Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
No votes
2. Podcast advice
No votes
3. Video advice
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
No votes
5. Tweet it
No votes

Total votes: 0

simplytea

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby simplytea » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Also--another quick question.

What are your opinions on waiting a(nother) year and applying? Do you think we are at the peak of the decline in applications, or that there will be a large difference between acceptances this coming application period and the next?

More specifically, should I apply this fall and plan on deferring, or should I apply in a year?

I'm having a mid-early-life crisis crisis :shock:

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Not gonna lie, a little jealous that this FF contest is for 15-16ers :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:53 pm

rebexness wrote:Not gonna lie, a little jealous that this FF contest is for 15-16ers :)
rebexness wrote:Not gonna lie, a little jealous that this FF contest is for 15-16ers :)

Why don't you help SimplyTea, that would put us at +5.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:58 pm

simplytea wrote:Also--another quick question.

What are your opinions on waiting a(nother) year and applying? Do you think we are at the peak of the decline in applications, or that there will be a large difference between acceptances this coming application period and the next?

More specifically, should I apply this fall and plan on deferring, or should I apply in a year?

I'm having a mid-early-life crisis crisis :shock:

Simplytea, I would highly likely not sit out a year based on anyone's predictions on what the next cycle will be like as far as applications. These predictions are very hard to make, and all we know is that at some point the market will level off our rebound. This cycle, on the other hand, looks like it will be a favorable one for applicants based on early indicators.

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 am

mornincounselor wrote:When you say "15-16" you mean the actual cycle which takes place during that time? I assumed it meant the cycle for those planning on attending in 15-16 i.e. this coming cycle. If I'm mistaken though there wouldn't be any sense for me to participate, I will almost certainly be in this coming cycle.

I initially meant that application cycle, because of the two prizes for 1st/2nd place. But I think I will open it up for all, because I want to get the league populated so we can have a draft. I will keep a running total of who is interested here with their screen name initials.

So, open to all. If you are this cycle and win, you get a free hours worth of phone call advice. If second, you get a free call for 30 minutes. We also need a commish to set it up, pretty please. Please spread the word, the sooner we finalize the sooner we draft!

Mike

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:13 am

Count me in if there is still room.

CFC1524

Postby CFC1524 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 am

mornincounselor wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:When you say "15-16" you mean the actual cycle which takes place during that time? I assumed it meant the cycle for those planning on attending in 15-16 i.e. this coming cycle. If I'm mistaken though there wouldn't be any sense for me to participate, I will almost certainly be in this coming cycle.

I initially meant that application cycle, because of the two prizes for 1st/2nd place. But I think I will open it up for all, because I want to get the league populated so we can have a draft. I will keep a running total of who is interested here with their screen name initials.

So, open to all. If you are this cycle and win, you get a free hours worth of phone call advice. If second, you get a free call for 30 minutes. We also need a commish to set it up, pretty please. Please spread the word, the sooner we finalize the sooner we draft!

Mike

Great, thanks for this Mike. I will post about this competition in the September Study Thread and I imagine there will be an influx of interested parties.

Count me in - I'll set-up the league and post the sign-up details (league name / password) when I get home from work. Is there a separate thread on TLS, or are we organizing things here?

Looks like we're at +7, by the way. Do we want a 10-team or a 12-team league?

simplytea

Postby simplytea » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 am

Mike, thanks for your response.

To clarify, I mean that I had always planned to apply and then defer this cycle, but am wondering if it was a better idea to just wait a year. I wouldn't be able to move this coming year (hence the deferral), but was planning on applying in hopes that the scholarship would stick to wherever I was going when I deferred for the next year.

Is it a good idea to apply with the intent to defer, or better to just wait a year instead?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:53 am

CFC1524 wrote:
mornincounselor wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:

Mike

Great, thanks for this Mike. I will post about this competition in the September Study Thread and I imagine there will be an influx of interested parties.

Count me in - I'll set-up the league and post the sign-up details (league name / password) when I get home from work. Is there a separate thread on TLS, or are we organizing things here?

