Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:40 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
jetsfan1 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:I'm doomed.

Feel like I'm partly responsible for this : /

Ha. No. But the longer this thing takes to make the more worried I grow.

IT HAS TO BE PERFECT

bellamimi

Postby bellamimi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:50 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:A brief (good news) note on timing of application submission.

We are starting to get a large number of emails, PMS, etc. from applicants for this cycle who are worried that they are approaching "late" submission on applications.

The reality couldn't be further from that. There won't be a single law school who feels like they have made all of their first wave admits before mid/late January and they will always be looking for more strong applications. Indeed, we have data from two cycles that applicants who applied in Feb, March got bumps at many schools. I'm not going to predict that for this cycle but please know that if you are working on your application/studying for dec LSAT, etc you are not close to late. Get it all wrapped up by January and you should feel very comfortable with timing. There will be threads about people having been admitted already but that had zero bearing on your application you are totally fine.

Please feel free to share this wherever.

Mike

I just wanted to second this! Just because you are not super early with your app does not make you late!

Hi Mike & Karen,

As an older student I really need to try to enroll in a program next year, however, I got a late start on the LSAT preparation and only have about a month. I am up to about a 168-169 but feel confident that with another few months I could possibly get in the 174-175 range. If I apply using my December scores but then get much better in February would I have time to update my application? Worst case would it be possible to withdraw my applications and still apply again the following year with the stronger score? Even if they do consider it, would it be too late to be considered for scholarship?

Thank you!

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Mike and Karen, bless you both for this incredible resource!

Got a couple of questions for you:

I'm a splitter, mid-170s, 3.6-ish, several years intl. freelance journalism WE with big name collaborators and clients. On paper, I feel like I oughta be a shoe-in at a lot of T14. Unfortunately, in the course of pursuing this WE I think I've burned some adcom bridges. Two years ago I was offered a full ride at my home state school, and admitted at the only T6 I applied to. Deposited, then withdrew after interesting work came up. I assumed I'd get more experience and come back for more $$$ the next year. Second year, the same thing happened, good admits/schollies, deposited, withdrew, did more work in order to try to get more $$$.

Looks like schools are concerned about being thrice bitten, as I was rejected from the home state school (my top choice, from which I have since requested reconsideration w/ an addendum expressing intention to enroll this fall), and despite going complete in mid-September, haven't heard from many T14, who appear to be already admitting others w/ similar numbers.

So, my questions are:

1. Might word have gotten around that I'm perceived as a flight risk/non-serious?
2. Should I try to preempt adcom concerns by sending a (post-app) addendum explaining the 2x reapp-ing?

Thanks for the insight.

*edits for clarity

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:28 am

whosinthehousejc wrote:Mike and Karen, bless you both for this incredible resource!

I'm a splitter, mid-170s, 3.6-ish, several years intl. freelance journalism WE with big name collaborators and clients. On paper, I feel like I oughta be a shoe-in at a lot of T14. Unfortunately, in the course of pursuing this WE I think I've burned some adcom bridges. Two years ago I was offered a full ride at my home state school, and admitted at the only T6 I applied to. Deposited, then withdrew after interesting work came up. I assumed I'd get more experience and come back for more $$$ the next year. Second year, the same thing happened, good admits/schollies, deposited, withdrew, did more work in order to try to get more $$$.

Looks like schools are concerned about being thrice bitten, as I was rejected from the home state school (my top choice, from which I have since requested reconsideration w/ an addendum expressing intention to enroll this fall), and despite going complete in mid-September, haven't heard from many T14, who appear to be already admitting others w/ similar numbers.

So, my questions are:

1. Might word have gotten around that I'm perceived as a flight risk/non-serious?
2. Should I try to preempt adcom concerns by sending a (post-app) addendum explaining the 2x reapp-ing?

Thanks for the insight.

*edits for clarity

1. Super highly unlikely as that would violate at the minimum standards for good practice and professionalism and *possibly* some collusion or FERPA laws (although prob not). Regardless, no --it is MUCH more likely that like all other applications, the process can take longer than you want. So I wouldn't worry about this.

2. No. I mean, yes you should have for the home school because they know your name and didn't want the same thing to happen again. But for all other schools I wouldn't worry about it because it doesn't sound like you applied to them every year. Correct?

Mike

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Attax wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Attax wrote:Aw, SMU and Rice, you guys should stop half way in Austin for delicious food!

We are speaking at Rice in March then heading up to see a partner at Gibson Dunn in Dallas who is for all practical matters the chair of our board, so we'd love to do an Austin leg of the trip. I've learned what to do in Austin from the Daily Show, so we are, of course, set now.

Also, I just realized we could stay at a condo at the Four Seasons there that is owned by another Dallas heavy hitter who rarely uses it, so we could meet some of you all at the Four Seasons there for coffee. Not a bad spot for a business meeting! Let's make it happen.

I'm definitely interested and would love to! If y'all end up staying, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM on here! Always interested for some coffee and talk.

Attax,

I'm pretty sure we are going to make this happen. We may even have our Spivey Consulting corporate retreat in Austin, and if so we might invite some folks to meet about some things with us. We'll be in touch!

For everyone else, we have a few open slots in late feb/March. And we are really, really good at getting people admitted off of the wait list! So PM us if interested on a talk on this at your campus!

