Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

KarenButtenbaum

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Seoulless wrote:So here is an interesting question: how does an admissions office receive a candidates lsac file. Is there a server and a directly downloadable PDF file becomes accessible? Is there a place online where they log in and get a link to the PDFs?

My issue is this: print my app preview from a web browser decimates my app. Italics are turned into some weird font. I am really hoping they don't print from a browser.

each school is different, but those who read online are very likely to do through through the LSAC database, so it is mostly in .pdf type documents. Some schools still read on paper, but they are definitely not screen shots. It looks more like a document printed from a .pdf
Submit your docs in pdf if you can!
Cheers,
Karen

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 am

Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indo

Postby indo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:06 am

Question for Mike and Karen.

I have been accepted by several some lower T-14.
What is the risk for taking another LSAT in December or February ?
Will the schools rescind the offers ?

I took LSAT for 4 times already.

Thanks

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:55 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:So I realized that I made a mistake within 5 minutes of submitting an application (put down the wrong semester for Dean's List). What is the process for correcting this?

Also I cannot believe I was silly enough to let this happen :(

It's quite alright. This stuff happens, and it's not like you put down the wrong school :shock:
Just send an email with the correction - very simple.
It is very likely that they won't even notice
Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 am

indo wrote:Question for Mike and Karen.

Thanks

I don't think that the schools will have much to go on to rescind your offer, but you are teetering on the edge of too many LSAT scores for schools higher up on that list. Do you have 4 scores? or did you cancel any?
Do you have good reason that your score will go up much? I'm not convinced that taking it again will give you the reward you are looking for because many schools at the top tend to be leery of that many takes. I'm not saying it's impossible to be admitted - that's not what I'm saying at all - but I do think that 5 plus LSAT takes may warrant an explanation. Think about what you'd say and think about how that may sound to an admissions committee.
Cheers,
KB

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:09 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks

I don't think that the schools will have much to go on to rescind your offer, but you are teetering on the edge j too many LSAT scores for schools higher up on that list. Do you have 4 scores? or did you cancel any?
Do you have good reason that your score will go up much? I'm not convinced that taking it again will give you the reward you are looking for because many schools at the top tend to be leery of that many takes. I'm not saying it's impossible to be admitted - that's not what I'm saying at all - but I do think that 5 plus LSAT takes may warrant an explanation. Think about what you'd say and think about how that may sound to an admissions committee.
Cheers,
KB

How many is to many LSATs for the top schools? Rule applies to all?

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Seoulless wrote:So here is an interesting question: how does an admissions office receive a candidates lsac file. Is there a server and a directly downloadable PDF file becomes accessible? Is there a place online where they log in and get a link to the PDFs?

My issue is this: print my app preview from a web browser decimates my app. Italics are turned into some weird font. I am really hoping they don't print from a browser.

each school is different, but those who read online are very likely to do through through the LSAC database, so it is mostly in .pdf type documents. Some schools still read on paper, but they are definitely not screen shots. It looks more like a document printed from a .pdf
Cheers,
Karen

Is the database accessed through a web browser (Firefox etc) or is it a software program? This is something I have actually been curious about since undergrad when I sent in my apps using the common app.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 am

Seoulless wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks

I don't think that the schools will have much to go on to rescind your offer, but you are teetering on the edge j too many LSAT scores for schools higher up on that list. Do you have 4 scores? or did you cancel any?
Cheers,
KB

How many is to many LSATs for the top schools? Rule applies to all?

There is no number that is a clear cutoff but see what I said above. And for Yale, 2 is probably too many :)
After three takes, you start to reach a grey area, when you hit 8 takes, you've gone too far.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:16 am

Seoulless wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Cheers,
Karen

Is the database accessed through a web browser (Firefox etc) or is it a software program? This is something I have actually been curious about since undergrad when I sent in my apps using the common app.

