Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

Pau.C.

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Pau.C. » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Pau.C. wrote:
Thanks for looking that up for me. I appreciate it. This is actually what I read, and why I was asking the question--what exactly would be resume material that adds value? I guess this question is hard to answer.

I know that I could easily have a 2 page resume, I just don't know if I SHOULD. I am wondering about the value of some of the contents. So I guess a better question would be:

What is it that law schools want to see in a resume? What kind of experiences/accomplishments should be included (add value)?

Thanks again.

It's hard for me to say what should stay and what should go on a resume without actually seeing what's on it. It is something that we help our clients with all the time, but it is pretty individualized. For example, a job at a retail shop in the summer may be worthwhile to keep on your resume if you don't have much other work experience, but it might be something that doesn't add much relative to the other work that you've had. Or if you participated in a day-long Earth Day clean up one time, that may not be worthy of space on a resume, but it might be relevant if you have other, more sustained volunteer experiences all relating to environmental issues.

Sections on the resume may include, but not limited to: Education, Work experience, Activities/Volunteer, honors/awards and skills/Interests

Cheers,
KB

LSA2015

Postby LSA2015 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:13 pm

On the topic of resumes and adding value, if I'm the youngest ever at something (e.g. appointed to a government board, reaching a certain position in a company, etc) in an established organizations history, is that something I should list, either in the description of the job or under an honors/awards/distinctions section?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:55 pm

LSA2015 wrote:On the topic of resumes and adding value, if I'm the youngest ever at something (e.g. appointed to a government board, reaching a certain position in a company, etc) in an established organizations history, is that something I should list, either in the description of the job or under an honors/awards/distinctions section?

It might make sense to add that in the description of the position. It's not exactly an honor or award, so it might look out of place there
Cheers,
KB

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am

Pau.C. wrote:Hello,

I know you have said multiple times that a lot of times, addendum explaining multiple LSATs are unnecessary, I am wondering when they are necessary.

For example, if "a friend" has taken the LSAT 3 times, would that require an addendum, and what do admission committees want to see in terms of an explanation?

Thanks!

P.S. I listened to the presentation Karen Buttenbaum gave last night about personal statements, and it was extremely helpful. Just wanted to say thanks!

Glad you found the presentation helpful! I think it is recoded somewhere on the Michigan State Law website if anyone is interested in listening to me drone on about personal statements :)

I don't think that 3 takes inherently needs an explanation, and you should only include one if it will add some value or add some helpful information. If you say "I just didn't study the first time and I also wasn't well-prepared the second time" that isn't really helping your application.
Think about what you'd add to your application by submitting an addendum. If you'd be revealing information that would be helpful to your application and to the decision-maker, it might make sense. But if you are going to tell them that you are "wicked obsessive about this stuff" or reveal something that may cast a shadow on your otherwise solid application, you may want to think twice.

Cheers,
KB

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 am

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey Spivey!

Any data on the recent LSAT takers?

Do you think this cycle will be easier, harder, or generally the same as last year's cycle (especially among the T14)?

McAvoy2

Postby McAvoy2 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:47 pm

How do schools view applicants who have applied multiple times to a school?

haus

Postby haus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:28 pm

McAvoy2 wrote:How do schools view applicants who have applied multiple times to a school?

I would suspect this would vary somewhat by what the result of the earlier applications were.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 pm

haus wrote:
McAvoy2 wrote:How do schools view applicants who have applied multiple times to a school?

I would suspect this would vary somewhat by what the result of the earlier applications were.

haus is right, but it also matters what is new or different in the application. If the applicant applies with the same materials (same score, same job, same everything) there may not be a good chance for a different decision. Multiple applications (two or sometimes three) are not inherently a bad thing or a strike against you. Ten applications may be a different story. :)

Cheers,
KB

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 pm

DetroitRed wrote:Hey Spivey!

Do you think this cycle will be easier, harder, or generally the same as last year's cycle (especially among the T14)?

September 2014 is down 8.1% and June 2014 was down 9.1% ( -17.2% total). Last year was -4.9% and -10.9% respectively (-15.8 total)

Should we expect medians to keep falling? Will T14s dip lower in GPAs to hold LSAT medians?

DetroitRed

Postby DetroitRed » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:42 pm

canadianbrother wrote:

September 2014 is down 8.1% and June 2014 was down 9.1% ( -17.2% total). Last year was -4.9% and -10.9% respectively (-15.8 total)

Should we expect medians to keep falling? Will T14s dip lower in GPAs to hold LSAT medians?

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it works quite the way you think it does. September 2014 was down 8.1% from the previous September/October administration. You can't add those decreases together.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 pm

DetroitRed wrote:
canadianbrother wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it works quite the way you think it does. September 2014 was down 8.1% from the previous September/October administration. You can't add those decreases together.

I understand that and that the number of takers for both tests are not the same but I just added it to show that the drop in those two tests for both years are similar, if not even greater this year.

Wow Sept 09 had 60k takers, Sept 14 had 30k.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

rebexness wrote:Mike-

Do you know if anyone (LSAC?) publishes data on the # of applicants from each state?

They do by region, not by state.

Cheers,
KB

Ccc34216

Postby Ccc34216 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi,

I had a question about transitioning from a graduate program to law school. I am in a PHD program in the humanities and have decided that it isn't for me . I've been in for a couple years now, and will finish with a Masters at the end of this year. Do law school admission committees care about leaving a PHD program early, as if it shows that you "couldn't make it" (that not being the case here though)?