Looks like we're at +7, by the way. Do we want a 10-team or a 12-team league?

You are the man/woman/human!

We are at +7, (+8 if Tea is in)

Me
Jennifer Winslow
JR from a PM
F from a PM just now
and the others who have chimed in on this thread.

I personally like 12 because it makes it a bit more strategic and challenging, but I don't care all that much. Lets seen how quickly we get to 10 I guess.

Thanks!

simplytea

Postby simplytea » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm in! Nothing to lose, right? :)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:12 pm

simplytea wrote:I'm in! Nothing to lose, right? :)

+8.

CFC1524 can we not do that silly points per reception scoring. I've always thought that was imbalanced. (Or "IMBA" for anyone who used to be a nerd like me and play WCIII back in the day. Also, I am 2-0 versus TLS'ers on WCIII ROC, which is an absurd thing to be)

Irish11

Postby Irish11 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm in. My fantasy strategy involves not picking players I don't like or who play for teams I don't like. One of these years it'll work. (Go Browns.)

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Irish11 wrote:I'm in. My fantasy strategy involves not picking players I don't like or who play for teams I don't like. One of these years it'll work. (Go Browns.)

+9, and that sounds about right for me too as far as strategies.

Can everyone PM our might leader, CFC1524, with your email addresses so he can set up the league. At some point all this FF talk will start upsetting people with application questions, so we will take to league board as soon as we have one and get a 10th (or 12th). THANKS!~

DavidConeSplitter

Postby DavidConeSplitter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Count me in! PMing now

CFC1524

Postby CFC1524 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:44 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
simplytea wrote:I'm in! Nothing to lose, right? :)

+8.

CFC1524 can we not do that silly points per reception scoring. I've always thought that was imbalanced. (Or "IMBA" for anyone who used to be a nerd like me and play WCIII back in the day. Also, I am 2-0 versus TLS'ers on WCIII ROC, which is an absurd thing to be)

Sure - I've played in a PPR league before, and the rule change does seem to unbalance things a little bit.

I'm thinking a standard snake draft? I usually do auctions (and I'm open to doing one again), but a snake might be a better idea since some people might not have played before.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Question re: recommendations. I have a rec from a professor in the bank from a few years ago. The rec letter discusses my then double major at the time of writing. I only finished with one degree, not a double major as I was then planning on finishing. Will this be weird for adcomms or will they recognize that things changed? The letter was written 1-2 years before graduation, about 3-4 years ago.

joeisreallycool

Postby joeisreallycool » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:00 pm

I want in on that FF league if there is still room. ESPN or yahoo by the way?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:24 pm

joeisreallycool wrote:I want in on that FF league if there is still room. ESPN or yahoo by the way?

+10, need to more and it is closed. We'll do a snake draft. We will also take this all to league board after 2 more members.

longhorn65

Postby longhorn65 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:58 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
joeisreallycool wrote:I want in on that FF league if there is still room. ESPN or yahoo by the way?

+10, need to more and it is closed. We'll do a snake draft. We will also take this all to league board after 2 more members.

COUNT ME IN!

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Hey Mike/Karen et al, I'd like to make use of a law school admissions consultant, but basically only to help with my personal statement (and maybe DS). Do you guys offer anything that specific or just the 2 grand for the whole service deal?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:37 pm

james.bungles wrote:Hey Mike/Karen et al, I'd like to make use of a law school admissions consultant, but basically only to help with my personal statement (and maybe DS). Do you guys offer anything that specific or just the 2 grand for the whole service deal?

We added Jayme McKellop, from Chicago Law School, for just that. PM me for her email address thanks!

madz

Postby madz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:52 pm

Count me in! Sounds awesome

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:54 pm

madz wrote:Count me in! Sounds awesome

+12. We set (unless someone can't make the draft date). Speaking of, it would be most awesome if we could do it Sunday evening, August 24th. We will take all of this up in the league board, though, as Karen may sue me if I keep talking about FF here.

Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”