It is a web based database

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Cheers,
Karen

It is a web based database

And I guess you can't submit them in pdf (I thought you used to, but you can't now). Sorry!

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HRomanus

Postby HRomanus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:01 pm

I've been employed in the same position since graduating college eighteen months ago. I've performed well and recently my workload was more than doubled due to staff cuts. I didn't love the work beforehand, but now that I'm performing the work of two people with the same expectations it's pretty horrendous. With my Sept LSAT score in hand, I know I'll be attending a law school next fall.

What would the admissions implications be of resigning from my employment before my applications are submitted? What about resigning after apps are submitted but before scholarships?

If/when I resign, I will increase my volunteering to a large degree, so it's not like I'll be loafing around on TLS.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Pau.C. wrote:I wonder do schools see any difference in LSAT scores once they are above the 75th LSAT? For example, schools like Harvard and Yale. Once you are above their 75 LSAT percentile, does how far above matter? Would a 180 applicant have any advantage over a 177 applicant?

Thanks!

Statistically, there is not a difference in those scores, and there is not an advantage when it comes time to reporting those scores to US news. I do think there is a psychological advantage to having the higher score, but how much that weighs into the decision to admit is harder to quantify because of all of the other factors involved in decision making. If someone had a 177 and was considering a retake, for example, I'd say don't do it!
Cheers,
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:57 pm

HRomanus wrote:I've been employed in the same position since graduating college eighteen months ago. I've performed well and recently my workload was more than doubled due to staff cuts. I didn't love the work beforehand, but now that I'm performing the work of two people with the same expectations it's pretty horrendous. With my Sept LSAT score in hand, I know I'll be attending a law school next fall.

What would the admissions implications be of resigning from my employment before my applications are submitted? What about resigning after apps are submitted but before scholarships?

If/when I resign, I will increase my volunteering to a large degree, so it's not like I'll be loafing around on TLS.

As long as you are being productive with your time, I don't think this will be an issue. Definitely keep up with volunteering or some other productive activity and have some sort of a plan for the next 9-10 months. Can you stick it out a little longer until you submit your apps? Not the end of the world if you can't - it just might be easier.

Cheers,
KB

titusandronicus

Postby titusandronicus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Nit-picky question here:

In the education section of the applications, should I be listing my University GPA (3.97) or my LSDAS GPA (4.02)? I have listed my LSDAS GPA on my resume, but I wasn't sure what was expected in this particular section.

Thank you in advance for your response.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:34 pm

titusandronicus wrote:Nit-picky question here:

In the education section of the applications, should I be listing my University GPA (3.97) or my LSDAS GPA (4.02)? I have listed my LSDAS GPA on my resume, but I wasn't sure what was expected in this particular section.

Thank you in advance for your response.

On the application form, use the GPA from your school. FWIW, I always looked at the CAS report from LSAC for the CUM GPA and all else was just supporting info.

indo

Postby indo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:14 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks

I don't think that the schools will have much to go on to rescind your offer, but you are teetering on the edge of too many LSAT scores for schools higher up on that list. Do you have 4 scores? or did you cancel any?
Cheers,
KB

yes, i have all scores and all below median for T-6. but my GPA over 75%
last time i took LSAT was in October 2013.
I been tutoring LSAT since December 2013.
Since i did tutoring , I master the LSAT better and i am sure i can get over 170.

Thanks

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:24 pm

indo wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks

Cheers,
KB

Since i did tutoring , I master the LSAT better and i am sure i can get over 170.

Thanks

I'm still not convinced that taking it again will give you the reward you are looking for. But it is your decision in the end.
Cheers,
kb

indo

Postby indo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:37 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
indo wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thanks

Cheers,
KB

Thanks

I'm still not convinced that taking it again will give you the reward you are looking for. But it is your decision in the end.
Cheers,
kb

thanks

kimchifriedrice

Postby kimchifriedrice » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello!

