Spivey Consulting Q&A with Adcoms from Yale, Harvard, Penn, Chicago etc.

Special forum where professionals are encouraged to help law school applicants, students, and graduates.

Which would you prefer most?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:05 am

1. Blog advice
0
No votes
2. Podcast advice
0
No votes
3. Video advice
0
No votes
4. Just keep it all on TLS
0
No votes
5. Tweet it
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 0

packer_22
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby packer_22 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Mike,

That helps, but let me ask a follow up. I understand it hurts to be below median, but what is the effect of being at or one above median, specifically for the LSAT? (as background I'm trying to decide whether or not to retake a 173, with a 3.8x).

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

packer_22 wrote:Mike,

That helps, but let me ask a follow up. I understand it hurts to be below median, but what is the effect of being at or one above median, specifically for the LSAT? (as background I'm trying to decide whether or not to retake a 173, with a 3.8x).


Generally if at medians, you may have to wait a bit (just like in the example above). If above even by just 1, you should get an admit early in the cycle.

It looks like you are referring to t3. I really can't stress enough how important your entire application is going to be for you. I know that may sound like a plug for admissions consultants but it is the way things break. I'll give you some more advice, or whatever this is -- pick a few schools, apply as early as possible, and go visit them. Let them know you are visiting. You should be fine.

packer_22
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby packer_22 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Mike!

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:14 am

Two new blogs up just now.

When do law school applications open? (T14 only but we will be adding to this calendar)

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/open/

On the ABA 10% Allowance

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/questi ... dmissions/

Thoughts on this are very welcome.

Enjoy! Please thank our intern for her great infographic work!

thestatusguo
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby thestatusguo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:12 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Two new blogs up just now.

When do law school applications open? (T14 only but we will be adding to this calendar)

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/open/

On the ABA 10% Allowance

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/questi ... dmissions/

Thoughts on this are very welcome.

Enjoy! Please thank our intern for her great infographic work!


<3 them Spivey blog posts. But actually. Also <3 Spivey + Karen too :D

Pau.C.
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Pau.C. » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:33 pm

.
Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Just an fyi, and not that this likely will ever have any consequence, but did you know that schools can tell how many times a day you refresh the status checker? Yup --I just heard a dean of admissions say they record at their school was over 1000. In a day.

User avatar
jrf12886
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby jrf12886 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:01 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi, and not that this likely will ever have any consequence, but did you know that schools can tell how many times a day you refresh the status checker? Yup --I just heard a dean of admissions say they record at their school was over 1000. In a day.


As long as they can't see how often I log into TLS...

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi, and not that this likely will ever have any consequence, but did you know that schools can tell how many times a day you refresh the status checker? Yup --I just heard a dean of admissions say they record at their school was over 1000. In a day.


As long as they can't see how often I log into TLS...


"You know nothing, jrf12886"

thestatusguo
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby thestatusguo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:02 am

MikeSpivey wrote:Just an fyi, and not that this likely will ever have any consequence, but did you know that schools can tell how many times a day you refresh the status checker? Yup --I just heard a dean of admissions say they record at their school was over 1000. In a day.


Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no.

User avatar
lilyt93
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby lilyt93 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Many of us are planning summer visits to law schools and would love the chance to talk to someone from admissions or (even better) the dean of admissions. If the dean's contact information is available on his/her school bio page, would you recommend emailing him/her directly about setting up a time to talk rather than calling the main admissions number?

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:08 pm

lilyt93 wrote:Many of us are planning summer visits to law schools and would love the chance to talk to someone from admissions or (even better) the dean of admissions. If the dean's contact information is available on his/her school bio page, would you recommend emailing him/her directly about setting up a time to talk rather than calling the main admissions number?


A ton depends on the size of the school, that office, prestige, etc so I would default to just emailing the main admissions line and asking if it would be okay to see the dean of admissions or an admissions officer (read file-reader) briefly during the visit.

I think I wrote a blog on email protocol somewhere but if you are going to email the dean of admissions, make sure you have the exact time of your visit in mind and try to some how convey you aren't going to take up much of their time.

GL!

User avatar
lilyt93
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby lilyt93 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
A ton depends on the size of the school, that office, prestige, etc so I would default to just emailing the main admissions line and asking if it would be okay to see the dean of admissions or an admissions officer (read file-reader) briefly during the visit.

I think I wrote a blog on email protocol somewhere but if you are going to email the dean of admissions, make sure you have the exact time of your visit in mind and try to some how convey you aren't going to take up much of their time.

GL!


