Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Attax wrote:Tried taking the survey, but it wouldn't select the boxes I picked

Let me look in to that. Sorry for the glitch!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Update: The survey still seems to be working. We've received 6 responses in the last hour. Maybe it's a browser issue?

Anyway, here is the link, we only need about 50 more responses and we will publish the data!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/qualit ... ce-survey/

Thanks!

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:16 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Update: The survey still seems to be working. We've received 6 responses in the last hour. Maybe it's a browser issue?

Anyway, here is the link, we only need about 50 more responses and we will publish the data!

Thanks!

I was having the same problem while using Google Chrome on mobile, but had zero problem while doing it on my computer.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Can someone explain why Savannah Law School follows/unfollows/follows then unfollows us on twitter on about a daily basis?

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:46 pm

They're trying to play hard to get? 8)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:50 pm

whitespider wrote:They're trying to play hard to get? 8)

It's not working well for them. I mean, can they have a bot for that, at least, or is someone actively clicking follow and unfollow every day? Put another way, is that like someone's job?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:53 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
whitespider wrote:They're trying to play hard to get? 8)

It's not working well for them. I mean, can they have a bot for that, at least, or is someone actively clicking follow and unfollow every day? Put another way, is that like someone's job?

Well they did just get accreditation. Probably related.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Can someone explain why Savannah Law School follows/unfollows/follows then unfollows us on twitter on about a daily basis?

They probably want a follow-back & by following you, they're hoping you'll keep getting notifications and you will finally follow them back. Kind of weird a law school has the same antics as a 12 year old girl though.

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Dirigo wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Can someone explain why Savannah Law School follows/unfollows/follows then unfollows us on twitter on about a daily basis?

They probably want a follow-back & by following you, they're hoping you'll keep getting notifications and you will finally follow them back. Kind of weird a law school has the same antics as a 12 year old girl though.

Oooooh, I hope he notices me! *teehee*

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:04 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

It's kind of tween cute, like accreditation puberty.

On the topic of Savannah Law School, were they not included in Brut's "wiki drive" to include employment numbers on their wiki, or did they delete the section?

foles

Postby foles » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:56 am

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:14 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 am

I'm not saying I have a suspect...but someone went in and filled out our survey a bunch of times, claiming to have only applied to or interacted with the Texas Tech admissions office and giving them a bunch of flawless and near flawless (100s and 99s) scores.

But, in better news, we are just a few more results away from publishing the data. Can we get 25 more please!? If you've filled it out please feel free to ask a friend(s) to do so. I'm unaware of this survey ever being done before and I am fascinated by the results.

I won't spam you anymore with the survey, just the results when we have them! Many thanks!

Mike

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:19 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I'm not saying I have a suspect...but someone went in and filled out our survey a bunch of times, claiming to have only applied to or interacted with the Texas Tech admissions office and giving them a bunch of flawless and near flawless (100s and 99s) scores.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I'm not saying I have a suspect...but someone went in and filled out our survey a bunch of times, claiming to have only applied to or interacted with the Texas Tech admissions office and giving them a bunch of flawless and near flawless (100s and 99s) scores.

But, in better news, we are just a few more results away from publishing the data. Can we get 25 more please!? If you've filled it out please feel free to ask a friend(s) to do so. I'm unaware of this survey ever being done before and I am fascinated by the results.

I won't spam you anymore with the survey, just the results when we have them! Many thanks!

Mike

Spivey I really want to do this, but I only submitted at the end of December so haven't had all that much interaction with Admissions offices. I feel like my survey answers will be incomplete.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:30 am

If you've interacted with a few a good deal you don't have to fill it out for all the schools you have applied to, but just the ones you feel like you have enough experience to do so. Or...call them all right now to chat and see who does so in a friendly manner (pro tip: don't do this).

Thanks for being enthusiastic about it!

haus

Postby haus » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:33 am

DCfilterDC wrote:

Mike

Spivey I really want to do this, but I only submitted at the end of December so haven't had all that much interaction with Admissions offices. I feel like my survey answers will be incomplete.

Perhaps he can run this survey again next year to capture those applying in this cycle.

It would be interesting to see if changes are detectable between cycles.
Last edited by haus on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 am

We'll do it haus!

Also, going through the data there might be even more tampering, I'm nixing Texas Tech from the results. Someone ruined it for all.

wzevon9

Postby wzevon9 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:15 pm

foles wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

Could you guys offer some insight/blind speculation why the admissions process seems to be delayed at several schools this year? Is it because of the decline in apps/high scorers? Or was this planned beforehand for ______ reasons? Thanks!

Any thoughts Mike and Karen?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:31 pm

wzevon9 wrote:

Could you guys offer some insight/blind speculation why the admissions process seems to be delayed at several schools this year? Is it because of the decline in apps/high scorers? Or was this planned beforehand for ______ reasons? Thanks!

Hard to say but I'm not even certain "delayed" is the right word for some schools. Delay would imply that it is "slowly than intended"...I think for some schools they are on their intended path for decisions (eg: Harvard) just slower in releasing compared to last year. They have internal timelines that vary from year to year that are independent of the applicant pool, travel schedules, interview schedules, angry faculty, etc.

so I hesitate to speculate other than to say this varies every year. If we learn any more we will share, of course!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:33 pm

wzevon9 wrote:

My guess is that at some schools, it may be because of the decline in applications. At other schools, the change in pace for admissions decisions is simply due to a change in office procedures. (I realize that the second half is a completely unsatisfactory answer, but it also happens to be the truth.)

Cheers,
KB

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah I have to wonder why you decided to do that admission survey so early in the cycle.. Have to assume that most people will have the majority of their interactions in the coming months. I did do it, but could only really talk about Duke (who gave me a false acceptance) and NYU (who refunded my application fee) with horrible and great ratings - the rest I do not expect to be able to comment on their ability until at least January. So why do it now?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Auxilio wrote:Yeah I have to wonder why you decided to do that admission survey so early in the cycle.. Have to assume that most people will have the majority of their interactions in the coming months. I did do it, but could only really talk about Duke (who gave me a false acceptance) and NYU (who refunded my application fee) with horrible and great ratings - the rest I do not expect to be able to comment on their ability until at least January. So why do it now?

Mostly for sample size, which we assessed would be much higher now than in June-Sept when people tend to drop way off the admissions/TLS/etc. radar. Thousands of schools rated are much more meaningful to us than hundreds.

Also, I was so curious I got impatient. I hear on a daily basis horror stories and heroic stories about admissions offices.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”