Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MattM

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MattM » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Hello,

I had another GPA related question in general for T14 schools admissions.....would there be a material difference If I applied to law school with a 3.57 GPA or a 3.64 GPA? ( my PT average on LSAT is 168-172, in this hypothetical, assume i would have the exact same LSAT for in both GPA scenarios and my test day score would fall into that 168-172 range)

I am excited for a May 2015 graduation and crossing the graduation stage...but I wonder if it would be better to add a minor and graduate in Dec 2015 instead ( the minor would be something I am interested in and not just simply to boost GPA)

In the graduation Dec 2015 scenario, i would have my courses spread out so my LSAT prep would not be impacted much, and even while taking courses I could still get some work experience as the courses in the minor would be online so I would have flexibility in time as well

I don't want my excitement of finally being able to cross the graduation stage lead me into making the wrong choice

peger

Postby peger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:37 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
peger wrote:As far as softs go, is substantial experience abroad and fluency in an asian language a big draw, or pretty common?

I wouldn't say it is common, but it is not entirely unique. But that doesn't mean it is bad by any means -- it is a good thing to have and it is certainly a feather on the scale.

Cheers,
KB

Thanks! Very good to know.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:22 am

Are you gonna do another applicant breakdown to include Dec test takers?

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:35 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Are you gonna do another applicant breakdown to include Dec test takers?

Do it!

Pleeeeaaase

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:46 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Are you gonna do another applicant breakdown to include Dec test takers?

Do you mean like this?

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/first- ... ion-cycle/

If yes, we can't really "do" that. Only LSAC has it. But, because we are super cool like Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs when it is out we get and will share! I suspect there will be a January update.

bsdfree

Postby bsdfree » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by bsdfree on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeezus

Postby Yeezus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:24 pm

If I am applying this cycle and my December LSAT score is significantly better than my June and September scores, should I wait for fee waivers, or get my applications out ASAP?

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:11 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:If I am applying this cycle and my December LSAT score is significantly better than my June and September scores, should I wait for fee waivers, or get my applications out ASAP?

Part of this is going to depend on your current financial situation, but I would at least solicit fee waivers from the schools you want to apply to.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:14 pm

^ agreed. Plus many of my solicited fee waivers came within the same day as requested

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:30 am

I'll defend you when the spivey scandal breaks.

That is good, because I will be in Las Vegas over New years

I can already see the headlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-EGKuotUMw

although you would need the Don Johnson/Miami Vice suit and the be smoking the cigarette to fully sell it...

Back from Las Vegas and my new year's Eve 5k. Also my heist. I made it further than the Miami vice guy in the video above but not too much further, photographic evidence provided by the Las Vegas PD.

[imgImage][/img]

Apologies for being a bit slow on here and PMs. I'll try to catch up over the next few days.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:53 pm

A heads-up on something(s).

AALS is on its second day. This is the big law school conference attended by deans/faculty/media, and often there is good info and data shared there. Today NALP is presenting their employment data and I suspect this will be up somewhere online, either at NALP's site, at the AALS site, or both.

Also, I checked yesterday about the all important LSAC data. Nothing is out yet as far an as update. I do suspect we will get said update in late Jan or early Feb.

-Mike

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi Mike and Karen,

I was hoping for you to answer a question about me resigning as leader of an organization that I had listed on my resume. For my local graduate school chapter I was responsible for planning a fairly large event in the spring, I had this reflected on my resume. However, due to time issues (no one ever asked me to resign or anything like that) I resigned at the end of the fall semester. I have already submitted my applications and received some acceptances but now I have some jitters that if there was some due diligence it would no longer be correct on my current resume. I submitted my applications with 100% intent to stay in the organization and I only resigned because I believe I was holding back other members. Is there anything I need to be worried about?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:59 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

I was hoping for you to answer a question about me resigning as leader of an organization that I had listed on my resume. For my local graduate school chapter I was responsible for planning a fairly large event in the spring, I had this reflected on my resume. However, due to time issues (no one ever asked me to resign or anything like that) I resigned at the end of the fall semester. I have already submitted my applications and received some acceptances but now I have some jitters that if there was some due diligence it would no longer be correct on my current resume. I submitted my applications with 100% intent to stay in the organization and I only resigned because I believe I was holding back other members. Is there anything I need to be worried about?

Just send an updated resume nothing you resigned due to other responsibilities and taking away the bullets on the resume. No one is going to even consider holding that against you in the least. Congrats on the admits, ditch the jitters you are cool and the gang!

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:52 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
I'll defend you when the spivey scandal breaks.

That is good, because I will be in Las Vegas over New years

I can already see the headlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-EGKuotUMw

although you would need the Don Johnson/Miami Vice suit and the be smoking the cigarette to fully sell it...

Back from Las Vegas and my new year's Eve 5k. Also my heist. I made it further than the Miami vice guy in the video above but not too much further, photographic evidence provided by the Las Vegas PD.

[imgImage][/img]

Apologies for being a bit slow on here and PMs. I'll try to catch up over the next few days.

Disappointed you didn't make any headlines. I had a google alert setup and everything!

Seriously though, hope you enjoyed the trip and the NYE 5k!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:58 pm

bsdfree wrote:Does having a significantly different LSAC GPA and Degree GPA affect admission outcomes? Specifically, I transferred to my undergrad institution from a community college, and so my first two years have a near 4.0 GPA, but my last two have around a 3.5. I wouldn't say I was any less of a student at my degree institution, but the combination of there being much greater competition and more difficult classes led to the lower GPA there. My LSAC GPA is an average of everything and so comes out to around 3.7. Is the conventional wisdom (LSAC GPA trumps all) correct, or should I expect to over/underperform my numbers?

The LSAC Cumulative GPA is the one that will be reported to the ABA. So it is good that your CC grades will help that number, because that will be your representative "GPA" at any school where you submit an application.
Keep in mind that all schools do look at the transcripts and see what is behind that GPA, so the numbers don't guarantee anything, but they do give a good indication. And it's a good year for applicants :)

Cheers,
KB

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:12 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

Just send an updated resume nothing you resigned due to other responsibilities and taking away the bullets on the resume. No one is going to even consider holding that against you in the least. Congrats on the admits, ditch the jitters you are cool and the gang!

Spivey you've single handedly made the new year!

pacifico

Postby pacifico » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi Karen and Mike,

Do you think I should let schools know that I'm retesting? I feel like if I do that they could hold my application (which might affect my chances), but if I don't, they might reject me before the potentially higher Feb scores arrive.

I guess another way of phrasing this would be whether I could manage not to be rejected by before early March (when the Feb LSAT comes out)

My score is 168, but thankfully my GPA is above the 75th percentile for most schools. I'm applying to T6 schools and some T14s.

Thanks for your advice! This thread has been an amazing resource :D .

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:01 am

pacifico wrote:Hi Karen and Mike,

Do you think I should let schools know that I'm retesting? I feel like if I do that they could hold my application (which might affect my chances), but if I don't, they might reject me before the potentially higher Feb scores arrive.

I guess another way of phrasing this would be whether I could manage not to be rejected by before early March (when the Feb LSAT comes out)

My score is 168, but thankfully my GPA is above the 75th percentile for most schools. I'm applying to T6 schools and some T14s.

FWIW, all schools have the ability to see if any of their applicants are registered for a future test. Not all schools do that, but you should know that they have the ability to do that.
If you want to be sure that the schools to consider your Feb score, you should tell them that you are retaking. They may hold the decision on your application until scores come out, but you'd rather them do that than deny you before you have the chance to show them a better score. Timing is not as important this cycle as it has been in the past. In general (with the exception of Yale and maybe Stanford who will ask you to submit a written request for them to consider your February score) a great LSAT in February will be seen as a great LSAT.

Good luck!
Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:03 am

You don't have to do the same thing for all schools. Certainly you are retaking for a reason, and that reason is likely because there are some schools where you feel strongly that you need a higher score to have a good shot at. Yes, let those schools know (they should anyway, btw, but we always recommend letting them know just in case). So, perhaps for schools where you are below the median, yes let them know and ask them to wait.

This cycle, oddly, seems to be the one where people are MOST heightened about application timing, when indeed it should be one were applicants are LESS concerned about this aspect. > LSAT, even by a point, almost always trumps earlier application.

Veronica2015

Postby Veronica2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

You don't have to do the same thing for all schools. Certainly you are retaking for a reason, and that reason is likely because there are some schools where you feel strongly that you need a higher score to have a good shot at. Yes, let those schools know (they should anyway, btw, but we always recommend letting them know just in case). So, perhaps for schools where you are below the median, yes let them know and ask them to wait.

This cycle, oddly, seems to be the one where people are MOST heightened about application timing, when indeed it should be one were applicants are LESS concerned about this aspect. > LSAT, even by a point, almost always trumps earlier application.

Thanks for the info! I have a follow-up question:
Should I email to my safe schools and ask them not to wait for my retake?

santoki

Post removed.

Postby santoki » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by santoki on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

iVi

Postby iVi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 pm

In the name of saving precious space in a two-page PS, is it OK to use an acronym (without writing it out) if the full title is included in your resume?

Normally wouldn't even consider it, but the full title takes up half a line...

Thanks in advance for your help!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:53 pm

iVi wrote:In the name of saving precious space in a two-page PS, is it OK to use an acronym (without writing it out) if the full title is included in your resume?

Can you do the full name once, parenthesize the acronym, and then use that for the rest, or still over 2 pages?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Veronica2015 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Thanks for the info! I have a follow-up question:
Should I email to my safe schools and ask them not to wait for my retake?

I would do just that. I can't guarantee they will, and I don't know your personal definition of "safe" but if it is a safety again that is exactly what I would do.

Oh and I tried to answer this on my iphone. Apparently I don't know how to spell the word "guarantee" and "gar tars" would have read pretty oddly above. "I can't gar tars they will"! we should make it an expression.

iVi

Postby iVi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:25 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
iVi wrote:In the name of saving precious space in a two-page PS, is it OK to use an acronym (without writing it out) if the full title is included in your resume?

Can you do the full name once, parenthesize the acronym, and then use that for the rest, or still over 2 pages?

There are actually two acronyms (worked for an NGO), one for the org and the other for my title. Together they literally take up a line.

My fear is that not writing it out will really rub some admin the wrong way, but it's just so much space!

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”