Thanks! Any advice for when a relatively prestigious alumnus has specifically suggested that you see the dean and say hi for him? That's the situation I'm in for the law school I'm visiting in a couple of weeks, and I'm considering sending a direct email to the dean that mentions that to gain some credibility.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 pm

lilyt93 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
A ton depends on the size of the school, that office, prestige, etc so I would default to just emailing the main admissions line and asking if it would be okay to see the dean of admissions or an admissions officer (read file-reader) briefly during the visit.

I think I wrote a blog on email protocol somewhere but if you are going to email the dean of admissions, make sure you have the exact time of your visit in mind and try to some how convey you aren't going to take up much of their time.

GL!


Thanks! Any advice for when a relatively prestigious alumnus has specifically suggested that you see the dean and say hi for him? That's the situation I'm in for the law school I'm visiting in a couple of weeks, and I'm considering sending a direct email to the dean that mentions that to gain some credibility.


Oh yea that's a no -brainer. "Dear Dean Buttenbaum, Tiger Woods asked that I reach out to you as I will be visiting Princeton Law"...

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Here are the dates that applications open up for all top 50 schools that have had the decency to tell us so far. (edit, I count 36/50)
http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/open/

User avatar
lilyt93
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby lilyt93 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:55 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Oh yea that's a no -brainer. "Dear Dean Buttenbaum, Tiger Woods asked that I reach out to you as I will be visiting Princeton Law"...


Great, thanks so much for the help! I'm also excited for the cycle data tomorrow!! :)

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:07 pm

So for anyone in Chicago and/or going to the Chicago fair. Karen and I will be there too, visiting with old colleagues, attending an event, and hopefully speaking at 1-2 schools.

But here is the fun part. We are going to try to get a conference room at one of the law firms we have connections at and do a Friday afternoon talk. The theme of the talk is going to be "How to Impress Admissions People"...or something to that effect so that you can take it to the forum the next day.

A. Does this sound good?

B. What time do you think would be ideal?

Thanks!

User avatar
Dream_weaver32
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Dream_weaver32 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Question regarding why x essays. I will be submitting a PS and Diversity statement, and am curious as to how many items is too many in an application packet?

Cradle6
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Cradle6 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Karen and Mike,

I just had a question about how admissions views GPA right out of the gate.

For context I'm at the University of Texas, which does not award the A+. Though my GPA is near perfect, it is impossible for me to be above a 4.0 because of this policy.

So I wanted to know what goes through your mind if you see a 3.99 versus say a 4.1?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby HorseThief » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am

Have you gotten your LSDAS gpa yet? My school credited an A+ as a 4.0, but LSAC adjusted my LSDAS gpa accordingly. Maybe they'll do something similar for you.

Also, a 3.99 is above everyone's 75 percentile, so I think every school would love it.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby MikeSpivey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:51 am

Here is the (essentially) data for this entire past cycle. Enjoy!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/aba-ap ... ious-year/

Also, please feel free to share wherever you want. It's not our data, it's your data.

foles
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby foles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dondarrion
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby Dondarrion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Mike,

Is taking the December 2014 LSAT too late for the fall 2015 semester? I am debating whether or not it is worth it to delay my LSAT until June 2015 and try for the fall 2016.

I am military and will be deployed until early March (I can take the LSAT while deployed). I don't want to miss out on a good school because I am applying later in the cycle. Is it worth the wait?

User avatar
aibohphobia
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 am

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby aibohphobia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Mike and Karen, thanks for all the advice you've given in this thread thus far. I just entered the admission process with little to no idea of what I'm doing and going through this thread has been tremendously helpful. My questions revolves around the LSAC GPA. I was recently told that a summer camp I went to high school will need to be on my LSAC transcript. It was a camp hosted by a local college where we would get to take college level engineering courses and redeem them for credit in the future if we want. I've never redeemed or used those course and I have a feeling that the performance wont be terrible, but it will likely drop my gpa around .5-.7 points. My GPA is already low as it is (just above 25th percentile at most of T14). I've noticed people sending GPA addendums to explain upward trends, crises, etc and was wondering whether it would be a good idea to send one explaining my situation as well (that my GPA would be higher if not for the summer camp from high school)? Or will schools only care about the actual LSAC GPA cause that's all that matters for rankings purposes?

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Q&A with former Admissions Officers

Postby redsox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:50 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Here is the (essentially) data for this entire past cycle. Enjoy!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/aba-ap ... ious-year/

Also, please feel free to share wherever you want. It's not our data, it's your data.


Mike Spivey, man of the people.


Return to “Free Help and Advice from Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests