Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

MikeSpivey

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:36 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
madz wrote:Count me in! Sounds awesome

+12. We set (unless someone can't make the draft date). Speaking of, it would be most awesome if we could do it Sunday evening, August 24th. We will take all of this up in the league board, though, as Karen may sue me if I keep talking about FF here.

Setup the league and sent out invitations. If you're planning on joining, PM me your email address so I can send you an invitation. Thanks!

PMed

Ok, our commish will hopefully send you in invite (I just PM'd him) to replace the guy who just bailed.

joeisreallycool

Postby joeisreallycool » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
madz wrote:Count me in! Sounds awesome

+12. We set (unless someone can't make the draft date). Speaking of, it would be most awesome if we could do it Sunday evening, August 24th. We will take all of this up in the league board, though, as Karen may sue me if I keep talking about FF here.

Setup the league and sent out invitations. If you're planning on joining, PM me your email address so I can send you an invitation. Thanks!

PMed

Thanks man, just left the league now.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Ok. Mayday mayday for FF.

Because that one guy couldn't make it and resigned (rightfully) the league only had 11/12 an hour before the draft and espn shut us down. Compounding the problem they won't let the commish reschedule a time.

SO, he is having to make a whole new league right now and I will post the link, login here. In a matter of minutes. I and he will also try to PM and email all of you.

More soon.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:49 pm

The password and link are below

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join ... eKey=3d41e
password: tlsforums

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:50 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:The password and link are below

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join ... eKey=3d41e
password: tlsforums

Doesn't work.

CFC1524

Postby CFC1524 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Edit: See my post below
Last edited by CFC1524 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFC1524

Postby CFC1524 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Another update for the fantasy football league. We had to create a 3rd league, so everyone needs to sign-up again. Draft time is 9:30pm EST. We need to have 10 people signed up an hour before the draft - if we don't, the draft automatically cancels itself (this is the problem we keep running into). Info below.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join ... eKey=83d33
Password: tlsforums

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 pm

CFC1524 wrote:Info for the new FF league. Sign up!

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join ... eKey=73f1e

Sorry for the confusion - The draft time is set for 8:15pm EST tonight.

Here is the final word. We have to have 10 people an hour before. So we are scheduling for 9:30pm est. We need 10 people in an hour before, ie 8:30pm est, or the league keeps canceling itself. So invite anyone you know right now. It is an open league first 10 are in. I am going to post on Facebook too. Feel free to do the same.

Here is the final login is:

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join ... eKey=83d33

Joe, from hells heart I stab at thee
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Irish11

Postby Irish11 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm

CFC1524 wrote:Another update for the fantasy football league. We had to create a 3rd league, so everyone needs to sign-up again. Draft time is 9:30pm EST. We need to have 10 people signed up an hour before the draft - if we don't, the draft automatically cancels itself (this is the problem we keep running into). Info below.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join ... eKey=83d33

That's three attempts at thinking of a clever team name and three failures to do so. Thank goodness the LSAT doesn't involve puns.

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:05 am

Another perhaps mildly interesting question regarding how best to present my application.

I doubt this is worth a GPA addendum, but I figured I'd ask for a professional opinion just in case. I had a 3.8 in my first year. In second year I turned legal age for gambling and discovered a love of poker and that I was pretty darn good at it. I was making six figures per year playing online while in school. With that kind of financial opportunity, I was pouring far more time into studying and learning the game than I was into my academics, which consequently suffered. In 2nd and 3rd year my GPA was down in the 3.4 range. When the US Unlawful Internet Gambling Act came into play at the beginning of my final year, I decided that it was time to quit playing. I turned my energy back into academics and finished with a 4.1 in my last year.

There wasn't any personal hardship, addiction, or medical issues involved. It was just a financially smart decision at the time.

If an addendum isn't warranted, would this be considered an interesting soft in any way? Or am I best not mentioning it at all as a somewhat controversial topic?

haus

Postby haus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:59 am

Fry,

I do not work in admissions, but I have done quite a bit of hiring. It is likely best to stay away form the explanation that you would have done better in school if it would not have been for the illegal gambling that you were focused on. Trust me, the notion that you turned away from the illegal gambling once it appeared that the chances of getting caught had increased does little to sell the story to your benefit.

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 am

haus wrote:Fry,

I do not work in admissions, but I have done quite a bit of hiring. It is likely best to stay away form the explanation that you would have done better in school if it would not have been for the illegal gambling that you were focused on. Trust me, the notion that you turned away from the illegal gambling once it appeared that the chances of getting caught had increased does little to sell the story to your benefit.

It was completely legal where I'm from (and still is). I quit after the Act passed in the US because an enormous number of casual (re: bad) players had to give it up making the games far less lucrative.

haus

Postby haus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 am

P.J.Fry wrote:

It was completely legal where I'm from (and still is). I quit after the Act passed in the US because an enormous number of casual (re: bad) players had to give it up making the games far less lucrative.