Mike

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Any preliminary info on # of people registered to take the December LSAT now that registration is closed?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Dirigo wrote:Any preliminary info on # of people registered to take the December LSAT now that registration is closed?

Let me ask someone!

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Attax,

I'm pretty sure we are going to make this happen. We may even have our Spivey Consulting corporate retreat in Austin, and if so we might invite some folks to meet about some things with us. We'll be in touch!

For everyone else, we have a few open slots in late feb/March. And we are really, really good at getting people admitted off of the wait list! So PM us if interested on a talk on this at your campus!

Mike

This is relevant to my interests.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:52 pm

cannibal ox wrote:

Mike

You'll definitely get an invite Ox!

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Attax wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
Attax wrote:Aw, SMU and Rice, you guys should stop half way in Austin for delicious food!

We are speaking at Rice in March then heading up to see a partner at Gibson Dunn in Dallas who is for all practical matters the chair of our board, so we'd love to do an Austin leg of the trip. I've learned what to do in Austin from the Daily Show, so we are, of course, set now.

Also, I just realized we could stay at a condo at the Four Seasons there that is owned by another Dallas heavy hitter who rarely uses it, so we could meet some of you all at the Four Seasons there for coffee. Not a bad spot for a business meeting! Let's make it happen.

I'm definitely interested and would love to! If y'all end up staying, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM on here! Always interested for some coffee and talk.

Attax,

Mike

Despite my bias, I don't believe you could have chosen a better city!

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Mike and Karen, bless you both for this incredible resource!

So, my questions are:

Thanks for the insight.

*edits for clarity

1. Super highly unlikely as that would violate at the minimum standards for good practice and professionalism and *possibly* some collusion or FERPA laws (although prob not). Regardless, no --it is MUCH more likely that like all other applications, the process can take longer than you want. So I wouldn't worry about this.

2. No. I mean, yes you should have for the home school because they know your name and didn't want the same thing to happen again. But for all other schools I wouldn't worry about it because it doesn't sound like you applied to them every year. Correct?

Mike

Thanks Mike, this makes total sense. Happy travels!

bound

Postby bound » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:

Mike

+1 to attax and mtnginger. As if I need another reason to get out of Dallas and head to Austin... :D

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 pm

bound wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:

Mike

+1 to attax and mtnginger. As if I need another reason to get out of Dallas and head to Austin... :D

This will be the best corporate retreat ever. We may get coffee AND chocolate fondu!

KMart

Postby KMart » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:35 am

Hey guys,

So I'm in the unfortunate posistion of waiting on my last LOR to submit their letter. However, my application is complete. Currently I have two LORs (one academic and one from my employer - I'm a senior at UG so I know academic is more important and the one I'm waiting on is academic). My question is, should I continue waiting on the last LOR or should I go ahead and submit now and then just update schools whenever she submits hers to LSAC (or will LSAC update the file for the schools for me)? Thanks guys, it's been a pain waiting to submit apps because I'm ready to go :|.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:44 am

imKMart wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm in the unfortunate posistion of waiting on my last LOR to submit their letter. However, my application is complete. Currently I have two LORs (one academic and one from my employer - I'm a senior at UG so I know academic is more important and the one I'm waiting on is academic). My question is, should I continue waiting on the last LOR or should I go ahead and submit now and then just update schools whenever she submits hers to LSAC (or will LSAC update the file for the schools for me)? Thanks guys, it's been a pain waiting to submit apps because I'm ready to go :|.

Easy one. SUBMIT!

(then remind your LOR in a very polite way)

KMart

Postby KMart » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks Mike! Here goes nothing and the beginning of a cycle :shock:.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Anyone want to take a stab at some of the odd results on this, relative to what one might expect:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/popula ... le-trends/

Also, we are working on getting some data for everyone, including Dec LSAT registrants.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Anyone want to take a stab at some of the odd results on this, relative to what one might expect:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/popula ... le-trends/

Also, we are working on getting some data for everyone, including Dec LSAT registrants.

My only guess would be a problem with methodology somewhere along the way.

Just a guess, but I see they have a beta "topics" search, were you using that? The "Stanford Law School" topic ranks much lower than the search terms "Stanford Law." Conversely the "George Washington University Law School" topic ranks much higher than the simple search terms "GWU law" or "George Washington university law." So using the topic search would seemingly rank Stanford lower than it should be and GWU higher.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Google trends is normalized to the time/location you specify so it's not very helpful to compare across different search terms. It doesn't stand for the absolute search volume.

100 is automatically assigned to the highest point on the graph, no matter the time/location constraints you assign to the graph. Every search term can be assigned "100" if you limit the graph to the shortest possible interval.

More info: https://support.google.com/trends/answe ... hl=en&rd=1

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for the stabs at the goggle trends results. We are trying to come up with our own theories too, one of which we are working on now. if it makes sense (doubtful) I'll post.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Taking the Dec LSAT? Here are some final thoughts with about 10 days to go

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/dec-6t ... d-is-mine/

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:10 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Taking the Dec LSAT? Here are some final thoughts with about 10 days to go

Made me cry a little bit. Thanks for this, Spivey.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 pm

GreenTee wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Taking the Dec LSAT? Here are some final thoughts with about 10 days to go

Made me cry a little bit. Thanks for this, Spivey.

Always happy to help provide a good cry! :mrgreen:

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”