Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Attax

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby Attax » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Tried the survey again, realized it was going slow but still completed it, hit submit and it crashed. It is probably because I'm a pesky PC user who has renounced my Apple Usership and am being punished for it. I hit submit a few times, so if it went through and you got about 12 answers including Texas, NU, Baylor, Houston, Alabama, etc. then that was probably me hitting submit multiple times.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am

Attax wrote:Tried the survey again, realized it was going slow but still completed it, hit submit and it crashed. It is probably because I'm a pesky PC user who has renounced my Apple Usership and am being punished for it. I hit submit a few times, so if it went through and you got about 12 answers including Texas, NU, Baylor, Houston, Alabama, etc. then that was probably me hitting submit multiple times.

Thanks, Attax! Much appreciated both your enthusiasm towards this and the clarification so we can review the results without confounding.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am

rebexness wrote:If Michigan and WUSTL don't absolutely run away with this, I will be very surprised.

Possibly :) we'll know in about 17 more submissions.

wunderkind2

Postby wunderkind2 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:42 am

Dean Spivey,

How much do you care about a student's fall grades if you've already admitted said student to your law school? What would it take for a student to get revoked?

Also, how do schools view an applicant who graduates in 2.5 years (assuming s/he has numbers greater than/equal to your medians and would normally stand as good a chance as any in admissions) if her/his work experience and extracurricular involvement is on par with that of 4 year college student K-JDs?

Thanks!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:46 am

wunderkind2 wrote:Dean Spivey,

How much do you care about a student's fall grades if you've already admitted said student to your law school? What would it take for a student to get revoked?

Also, how do schools view an applicant who graduates in 2.5 years (assuming s/he has numbers greater than/equal to your medians and would normally stand as good a chance as any in admissions) if her/his work experience and extracurricular involvement is on par with that of 4 year college student K-JDs?

Thanks!

If they are already admitted? About .000000000001. I actually don't know of a single instance where someone's admission was rescinded for grades alone dropping.

2.5 years = bump in my book. Most impressive!

-Mike

haus

Postby haus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:00 pm

2.5 years. Hmmm,.

I was only 13.5 years off of that pace.

dreamingspires

Postby dreamingspires » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:48 am

Dear Mike and Karen,

I have two questions regarding application updates. For those schools who have employment section on their application form, after I email the updated resume to reflect new employment information, do I need to update the employment question on the application as well?

And if my application is already under review, would it be too late for the readers to see the update?

Thanks a lot!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 pm

dreamingspires wrote:Dear Mike and Karen,

I have two questions regarding application updates. For those schools who have employment section on their application form, after I email the updated resume to reflect new employment information, do I need to update the employment question on the application as well?

And if my application is already under review, would it be too late for the readers to see the update?

Thanks a lot!

You do not need to update the application form in my opinion; the resume will act as the update. Whether the resume gets to your application before the review is complete will vary wildly from school to school. For example, if they read files electronically, chances are the resume will be added to your file almost instantly, but if they read on paper, it will take some time to get matched to your file.

Cheers,
KB

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
dreamingspires wrote:Dear Mike and Karen,

Thanks a lot!

You do not need to update the application form in my opinion; the resume will act as the update. Whether the resume gets to your application before the review is complete will vary wildly from school to school. For example, if they read files electronically, chances are the resume will be added to your file almost instantly, but if they read on paper, it will take some time to get matched to your file.

Cheers,
KB

Karen nailed it but to add a little bit of resonance, I've never heard of a school asking anyone do redo an application for a work update. Just a resume!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:44 pm

TheodoreKGB wrote:Love what you guys do! Long time listener, first time caller...

Now that the December LSAT is administered do you guys have any salacious data in regards to the total number of test takers?

Hey Teddy, just realized I didn't answer this. Do you mean the test takers this cycle? We know the results of the past two LSAT administrations, I think that is also publically available.

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:07 am

Here it is, the Top 20 Law School Admissions Offices (per our survey)

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/the-to ... s-offices/

We'll do another one towards the end of the cycle and hopefully there will be enough people left before they take off to school who still care about these things.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Here it is, the Top 20 Law School Admissions Offices (per our survey)

We'll do another one towards the end of the cycle and hopefully there will be enough people left before they take off to school who still care about these things.

I shoulda taken the survey. I applied a long time ago, but fuck Iowa's admissions office. Unresponsive cocksuckers.

On another note: Spivey. SPIVEY. Whattya doing for christmas, brother?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:25 am

bjsesq wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Here it is, the Top 20 Law School Admissions Offices (per our survey)

I shoulda taken the survey. I applied a long time ago, but fuck Iowa's admissions office. Unresponsive cocksuckers.

Zilch! My better half is visiting her family. I may go see The Interview to spite terrorist hackers or I may hike in the mountains with my dog/Spivey Consulting Mascot or I may harass Karen with work calls.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:27 am

Happy Holidays, brother. I hope it's a good one for you.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 am

bjsesq wrote:Happy Holidays, brother. I hope it's a good one for you.

Many thanks and same back to you!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Zilch! My better half is visiting her family. I may go see The Interview to spite terrorist hackers or I may hike in the mountains with my dog/Spivey Consulting Mascot or I may harass Karen with work calls.

Your work calls will not interfere with my traditional Christmas Star Wars marathon.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:41 am

Your work calls will not interfere with my traditional Christmas Star Wars marathon.

Are you saying I can go ahead and call, or are you saying that like a Jedi mind trick?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:46 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

Are you saying I can go ahead and call, or are you saying that like a Jedi mind trick?

I will answer and say, "This is not the Karen you are looking for."
But if you want to Skype or FaceTime, I can prop you up and you can watch with us :)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:49 am

HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE JOKE AS A PRESENT FOLLOWS.

This will be in small text so you can avoid if you want

My sister calls her vagina Denny's because seniors eat free on Tuesdays

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:24 am

Here is a blog on how to Skype interview with law schools by our co-worker/former Chicago Law Director of Admissions.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/the-10 ... interview/

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 am

Dear wise and urbane former adcoms:

Can you discuss need based financial aid? I'm concerned that, even if i gain admission to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, my parents (who won't be funding my education) are too middle class for me to get any significant grant money. Should I tell my dad to quit his job ?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:09 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:Dear wise and urbane former adcoms:

Can you discuss need based financial aid? I'm concerned that, even if i gain admission to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, my parents (who won't be funding my education) are too middle class for me to get any significant grant money. Should I tell my dad to quit his job ?

Don't tell your dad to quit his job.
These schools are 100% need-based, but they use different calculations and information to determine a need-based grant. So you may have different results at those schools - likely close to each other, but it is possible that it will vary significantly.
They do take into account your age and/or dependency on your parents (the older you are, the less likely that your parents' information will be considered).

And overall, the argument to still attend without much aid is that it is an investment. When you graduate from HYS you will fall into two categories: making enough money to repay substantial loans or eligible for very generous loan forgiveness programs (that can sometimes amount to more than a full-tuition grant on the back end)

Cheers,
KB

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Karen and Mike: don't respond to that poster, 999/1000, he is trolling you.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”