Thanks!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Ccc34216 wrote:Hi,

I had a question about transitioning from a graduate program to law school. I am in a PHD program in the humanities and have decided that it isn't for me . I've been in for a couple years now, and will finish with a Masters at the end of this year. Do law school admission committees care about leaving a PHD program early, as if it shows that you "couldn't make it" (that not being the case here though)?

Thanks!

Not to worry! Leaving with a Masters is still earning a Masters, so that's good. There is no stigma in making this decision, and you might consider letting them know in some form on your application (as a sentence in your PS if it fits or perhaps as an addendum). If it wasn't the right fit, then it wasn't the right fit.

Cheers,
KB

sr27

Postby sr27 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how much a charge for misdemeanor assault would negatively impact one's admission chances? I know that misdemeanors for things like possession or public intoxication aren't necessarily a big deal, but assault seems like it might be. Incidentally, no one was hurt, and it has been expunged, but the details don't make me look great. This is with a good LSAT.

Thanks!

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 pm

sr27 wrote:Hi,

I was wondering how much a charge for misdemeanor assault would negatively impact one's admission chances? I know that misdemeanors for things like possession or public intoxication aren't necessarily a big deal, but assault seems like it might be. Incidentally, no one was hurt, and it has been expunged, but the details don't make me look great. This is with a good LSAT.

Thanks!

Your explanation will matter very much. Tone, content, and details will need to be balanced. If done right, it might not be too big of an issue. You have a few things in your favor: nobody was hurt, it was expunged, and hopefully it didn't just happen last week so you probably have some time to distance you from the incident.

Cheers,
KB

EQB

Postby EQB » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:08 am

Hi,

I am retaking the test in December, after a September score that was -5 from my average prep tests. How disadvantaged will I be if I submit everything mid December, and ask schools to withhold consideration until the December score comes in (maybe around Jan 1st)?

For my target school, Stanford, my GPA will be at or slightly above their new median, and I am fairly competitive in everything else.

How would this also affect scholarship offers from the T-14? It seems that a 175 3.9 will get you pretty far at most T-14s, but will it still do so applying in late December with a 170/175 multiple lsat?

JT90DC

Postby JT90DC » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:07 pm

What are your thoughts on using a Letter of Recommendation to supplement or substitute for an addendum?

To keep things general: I served as president of a prominent campus organization in my senior year, during which the organization experienced a number of high-profile incidents that I addressed. It was an incredibly stressful time that affected my well-being, and my grades sank during this time. After my term was over, I won campus honors and awards for my handling of the situation, and my grades recovered. I am considering asking the longtime adviser of the organization I led - a mentor I still keep in touch with years later - to write a LoR that addresses those incidents. He could discuss the leadership traits I demonstrated during that time. But I imagine I would specifically ask him to substantiate the incidents that affected my grades.

I'm a splitter with a high LSAT but GPA .2 under my goal school's 25% median, and being five years removed from undergrad, I don't have a true academic rec. So I feel it's critical that I address my grades. (This individual also taught me in a non-major class, but it was an unusual experiential course, and I couldn't use him as a traditional academic rec.)

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:30 pm

So here is an interesting question: how does an admissions office receive a candidates lsac file. Is there a server and a directly downloadable PDF file becomes accessible? Is there a place online where they log in and get a link to the PDFs?

My issue is this: print my app preview from a web browser decimates my app. Italics are turned into some weird font. I am really hoping they don't print from a browser.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:48 pm

EQB wrote:Hi,

I am retaking the test in December, after a September score that was -5 from my average prep tests. How disadvantaged will I be if I submit everything mid December, and ask schools to withhold consideration until the December score comes in (maybe around Jan 1st)?

For my target school, Stanford, my GPA will be at or slightly above their new median, and I am fairly competitive in everything else.

How would this also affect scholarship offers from the T-14? It seems that a 175 3.9 will get you pretty far at most T-14s, but will it still do so applying in late December with a 170/175 multiple lsat?

Applications are handled differently at each school, but you do run the risk of being reviewed with the lower score, and then held for a decision until the next score comes in. In many cases, making that first impression a few weeks later is a better option. A 175/3.9 that becomes complete in January is still going to rise to the top of the pool because it is a 175/3.9

Hope that helps!
KB

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:53 pm

JT90DC wrote:What are your thoughts on using a Letter of Recommendation to supplement or substitute for an addendum?

To keep things general: I served as president of a prominent campus organization in my senior year, during which the organization experienced a number of high-profile incidents that I addressed. It was an incredibly stressful time that affected my well-being, and my grades sank during this time. After my term was over, I won campus honors and awards for my handling of the situation, and my grades recovered. I am considering asking the longtime adviser of the organization I led - a mentor I still keep in touch with years later - to write a LoR that addresses those incidents. He could discuss the leadership traits I demonstrated during that time. But I imagine I would specifically ask him to substantiate the incidents that affected my grades.

I'm a splitter with a high LSAT but GPA .2 under my goal school's 25% median, and being five years removed from undergrad, I don't have a true academic rec. So I feel it's critical that I address my grades. (This individual also taught me in a non-major class, but it was an unusual experiential course, and I couldn't use him as a traditional academic rec.)

I don't think it is a bad idea to have your LOR address your maturity or leadership or whatever characteristics you demonstrated during this time. However, I don't think that it should be a substitute for your own words about the subject - don't let someone else speak for you on something like this.

Cheers,
Karen

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”