Honestly, for most employers, it would not matter if it was legal or not (or if you thought is was legal), the reference would have your correspondence about a job sent directly to the recycle bin. Perhaps some schools might be interested in taking a walk on the wild side, but I suspect that the number who would will be far smaller than the number that would walk away from an application that had such a reference.

Regardless, good luck with your cycle.

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 am

haus wrote:
P.J.Fry wrote:

Honestly, for most employers, it would not matter if it was legal or not (or if you thought is was legal), the reference would have your correspondence about a job sent directly to the recycle bin. Perhaps some schools might be interested in taking a walk on the wild side, but I suspect that the number who would will be far smaller than the number that would walk away from an application that had such a reference.

Regardless, good luck with your cycle.

That was the type of response I wanted to hear, thanks. I really don't know how adcomms would view something like that. To be honest, until you mentioned it, I had forgot it was technically illegal in the States even before the Act. Everyone just did it anyway.

Would your response be any different if instead of playing online, I was a TV pro that played live games? Or is gambling in general something that is probably best to be avoided?

For what it's worth, the reason I would want to include it is because to be successful at it, it requires a high level of intelligence, emotional control, dedication, study, and financial management skills. Many or all of those can be directly or indirectly applied to success in other professions (including law IMO).

stellina

Postby stellina » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Last edited by stellina on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:33 pm

stellina wrote:Hey guys, I have a question about reapplying after already being accepted:

I was set to attend law school on the east coast this year. However, over the summer my SO got a great job in the Bay Area, so I decided to withdraw from that school and reapply this year to Stanford and Berkeley, both of which I was accepted at the first time around. I know I should include an addendum explaining why I'm reapplying, but do I need to write a completely new PS or can I basically just reuse the old one?

Thanks in advance!

I would 100% use a new PS. You need to show that you are indeed very committed this time around, and that is one way to show it.

stellina

Postby stellina » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks a bunch!

Pau.C.

Postby Pau.C. » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Pau.C. wrote:
I have a follow up question to this. Should reapplicants include an addendum when reapplying? And what would an adcomm like to see in one? I guess they would differ depending on if I am reapplying to a school I was previously accepted to or if it is a school I was previously denied at.

Thanks!

If previously denied/not admitted from WL - no addendum
If admitted - it really depends on the individual circumstances, but it might be helpful since you turned them down once. Be humble and super brief if you do decide to write one.

Cheers,
KB

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:22 am

A Q re LORs---I earned an MA in an accelerated 1.5 yr program...the program was at a large university, but the program itself was small. I had the same couple of profs for a couple of different classes. I'm wondering if it would look bad if I did not have any LORs from my MA program?

The only reason I'm considering going with only LORs from my UG profs is that I was very close with these people (college population of ~900 students) and was in the same program with 4-5 profs for 4 years. I still keep in touch with these profs as well, even tho I graduated in 2011. IMO these ppl have a more informed opinion of me.

But, is getting at least 1 LOR from someone at my MA school TCR here?

KarenButtenbaum

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:31 pm

BillPackets wrote:A Q re LORs---I earned an MA in an accelerated 1.5 yr program...the program was at a large university, but the program itself was small. I had the same couple of profs for a couple of different classes. I'm wondering if it would look bad if I did not have any LORs from my MA program?

The only reason I'm considering going with only LORs from my UG profs is that I was very close with these people (college population of ~900 students) and was in the same program with 4-5 profs for 4 years. I still keep in touch with these profs as well, even tho I graduated in 2011. IMO these ppl have a more informed opinion of me.

You are the best judge of who is going to give you the best recommendation, so I would advise you to go with your instinct here. What matters is that it is an academic letter - being from UG or grad school doesn't make much of a difference.
You should pat yourself on the back for keeping in touch with your UG profs!

Cheers,
KB

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
BillPackets wrote:A Q re LORs---I earned an MA in an accelerated 1.5 yr program...the program was at a large university, but the program itself was small. I had the same couple of profs for a couple of different classes. I'm wondering if it would look bad if I did not have any LORs from my MA program?

You are the best judge of who is going to give you the best recommendation, so I would advise you to go with your instinct here. What matters is that it is an academic letter - being from UG or grad school doesn't make much of a difference.
You should pat yourself on the back for keeping in touch with your UG profs!

Cheers,
KB

Ok great--thank you! I didn't know if it would look suspect.

appind

Postby appind » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 am

Last edited by appind on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousApplicant

Postby AnonymousApplicant » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm sure that these two questions that I am going to ask have likely already been asked on this forum, or else in some other place on top-law-schools.com, but I just wanted to know, first, whether and to what degree my chances of getting accepted into HYSC will be diminished if I take the LSAT in December as opposed to September and, second, whether the fact that my older sister is an alumnus at HYSC (I won't specify which one) would give me a better shot at getting into that school. A brief response will do, and I thank all of you ahead of time for your help.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”