I am currently working on my applications for law schools. I have two LSAT records: a cancellation from the February 2014 LSAT and a 169 from the September 2014 LSAT. I cancelled my February score because I had made a terrible mistake of spending a night at a local inn, where I could not sleep because of unfavorable noise and room temperature problems, which translated into a bad test day. My September score was lower than my usual 172 average largely because of noise disruptions. Hence, LSAC offered to include a letter explaining the September testing circumstances in my CAS report.

I was convinced that I should write an addendum but I worry that I could sound whiny. Should I go ahead and write this addendum or not? I am aiming for top 5 law schools.

Thank you for your help!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:11 pm

kimchifriedrice wrote:Hello!

I am currently working on my applications for law schools. I have two LSAT records: a cancellation from the February 2014 LSAT and a 169 from the September 2014 LSAT. I cancelled my February score because I had made a terrible mistake of spending a night at a local inn, where I could not sleep because of unfavorable noise and room temperature problems, which translated into a bad test day. My September score was lower than my usual 172 average largely because of noise disruptions. Hence, LSAC offered to include a letter explaining the September testing circumstances in my CAS report.

I was convinced that I should write an addendum but I worry that I could sound whiny. Should I go ahead and write this addendum or not? I am aiming for top 5 law schools.

Thank you for your help!

Are you planning to retake? If yes, then write an addendum. If not, why not?

kimchifriedrice

Postby kimchifriedrice » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:47 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thank you for your help!

No, I don't plan to retake the test, mostly because I don't know if I could realistically raise my score by all that much. I thought it would reflect badly on me to take the test for the third time and end up with a mediocre score. I also would like to submit my applications as soon as possible and do not want them to be put on hold. I have a 4.01 LSDAS GPA at a top public university and am getting three academic letters from my research professors; I thought I still had a competitive profile. Do all of these facts combined mean that I shouldn't write an addendum?

Do you recommend me retaking the test? My scores ranged in the low-to-mid 170's on my PTs but I would seldom get 168-169. I actually did not perform very well on my SATs either yet excelled in college - perhaps I should include this fact in my addendum, if I do end up writing one? I got this idea from NYU's addendum guidelines: http://prelaw.cas.nyu.edu/docs/CP/2746/ ... elines.pdf ... Please see the third bullet under "Some Reasons to Write an Addendum".

Thank you so much!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 pm

kimchifriedrice wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:

Thank you for your help!

No, I don't plan to retake the test, mostly because I don't know if I could realistically raise my score by all that much. I thought it would reflect badly on me to take the test for the third time and end up with a mediocre score. I also would like to submit my applications as soon as possible and do not want them to be put on hold. I have a 4.01 LSDAS GPA at a top public university and am getting three academic letters from my research professors; I thought I still had a competitive profile. Do all of these facts combined mean that I shouldn't write an addendum?

Do you recommend me retaking the test? My scores ranged in the low-to-mid 170's on my PTs but I would seldom get 168-169. I actually did not perform very well on my SATs either yet excelled in college - perhaps I should include this fact in my addendum, if I do end up writing one? I got this idea from NYU's addendum guidelines: http://prelaw.cas.nyu.edu/docs/CP/2746/ ... elines.pdf ... Please see the third bullet under "Some Reasons to Write an Addendum".

Thank you so much!

You do not need to add an addendum here; I'm not sure that it would add value to your application.
If you don't think that you actually would do better, there really isn't much that you could say in an addendum about the distraction is there?
Retake only if you think you could do better. Your PT's sound about right for your result. it often goes down on test day.
I don't think a score in the 90th plus percentile would make a good "poor standardized test taker" addendum. It might just come off wrong.
It's not that your application isn't strong, I'm sure it is, but the competition is also strong at the top schools so make sure you apply to a broad range of schools.
Cheers,
KB

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaitealatte

Postby chaitealatte » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks again for doing this! In your opinion, do you look more favorably at splitters who have a high LSAT/low GPA or the other way around?

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”