Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Megagreen

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Megagreen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:08 am

As you all former Deans from top law schools; how is Emory regarded by its peers? and why do they send their decisions so late?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Megagreen wrote:As you all former Deans from top law schools; how is Emory regarded by its peers? and why do they send their decisions so late?

Megagreen. I lucky enough to have worked with Emory on a few projects and think very highly of their leadership. It is a school that will continue to get better, IMO. I'm not entirely sure why they send their decisions later than you might expect but perhaps they are waiting for a more complete data pool?

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi

I'm applying to Georgetown right now and their C&F is a little different.

They ask:

"5. Has your college, university, graduate, or professional school course of study been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason?"

I took a gap year off to travel and do an internship. I explained it in my addenda to be safe.

Am I supposed to click yes to the C&F question though? Or is this question meant for disciplinary matters?

I guess I feel odd since I normally wouldn't need to click yes to any C&F questions.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Quick Silver wrote:Hi

They ask:

"5. Has your college, university, graduate, or professional school course of study been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason?"

I took a gap year off to travel and do an internship. I explained it in my addenda to be safe.

Am I supposed to click yes to the C&F question though? Or is this question meant for disciplinary matters?

I guess I feel odd since I normally wouldn't need to click yes to any C&F questions.

Yes check it off so they are directed to your addendum. You won't be rated in your application (odd cool insider trivia fact, many schools have a 1-5 rating system skipping the "4") based on checking yes or no, but by the reason.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Thank you Mike!

MikeSpivey wrote:
Quick Silver wrote:Hi

They ask:

Yes check it off so they are directed to your addendum. You won't be rated in your application (odd cool insider trivia fact, many schools have a 1-5 rating system skipping the "4") based on checking yes or no, but by the reason.

modz

Postby modz » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Mike and Karen

My mother is half black, so I'm a quarter black.

But I look white - most people don't realize I'm part black.

I feel weird about including both of my races. A lot of law schools I'm applying to often do interviews (Didn't have to for college).

So I worry about how awkward it will be in interviews - if I have to explain how I look white but I'm part black.

Any advice?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:40 pm

I am using my 2500th post to say hi to Mike and Karen.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Clearly wrote:I am using my 2500th post to say hi to Mike and Karen.

Hi Clearly.

Also, that is many posts. It gives me something to aspire towards.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:10 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Clearly wrote:I am using my 2500th post to say hi to Mike and Karen.

Hi Clearly.

Also, that is many posts. It gives me something to aspire towards.

Hello and Happy Holidays to you! It will take me many years to catch up to your posting numbers!

Cheers,
KB

modz

Postby modz » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi

I think you guys missed my post above - it's reprinted below:

I feel weird about including both of my races. A lot of law schools I'm applying to often do interviews (Didn't have to for college).

So I worry about how awkward it will be in interviews - if I have to explain how I look white but I'm part black.

Any advice?

Postby 2654815451 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:40 am

Hey, I have a question about my application...

I'm applying to a safety school that has on their personal statement description this:

"Please attach a personal statement as to why you want to attend law school in general, and the [insert school name here] in particular."

However, my personal statement is basically generic, and I don't have "why this particular school" included. Should I revise it and add that, or would it be okay to submit what I have. I find it difficult to include why that particular law school, and my PS is reaching limit already.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 pm

modz wrote:Hi

I think you guys missed my post above - it's reprinted below:

Any advice?

I understand your hesitation, but you should include your ethnic background because it is an accurate reflection of your ethnic heritage. You could leave it blank, but I don't think feeling weird is the right reason for leaving it blank. Another option is to include something in your application about this background perhaps?

Most people who interview are not insensitive, but if you have to explain, then you just explain. The truth here is very disarming.

Cheers,
KB

appind

Postby appind » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Last edited by appind on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Just wanted to say thank you both for your time and everything you do! Happy Holidays!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:35 pm

appind wrote:Hello former admissions officers

There is some existing information that MA schools c&f incl harvard don't need disclosure of minor traffic violations and need only felonies/misdemeanors.

Does it mean if one has traffic violations that are considered only infractions by the local jurisdictions then no need to disclose for harvard?

Also does the disciplinary action by a professional organization include company performance improvement review on an employee?

I didn't think there is any stuff I would check on c&f but these questions seem very broad.

