Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
0
No votes
2. Podcast advice
0
No votes
3. Video advice
0
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
0
No votes
5. Tweet it
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 0

secadc11
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby secadc11 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm curious - when schools state they have students hailing from xx number of states, how do they get that number?

Specifically, are they basing it off students' places of birth, or current address/address on their resume, or some other way? Thanks in advance.

xonimi
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby xonimi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Hello,

I have been helping my dad with his business for about a year now. The business wasn't doing so well so he had to let a couple people go and I jumped in to take care of certain responsibilities.
I know there are a few posts about similar situations but I haven't been able to find one about how to exactly put this on the resume.

I'm assuming since it was unpaid it would be considered 'Volunteer', right?

Do I state that it's a family business? Maybe as the first bullet point?

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 pm

secadc11 wrote:I'm curious - when schools state they have students hailing from xx number of states, how do they get that number?

Specifically, are they basing it off students' places of birth, or current address/address on their resume, or some other way? Thanks in advance.


I am sure there is more than one way to calculate this, but it s likely from your "permanent state of residence" which is something you've filled out through LSAC or your permanent address.

Cheers,
KB

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:56 pm

xonimi wrote:Hello,

I have been helping my dad with his business for about a year now. The business wasn't doing so well so he had to let a couple people go and I jumped in to take care of certain responsibilities.
I know there are a few posts about similar situations but I haven't been able to find one about how to exactly put this on the resume.

I'm assuming since it was unpaid it would be considered 'Volunteer', right?

Do I state that it's a family business? Maybe as the first bullet point?


It does not necessarily need to go in the Volunteer section of the resume; I see this as experience, so it might go in your experience section.
Name the company and give yourself a fitting but not exaggerating title. the fact that it is a family business does not necessarily take away from your experience.

Cheers,
KB

Danif2
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:29 am

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Danif2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:24 am

Thank you for taking a question from me, I am so worried and any advice you can give would be so appreciated! So I'm having a very hard time deciding what is the right thing to do right now. I have a 3.87 gpa and a 161 lsat score. My top two choices are Ucla and usc, I would be so happy at either. I have sent in the apps as of yesterday but I found out they are in hold because I signed up for the February lsat. I think I could do a bit better like 163-165 range. Is it worth it to hold and wait, even though it will be so late because they won't review my application until the feb score is in, or do I take a chance with my gpa and lsat score. I think I have pretty strong softy I worked a ton during undergrad and received several academic awards/honors. Also I think my personal statement is very good (then again everyone probably does). Please advise!!!!!!!

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Danif2 wrote:Thank you for taking a question from me, I am so worried and any advice you can give would be so appreciated! So I'm having a very hard time deciding what is the right thing to do right now. I have a 3.87 gpa and a 161 lsat score. My top two choices are Ucla and usc, I would be so happy at either. I have sent in the apps as of yesterday but I found out they are in hold because I signed up for the February lsat. I think I could do a bit better like 163-165 range. Is it worth it to hold and wait, even though it will be so late because they won't review my application until the feb score is in, or do I take a chance with my gpa and lsat score. I think I have pretty strong softy I worked a ton during undergrad and received several academic awards/honors. Also I think my personal statement is very good (then again everyone probably does). Please advise!!!!!!!


yes, it is worth it to hold - the timing is not as important this year as it has been in previous years. A better score later in the cycle is still a better score, and that matters.
Cheers,
KB

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 pm

iVi wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
iVi wrote:In the name of saving precious space in a two-page PS, is it OK to use an acronym (without writing it out) if the full title is included in your resume?

Normally wouldn't even consider it, but the full title takes up half a line...

Thanks in advance for your help!


Can you do the full name once, parenthesize the acronym, and then use that for the rest, or still over 2 pages?


There are actually two acronyms (worked for an NGO), one for the org and the other for my title. Together they literally take up a line.

My fear is that not writing it out will really rub some admin the wrong way, but it's just so much space!


I'm not a big fan of being blasted with acronyms. Surely there must be another way to save a small amount of space (there always is). Also, apologies for calling you Shirley (no one ever gets my old person movie quotes :(...)

2654815451
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby 2654815451 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Karen and/or Mike:

This may have been discussed before, but could you elaborate on how adcoms handle the application process?

About how many people usually view one person's application? Do they all or majorly have to agree to admit someone? Does it take so long once under review because they aren't sure, or because they just haven't really looked/read through the application yet?

Thanks for answering so many questions!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Dec LSAT up .8 %. Seems like a rather trivial increase:

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Karen and/or Mike,

Just wondering when is the most appropriate time to begin emailing schools regarding scholarship negotiation? February? March? Later?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11948
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:02 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Dec LSAT up .8 %. Seems like a rather trivial increase:
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

Please read the tea leaves, Spivey.
It would probably be more meaningful if last February wasn't such a false alarm.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Dec LSAT up .8 %. Seems like a rather trivial increase:
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

Please read the tea leaves, Spivey.
It would probably be more meaningful if last February wasn't such a false alarm.


You mean that things went slightly up last Feb and all kinds of people were screaming how the slide was over? Yea that was silly.

foles
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby foles » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 pm

.
Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Traveller
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Traveller » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:40 pm

Mike and/or Karen:

First, thanks for this thread, simply lurking around has aided me immensely. Second, I applied to a few target schools earlier in the cycle and was accepted with a 164. I retook the Dec LSAT and got a 170. This definitely changes my target schools. However, one of the schools I was admitted to earlier gave me a scholarship, and I would definitely consider attending if the amount was bumped up. Is there any polite way to approach this with the admissions, or will they be automatically notified of my bump?

Thanks!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Brace yourselves. Much data coming on our website.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Post removed.

Postby santoki » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSCHI
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby LSCHI » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Brace yourselves. Much data coming on our website.

Is there any data that combines lsat and gpa to show the number of applicants?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:40 pm

LSCHI wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Brace yourselves. Much data coming on our website.

Is there any data that combines lsat and gpa to show the number of applicants?


At the top:

Total 17,506 (applicants) -9.0% 116,256 (applications) -11.1%

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby rebexness » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pylon
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby pylon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:51 pm

rebexness wrote:Aw yeah. 8)

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:51 pm

santoki wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Brace yourselves. Much data coming on our website.


Image


Image

Nathanael
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Nathanael » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 pm

spiveyconsulting.com wrote:Last year at this time, we had 35% of the preliminary final applicant count.


Do you have any data about how much of the preliminary final applicant count had applied at this point last year for the different score brackets?

It would seem like high-performers would be more likely to submit early, and would thus be overrepresented at this point in the cycle, but I would be interested to find out if that were true or not.

Edit, kind of answering myself here:

Last cycle ended with 592 applicants with a score in the top bracket. This YTD there are 372, meaning if there was a 20% drop last cycle YTD there should have been 465 applicants, 78.5% the final count. Am I missing something?
Last edited by Nathanael on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foles
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby foles » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:02 pm

.
Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Meow Meowsworth
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:03 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
LSCHI wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Brace yourselves. Much data coming on our website.

Is there any data that combines lsat and gpa to show the number of applicants?


At the top:

Total 17,506 (applicants) -9.0% 116,256 (applications) -11.1%


Wow, there are currently fewer male applicants than female applicants due to the larger drop in male applicants. Is this the first year that female applicants have outnumbered male applicants? I wonder if it'll hold all cycle.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Meow Meowsworth wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
LSCHI wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Brace yourselves. Much data coming on our website.

Is there any data that combines lsat and gpa to show the number of applicants?


At the top:

Total 17,506 (applicants) -9.0% 116,256 (applications) -11.1%


Wow, there are currently fewer male applicants than female applicants due to the larger drop in male applicants. Is this the first year that female applicants have outnumbered male applicants? I wonder if it'll hold all cycle.


I'm near certain it is not, because I feel like that same fact was reported years ago at an LSAC Conference I attended. Karen?


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest