... -answered/

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Quippy wrote:

Sorry to spoil the guessing game but I came across this blog post earlier and I still had the tab open: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/new-bl ... -answered/

Thank God you found that. I was going to write one tomorrow. Totally forgot I already did.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 am

Did we miss any questions through all the chaos of me asking my own silly trivia?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 am

How consistent are admissions with rankings? I was dinged at UT Austin. Does this mean I have no chance at T14?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:57 am

Auxilio wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
blacklungz wrote:I've asked around and am curious to get your take on this question.

Do schools look at your LSAT score in accordance to your school's average score? I received a 171, but my school's average is a 145. All else equal, will my 171 look "stronger" compared to an applicant who went to a more prestigious school (with more resources and a higher average LSAT score)?

If it matters, I have the highest LSAT score coming out of my undergraduate institution ever. Our pre-law advisor emailed me congratulating me about this.

I have read elsewhere that if it has any effect (which is doubtful) it makes your GPA look less impressive because you are competing against in theory less impressive individuals.

Auxilio is more right than wrong about the LCM (I say it like that because I can't speak for all 1,000 admissions officers here).

How did I use it? -- to get a gauge for the school. You see hundreds of schools in admissions that the typical person has never heard of. Like, for example, Malaspina College. So you use it to see where it fits in relative to schools you have heard of.

Who wants to guess the school with the highest LCM, at least for more than several years in a row when I was reading files? It is in the South.

Can you give me some idea of how well you would view a school with the following breakdown of each percentile category:
95 & up 90- 94 85- 89 80- 84 75- 79 70- 74 65- 69 60- 64 55- 59 50- 54 45- 49 40- 44 35- 39 30- 34 25- 29 20- 24 0- 19
6 8 7 9 6 7 6 6 6 5 5 6 4 4 3 4 8

It is obviously above average, but I am not sure how far above average it is.

I don't know of a single admissions officer who has ever looked at those, and I polled several since you posted. We just look at the LCM and call it a day.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:28 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”