The C+F questions on applications to law schools in Massachusetts can be a little funky, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. A few minor traffic violations will not hold you back from admission, but not disclosing them if you were supposed to can lead to more major problems down the road.

The HLS question allows you to answer no if it is a first offense of a minor traffic violation - if you have 10 traffic violations, you should probably disclose (and be more careful on the road).

For a variety of reasons, I can't answer if what you have amounts to a yes or no in this forum. You can always call the school and ask if you are unsure. And it's better to be safe than sorry!

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:45 pm

jw316 wrote:Just wanted to say thank you both for your time and everything you do! Happy Holidays!

Thanks you, and Happy Holidays to everyone out there!!

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:30 am

Hello Mike and Karen,

There are questions on lots of applications asking if a student has ever attended law school before.

When I was in graduate school, I was able to cross-register and take 1 law school class.

Does that mean I have to answer yes to having attended law school before? Or do they mean students who traditionally/formally applied to and attended law school? (as opposed to taking a class like me?)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:51 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
TheodoreKGB wrote:Love what you guys do! Long time listener, first time caller...

Now that the December LSAT is administered do you guys have any salacious data in regards to the total number of test takers?

Hey Teddy, just realized I didn't answer this. Do you mean the test takers this cycle? We know the results of the past two LSAT administrations, I think that is also publically available.

Hey, thanks for responding, Mr Spivey! Sorry I was a little unclear. What I meant was the overall increase/decrease (in %) of test takers for the Dec. 2014 administration over the Dec. 2013 administration. Thanks again

Teddy, looks like Dec test-takers are not out yet.

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered

But, admittedly, I have not been too concerned because we do have cycle data that is more up to date and better.

LSAC most recently reported that "As of 12/12/14, there are 88,926 fall 2015 applications submitted by 13,816 applicants. Applicants are down 9.1% and applications are down 10.5% from 2014. Last year at this time, we had 28% of the preliminary final applicant count."

Also, our slightly less recent, but much more granular data is here:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/first- ... ion-cycle/

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Quick Silver wrote:Hello Mike and Karen,

There are questions on lots of applications asking if a student has ever attended law school before.

When I was in graduate school, I was able to cross-register and take 1 law school class.

Does that mean I have to answer yes to having attended law school before? Or do they mean students who traditionally/formally applied to and attended law school? (as opposed to taking a class like me?)

I interpret this question as asking if you have been enrolled in law school before. Taking one class through cross-registration would not, in my mind, warrant a "yes" to this question.

Cheers,
KB

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Hey Mike, just curious what you think about the dean of KU's thread. In particular, what do you think about that email exchange?

Thanks Mike!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:08 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Hey Mike, just curious what you think about the dean of KU's thread. In particular, what do you think about that email exchange?

Thanks Mike!

Oh man, Scruffy. Let me see how deep down that rabbit hole I want to go.

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi Mike and Karen,

Although the LSAC Application allows us to upload a resume, it also has forms for us to list work experience and college activities.

It seems redundant to me (and annoying to have to type it all in again after all the time spent on my resume ;-)

Do Adcomms care if the info is re-entered? Should I just re-enter it?

Merry Christmas!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:21 am

Quick Silver wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

Although the LSAC Application allows us to upload a resume, it also has forms for us to list work experience and college activities.

It seems redundant to me (and annoying to have to type it all in again after all the time spent on my resume ;-)

Merry Christmas!

Although it is tedious, you should be redundant here. It's best to fill out the application form fully.
Cheers,
KB

Quick Silver

Postby Quick Silver » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:27 am

Thank you - Merry Christmas!

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Quick Silver wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

Merry Christmas!

Although it is tedious, you should be redundant here. It's best to fill out the application form fully.
Cheers,
KB

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:46 am

I am waiting for my december retake score and am wondering should I apply now or wait till I get the scores and apply the next day? I know conventional wisdom is before Christmas is on time but I kind of don't want to waste money applying if I find out later my retake sucked. So would it really be that bad if I apply on jan 3? I also figure that most admission places would be closed so what diffeence would it make? Am I mistaken in my thinking?

I have my ps, recs, optional essays and addendums all done and on lsac. I'm just waiting on hitting the apply button. Any suggestions?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”