Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
0
No votes
2. Podcast advice
0
No votes
3. Video advice
0
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
0
No votes
5. Tweet it
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 0

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Sweeny12 wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

This thread is really big so sorry if this has been addressed.

I'm curious how a 4th LSAT retake looks. I took it 3 times about 2 years ago during undergrad without doing enough substantial prep like I should have done (stupid :oops: ).

Scored between the 50-60th percentile.

I have been studying and PTing over the last 20 tests with an average of 169. I'm worried that the three bad scores will hurt me even if I get a really good score in September (assuming I score around what my average has been).

What would you suggest I do when application time comes?


The time gap helps, and at the end of the day, the high score is what they'll report. You can add a very brief addendum, if that's what you are asking... but they might assume that anyway :)
good luck and go for it!
Cheers,
KB


What does this answer have to do with Fantasy Football?

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby xylocarp » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:32 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:
Sweeny12 wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

This thread is really big so sorry if this has been addressed.

I'm curious how a 4th LSAT retake looks. I took it 3 times about 2 years ago during undergrad without doing enough substantial prep like I should have done (stupid :oops: ).

Scored between the 50-60th percentile.

I have been studying and PTing over the last 20 tests with an average of 169. I'm worried that the three bad scores will hurt me even if I get a really good score in September (assuming I score around what my average has been).

What would you suggest I do when application time comes?

The time gap helps, and at the end of the day, the high score is what they'll report. You can add a very brief addendum, if that's what you are asking... but they might assume that anyway :)
good luck and go for it!
Cheers,
KB


What does this answer have to do with Fantasy Football?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 pm

xylocarp wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:What does this answer have to do with Fantasy Football?

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Oy.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:46 pm

Are any more needed for FF

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Are any more needed for FF


We need 3, you in? If yes we now need2!!

MDziedzic
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MDziedzic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am

Can I have a spot also?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:18 pm

MDziedzic wrote:Can I have a spot also?


Yes on CFC1524 we now need one more. Thanks

User avatar
jw316
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby jw316 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
MDziedzic wrote:Can I have a spot also?


Yes on CFC1524 we now need one more. Thanks


Haha I'll bite if you still need one more

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:19 pm

jw316 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
MDziedzic wrote:Can I have a spot also?


Yes on CFC1524 we now need one more. Thanks


Haha I'll bite if you still need one more


I think this closes it out, we will await word from our commissioner please make sure you have PM'd him. Thanks all!

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Who is the commissioner so I can PM?

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby CFC1524 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:Who is the commissioner so I can PM?


Ready and at your service. Shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you an invitation to join the league.

User avatar
P.J.Fry
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby P.J.Fry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:38 am

I wrote the LSAT in Sept 2007 while I was entering my final year of undergrad and went through the application cycle that year. I ended up choosing not to attend in favor of going out and getting some real world experience.

I am writing the LSAT again this September and going to go through this coming admissions cycle.

My question is related to my LOR's. I had two academic LOR's from my undergrad that were written in 2007. These were both from professors familiar with my academic ability and with whom I had good relationships with. These are both still available on my LSAC account page. First of all, when applying, will schools see a date attached to these letters indicating when they were written? If yes, would it be seen very negatively that they were from seven years ago?

I have not kept in contact with these professors over the years, and do not feel they could write a very informative updated letter were I to ask them again. I have also regularly moved all over the country/world the last few years, and I have not had any direct supervisor who has known me for much time.

I feel the older LOR's would be the best representation of my academic abilities available (if anything, I'd be even better now). Are they OK? Any advice for if they are not?

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:26 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:I wrote the LSAT in Sept 2007 while I was entering my final year of undergrad and went through the application cycle that year. I ended up choosing not to attend in favor of going out and getting some real world experience.

I am writing the LSAT again this September and going to go through this coming admissions cycle.

My question is related to my LOR's. I had two academic LOR's from my undergrad that were written in 2007. These were both from professors familiar with my academic ability and with whom I had good relationships with. These are both still available on my LSAC account page. First of all, when applying, will schools see a date attached to these letters indicating when they were written? If yes, would it be seen very negatively that they were from seven years ago?

I have not kept in contact with these professors over the years, and do not feel they could write a very informative updated letter were I to ask them again. I have also regularly moved all over the country/world the last few years, and I have not had any direct supervisor who has known me for much time.

I feel the older LOR's would be the best representation of my academic abilities available (if anything, I'd be even better now). Are they OK? Any advice for if they are not?


It is highly likely that the schools will see the date on the letter, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since most schools value academic letters of rec, it makes sense that some might be a few years old. I would recommend that you supplement those letters with a more recent LOR from an employer to be sure that you have something that is current in your file.
Don't fret too much about it and be happy that you have something on file and don't have to go back and ask them again. Tho you may want to reach out to the recommended and update them on your plans - on the off chance that someone follows up with them.

Cheers,
Karen

joeisreallycool
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby joeisreallycool » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi Mike and Karen,

For the June LSAT I signed up and just didn't show up. No withdrawal or date change or cancellation, just straight up did no go and told no one. Will this effect my admissions process at all?

Thanks,

Joe

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:47 pm

joeisreallycool wrote:Hi Mike and Karen,

For the June LSAT I signed up and just didn't show up. No withdrawal or date change or cancellation, just straight up did no go and told no one. Will this effect my admissions process at all?

Thanks,

Joe


I am pretty sure that this will be reflected as an "Absent" on the score report, but the reality is that it won't really mean much to the reader other than you registered for it and didn't take it. Good luck on the next test!

Cheers,
KB

User avatar
P.J.Fry
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby P.J.Fry » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:51 pm

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
It is highly likely that the schools will see the date on the letter, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since most schools value academic letters of rec, it makes sense that some might be a few years old. I would recommend that you supplement those letters with a more recent LOR from an employer to be sure that you have something that is current in your file.
Don't fret too much about it and be happy that you have something on file and don't have to go back and ask them again. Tho you may want to reach out to the recommended and update them on your plans - on the off chance that someone follows up with them.

Cheers,
Karen


I will definitely send them emails - good idea, thanks!

I assume its probably unnecessary then to submit a short addenda explaining why they are old?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:56 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:
It is highly likely that the schools will see the date on the letter, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since most schools value academic letters of rec, it makes sense that some might be a few years old. I would recommend that you supplement those letters with a more recent LOR from an employer to be sure that you have something that is current in your file.
Don't fret too much about it and be happy that you have something on file and don't have to go back and ask them again. Tho you may want to reach out to the recommended and update them on your plans - on the off chance that someone follows up with them.

Cheers,
Karen


I will definitely send them emails - good idea, thanks!

I assume its probably unnecessary then to submit a short addenda explaining why they are old?


Philip J. Fry, are the letters date stamped?

Also, I'll trade you free consulting for your last can of sardines on the planet which I will then sell to Mom's Friendly Robots for a few billion.

User avatar
KarenButtenbaum
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby KarenButtenbaum » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:47 pm

P.J.Fry wrote:
I will definitely send them emails - good idea, thanks!

I assume its probably unnecessary then to submit a short addenda explaining why they are old?


There is a chance that they might not notice that they are old, but the date they were submitted will be available through LSAC information. It might be a good idea to submit a very, very brief addendum to cover all bases.
Cheers,
KB

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:56 pm

We still have room for 1 more for FF, btw. PM me or commish, draft is tomorrow night!

User avatar
P.J.Fry
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby P.J.Fry » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
P.J.Fry wrote:
KarenButtenbaum wrote:
It is highly likely that the schools will see the date on the letter, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since most schools value academic letters of rec, it makes sense that some might be a few years old. I would recommend that you supplement those letters with a more recent LOR from an employer to be sure that you have something that is current in your file.
Don't fret too much about it and be happy that you have something on file and don't have to go back and ask them again. Tho you may want to reach out to the recommended and update them on your plans - on the off chance that someone follows up with them.

Cheers,
Karen


I will definitely send them emails - good idea, thanks!

I assume its probably unnecessary then to submit a short addenda explaining why they are old?


Philip J. Fry, are the letters date stamped?

Also, I'll trade you free consulting for your last can of sardines on the planet which I will then sell to Mom's Friendly Robots for a few billion.


I do not know if the letters are date stamped - I have not actually read them.

I'd prefer to save the sardines for my pizza 8)

joeisreallycool
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby joeisreallycool » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Mike I'm probably not going to be able to make the draft tonight because I have to move in. Is anyone on this thread here willing to take my spot? If not I can try and move some things around.

User avatar
thequigley
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby thequigley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Spivey,

I took the LSAT back in Oct 2010. The score was horrendous; below the test's median. I have improved my score and would anticipate it being around the upper 160's come test day. Since this was four years ago and I was so young, do I do an addendum?

Further, my GPA on LSAC is 3.36. In reality, I graduated with a 3.7 on my bachelors in two years. The reason it is a 3.36...classes at a community college during high school. Is this another addendum?

I don't want to be submitting a ton of additional materials, unless you suggest it be appropriate.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Can anyone take Joe's FF draft spot tonight at 8pm est?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:11 pm

thequigley wrote:Spivey,

I took the LSAT back in Oct 2010. The score was horrendous; below the test's median. I have improved my score and would anticipate it being around the upper 160's come test day. Since this was four years ago and I was so young, do I do an addendum?

Further, my GPA on LSAC is 3.36. In reality, I graduated with a 3.7 on my bachelors in two years. The reason it is a 3.36...classes at a community college during high school. Is this another addendum?

I don't want to be submitting a ton of additional materials, unless you suggest it be appropriate.



I don't you think you want an addendum for either. You are fine.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:23 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
madz wrote:Count me in! Sounds awesome


+12. We set (unless someone can't make the draft date). Speaking of, it would be most awesome if we could do it Sunday evening, August 24th. We will take all of this up in the league board, though, as Karen may sue me if I keep talking about FF here.


Setup the league and sent out invitations. If you're planning on joining, PM me your email address so I can send you an invitation. Thanks!


PMed


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest