Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

KarenButtenbaum

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:26 pm

psychmusic wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:
psychmusic wrote:Thanks so much for doing this (and for keeping it going for so long)!

When researching a school that I was applying to, I found a clinic I was especially interested in, so I included it as a major part of my "Why X" essay. Last night, I was looking through their website again, and found that the clinic is not listed on their main clinics page, and it seems to have rolled into another broader but related clinic. As a result, my "Why X" is largely about a program that no longer exists. Is there anything that I can do at this point to mitigate the issue? I would need to completely revise the essay, and I've been complete for a month at this school now so I imagine it's already been read...

Thanks again!

As long as you can still do the work that you want to do in this clinic, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just been incorporated into another name. If you can find out more about the change, you might want to follow up and say that you are happy that although the clinic is no longer a stand alone entity, you are still interested in being a part of that larger clinic.

Cheers,
KB

Thanks so much for your input! I ended up being accepted yesterday before I could even address the issue, so it truly was not a big deal.

Woo Hoo! Congrats!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi Karen, what's up?

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
secadc11 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:Would it be better to apply now with a GPA at median and LSAT one or two points below median for my target schools (I am retaking in December), or should I wait until my retake scores come out? I don't want to be a late applicant, but at the same time, I don't want to send in an application and get rejected before my December scores come out.

Apply now but ask them to wait for your July score. They will see that you are registered but ask anyway, as they may miss it or may have a different policy. The only reason NOT to apply now is if it interferes with your LSAT studies, as right now that is priority number 1.

To dispel a myth, though, applying in December is not late I have data on my website from two cycles ago where at some schools you are advantaged for applying in Jan/Feb.

Can anyone guess why? Put on your admissions dean hat...

Hmmm. Schools were overly picky early on, and now are feeling more pressure to fill their classes?

That's pretty much it. The reason is the base too much decision making on the past year's data, and don't forecast from LSAT test-taking data etc. It may happen this year, actually. In which case we will see some schools where it better to apply in January.

This makes me feel much better about applying post Dec LSAT. Thank you!

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I promised this. Basically, what Adcomms look at versus how people do.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/applic ... -outcomes/

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Harvard, Chicago, Vandy Admissions officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:05 pm

New thread name to celebrate Halloween and getting to 150k views. Woo-hoo!

Same peeps with the addition of Jayme McKellop who works with us formerly of Chicago Law who may stop by from time to time.

I was going to just rename it The Spivey Thread like everyone here calls it but that felt kinda vain.

jbc0302

Postby jbc0302 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi All- thanks for doing this, it's a really interesting and useful thread. I am all set to apply right now - two strong letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.

However, I have been employed full time for the past two years, and I am waiting on a third letter from a supervisor who is taking longer than anticipated. My work experience plays an important role in my personal statement.

My question is: is it better to submit now and supplement my applications with the third work-experience letter, or should I wait and put it all together because of the connection between my PS and the supervisor letter?

Thanks for your help!

february1

Postby february1 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I promised this. Basically, what Adcomms look at versus how people do.

Really interesting post. Do you think this report will actually have an effect on how schools make admissions decisions?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:07 pm

jbc0302 wrote:Hi All- thanks for doing this, it's a really interesting and useful thread. I am all set to apply right now - two strong letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.

However, I have been employed full time for the past two years, and I am waiting on a third letter from a supervisor who is taking longer than anticipated. My work experience plays an important role in my personal statement.

My question is: is it better to submit now and supplement my applications with the third work-experience letter, or should I wait and put it all together because of the connection between my PS and the supervisor letter?

Thanks for your help!

Normally I'd say just submit.

Now (because of the PS/LOR connection) I'd say submit but ask the school tow ait for your third LOR before reviewing, in a phone call and follow-up email, both polite of course.

You'll be all but complete and just waiting on this, plus if you are date stamped it will be as of today (or whenever you submit).

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 am

Spivey: I saw the change of title after that Penn goober came in and started flexing his credentials. Fantastic smackdown.

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:47 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 am

bjsesq wrote:Spivey: I saw the change of title after that Penn goober came in and started flexing his credentials. Fantastic smackdown.

I figured you would!

Also, it's Dean Spivey to you.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 am

Pau.C. wrote:How long should a Character and Fitness addendum be for a very minor thing like a speeding ticket? How much do admissions committees want to know?

I feel like going overboard and saying too much is almost as bad as saying too little.

About 3 sentences, give or take one in either direction.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 am

february1 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:I promised this. Basically, what Adcomms look at versus how people do.

Really interesting post. Do you think this report will actually have an effect on how schools make admissions decisions?

How about I write a blog on just that? It's an interesting question.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Spivey: I saw the change of title after that Penn goober came in and started flexing his credentials. Fantastic smackdown.

I figured you would!

Also, it's Dean Spivey to you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a good shit, dude. I appreciate the sense of humor you've kept.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:33 pm

FYI, I will be in San Diego this coming Friday evening to Monday morning. If anyone applying next cycle wants to meet for coffee, I'm happy to do it. Disclaimer: I will babble on and on about admissions until it/I seem crazy.

I have time for just 1 so PM me or let your buddy who is in the area know and email me.

Thanks,

Mike

jbc0302

Postby jbc0302 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:34 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Normally I'd say just submit.

Now (because of the PS/LOR connection) I'd say submit but ask the school tow ait for your third LOR before reviewing, in a phone call and follow-up email, both polite of course.

You'll be all but complete and just waiting on this, plus if you are date stamped it will be as of today (or whenever you submit).

That's what I was leaning towards. Thanks for your help.

bruingrad1990

Postby bruingrad1990 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi,

I just had a minor question. On the first three applications I sent out I realized that in the Honors sections of my resume I left off one word. I know this seems excessive but I was wondering how this would be related to my chances of being admitted/waitlisted/denied. I have the numbers to get into the schools based on previous acceptances. Also my file is under review at the three schools so I don't think it is possible to resubmit it.

Thank you so much!

ddlew

Postby ddlew » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm

To the admit officers:

Straight from undergrad, I started grad school (a top PhD program) with the intention of completing a JD after the PhD (for various reasons, I was discouraged from the dual degree route). Almost immediately, however, I realized that academia and grad school were not for me. The intellectual isolation is an environment I am completely uncomfortable with, and am now applying to law schools with the intention of leaving grad school at the end of the semester (only one semester completed).

How should I explain this to law schools and how will this affect my chances at admission (4.0 GPA; 175 LSAT)? I don't want admissions committees to think that I could not handle the academic pressures of grad school, for that is far from the story. Rather, I really am craving an education in the immediate term that is geared toward more practical applications of the topics I have been studying.

Thanks for any advice.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:23 pm

bruingrad1990 wrote:Hi,

I just had a minor question. On the first three applications I sent out I realized that in the Honors sections of my resume I left off one word. I know this seems excessive but I was wondering how this would be related to my chances of being admitted/waitlisted/denied. I have the numbers to get into the schools based on previous acceptances. Also my file is under review at the three schools so I don't think it is possible to resubmit it.

Thank you so much!

Of course it is best to be mistake-free in your application, but a minor typo that doesn't change the meaning is rarely the sole cause of a change in decision. A sloppy application with lots of typos is a different story. (Or something that gives you a completely different image like "pubic display" versus "public display" eeek! :shock: )

You can always submit a new one and say "I noticed a minor mistake, please accept this new one"

Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:26 pm

ddlew wrote:To the admit officers:

Straight from undergrad, I started grad school (a top PhD program) with the intention of completing a JD after the PhD (for various reasons, I was discouraged from the dual degree route). Almost immediately, however, I realized that academia and grad school were not for me. The intellectual isolation is an environment I am completely uncomfortable with, and am now applying to law schools with the intention of leaving grad school at the end of the semester (only one semester completed).

How should I explain this to law schools and how will this affect my chances at admission (4.0 GPA; 175 LSAT)? I don't want admissions committees to think that I could not handle the academic pressures of grad school, for that is far from the story. Rather, I really am craving an education in the immediate term that is geared toward more practical applications of the topics I have been studying.

Thanks for any advice.

Your explanation seems reasonable, so there is no need to worry. It simply wasn't the right fit, not the right choice, and you are just smart enough to realize it before you get in too deep. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

Cheers,
KB

ddlew

Postby ddlew » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:43 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

Your explanation seems reasonable, so there is no need to worry. It simply wasn't the right fit, not the right choice, and you are just smart enough to realize it before you get in too deep. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

Cheers,
KB

Thanks. That's good to know. Would you suggest addressing it in an addendum pretty much how I described it here (of course, with more sophistication)? And how important do you think it is to have a completed semester of coursework versus leaving prior to the end of the semester?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:37 am

ddlew wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
KB

Thanks. That's good to know. Would you suggest addressing it in an addendum pretty much how I described it here (of course, with more sophistication)? And how important do you think it is to have a completed semester of coursework versus leaving prior to the end of the semester?

Yes but be very concise (they see this all the time, fyi) and don't call them "Admit Officers" :)

mysojuli

Postby mysojuli » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:33 pm

This is probably a silly question..

I saw someone earlier asking about writing a C&F because of a speeding ticket. Should I write a C&F statement because I got a parking ticket...it didn't go to court I just paid the fee I just didn't have a parking pass......

Thanks!

Cradle6

Postby Cradle6 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 am

To piggyback, do we need to mention that we've learned from the experience of getting that speeding ticket?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:16 am

mysojuli wrote:This is probably a silly question..

I saw someone earlier asking about writing a C&F because of a speeding ticket. Should I write a C&F statement because I got a parking ticket...it didn't go to court I just paid the fee I just didn't have a parking pass......

Thanks!

Parking tickets are generally excluded from C+F questions.
As a general rule, you should read the questions carefully for each school because some schools don't care about things like this or speeding tickets and you would answer "no." But some schools want to know so you will have to answer "yes" and submit an explanation. And the explanation really just needs the facts in these types of infractions - two sentences along the lines of, but slightly more eloquent than, "I got a ticket. I paid a fine."

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
KB

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”